Edit History

di_duncan

di_duncan

2 hours ago, knutliott said:

they might just be really good players who are using their abilities combined with teamwork to exploit what's otherwise a fairly small skill window.

Most platoons can be considered this, but only some platoons can consistently perform well and/or win games. The one consistency with tryhard platoons or battalions is their vehicle selection, so we can trace the cause to this common denominator.

As for the PvP "skill window", it varies between tiers, classes, vehicles, commanders, etc.; so you cannot use a blanket statement to presume it is consistently small.

The T-15 for example, is an easy vehicle to play, but one that is quite difficult to master. Most average or below average players in T-15s cannot perform nearly as well as their more skilled/experienced counterparts. This is due to a number of factors (tactics, damage efficiency, ATGM aim, etc.) but it is true nonetheless. 

Regarding the "difficulties" that you list in PvP... most of those sound like mode problems, not vehicle problems.

I thought we were comparing [overall] balance between modes in the first place? See your previous post:

6 hours ago, knutliott said:

If you think balance is bad in PvP... then yeah, you don't play enough PvE. 

In all honesty, that is what you're buying into when you play PvP so you really can't use it as a counter-example.

If we are only comparing vehicle effectiveness in respective modes, then your case here as well as your previous argument about AI cheating becomes invalid (since that too is a "mode problem"). In fact, I can use this same line of reasoning to dismiss the AI cheating, because 'that's what you're buying into when your play PvE'.

at it's core it's a problem of bad players getting themselves isolated where the MTLB or Pindad can abuse them.

If people stuck together and worked as a team in PvP then those vehicles wouldn't be all that great in PvP, either.

I'm curious if you've ever been on the receiving end of one of these HEAT-MP/HE barrages... Assuming you've only played PvE, then you are very lucky not to have.

To be honest, the MTLB and Pindad don't seem to be very popular in PvP mainly due to their inflexibility. As such, they are not objectively good per se (for PvP), but it's the principle behind these vehicles which is so frustrating. It's not at all dependent on player skill, whether that be the player(s) driving the MTLB/Pindad or the players matched against these vehicles, because the vehicles are designed to maximize damage with minimum effort/skill.

In most cases, it doesn't matter how many friendly vehicles can/will fire upon these vehicles, their [high explosive] burst damage and magazine size(s) ensure that they will take at least one friendly vehicle with them. If I just so happened to be one of the unlucky recipients of these rockets, I don't think I would blame my team, but I'd definitely curse the launch platform.

Of course, it's far worse in GlOps (where these vehicle are most common), since players can respawn and the objective(s) force MTLBs/Pindads to come to you or force you/your team to go to them.

I realize that it feels worse in PvP because you're fighting another person and that other person just beat you because of lag or whatever, but the actual advantage/disadvantage encountered has to actually be worse in PvE.

Agreed. But PvE's [relative] leniency (Against AI, FRK, respawn(s), etc.) is also worthy of note. 

The stakes are much higher when there is no amnesty for mistakes. 

di_duncan

di_duncan

3 minutes ago, knutliott said:

they might just be really good players who are using their abilities combined with teamwork to exploit what's otherwise a fairly small skill window.

Most platoons can be considered this, but only some platoons can consistently perform well and/or win games. The one consistency with tryhard platoons or battalions is their vehicle selection, so we can trace the cause to this common denominator.

As for the PvP "skill window", it varies between tiers, classes, vehicles, commanders, etc.; so you cannot use a blanket statement to presume it is consistently small.

The T-15 for example, is an easy vehicle to play, but one that is quite difficult to master. Most average or below average players in T-15s cannot perform nearly as well as their more skilled/experienced counterparts. This is due to a number of factors (tactics, damage efficiency, ATGM aim, etc.) but it is true nonetheless. 

5 minutes ago, knutliott said:

Regarding the "difficulties" that you list in PvP... most of those sound like mode problems, not vehicle problems.

I thought we were comparing [overall] balance between modes in the first place? See your previous post:

4 hours ago, knutliott said:

If you think balance is bad in PvP... then yeah, you don't play enough PvE. 

12 minutes ago, knutliott said:

In all honesty, that is what you're buying into when you play PvP so you really can't use it as a counter-example.

If we are only comparing vehicle effectiveness in respective modes, then your case here as well as your previous argument about AI cheating becomes invalid (since that too is a "mode problem"). In fact, I can use this same line of reasoning to dismiss the AI cheating, because 'that's what you're buying into when your play PvE'.

11 minutes ago, knutliott said:

at it's core it's a problem of bad players getting themselves isolated where the MTLB or Pindad can abuse them.

32 minutes ago, knutliott said:

If people stuck together and worked as a team in PvP then those vehicles wouldn't be all that great in PvP, either.

I'm curious if you've ever been on the receiving end of one of these HEAT-MP/HE barrages... Assuming you've only played PvE, then you are very lucky not to have.

To be honest, the MTLB and Pindad don't seem to be very popular in PvP mainly due to their inflexibility. As such, they are not objectively good per se (for PvP), but it's the principle behind these vehicles which are so frustrating. It's not at all dependent on player skill, whether that be the player(s) driving the MTLB/Pindad or the players matched against these vehicles, because the vehicles are designed to maximize damage with minimum effort/skill.

In most cases, it doesn't matter how many friendly vehicles can/will fire upon these vehicles, their [high explosive] burst damage and magazine size(s) ensure that they will take at least one friendly vehicle with them. If I just so happened to be one of the unlucky recipients of these rockets, I don't think I would blame my team, but I'd definitely curse the launch platform.

Of course, it's far worse in GlOps (where these vehicle are most common), since players can respawn and the objective(s) force MTLBs/Pindads to come to you or force you/your team to go to them.

42 minutes ago, knutliott said:

I realize that it feels worse in PvP because you're fighting another person and that other person just beat you because of lag or whatever, but the actual advantage/disadvantage encountered has to actually be worse in PvE.

Agreed. But PvE's [relative] leniency (Against AI, FRK, respawn(s), etc.) is also worthy of note. 

The stakes are much higher when there is no amnesty for mistakes.