Sign in to follow this  
Baron_Georg

first replay for review

this is an attempt to post a replay for CONSTRUCTIVE help, assuming I have posted the link into drop box correctly in order to link it here.    my Leo is not fully upgraded.  highest commander is Lt. rank. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bpsscanykcqpby8/2020-07-26 202111.awr?dl=0

remember this may set the tone for all future reviews or lack there of.  don't be a dick, because it may com back at you.

I may ask for clarification and or different explanations because I may not understand on the first pass.  don't want to fine, just say so.

Thanks for attempting to help an old tread head.

I've had a look at it. Can you please post the result screen (I struggle to make it visible). What's your ping? The footage suggests that it's quite horrible.

Once I know this I'll provide my feedback.

Spoiler

fdassdaas.jpg.c709df3e98adc5265f232fe9458a3043.jpg

thanks I had concerns that I didn't get it posted correctly.   ping is in the 123 to 127 range.   which result screen do you want the overall one from the end of the match, the team  page or the details ?    anything  else like commander set up ?   

Silly question... how do I view someone else's replay?  Windows doesn't recognize it if I just double-click on it to open it.

1 hour ago, Baron_Georg said:

ping is in the 123 to 127 range.

Out of curiosity, where are you playing from?

which result screen do you want the overall one from the end of the match, the team  page or the details ?

Preferably all of them. The more information, the better.

anything  else like commander set up ?

Again, it could also be useful.

It would also be nice to have some context regarding which commanders you currently have unlocked (for potential alternatives).

1 hour ago, knutliott said:

Silly question... how do I view someone else's replay?  Windows doesn't recognize it if I just double-click on it to open it.

I believe you have to paste the replay file into the AW replay folder. Playback of the replay should be done through the game itself. 

38 minutes ago, di_duncan said:

I believe you have to paste the replay file into the AW replay folder. Playback of the replay should be done through the game itself. 

I did also try that (assuming you mean the Recordings folder of the installation heirarchy), and then tried to find it in Dossier -> History but it wasn't there.  Is that not the correct place to look for it in-game?

results screen
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qvpuqe5p4ye0wor/Screenshot 2020-07-27 19.15.19.png?dl=0

team screen
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0d5jvc8qbw7xn5z/Screenshot 2020-07-27 19.16.21.png?dl=0

details screen
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4hxf57bpde67ghe/Screenshot 2020-07-27 19.16.57.png?dl=0

commander set up

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3x0ffqskm7elnqz/Screenshot 2020-07-27 19.30.53.png?dl=0

1 hour ago, di_duncan said:

Out of curiosity, where are you playing from?

southern U.S.

all commanders by rank

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ylmlfmhob6g7yxk/Screenshot 2020-07-27 19.34.36.png?dl=0

since I installed drop box it defaults to having all screen shots linked through it.   sorry if that is a PITA. trying to post actual screenshots is a problem at the moment, old location for screen shots went poof or I am blind and can't see it right in front of me :-)

7 hours ago, knutliott said:

I did also try that (assuming you mean the Recordings folder of the installation heirarchy), and then tried to find it in Dossier -> History but it wasn't there.  Is that not the correct place to look for it in-game?

best rename it to "baron_georg.awr" or something like this. Then paste it into the folder where your own replays are stored. somewhere in users/savedgames/armoredwarfare/...

Then open up the game and in the Dossier tab go to history. Now important: On the top right switch from "Match Results" to "Replays". There you should find his replay and be able to run it.

• Upvote 1

Spoiler

Allright, let me try to provide you some Feedback @Baron_Georg I don't have a shit ping as you do (I don't know how it feels to play at such a high ping), so some stuff I'm pointing out might be ping related and therefore hard to fix. Feel free to ignore my advice in this case.

First of all, as this is a PVE match, we have to look at the team composition before the battle starts. It's already evident, that you're quite handicapped with a Leo compared your teammates. The Obj 640 is a very capable MBT with high dpm. You're no match to this guy damage wise no matter how hard you try (as long as the player playing it is equal or better than you). The same goes for the Hunters. Those should've basically dominated this battle damage wise but they didn't really, all the better for you. Then there's the Anders which has higher damage output than your Leo aswell.

