Sign in to follow this  
Haswell

In Development: Special Operations Mission “Death”

https://aw.my.games/en/news/general/development-special-operations-mission-death

The final Special Operations mission of the current arc is named “Death” after the most dreaded horseman of the Apocalypse and today, we’d like to tell you more about it.

scr1

Click the image to open a larger version

The mission takes place in Batumi, a city that froze over following the supervolcano explosion, which took place at the end of the Spirithaven arc. In it, Igor Kopylov and Ivo Rinaldi encounter another person from Rinaldi’s dark past. And once again, both will be in a fight for their lives.

scr2

We have heavily modified the Coastal Threat map to resemble the frozen wasteland Batumi has become. The marina area is dominated by a crashed ship, which may or may not have something to do with the area’s desolation – or so Igor Kopylov believes.

scr3

The rift created by the ship tore the entire area in two and it is impossible to cross – at least for heavily armored vehicles. You’ll have to fight in two separate teams and while you can support each other from the other side, careful gameplay will be required in order not to run off too far and become an easy prey for marauding enemies. Both teams will then finally unite for the last objective of the mission.

scr4

As objectives and mechanics go, the mission will be fairly straightforward. We aren’t preparing any surprises for this mission. We promise and you can totally trust us!

scr5

This mission will be one of the features initially available in Update 0.37, which will be likely available in September.

scr6

But not to worry – we are already working on the next Spec Ops set of missions coming in 2022.

Split spawns will be entertaining, if I'm to take the "no surprises" at face value I'm willing to bet this will play out similarly to BSI1, except players will have to progress from both sides of the map. This isn't anything new since the starting objective for CC4 also featured defending two different locations simultaneously, seeing this sort of semi-independent gameplay is a good thing.

September will also bring a new contract vehicle as well as the Storyline Campaign resuming. It will be a busy month for sure, I'll be glad to see the BP over by then.

Spoiler

I'm very wary about the split spawns.  The matchmaker already does a poor job of simply putting together platoons... is it going to be good enough to ensure that both splits are capable of completing their half of the mission?  Somehow I doubt it.  And what happens if one side of the split gets eliminated completely because the players are idiots, do something stupid and get destroyed, and then refuse to respawn?