Sign in to follow this  
Haswell

Arty Buffs (and GlOps)

Yeah, unfortunately there's still almost nothing arty can do that a TD can't do better.  The indirect fire capability is at such a low angle that for most purposes, you have to be in a direct-fire position anyway, or you are so far away that you end up with a three and four second flight time, which makes scoring hits pretty much impossible unless they're just stopped and waiting for you to nail them.  And the arty warning makes sure they aren't. 

The new support shells are neat, unfortunately they're also kinda useless.  Maybe if the WP round had ~3x the burst it has now to make up for effectively zero damage?  Or if arty had its actual flares back, or something.  At present, arty is still just a gimmick as far as I can tell.  You're better off sniping with a MBT than playing arty as an indirect-fire weapon system.  

WP round clearly needs some adjustment, the engine damage is 0(on 10+- games i might lit up a tank or 2 at most), area is tiny, and on top of that, you don't reset caps with it.

I almost agree with @Komitadjie, even if there is some situation where an arty is better then a TD, ie in the 3rd spec op, where WP and the 3-4 HE burst can almost take down the first tank you meet, the one partially on cover behind that house at the left, that a direct fire tank can struggle to pen. Also when there is a cap filled with tanks close together you often can score direct hits on one of them while doing splash damage on 1 or 2 more, and being lucky have 3 or 4 of them in the area of your WP. also when you play at close range behind your MBTs the WP+burst can be really strong if you pop out of cover as the bots are occupied with your MBTs, so don't shot at you, as you can't, but also have not to aim at weak spots. You can soften that annoying hull down bot MBT for your own ones make their life much easier. To shot at moving tanks needs skill and practice, it is possible to predict both the shoot delay and the speed of the tank and shot exactly when he will be, I am still practicing it and I am far from perfect doing it, but I see how with more skill and experience then mine it can become pretty reliable.

But overall a TD is better, no doubt about it, I think that the arty did its best in Random battle, when it was an interesting tactical component of the battle, the team that was able to sneak behind the enemy lines to kill it had a great advantage. In PvE only few maps are designed in a way that let the arty do its job and other ones, like Banshee, are a nightmare if you play them with arty, as you have no camo, no armor and no line of fire, while in Phalanx an arty can be pretty useful, even if will anyway rank low as playing arty way will do very little spotting.