Based on this at the start of the battle you should already be aware that (as long as your teammates are at least OK players) you can't excel in damage in this game no matter how hard you try. Which means on the other hand to perform good you need to farm as much assist damage as possible, all while doing as much damage as possible too.

To farm as much assist damage as possible in an MBT in PVE you should do the following (You should in general try to do this, no matter the team composition):

• Get close to the bots, keep them spotted as long as possible, try to give your teammates a reason to stay behind and sniping the bots spotted by you. This means you should try to stay at the speartip of your team to reach such positions before your teammates. If your teammates are constantly in front of you or besides you you won't farm any spotting damage at all.
  • Try to track the bots with your shots as often as possible. Important: Don't trade damage for this. Damage is always better, but if you face bots showing your sidearmor shoot the drivewheel or tension idler wheel to track them and deal damage. Damage to bots tracked by you always count towards you assist damage no matter who spots the vehicle (exception is if the target is marked).
  • As a rule of thumb if the bots keep targeting your MBT instead of everyone else you're doing it right.

Ok. Let's get to the battle. In general You did OK in my opinion. As described above you were quite handicapped with this team composition. There's still some stuff I'd like to point out:

Some points I've noticed:

• You're playing too cautiously in your MBT. It hinders you from farming assist damage.
  • You bounced quite often on the Anders with HEAT. Try to have a look at its weakspots in the LFP.
  • You're turning your turret in unnecessary directions (especially on the last cap) when looking around. Lock the turret with the right mouse key while looking around, it can save you some time while shooting at a target without the need to turn the turret halfway around your vehicle. 
  • In the last cap you were driving into cover while reloading. This is fine but you returned to your firing position too late which always made you loose some seconds. The bots were not trageting you at all in this situation. Return to your firing position when you have roughly 3s reload left. It gives you enough time to select your target and fully aim in so you can shoot right on time when the gun is loaded.

jztVYVR.jpg

Here you use the terrain as a cover, which would be very good if there were much bots rushing this position. However here you're facing only a handful of bots and you've got the support of the whole team to finish them off. In this situation you're rather hindering yourself with this position (tough it's a good position to bounce stuff, just not practicable in this situation) you're struggling to properly target the enemies due to the terrain. In this situation I'd push up to the marked bradley wreck and use it as a cover for your LFP. Here you can see aswell that there's no way you could farm any assist damage in this position due to the team basically staying on the same spot of the map.

jnFzu64.jpg

Here you're playing way too passive. Use your MBT's armor, play agressive. You should be at the position of the hunter with your MBT. In this case the anders and Hunter probably would've stayed in the back to farm the damage while you spot and deflect the damage. It seems like you're always in the last row of your team which you want to avoid. Keep moving and try to not get overtaken by the other players.

c2B75C6.jpg

In the last cap You were aiming for rather bizarre spots. In both cases you get to shoot the blank sides of those bots. Why do you aim at the center mass of the vehicle when there are a lot safer spots to deal damage (purple marked area) without risking a bounce or miss? Additionally to farm the maximum of assist damage, it would be best to shoot the drivewheels (marked green) of those targets to track them while dealing damage. The targets are basically screaming for you to do this when you get to shoot them this nicely from the sides.

That's what I observed while watching the replay. Hope this helps.

Regarding Freja as a commander: You can use her on MBTs but I'd recommend you to skill her to something like this. Her accuracy skills are in most cases useless for MBTs. 

frejaghojbjerg_skillung_teykey1_031-1.jp

• Upvote 1

Spoiler

havent watch the replay. But your teams vehicles are better than your Leo as Teykey mentions.

Last picture Dont use autoaim, use auto aim only if if you are useing fast vehicles with autocannons and you are circling them.

And remember dead bots are nice cover, use those to push forward so you get all that juicy spotting scores.

