Sign in to follow this  
Haswell

In Development: T-90A Burlak

https://aw.my.games/en/news/general/development-t-90a-burlak

With the updates scheduled for Update 0.34 almost finished, it’s the right time to start taking a look at what comes next. In Update 0.35, due mid-March, we’ll be introducing several new features with the first one being a new Mission Contract. While the missions that’ll come as a part of it will remain mostly unchanged compared to the Stalker ones, the prize will change most definitely. The next vehicle obtainable this way will be the T-90A Burlak MBT.

scr5

Click the image to open a larger version

In Armored Warfare, the T-90 Burlak will be a Tier 8 Premium Main Battle Tank.

But before we get into any details, here’s the usual disclaimer:

The numbers below are very preliminary as the vehicle has not been properly tested. They are sure to change and should only be discussed as an indicator of how we’d like to set the vehicle up.

With that being said:

Unlike the real life prototype, we decided to position the Burlak turret on a more modern and viable platform, the T-90A. As such, the vehicle will resemble the T-90A in many aspects, although there will of course be some differences to make it more unique.

scr6

Protection-wise, the Burlak will lack T-90A’s Shtora-2 soft-kill APS (and therefore the supercharged soft-kill APS ability), but will be instead equipped with the Shtandart APS you know from Object 195. This “prototype Afganit” will not come with the supercharged hard-kill APS ability. It will, however, be possible to install an additional progression upgrade increasing module protection and repair speed.

scr7

Firepower-wise, we’re looking at a T-90A gun with -5 degrees depression and +14 degrees elevation. The gun will of course be automatically loaded and here’s where this tank’s special feature comes in. The T-90A Burlak will feature a special two-round Ready Rack where both rounds have their separate loading timers. Firing one round does not reset the Ready Rack timer for the second one.

scr8

Twin-feed Ready Rack demonstration

As for its mobility and other parameters, the T-90A Burlak will behave roughly like a standard T-90A. At 49.5 tons, it will be powered by 1130hp engine and the maximum speed will be 65 km/h.

Looks interesting, almost too good in fact. Because of the unique RR mechanic, the intraclip time of 2s will be included in the RR reload and brings the actual reload time to some 7.4s. This is before rammer and commander skills, I'm predicting somewhere around 6.5s reload after all the jazz.

6.5s reload with high HEAT alpha should bring the DPM up to the range of 8500-8700. This is dangerously close to top of the line at tier 8, and it comes with a RR too.

• Upvote 1

Spoiler

5 hours ago, Haswell said:

Looks interesting, almost too good in fact. Because of the unique RR mechanic, the intraclip time of 2s will be included in the RR reload and brings the actual reload time to some 7.4s. This is before rammer and commander skills, I'm predicting somewhere around 6.5s reload after all the jazz.

6.5s reload with high HEAT alpha should bring the DPM up to the range of 8500-8700. This is dangerously close to top of the line at tier 8, and it comes with a RR too.

In the GIF, the reload is 9.4 seconds.  Add 2 seconds for intraclip (which you can observe after the first shot is fired) and you have a total of 11.4 seconds to reload each individual rack.

So if you stagger your shots, you can get an effective reload of 11.4 / 2 = 6.7 base.  Lop off another 10% of 9.4 and you're looking at 5.76 with just a retrofit.  It should be easy to get that down to 5.5 with commander and crew skills.

So yeah, this is going to rule at Tier 8 at least in PvE.

I've not played the T90 in quite a while, but this does seem quite good change to a standard / reskinned tech tree tank. 

I think it will be an interesting tank and dare I say it, from first glance this could be a nice 'improved RR' system that could be added to the CATTB for a balance tweak?

1 hour ago, knutliott said:

In the GIF, the reload is 9.4 seconds.  Add 2 seconds for intraclip (which you can observe after the first shot is fired) and you have a total of 11.4 seconds to reload each individual rack.

So if you stagger your shots, you can get an effective reload of 11.4 / 2 = 6.7 base.  Lop off another 10% of 9.4 and you're looking at 5.76 with just a retrofit.  It should be easy to get that down to 5.5 with commander and crew skills.

So yeah, this is going to rule at Tier 8 at least in PvE.

Crap, I did the math wrong, it's even better than that.  11.4 / 2 = 5.7 base, not 6.7.  Which means it should be possible to get the average reload down to around 4.5 seconds, not 5.5.  Yeah, that's gonna be really good.

Although, it's interesting to note that in the demonstration the 2nd reload doesn't start when expected.  After the first shot is fired there's about a 2 second delay (the intraclip delay) before that shot starts to reload.  The second shot is fired at around 6.7 seconds left in the first shot's reload, but the second shot's reload has not started by the end of the animation which is at around 3.1 seconds left in the first shot's reload.  The second shot's reload should start at around the 4.7 second mark in the first shot's reload if all it's waiting for is the intraclip delay.

2 hours ago, knutliott said:

Crap, I did the math wrong, it's even better than that.  11.4 / 2 = 5.7 base, not 6.7.  Which means it should be possible to get the average reload down to around 4.5 seconds, not 5.5.  Yeah, that's gonna be really good.

