Can somebody direct me to an accurate  game explanation as to how HEAT damage is dealt out to targets.  Specifically why is there a minimum damage listed for a shell when you CAN get below the minimum listed amount.      This is what I understand at present(simplified).  shell hits target-> pen yes, no -> if yes roll damage, post result-> if no, roll damage, ignore minimum damage for shell type post result.   example 7 sequential hits on a Hunter with Heat in the turret. results in 6 hits between 50 an 59 and one for 60.   I know that armor side/front thickness will determine pen or not.  please don't tell me to shoot someplace else that is not helpful.   the example happened yesterday.   Other games have also given similar results across all  target vehicles in tiers 7-10 although usually not 7 below minimum in a row.  Firing vehicles are 7-9 MBTs.  Yesterday's result is the one that made me ask  the question out of frustration. 

Is the game basically saying you have x armor and the pen is y and any left over pen is converted into damage via a formula . Example you have 50 more points of pen than armor so that 50 is converted into damage? or is it more like  OK more pen then armor roll damage and get the occasional below minimum listed damage, with 7 in a row being statistically possible? 

Damage stated is not the minimum damage, it's for lack of a better word the "average" or "base" damage.  Damage then varies by 10% + or - from that number.  So a shell that says it does 500 damage actually has a normal range from 450 to 550.

HEAT bonus damage is being phased out.  IIRC it is supposed to have been removed from Tiers 7-10, but since Tiers 1-6 have not yet been rebalanced it still remains on some of those shells.  (It also apparently still remains on a few Tier 7-10 vehicles, but that's a bug.  Or so they say.)  HEAT bonus damage was a random amount from 0 to whatever was stated in the shell's tool tip, typically 25%.  So a shell that says it does 500 damage could add as much as 125 more from the HEAT bonus damage, PLUS the random + or - 50 from the basic damage randomization.  I.e. that shell could do anywhere from 450 (base damage - 10% randomization) to 675 (base damage + 10% randomization + 25% HEAT bonus damage).

Then to further confuse the issue, there's such a thing as partial penetrations.  I'm not sure how they worked, other than that I've seen HEAT shells do as little as 25% of their base damage when they hit.  I believe that it has something to do with ERA, too.  Note that this is different than the effect you see from HEAT-MP, which triggers on a non-penetrating hit.

Without knowing exactly which vehicles you were using, I can't really say for sure what you were seeing.  But my guess is partial penetrations and the +10% or -10% randomizer.

I'm assuming you're talking about HEAT-MP, which deals a small amount of "chip damage" when it doesn't penetrate. 

Like Knutliott said, the HEAT bonus damage is being phased out and has been removed from all tier 7-10 vehicles. Since you said that you've been encountering this while playing tier 7-9 MBTs, we'll ignore the bonus damage. This leaves us with the "average" damage that is dealt on successful penetration and is subject to a small amount of randomization (+/- 10% on most shells). On some specific shell types (ATGMs, HEAT-MP, etc...) there is also a "non-penetration" damage that is dealt when the shell does not penetrate the target's armour and is subject to the same amount of randomization. In both cases, the damage value given in the shell's info card is just an average value that tells you how about much damage you can expect the shell to do (within reason).

There is a major exception to this, which is uncrewed turrets. Uncrewed take significantly less damage than other parts of the vehicle (it differs between vehicles, but you can usually expect to do 75% less damage) from all damage sources (penetrating hits, non-penetrating hits, and ammo fires are most noticeable).

In the case of the Hunter, the turret is uncrewed which means that any HEAT-MP shell that hits the turret will deal less damage than it would have dealt if it hit the hull.

Edited by MK_Regular (see edit history)

20 hours ago, Baron_Georg said:

example 7 sequential hits on a Hunter with Heat in the turret. results in 6 hits between 50 an 59 and one for 60.

The hunter for example has an unmanned turret... Shots hit on unmanned turrets always deal less damage (most often not more than 60 or something, but it depends on the base dmg of the round you were firing). There are some more vehicles with an unmanned turret, with your main opponent in PvE likely the pl-01. So in this case you would need to find a shot on the hull of the vehicle if possible... 

The final roll value also is updated based on rules specific to commander build used by player (Kwon, Kortez) or commander giving damage boost to itself and teammates in certain proximity (Harper,Duglas). This may help to clear out why certain damage rolls are unusually high or low.