If you use autoaim alot it will really affect your scores in a negative way. So stop rightclikcing tanks and start to manually aim yourself.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, TeyKey1 said:

Now important: On the top right switch from "Match Results" to "Replays". There you should find his replay and be able to run it.

Aha!  This was the key piece of information, thanks!

first of all thank you for reviewing the replay.   aiming center of mass is a skill the the US Army drilled into me at Ft. Knox Armor School.  it's a hard habit to break.    I was under the impression that the leo was a support tank and better suited to be farther back not the tip of the spear. is that not the case?      by nature I am a more passive type of player partially because I haven't learned when and where it pays to be aggressive.  regarding player deaths, when not running premium time and boosts how many deaths can one tolerate before you don't get any benefit from the match?  I'm sensing that getting more damage will completely off set  the cash loss from re spawning. so how much damage is needed for this offset to work.  my gut tells me it's going to be a lot more then I am currently producing in any vehicle.  regarding ping 120's is horrible??  what do you play at ping wise?    In my battalion I am frequently going to be out classed by better vehicles since I have only the leo at 9. 

looks like I need to re spec Freja.  the one shown gives her what, faster repair or turret traverse.  I'm lost without the hover over spot information.  

@Norse_Viking  I don't use auto aim.  it's the Army's fault XD.

13 hours ago, TeyKey1 said:
  • You're playing too cautiously in your MBT. It hinders you from farming assist damage.
  • You bounced quite often on the Anders with HEAT. Try to have a look at its weakspots in the LFP.
  • You're turning your turret in unnecessary directions (especially on the last cap) when looking around. Lock the turret with the right mouse key while looking around, it can save you some time while shooting at a target without the need to turn the turret halfway around your vehicle. 
  • In the last cap you were driving into cover while reloading. This is fine but you returned to your firing position too late which always made you loose some seconds. The bots were not trageting you at all in this situation. Return to your firing position when you have roughly 3s reload left. It gives you enough time to select your target and fully aim in so you can shoot right on time when the gun is loaded.

I'll partially disagree with your first point.  The Leo 2A6 isn't a well-armored vehicle in a Tier 10 match, so he needed to be at least somewhat conservative.  My play style is very similar and I do just fine, so I don't think he needs to dramatically change his style.  That said, I got the feeling that you weren't using your mini-map to keep track of targets.  There were several occasions where you took fire and retreated, but then warily crept forward looking for the tank that shot you even though it had already been destroyed by a teammate.  The battle record and mini-map help a great deal in this regard.

Something that I noticed when he was firing at the Anders is that his reaction times were slow.  There were numerous occasions where he had a green shot that should have done full damage, but didn't pull the trigger and then the Anders turned giving him an orange shot as he fired.  Ammo is free... if the reticle is green pull the trigger!

jztVYVR.jpg

Here you use the terrain as a cover, which would be very good if there were much bots rushing this position.

In addition to what TeyKey said, I would add that you're too close to the rock on your left.  If you were farther up the road to your right, this position is a nearly perfect hull-down position for MBTs.  You can sit on the road with only your turret showing and shoot at the incoming enemies.  However, in this particular situation caused by the power of your teammates, getting that hull down position is a bit of a waste of time because you just don't need it with that much firepower on your team.  ASSUMING your teammates stay close and are ready to nuke the enemies as they rush your position at the end of the runway!  If your teammates run off, then you very well may need the hull down position even on a powerful team.

jnFzu64.jpg

Here you're playing way too passive. Use your MBT's armor, play agressive. You should be at the position of the hunter with your MBT. In this case the anders and Hunter probably would've stayed in the back to farm the damage while you spot and deflect the damage. It seems like you're always in the last row of your team which you want to avoid. Keep moving and try to not get overtaken by the other players.

I'd say that the others were being too aggressive, and if they want to play that way more power to 'em.  I tend to use either the same spot as Baron Georg, or the spot behind the bush that's behind the friendly Anders.  That second position gives a small amount of lower hull cover, but doesn't have as good of an angle into the target area so it's a trade-off.

That said, you do want to start moving as each area "ends" sooner than you do.  You're the slowest vehicle on your team, so you need to anticipate movement from point to point and get started before everyone else.

