Sign in to follow this  
TheGreenFellow

Operation: Harbinger Mission Timer Overruns Defence Timer, Causing "Defeat" With All Objectives Met, Also Base Defense Not Registering

Game Version: 18.02.2021

Brief Description: More or less what's described in title. Playing this mission, we captured the town and then successfully defended it, killing all visible AI enemies, only to be met with a "Defeated" screen at the end of the mission.
From discussion on the Armored Labs discord, this is due to a timer issue where the mission timer ends before the defense objective timer ends, registering the objective as 'failed' even though at no point was the defense objective captured by the enemy, thereby breaking the mission.
Observing the match results, the defense objective commendations awarded to me appear nowhere in the detailed mission results.

Steps to Reproduce: To reproduce, capture the town as late as possible (~7 seconds or less remaining on capture timer?), then defend it and observe if the mission results in a defeat in spite of all objectives apparently being met.

Result: Failed mission despite all mission objectives being met by players during the course of the mission, and 0 base defense points in detailed results screen.

Expected Behavior: Mission success when all main objectives are met by the player, and base defense points to be successfully awarded whether mission succeeds or fails.

Fixes/Workarounds: Change the objectives and/or mission timer so that the defense objective timer will never exceed the mission length timer. Player workaround is to ensure capture of the town earlier than the indicated timer, or hopefully find and kill all AI enemies before mission timer runs out.

Other Notes: image.png.06d9f2257d37451f106ad5532c7a47a3.png
image.png.635ae749cdb00dd6e25a73402d54a644.png 

image.png

I've never seen this bug, and I've captured the town with less than 7 seconds many times.  I've captured it with less than 3 seconds left before.

I'm not saying that the bug doesn't exist - just that the above repro steps are far from guaranteed to work.

9 hours ago, TheGreenFellow said:

From discussion on the Armored Labs discord, this is due to a timer issue where the mission timer ends before the defense objective timer ends, registering the objective as 'failed' even though at no point was the defense objective captured by the enemy, thereby breaking the mission.

Did you save a replay of the mission in question?  If so, you should be able to take a screenshot at any time after you capture the town and start the defense timer, and before the mission endsm that shows that the time remaining in the mission is less than the time remaining to defend.

I'm also not sure how this bug would be related to capturing the town, other than the fact that the defense timer is triggered by capturing the town.  Knowing exactly what time (game time) you captured the town and then having a screenshot as suggested above might help figure out what causes it to happen.

My guess is that it's related to the delay between capturing the town and starting the defense objective.  That pause is several seconds long, possibly even as many as 10, so that may have something to do with why the defense timer gets set up wrong.