I'm still not sure how you guys get those values. If you continuously shoot with this system (once second shell rack is empty) you always get a 9.4s reload. There is no parallel reload process. It's always one round at a time. Only benefit you get is that you don't need to pay attention to when you shoot because the reload timer on the second rack does not reset but swap on the first rack slot without adding any intra clip. 

Spoiler

fdassdaas.jpg.c709df3e98adc5265f232fe9458a3043.jpg

1 hour ago, TeyKey1 said:

There is no parallel reload process. It's always one round at a time. Only benefit you get is that you don't need to pay attention to when you shoot because the reload timer on the second rack does not reset but swap on the first rack slot without adding any intra clip. 

Ah, I hadn't seen that.  It sounded to me like the 2 rounds loaded independently, which is how I got my math.

9.4 seconds per round with 1 "extra" thrown into the first reload is much less exciting.

I feel like this ability will be more PVP centered, as it's way more useful there.

Spoiler

fdassdaas.jpg.c709df3e98adc5265f232fe9458a3043.jpg

4 hours ago, TeyKey1 said:

I feel like this ability will be more PVP centered, as it's way more useful there.

Yea I agree.  Most of the recent tanks have been better PvP performers than pve.

On 2/24/2021 at 12:26 PM, Haswell said:

Unlike the real life prototype, we decided to position the Burlak turret on a more modern and viable platform, the T-90A.

Imagine AGDS platfrom could be in M1A2C shoes too. Why not.

2 hours ago, dfnce said:

Imagine AGDS platfrom could be in M1A2C shoes too. Why not.

AGDS should have been on an M1A2 chassis.  That's what it was designed for, not an M1 chassis.

17 hours ago, knutliott said:

AGDS should have been on an M1A2 chassis.  That's what it was designed for, not an M1 chassis.

And they say Russian bias is only a myth.

5 hours ago, JintoLin said:

And they say Russian bias is only a myth.

Is only myth comrade... image.png.fb66a84f995f01b527dc68fdb81a7e86.png

On 2/25/2021 at 1:31 PM, knutliott said:

If my memory serves me correctly, historically it was planned to be put on the M1A1 chassis to make use of all the "extra" ones they were going to retire or dispose of once the M1A2 came into existence.

"If you were not birthed with claws or fangs, store bought will do just fine."

On 2/27/2021 at 9:05 PM, Katsumoto said:

If my memory serves me correctly, historically it was planned to be put on the M1A1 chassis to make use of all the "extra" ones they were going to retire or dispose of once the M1A2 came into existence.

This article from ARMOR, July-August 1996, only refers to the M1A2 chassis (bottom of first column on page 20).  It doesn't mention the M1A1 chassis in reference to the AGDS/M1.

Of course, the whole thing is confusing because the vehicle itself is referred to as AGDS/M1 which kind of implies a basic M1 chassis, but that's actually referring to the M1 series MBT.

5 hours ago, Silentstalker said:

Would it make any difference if we upgraded the chassis? I mean, you'd still be stuck with a paper turret...

Upgrading the chassis would give it better protection against autocannons, which currently tear it to pieces.  (At least in my experience in PvE.)  It doesn't brawl as well as any of the Terminators due to their unmanned turret and better maneuverability, so it has to be played like a tank but can't even really do that with its vulnerability to ACs.  So you end up playing it like an unarmored fire support vehicle.

Oddly, Terminators all seem to have better armored turrets than the AGDS too even though they shouldn't.  Probably some quirk of hit boxes and non-critical components, combined with the fact that you feel any hit on the AGDS turret since it is manned.

Note that having to play it like an unarmored fire support vehicle is a problem because the matchmaker sees that it is "armored" according to its seriously defective requirements, thus might be the only "armored" vehicle on a PvE team.

21 hours ago, Silentstalker said:

Would it make any difference if we upgraded the chassis? I mean, you'd still be stuck with a paper turret...

With 1v1 situation and having proper flanking maneuver, the turret should be faced towards enemy.

Sides would be still vulnerable to regular high-caliber shells, but penetrable AC area is limited, like all higher tier Abrams have in area above of rear drive wheel.

I just took her out for a test drive and discovered a rather interesting behaviour with the autoloader.

Because the reload timer for the second shell does not reset when you fire the gun, it is possible to fire 2 shots in very rapid succession. Normally, if the second shot is already loaded when the gun is fired, there is a 2-second loading cycle before the 2nd shot can be fired. However, I have found that is it possible to bypass this loading cycle by firing the first shot when the second shot is nearly finished loading. The exact timing between shots depends on how precise the player's timing is when they fire the gun; I managed to get the interval between shots down to one tenth of a second in the test ground (with 0 ping), but with a bit of practice and a consistent internet connection this should be replicable in a live match.

I'm not entirely sure if this behaviour is intended or not, but it seems a bit broken. Without knowing what the devs intended, I would expect there to be a minimum of a 2 second reload between shots even if the 2nd shot has less than 2 seconds remaining on its load time, but this is obviously not the case.