That's about all I can see that TeyKey didn't already cover.  The recommendation to shoot drive wheels when presented with the side of an enemy is particularly good.  I don't think you did poorly, really, you were just out-classed damage-wise on that particular team.  It happens.

23 minutes ago, Baron_Georg said:

aiming center of mass is a skill the the US Army drilled into me at Ft. Knox Armor School.  it's a hard habit to break.

I can only imagine!  That kind of intense training never really leaves you.

25 minutes ago, Baron_Georg said:

I was under the impression that the leo was a support tank and better suited to be farther back not the tip of the spear. is that not the case?

It varies.  That's more-or-less correct in that the Leo's armor isn't top-notch, but MBTs also generally have the most health on the team and that also serves as an "armor" of sorts.  You can be a little more aggressive in a Leo especially when facing bots that fire HEAT, because the Leo's armor is generally very good against HEAT rounds.

27 minutes ago, Baron_Georg said:

regarding player deaths, when not running premium time and boosts how many deaths can one tolerate before you don't get any benefit from the match? 

It's hard to say for sure, but it seems to me that they've set it up so that you can easily respawn once and still get a benefit from the match.  I carry (and regularly use) Field Rebuild Kits, and those are more expensive than the 1st respawn yet I still almost always earn positive credits.  It generally requires the use of a Field Rebuild Kit in a loss to not make any credits.

29 minutes ago, Baron_Georg said:

regarding ping 120's is horrible??  what do you play at ping wise?    In my battalion I am frequently going to be out classed by better vehicles since I have only the leo at 9.

I would love to have your ping, mine is usually 160-180 from the West Coast of the US.  120 is plenty good enough for PvE.

• Upvote 1

humm slow on the gun. . . I wonder if subconsciously I'm waiting for the loader's UP or just trying to dial the shot in. 

which bots fire only heat?  never noticed that or considered that before.  I thought I focus on t 15's, Bradleys, termies and remkas  and  other missile vehicles more.  does the replay show something different? if it does I missed it.

9 hours ago, Baron_Georg said:

aiming center of mass is a skill the the US Army drilled into me at Ft. Knox Armor School.  it's a hard habit to break.

Fair enough. Something we learned too while operating the Leos :happyseal: But please break this habit it really hinders you from improving your results.

I was under the impression that the leo was a support tank and better suited to be farther back not the tip of the spear. is that not the case?      by nature I am a more passive type of player partially because I haven't learned when and where it pays to be aggressive.

Just look at the leo as a tank with a very good accuracy. Therefore you can snipe with it when necessary. However, in this particular match every other teammember was better off in terms of damage. Which forces you to accumulate as much assist damage as possible to get a good result and therefore try to stay at the front. Additionally a hulldown Leo is quite immune to damage so there's not really an excuse to hide behind other vehicles and let them farm the assist damage. It depends on personal playstyle but I'm quite agressive in PVE when it comes to playing MBT. It has become a habit for me because I'm often competing with T15 players and therefore need to farm assist damage to get a good result.

regarding player deaths, when not running premium time and boosts how many deaths can one tolerate before you don't get any benefit from the match?  I'm sensing that getting more damage will completely off set  the cash loss from re spawning.

I don't know in particular as credits are not a problem for me. I hope someone else is able to answer this.

regarding ping 120's is horrible?? 

Certainly depends on the point of view. I have a normal ping of 20-30ms so for me 120ms already sounds quite horrbile.:winkseal:

looks like I need to re spec Freja.  the one shown gives her what, faster repair or turret traverse.  I'm lost without the hover over spot information.  

There's the Hype CSB to test commander builds, good to experiment with certain builds.

9 hours ago, knutliott said:

I'll partially disagree with your first point.  The Leo 2A6 isn't a well-armored vehicle in a Tier 10 match, so he needed to be at least somewhat conservative.  My play style is very similar and I do just fine, so I don't think he needs to dramatically change his style.

