Lenticulas

152 Glops matches - which maps most?

152-glopsmatches.png.f86913061cccfc229f3d9d7e16f8beae.png

just FYI - :-)

and anyway, narrows is annoying just on its own.     

Edit: you can see, there are 2 classes of maps. Roughneck, Ghost field, and Narrows (the maps that can have 10 vs. 10 matches) which take up about 80% of all games for me.  

The 4 remaining maps, that are 15 vs. 15 only, and take up the remaining 15% of games. Pity, because these are the best maps IMHO.

Roughneck is good, Ghostfield is ok, but suffers a bit from constantly having to play it, and Narrows is

a. Crap

b. All the frigging time, and crap.

Edited by Lenticulas (see edit history)

"Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth."

Roughneck is OK. But it is one of the maps, where you can turn defeat to victory if your team manage to control the last 2 caps. Or go from win to loss if your team is unable to secure those last 2 caps. Also feel a little unbalanced depending on which side you spawn in on.

Ghostfield is very good if you spawn on the east side, and secure the north east caps. Why should you secure the north east caps... thats the area where airstrikes are most likely to spawn. This is also a map where you can turn defeat to victory if your team manage to cap and hold the last 2 caps. 5 and 6. The map is a bit unbalanced depending which side you spawn on. And there are to many airstrike spawning.

Narrows OK i guess. Depends on your team.

Grindelwald one of my favourites, here good spotters can really change the outcome.

Dessert crossing Good map

Waterway good map 

Barren divide Ok, but feels to big. Atleast if you spawned in with the Challanger and Merkava

Narrows is much better if you spawn on the north side and play a sniper tank or a fast one that can go at the back of the enemy lines as you are on high ground and have much better options, to play this kind of tanks spawning south is doable, but not so easy. Playing MBTs is much more balanced as you don't have really advantages spawning north or south and most of the caps are well protected against sniping.

Narrows I feel is a bit different than the other maps. Most of the time teams manage to secure their own caps and hold them. Usually the fighting is over cap 3. This is the only Glops map i think where doing damage and not dying can really make a difference, as long as you manage to keep your own cap safe.

Agreed, but still to be in a sniper or a fast mobile tank gives you much more options being at the north, you can get to the back of the tanks on that hill in the first phase or drive all to the right and attack the spawning points or the south side snipers that defend the center of the map and you have the high ground to snipe and the fact that there if a team is not much stronger then the other usually each one defends his caps this can turn the tide as kills are more important.

As a player who enjoys his light tanks, here is my tier list of GlOps maps currently featured in the game:

1. Grindelwald
    • An obvious choice really. An expansive map, with many angles and positions (cover, foliage) to spot and fire from with decent verticality as well. Unique wildcards and capture point locations result in quite a bit of fun (assuming team composition and competence is roughly equal).
  2. Barren Divide
    • Another "proper" GlOps map. Huge, with impressive verticality. Allows for many different LT playstyles while emphasizing spotting and flanking (two very important roles LT fill). Only gripe are the northwest and southeast cap points, as they are very distant from each other and are also relatively congested, which isn't particularly great for LTs.
  3. Ghostfield
    • Quite a surprisingly fun GlOps map to play, despite not being a "purpose-built" GlOps map. Cap locations encourage movement, while snipers and spotters can utilize the interesting geography to counter pushes. Unfortunately, it feels slightly unbalanced (to me at least), as the southeastern spawn seems to have a slight advantage which I believe can be traced back to elevation.
  4. Roughneck
    • Some people hate this map in GlOps, which is totally understandable as the southeastern spawn is significant disadvantaged. However, with LTs, the map is relatively open and offers quite a diverse selection of positions and opportunities to spot, snipe and even flank. It is also a map which encourages LTs to cap, which is nice for a change.
  5. Waterway
    • Another interesting map, which doesn't seem to lend itself well to LTs, but somehow feels pretty great. Honestly not sure why I'm not upset by this map, but the hybridity between urban and open warfare might be the cause.
  6. Desert Crossing
    • The only GlOps particular map which I dislike. Despite its large size, the cap placements and stubborn terrain result in a map heavily favoring armored pushes. The carrier in the center is massive, occupying a large section of the map which is left mostly unused after the first phase. The capture points for the final phase are also heavily slanted towards the spawns of respective team, resulting in futile attempts to capture them.
  7. Narrows
    • FUCK. THIS. MAP. Apart from some sniping positions during the first phase and some hull down positions for specific LTs with unmanned turrets (PL, Anders), LTs and most other lightly armored vehicles are at a significant disadvantage compared to MBTs and other armored vehicles. Both phases revolve around funneling teams to one side of the map where they are expected to trade shots and progressively push onto cap(s). LTs ain't about that tho... Oh yeah, and it's also the only GlOps map which has two phases instead of three.

I hope some of you have similar opinions of the GlOps maps... They certainly aren't perfect. However, GlOps remains the most enjoyable mode in AW for me, and it's the only one in which I can even claim to be playing at a competitive level.