Sign in to follow this  
JDBC567

New Player

Hi!

Im JDBC567. I like tanks.

I just started playing AW today and would like to get to know the game better.

Any suggestions for good starter tanks?

Im a fairly experianced world of tanks(pc and blitz) player so are the core mechanics in AW similar?

Thats all for now!

Oh and i almost forgot...do some shells cost more than other ones? Like premium shells or something?

I couldnt find any mention of shell cost in game

Edited by JDBC567 (see edit history)

Welcome to the game, hope you can avoid the temptation of spending money!

6 minutes ago, JDBC567 said:

All low tiers will be rebalanced very soon in the coming weeks (could even be next week), so any advice based on the current meta may not survive for long.

That said, I still personally feel the T-series MBTs are more newbie friendly than the Merkavas and Magachs, because of their combination of high alpha, relatively decent protection and mobility. They aren't necessarily the best at surviving a lot of damage, but learning how to avoid taking damage and capitalizing on your mobility and alpha advantage will significantly improve your skill level faster than playing safe.

I would start with the PT-85 > T-62 > T-72, after that you get to play the "good" vehicles. The T-series from tier 6 and above are all consistently good performers.

Alternatively you can go down the Type 62 > Type 69 > Type 80-II > T-72 path. This takes slightly longer, but you get to have a good tier 4 vehicle to play.

Another alternative is to simply play whatever you like up to tier 6, afterwards you can start investing in the branch of vehicles that interest you the most. Hopefully by then you will have developed your own preferences based on your skill and experience.

23 minutes ago, JDBC567 said:

Im a fairly experianced world of tanks(pc and blitz) player so are the core mechanics in AW similar?

Armor is most effective if you angle slightly, aiming at weak points is crucial, vision control and mobility are extremely important.

28 minutes ago, JDBC567 said:

Oh and i almost forgot...do some shells cost more than other ones? Like premium shells or something?

The biggest difference is probably the ammo types, ammo is completely free here and there are no premium variants. HEAT ammo almost universally deal more damage at the cost of less obvious weak spots, AP deals less damage but could be easier to use. For PvE I'd use primarily HEAT ammo, and only switch to AP if I'm feeling exceptionally lazy or desperate.

Spoiler

On 9/10/2021 at 7:32 AM, JDBC567 said:

Im JDBC567. I like tanks.

Welcome!

I'll disagree with Haswell and recommend the Sol Schreiber tanks.  They were specifically designed with new players in mind and they advance more quickly.

That said, they're a different play style.  The T-series that Haswell recommended are good all-around tanks, but in the upper tiers they're dependent on their mobility because their armor isn't generally as good.  If you prefer a more heavily armored style (at the expense of firepower and maneuverability), then the Merkavas and Challengers are very good.

I couldnt find any mention of shell cost in game

I never played WoT so can't say what the difference might be.  But one difference (or so I've heard) is as Haswell said - there are no costs for ammo in AW.  There are premium vehicles, but they are (allegedly) specifically tuned to be slightly less powerful than a fully unlocked and kitted-out progression tank.  That isn't always the case - sometimes the devs missed the mark and made a premium vehicle OP in one mode or the other - but it's generally true.  You play premium tanks to earn credits faster, not because they're more powerful.

Also, AW is balanced for PvP only.  The devs do not consider PvE when they're tuning the vehicles, so there are some that are just plain bad in PvE.  There are also some that are incredibly overpowered and cause much angst, especially at lower tiers.  (Tier 4 Shilka and Tier 5 XM247 Sgt. York, I'm looking at you.)  The progression Tier 5 AMX-13 DCA is also incredibly powerful in PvE, but it's not quite on the level of the Shilka or York.

In general, it is a good idea to progress in all vehicles at the same time.  This will seem slower at first, but since there is a daily x2 multiplier that you can use once on each vehicle, progressing all of your vehicles at the same time actually doubles the speed at which you progress overall.  This, of course, assumes you can find low-tier battles easily so that you can play each of your vehicles once per day.

You should find that advancing a vehicle to 100% earns you just enough credits to buy the next vehicle in the line, but for that to work you cannot buy retrofits.  At low tiers this is not a problem at all - retrofits are basically wasted on low-tier vehicles so it's best to skip them anyway.  Somewhere around Tier 6 or Tier 7 you'll probably start finding yourself strapped for cash, so at that point it's reasonable to purchase a premium vehicles and use it to grind for credits.  It generally isn't worth buying lower-tier premiums as you advance through those tiers too quickly for them to be useful.  My first premium was a VFM Mk.5 at Tier 6 and it helped me get to Tier 8.  At that point I bought the AMX-10 RCR and that was my credit printing machine for several months.  (Those probably aren't the best options anymore... for me that was in 2016 and 2017.)  If you're going to be playing PvE to earn credits, then at Tier 8 I'd get the BMPT Terminator 2000.  It isn't quite as good as the progression Ramka-99, but the Ramka-99 is OPAF and the Termi-2k is still extremely OP against the bots in PvE.

Have fun!

Another notable difference between AW and WoT is the garage slots. In WoT you need to pay gold to unlock more garage slots, but in AW those slots are free.

There isn't really a need to sell tanks in AW once you're done grinding them (or just don't want to play them anymore) to free up your garage slots, and in fact it is generally better to keep all of the tanks you buy because each additional tank you have gives a small bonus to the amount of XP you earn in matches (there are diminishing returns starting at +20% XP, but you should still be able to get it over +25% if you buy enough progression vehicles and manage to collect a few premiums).

Edited by MK_Regular (see edit history)

On 9/11/2021 at 10:50 PM, MK_Regular said:

you should still be able to get it over +25%

My bonus is currently 37.58% so it really adds up!

I do currently have every progression vehicle and quite a few premiums, but it adds up rather quickly until it gets to 20%.  Yet another reason to advance all of your vehicles at the same time - and then keep them - so that your progress will be faster overall.

+1 on starting with the Israeli (Sol Schreiber) line.  You get a 2x XP bonus for playing the earlier ones, so the progression is a bit faster. They are pretty average for armor/firepower/mobility, so it sets up a yardstick against which the others can be compared.

The economics at low tier are pretty meager, so if you can acquire a premium tank as a "credit printer" it will help a lot.... occasionally there are events that award prems as a free bonus, so if you are patient you can acquire one without too much outlay.

If you can get into a M113 ACAV at Tier 3, it's pretty fun to play... good gun handling, an effective HEAT shell, and an infantry compartment (recommend anti-tank (AT) squad). Of course, this may change with the impending rebalance, but I suspect most of the initial attention will be on tiers 4-6.

Collect the daily bonuses - you get them for just logging on. 25-100k credits actually goes a long way at low tiers.

DVC,

QR.

On 9/19/2021 at 10:44 PM, Quantum_Ranger said:

The economics at low tier are pretty meager, so if you can acquire a premium tank as a "credit printer" it will help a lot.... occasionally there are events that award prems as a free bonus, so if you are patient you can acquire one without too much outlay.

There is an event slated to begin on Sept. 29th with a tier 6 premium MBT as a reward. Based on what little we know about the event so far, it will probably take about 3 or 4 weeks to get the tank, but you should only need to play a few matches per day in order to get it.

As mentioned above, a tier 6 premium should help you print enough credits to get you to tier 7 or 8 before you'll need to start looking at obtaining another premium vehicle.

Edited by MK_Regular (see edit history)