It works well enough armor wise as long as you stay hulldown. The problem is that he can do whatever he wants damage wise without reaching a good result. I doubt that even a very good player could outdamage at least the 640 and Hunters in this situation. For a good result in this match he needs to rely on assist damage I don't see any other solution. Of course not always the best idea to play agressive, especially in a Leo.

• Upvote 1

Spoiler

On 7/27/2020 at 4:06 AM, Baron_Georg said:

Thanks for attempting to help an old tread head.

Thanks for being brave enough to post the first replay. The commentary here has been very helpful on my end - I suspect the challenges you face are actually common problems.

16 hours ago, Baron_Georg said:

aiming center of mass is a skill the the US Army drilled into me at Ft. Knox Armor School.  it's a hard habit to break.  ...  regarding player deaths, when not running premium time and boosts how many deaths can one tolerate before you don't get any benefit from the match?  I'm sensing that getting more damage will completely off set  the cash loss from re spawning. so how much damage is needed for this offset to work.  my gut tells me it's going to be a lot more then I am currently producing in any vehicle. 

Yep, we don't get respawns in RL... you have already noted that AW tactics are different from RL armor tactics, so perhaps that distinction will help you here psychologically.  Death in PVE is not as tragic as death in PVP thanks to the respawns... the limit of 2 respawns in PVE helps control the credit losses.  Thanks to free ammo and not using consumables, I have yet to have a negative credit balance at the end of over 1000 PVE matches (even playing badly, using 2 respawns, and no prem time or boosts), so I doubt there is actually a situation where you would lose credits under these conditions. YMMV if you are using consumables, as noted by Haswell in his F2P-from-scratch experiment, or if you totally go afk. Because there are no real deductions for XP (aside from afk penalties) that would make you negative, you are protected there.

So now the question is when to go for the respawn. #1, it depends on your economic objectives... if you are trying to farm XP (to progress a vehicle), the respawn can only help you, as there is no risk to the XP you have already accumulated. If you are trying to optimize your credits-to-XP ratio (saving up for an expensive upgrade), you are still OK if you have a higher tier tank you can play in a later match (which could earn you enough credits to make up for the respawn  even if you didn't play well.)  If you are just trying to grind credits, then you have to factor in the opportunity cost (vide infra.) There is also optimization of credits/hour or XP/hour, but if you are willing to play the game over the long haul, maybe that's not so important. IMHO, there's no economic problem here that can't be remedied by playing a few more matches :-)

So the opportunity cost works like this - how much more damage can I inflict/repel in the remainder of the match?  If everyone else is about to cap, or there's not much time on the game clock left, then there's not enough opportunity to get another hit and create XP / earn credits. You also have to figure in the potential distance from whatever spawn point you might get, and the mobility of your vehicle. (Rather than memorize respawn points and probabilities, just estimate the time it takes to drive halfway across the map.) If you're in a zippy TD/AFV/LT, there's a better chance of getting back into the fight than if you're in a T3 Chieftain. The other opportunity cost is if you burn up all your respawns, you are permanently dead, and miss out on XP/credits for the portion of the match you view from Valhalla.

In scuba diving we have the rule of thirds - use a third of your air supply to descend, a third of your air supply to surface, and keep a third of your air supply in reserve for unexpected problems. With 2 respawns you have essentially 3 vehicles for the PVE match, so I usually think about taking a first respawn without too much guilt as long as there is good opportunity. On the second vehicle once I am down to less than 50% HP I might consider playing more conservatively if I think it will prolong survival, realizing that if I get ambushed, I still have another respawn left.  

Looking at the even bigger picture, if a respawn allows you to experiment a little bit or discover something new, then the credit cost is simply a tuition expense. If you learn something from each time you get blown up, then the respawn will pay for itself in the long run.

17 hours ago, Baron_Georg said:

regarding ping 120's is horrible??  what do you play at ping wise?   

I am in southeastern US with Spectrum cable internet and have 110-140 ping, depending on time of day, which is fine. At peak times (~1700 Eastern) I have had lags going out to 300, which is not playable (time for a coffee break). I think 120-130 ping is decent unless you are shooting at rapidly moving targets (drones, helicopters, UAVs).. then you have to lead more (like shooting skeet or sporting clays). The other time I notice is when multiple players are shooting at the same tank, and their shots land a bit ahead of mine. If this happens frequently in a match, I'll select targets that have lots of HP left, and let others finish them off.

