SgtPimpek

View ranges and spotting ranges

Did a few rounds today and I noticed that the view ranges are increased as well as spotting ranges. 

Any of you guys noticed any changes? Got spotted and shot at from enemys way back on the map... also SPOTTED warning is delayed

any?

While playing PVP I did not notice any of such behaviour. According to the Patchnotes there should be no change to those mechanics at all. (But Mygames does some stealth changes occasionally)

What do you exactly mean with the term "spotting range"?

The Spotted warning is delayed since like nearly forever. I think the delay is around 2s after you got spotted the warning appears.

Greetings.

Spoiler

fdassdaas.jpg.c709df3e98adc5265f232fe9458a3043.jpg

devs have stated that there is a delay to getting the notice of being spotted now....usually after you have been hit 1 or more times....another bullshit crap added ...most modern vechiles ( we are in the future ) have sensors to know if you are being spotted ( laser sighted, like most radar detectors now )...the devs need to get their heads out of someones ass and breath some fresh air.......just saying

On 3/17/2020 at 12:42 AM, hellheat said:

devs have stated that there is a delay to getting the notice of being spotted now....usually after you have been hit 1 or more times....another bullshit crap added ...most modern vechiles ( we are in the future ) have sensors to know if you are being spotted ( laser sighted, like most radar detectors now )...the devs need to get their heads out of someones ass and breath some fresh air.......just saying

Am I missing something here? Where have the devs recently stated such information? The spotting delay is a mechanic of AW that's been there for as long as I can remember. It does not have to do with any hits but is just a simple time delay. 1.5 or 2s.

Modern tanks do not have a device to magically know if they are spotted. The stuff you're talking about ist to know when you're being targeted (Ie being lasered for example) and in that case you're probably screwed anyways.

• Upvote 1

Spoiler

7 hours ago, TeyKey1 said:

The spotting delay is a mechanic of AW that's been there for as long as I can remember. It does not have to do with any hits but is just a simple time delay. 1.5 or 2s.

^ There has always been a delay, and there are upgrades available for some vehicles to reduce the "spotted" delay (eg: Merk 4M)

On 3/16/2020 at 7:42 PM, hellheat said:

most modern vechiles ( we are in the future ) have sensors to know if you are being spotted ( laser sighted, like most radar detectors now )

No, modern vehicles only have sensors allowing them to recognize when they are being actively targeted and/or fired upon. AW is not Steel Beasts, if we based all gameplay elements on reality, third generation thermal imagers found on all modern MBTs would vastly outrange and outperform the smaller, less capable optics on the "light tanks" we see in-game.

Would this make MBT performance more realistic? Yes. Would this also make scouts and spotting entirely irrelevant? Yes.

7 hours ago, TeyKey1 said:

The stuff you're talking about ist to know when you're being targeted (Ie being lasered for example) and in that case you're probably screwed anyways.

^ @hellheat make the distraction between being spotted and being designated. The equivalent of being lasered in AW is being designated, which has no delay and which involves audio/visual feedback.

I did play some pve games today and yesterday and also i have the same feeling of the OP about being spotted, with the same commander and tank, in places where i usually did not get spotted.

Nothing i can prove or be 100% sure, but it seems to me that something, maybe in the spotting and camo mechanics, but maybe in the view range of the ai driven tanks, is different since the new update.  We all know that the AI tanks are not the same ones we drive, so changing the view range of some of them, without any change to the camo and spotting mechanics, is something that can happen, without the developers having to tell us about it, while i am sure that they don't change the spotting mechanics without telling us about as it would have consequences in the pvp modes.

before  mycom now allods developers, there was no delay as to when you were spotted this is new ( relatively speaking ) to the current game developers, and the time from when you are spotted to the time it shows is crap. run a m48 gau8 the first notice that you are spotted is the 500+ damage you get from an out of range vechile . and yes i know that  every AI vechile in pve  makes you a first hit target in the game ( the  m48 unit)

3 hours ago, hellheat said:

before  mycom now allods developers, there was no delay as to when you were spotted this is new ( relatively speaking )

I did a short research, as I'm pretty sure that the delay has been there since the closed beta (at minimum). I found the following Update 0.11 Patchnotes which were published on 19. November 2015:

Spotting Changes

We have updated the spotting indicator with three states to better inform players of their current status:

• When the player is initially spotted the full icon will be displayed
  • After the initial spot, the text and border will disappear from the icon
  • During the transition to the unspotted state the icon will go gray using the same duration as the spotting delay
  • Camouflage Indicator now changes color to show negative camouflage. Negative camouflage is possible when vehicles that already have low camouflage values fire their cannons
  • Updated the smoke grenade icon to improve the quality of the graphic

At this time Obsidian was the developer of the game and my.com the publisher. This has nothing to do with my.com/my.games developers at all. As this mechanics have been there even before Update 0.11 I'd not call that "new" either.

