Sign in to follow this  
Haswell

VT4, missile-slinging thundercuck

Most gun-launched ATGMs tend to have lower alpha than their ballistic shell alternatives, making them not particularly desirable to use if there's no gimmick involved. The VT4 on the other hand, is one of the rare handful of vehicles that offer significant advantages with missile spam over conventional shells. More importantly, it's fun to play because it's so different. Let's take a look:

SUE3dAv.jpg

Firepower: pretty damn good (as long as you spam missiles)

First things first, 8.6k DPM. This gives the VT4 the third highest DPM out of all the tier 8 MBTs, just shy of the Ariete/Evo at 9k and Merk 3 at 8.7k. On the other hand it also has the second highest alpha at 805 after the 72B3's 850, and also the highest penetration at a whopping 1100mm pen. This gives you very short TTK against most targets even if your DPM isn't the highest, and there are zero targets that you can't penetrate one way or another. The reload time is also extremely short for the amount of alpha you dish out, spam those missiles and keep spamming them until there's nothing left to shoot at.

The downsides of relying on missiles only are obvious: deflection shooting at moving targets is very difficult due to the slow flight speed of the missiles, and you are very susceptible to softkill and hardkill APS. The remedy to this is simple: always try to get closer to your targets, particularly those with APS. Get close enough so that you can't possibly miss, this shouldn't be too hard in the current corridor meta.

Also note, missiles have pinpoint accuracy when not affected by softkill.

5q9ARlq.jpg
Seriously good missiles. Spammable too.

Durability: 0.33

Lower plate weak, upper plate strong, turret strong, sides paper. Your typical 0.33 armor scheme, nothing particularly worth mentioning.

Okay, I lied. Upper plate is decently resistant against 825 pen AP and 1100 pen HEAT on flat ground, but starts to fail beyond that. It is mostly protected by ERA blocks that can reliably stop missiles, but take care of the corners that aren't covered by ERA.

Terrain awareness is important, do not let stuff shoot you from above.

qKWTmzd.jpg

Against 825 pen AP

VLsPSEP.jpg

Against 1100 pen HEAT

Mobility: very agile

Overall mobility is pretty much the same as all the other MBTs because 0.33. The only noteworthy aspect is that the VT4 has very fast hull traverse, possibly best in class in tier.

mP1KGxQ.jpg

Speen to ween

Vision control: irrelevant

You are MBT, why do you care?

Conclusion: fun to meme

In the 0.33 era of boring as fuck uniformity, anything that stands apart from the cookie cutter vehicles should raise eyebrows. VT4 is one of the very few vehicles that can be competitive using gun-launched missiles, this makes it a welcoming breath freshness that is even fun to play at times.

Do you know how rare it is for me to say something is fun in the game? I'm saying VT4 is fun, that's one of the highest praises I can give.

Build recommendations:

Commander: whatever MBT commander you fancy. If you are one of those special people with dedicated commanders for ATGM vehicles, they will work nicely as well.

Driver: off-road, hull traverse. Why would you use anything else?

Gunner: ATGM control, turret traverse. Remember, ATGMs have no aim time and pinpoint accuracy, this make the usual gunnery skills outright useless.

Retrofits: rammer/filter/optics. Or whatever setup you prefer for MBT, just don't worry about aim time and accuracy stuff.

Consumables: gas/repair/medkit. You are already dead if you get set on fire, and more mobility never hurts.

• Upvote 2

Spoiler

You might be thinking of the VT5 bots, they do spam missiles I noticed but not the VT4.

I haven't seen a lot of VT4 bots yet though, so I'm not sure.

Spoiler