Thanks to @Baron and respondents for this thread. Learning a lot!

DVC,

QR

• Upvote 1

I think the previous responses have already mentioned most (if not all) of my pointers/suggestions, so thumbs up to all who've contributed and I'll try keep my reply short.

One tidbit I'd like to add is the upcoming 0.33 rebalance, which will likely see a universal buff (either direct or indirect) to the DPM of manually loaded 120mm cannons. This means T7 to T9 Leo, Abrams, and Chally variants will most likely become more competitive, especially in PvE, where armament is generally more important than armor.

If you are still grinding the 2A6 in September, it may be easier for you to compete with it, even in uptiers. 

23 hours ago, Baron_Georg said:

regarding ping 120's is horrible??  what do you play at ping wise?

For NA, 120ms is quite average. Even PvP and GlOps can be played with sub-200 ping (assuming it's stable). On the east coast, I get ~100-120ms to Amsterdam, so I'm in the same boat.

Compared to EU and even RU pings however, 120ms is quite high. Most EU players will have sub-50ms connections, while RU players are generally 80ms and under.

Higher pings in PvE are not major concerns, since it is against slower, AI opponents. The game server will only need to register the positions and hits from the 5 human players against the computer-generated opponents (and vice versa).

Connection speeds in PvP modes are far more important, since the server will be simultaneously tracking and calculating the movements and actions of 30 human players. Often, when I am a one-shot, I will fail to register a hit against an opponent despite firing on my screen, since the server registered my opponent's hit first, effectively killing me before the server could receive the packet indicating I've fired as well; therefore invalidating my shot.

However, some aspects of the game will be affected regardless of mode. For example, ATGMs are far more inconsistent (and therefore arguably more difficult to guide) with high pings, since it requires more time to send and receive the packets responsible for guidance. Self-guided ATGMs are far easier to use in this regard.

17 hours ago, di_duncan said:

... the upcoming 0.33 rebalance, which will likely see a universal buff (either direct or indirect) to the DPM of manually loaded 120mm cannons.

Hope springs eternal for those of us who depend on 120 mm. This would definitely make the T6 M1/105mm to T7 M1A1/120 mm transition feel more like an upgrade. Especially after grinding out the 152mm in T5 Starship/Sheridan.

DVC, QR

On 7/29/2020 at 11:55 AM, Quantum_Ranger said:

If you are trying to optimize your credits-to-XP ratio (saving up for an expensive upgrade)... also optimization of credits/hour or XP/hour ... there's no economic problem here that can't be remedied by playing a few more matches :-)

Have discovered playing GLOPs at lunchtime (eastern US, noon EST) has an outstanding credits-to-XP ratio. Eat sandwich while waiting in queue for 6-7 minutes, accruing the wait time credits... most of early GLOPS is moving to capture points, so can finish sandwich while driving if need be. Credits are pretty good even if your team doesn't win, as long as you are capping objectives. A couple of these matches can pay for a whole evening of PVE respawns!  

DVC, QR

On 7/28/2020 at 4:26 AM, TeyKey1 said:

In this situation I'd push up to the marked bradley wreck and use it as a cover for your LFP. Here you can see aswell that there's no way you could farm any assist damage in this position due to the team basically staying on the same spot of the map

Because the team is all bunched up, would anyone choose a flanking position from the other side of the rock, towards H3?  Puts eyes on the cap and crossfire on the Bradleys, and establishes point position to take the secondary at E2. Disadvantage is you will take some fire because you are closest to bots at F5/G5, and with Hunters all the bots might be dead by the time you get there.

mmap.thumb.jpg.3b5003080f2019708204b88a1a0280c8.jpg

3 hours ago, Quantum_Ranger said:

Have discovered playing GLOPs at lunchtime (eastern US, noon EST) has an outstanding credits-to-XP ratio.

