Sign in to follow this  
Privete-Charlie

I haven't played in a while. Armor is Dumb Why?

So I haven't played very much of AW in 2021 and am just now returning. Apparently armor is really dumbed down now? Why is this?
I am talking about driver hatches and view ports and cupolas being removed as weak spots, so that the only weak spot on MBTs now is the lower glacis. 
This change is frustrating me because it makes certain tanks really good and others really bad, depending on the size of the low glacis weak spot. for instance a abrams is going to have more trouble in a frontal battle than a t80. 
Why did they make this change? what prompted it, and is everyone just okay with it?

Never mind, dumb question. I didn't see the dev blog till a moment after writing this haha.

Weak spots = thinking required. Devs don't like this sort of skill because memorizing weak spots is apparently too much thinking, so they dumbed down the game into a point and click simulator.

Meanwhile pubbies who don't know how to shoot at lower plates before still don't know how to shoot at lower plates now.

• Upvote 1

Spoiler

19 hours ago, Privete-Charlie said:

I am talking about driver hatches and view ports and cupolas being removed as weak spots

Most of these things went away in 2017 as part of balance 2.0 (0.19). I may mistake but cupolas as a weakspot was charged even earlier (in 0.14 or 0.15) by applying reduced damage rule to them.

Rationale is simple - player can hide LFP and cannot cupola. Cupolas are WoT thing,  which makes bunch of tanks vulnerable simply based on this trait alone, in AW even before balance 2.0 the damage was reduced to them (mostly), and in 2021 for more than 1.5y AW there is a new balance 3.0 with whole LFP thing (unless you play low tiers where that thing came just recently).

3 hours ago, dfnce said:

Most of these things went away in 2017 as part of balance 2.0 (0.19). I may mistake but cupolas as a weakspot was charged even earlier (in 0.14 or 0.15) by applying reduced damage rule to them.

Rationale is simple - player can hide LFP and cannot cupola. Cupolas are WoT thing,  which makes bunch of tanks vulnerable simply based on this trait alone, in AW even before balance 2.0 the damage was reduced to them (mostly), and in 2021 for more than 1.5y AW there is a new balance 3.0 with whole LFP thing (unless you play low tiers where that thing came just recently).

It just seems incredibly stupid that all MBT front plates and turrets are completely invulnerable from the front unless you shoot he or hesh.

Just...why?

I do come from WoT and WT. But from a general point of view. The current armor design for MBT dont make sense.

14 hours ago, Haswell said:

Weak spots = thinking required. Devs don't like this sort of skill because memorizing weak spots is apparently too much thinking, so they dumbed down the game into a point and click simulator.

Meanwhile pubbies who don't know how to shoot at lower plates before still don't know how to shoot at lower plates now.

Yup, was playing my T80 and a sheridan and a begleitpanzer attacked my from the front, but they didn't even flank me, they just sat there in front of me shooting my front plate and turret HOPING to do dmg I guess. They mighta been bots tho, they didn't really act like players...idk. 

I just REALLY hate the fact that a t90 and a AMX 30 have the same armor profile.

1 hour ago, Privete-Charlie said:

It just seems incredibly stupid that all MBT front plates and turrets are completely invulnerable from the front unless you shoot he or hesh.

Just...why?

I do come from WoT and WT. But from a general point of view. The current armor design for MBT dont make sense.

AW is arcade game. presently with no focus on technical reasoning or common sense.