3 hours ago, hellheat said:

run a m48 gau8 the first notice that you are spotted is the 500+ damage you get from an out of range vechile

This is the perfect description/example of why this delay mechanic does actually make sense. Otherwise, as @di_duncan already said, spotting would be more or less useless.

Spoiler

from the game guides 

https://aw.my.games/en/about/game-guides/spotting-and-camouflage

“Spotted” Indicator – an icon that appears on the screen whenever your vehicle is spotted. This indicator is present for all vehicle classes but while for most of them it activates only 2.5 seconds after you become spotted by someone, it is instant for the majority of the Armored Fighting Vehicle class, allowing it a bit more time to retreat to compensate for its fragility (the bonus is in fact granted by the Reckon Package module that many AFVs have). 

my bitch is the time is greater than the 2.5  as stated.

Edited by hellheat (see edit history)

2 hours ago, hellheat said:

my bitch is the time is greater than the 2.5  as stated.

Have you tested that? And how long is it then?

I'd not rely on the gameguides to gather numerical game values. Those guides are very old and have never been updated properly. The guides give a good general overview on how something works. However, the numerical values represented are often not correct anymore. I can't tell you the exact value but as a rule of thumb it should be ~2s.

Speaking from a PVP/GLOPS perspective I personally did not notice any change of the delay duration.

Spoiler

Just now, hellheat said:

i usually play pve ..

They won't change something like that solely for PVE I think. Aswell I do play PVE it's just not my favorite mode. Same as with the other two game modes I did not notice any different behaviour in this mode. That's why I'm asking you how you have tested the spotting delay and how long it is according to your tests.

I know it's longer than 2.5s according to you, but I'm wondering how much longer it is exactly. To my knowledge the devs have not stated any change reagrding those mechanics neither PVE/PVP in the last several updates.

Spoiler

Well you tell me,  once you have been hit, the little eyeball should light up. Since the delay to vanish is the same as the spotting delay.

During the transition to the unspotted state the icon will go gray using the same duration as the spotting delay   

Edited by hellheat (see edit history)

30 minutes ago, hellheat said:

once you have been hit, the little eyeball should light up

The spotting indicator has nothing to do with being hit.

What happens is the following:

1. You get spotted by the enemy

2. Spotting delay gets triggered (~2s) (You don't know that you're spottedt yet but the enemy already sees you as a spotted target and thus can shoot you)

3. After the spotting delay time has elapsed you get the spotting indicator on your UI (Now you can safely say that you're spotted)

4. Enemy stops to spot you, now the spotted icon on your UI turns grey. The enemy can still see your tank silhouette

5. Spotting delay gets triggered again (~2s) (Your spotting icon is grey and teh enemy can still see your silhouette)

6. After the spotting delay time has elapsed the icon disappears and your tank vanishes completely from enemy POV.

I do not really know how you get to the conclusion that your spotting icon should light up as soon as you got hit by the above mentioned text.

Edited by TeyKey1 (see edit history)

Spoiler

this is the most current  information  i found: 

These spot checks are not permanent – to make the system manageable, these checks takes place using a certain frequency that decreases with distance. In the early iterations, spotting checks at long distances were performed roughly once per 2 seconds, the current maximum value is once per 0.8 seconds with the closest checks being considerably more frequent (the frequency of the checks was increased both in Update 0.20 and Update 0.21).

The distance the rays travel (spotting distance) is not, however, infinite. The maximum value it can theoretically have (that is equal to maximum vehicle render distance – 808 meters) is reduced by a number of factors that include:

• Vehicle View Range
  • Vehicle Configuration (modules, retrofits, commander skills)
  • Enemy vehicle camouflage (also depends on many factors)
  • Environmental camouflage (bushes and other foliage)
  • Action (moving, firing a gun)
  • Game Mode (PvE has additional special rules)

Please note, however, that the maximum currently achievable view range value is 534 meters.

and in pve the viewing distance is half the stated ranges

@hellheat What does that have to do with the spotting delay? Nothing.

You keep using irrelevant information to justify your claim.

I've explained to you above how the spotting indicator works. If you want to believe me or not is up to you. I think at this point it's better if we just stop arguing over that and stop wasting our time. 

Edited by TeyKey1 (see edit history)

Spoiler