GlOps is by far the best mode to grind for XP (aside from heroics) and/or BC (IIRC). It has been my go to gamemode since I've come back to AW in 2018. Even with higher than average ping, PvP is definitely playable, since AW is far from a twitch shooter. 

Unfortunately, queue times for tier 8 and below are quite long, so expect to wait if you are queuing those tiers. Tier 9 and 10 however, are quite active; to the point where wait times can be in seconds instead of minutes.

TL;DR: Play GlOps if you have the chance. It's far less frustrating than Random Battles. Let's get those queue times even lower ;)

3 hours ago, Quantum_Ranger said:

Credits are pretty good even if your team doesn't win, as long as you are capping objectives. A couple of these matches can pay for a whole evening of PVE respawns! 

I've had GlOps games where I've earned >1 million credits without premium account.

So yes, it's definitely a good credit grind :P

Edited by di_duncan
Additional comments (see edit history)

On 7/28/2020 at 5:34 PM, Baron_Georg said:

humm slow on the gun. . . I wonder if subconsciously I'm waiting for the loader's UP or just trying to dial the shot in. 

which bots fire only heat?  never noticed that or considered that before.  I thought I focus on t 15's, Bradleys, termies and remkas  and  other missile vehicles more.  does the replay show something different? if it does I missed it.

For me, the sounds of the reloading are my primary key.  I don't listen to the voices, just the mechanical noises of the reloading process.

As far as bots firing HEAT goes... to be completely honest I don't really know.  I use the "incoming damage" panel religiously, both to figure out what's shooting me AND what they're shooting me with, and then respond accordingly.  Though since ATGMs are mostly HEAT, those do count too.  The Leos are surprisingly resistant to ATGMs (provided you don't just sit there) especially since they're such paper tigers against AP.

Speaking of which... re: don't just sit there... there are two tricks that MBTs can use to great effect while reloading.  One is often referred to as wiggling or dancing, and it means to make small movements back and forth left and right.  You're not turning, really, you're just wiggling the nose of the vehicle back and forth.  This is apparently a common tactic in WOT, and at least in my experience is not nearly as effective as the second trick: bouncing or rocking.  It's the same thing, but instead of left and right, you make subtle movements forward and backward.  This causes the vehicle's suspension to rock (ergo: rocking) and makes it really hard to hit your turret ring or any of the viewports that are common weak spots.

Note that rocking takes some practice.  You can't just spam w-s-w-s-w-s-w-s as fast as you can because that doesn't give the chassis time to react.  There's a rhythm you have to develop, and it's different for different vehicles.  But it's easy to practice because you can see the effect from 3rd person, and once you've got it down it's massively effective even against bots.  It's so effective that you don't even have to always do it - it's often sufficient to see the incoming ATGM, and then start rocking, and that can cause that ATGM to fail to penetrate.

19 hours ago, Quantum_Ranger said:

Because the team is all bunched up, would anyone choose a flanking position from the other side of the rock, towards H3?  Puts eyes on the cap and crossfire on the Bradleys, and establishes point position to take the secondary at E2. Disadvantage is you will take some fire because you are closest to bots at F5/G5, and with Hunters all the bots might be dead by the time you get there.

mmap.thumb.jpg.3b5003080f2019708204b88a1a0280c8.jpg

There isn't line-of-sight from there, or at least not a good one.  The map is cleverly designed, because to get LOS from that flank you have to expose your own flank to fire from the bots that spawn in the north part of F4/south part of E4, and as you said you're also the closest/first target for basically all of the bots that appear in that phase.

That first phase is really a shooting gallery for the players if they just use minimal cooperation.  At least 3 players can set up hull down where the AFV, LT, and MBT players are in this screenshot, and then 2 more can set up where the selected player is (the orange arrow on the "hull down road").  From those positions, all of the players can see the entire runway and just obliterate the bots as they rush forward.  The Hunter AFV in this screenshot looks too far forward to me - all he's done is put himself at risk with no advantage gained.  There's basically no reason to be on the surface level of the runway this early in the match.