Edit History

di_duncan

di_duncan

Wording

As much as I appreciate immersive audio design, I don't think Armored Warfare (as an arcade-style game) needs to offer a captivating aural experience. I don't even think it has to be visually stunning. Games such as Tarkov require excellent sound design as their gameplay is extensively intertwined with and even dependent on hearing and listening. There is no gameplay advantage to be gained in AW through audio.

IMO, stability and optimization take precedence, especially in a game which has a smaller population. In both of these regards, I cannot say that I am entirely impressed. So there is still a ways to go. The AW team does appear to have their priorities set straight though. 0.33 should overhaul vehicle, commander, and map balance, although there will also be aesthetic (vehicle model) changes as well. Who knows if sounds will also be addressed in the future?

If sounds are to be redesigned, I would love to hear some improved engine notes, as the current sounds are rather dull. Since the majority of driving in AW is done with the third-person camera, the engine is almost always audible to players. While it is easy to distinguish between diesel, hybrid, and gas turbine engines, it would be nice to hear some character and diversity between engines of the same type (such as a turbo whistle). Cannon and other firing sounds are of secondary importance in my eyes (or is it ears?), since they are usually muffled when aiming (in first-person/"sniper mode"). 

There is also a potential informal avenue of respite: modding. Although I am not particularly saavy regarding the technical aspect(s) of AW, perhaps it's possible to replace/substitute sound files? 

di_duncan

di_duncan

As much as I appreciate immersive audio design, I don't think Armored Warfare (as an arcade-style game) needs to offer a captivating aural experience. I don't even think it has to be visually stunning. Games such as Tarkov require excellent sound design as their gameplay is extensively intertwined and even dependent on hearing and listening. There is no gameplay advantage to be gained in AW through audio.

IMO, stability and optimization take precedence, especially in a game which has a smaller population. In both of these regards, I cannot say that I am entirely impressed. So there is still a ways to go. The AW team does appear to have their priorities set straight though. 0.33 should overhaul vehicle, commander, and map balance, although there will also be aesthetic (vehicle model) changes as well. Who knows if sounds will also be addressed in the future?

If sounds are to be redesigned, I would love to hear some improved engine notes, as the current sounds are rather dull. Since the majority of driving in AW is done with the third-person camera, the engine is almost always audible to players. While it is easy to distinguish between diesel, hybrid, and gas turbine engines, it would be nice to hear some character and diversity between engines of the same type (such as a turbo whistle). Cannon and other firing sounds are of secondary importance in my eyes (or is it ears?), since they are usually muffled when aiming (in first-person/"sniper mode"). 

There is also a potential informal avenue of respite: modding. Although I am not particularly saavy regarding the technical aspect(s) of AW, perhaps it's possible to replace/substitute sound files?