Sign in to follow this  
Haswell

In Development: Wheeled AI

https://aw.my.games/en/news/general/development-wheeled-ai

In the near future, we’ll be making several major changes to the AI vehicles and today, in the first part of two articles focused on PvE, we’d like to tell you more about the first one – the addition of wheeled AI vehicles.

Adding these vehicles hasn’t been easy as the engine originally didn’t support their pathfinding. Simply put, they could go forward but not steer properly and were getting stuck all the time. For some time, we considered implementing these vehicles by using various workarounds. For example, one idea was to create “invisible fake tracks” and allow the vehicles to behave kind of like tracked vehicles would have, including turning on the spot and so on.

Naturally, that’s not an ideal state of things and could lead to some strange situations. That is why we took our time and did it right. Wheeled AI vehicles will therefore behave the way they are supposed to.

The obvious question at this point is, how will this affect your gameplay experience? After all, there won’t be more AI vehicles per map, they will just be different.

Right off the bat, we are not interested in making you suffer through more ATGMs. The added wheeled vehicles are mostly armed with guns and we’ll be making sure that the ATGM situation doesn’t become worse, for example by not introducing the most notorious wheeled ATGM launchers (such as the Shadow or Kornet-EM) to the AI pool.

Here’s the preliminary list of the wheeled vehicles we’ll be adding as AI opponents:

• AMX-10 RCR
  • B1 Centauro
  • B1 Centauro 120
  • B1 Draco
  • CRAB
  • Dragoon 300
  • EE-18 Sucuri II
  • ERC-90 F4 Sagaie
  • FV721 Fox
  • LAV-150
  • LAV-150 90
  • LAV-300
  • LAV-600
  • M1128 Stryker
  • OA-82 Jarmila II
  • OT-64 Cobra
  • OT-65A
  • PTL-02 Assaulter
  • Rooikat 76
  • Rosomak
  • Rosomak M1M
  • Sphinx
  • ST1
  • Stryker ADATS
  • VCAC Mephisto
  • VBL TOW
  • VBL INGWE
  • VBR
  • Wilk
  • Wilk XC-8
  • ZBL-08
  • Zhalo-S
  • Zubr PSP

Are there any more wheeled vehicles that you’d like to see as AI opponents? Let us know on Discord!

But that’s not all. More changes are coming and we’ll tell you more about them in the next part. Until then:

This could either go very well or very badly, depending on the bot spawn criteria. T-15 and Termi spawns might be lessened as Wilk and Cent 120 take their spots, but then you'd also have to deal with ADATS and Memephistos. Bradleys might become extremely rare at tiers 9-10 because Crab and Sphinx will occupy the spawns.

On the plus side, the Swingfire and Wiesel spam at mid tiers may get replaced by the LAV-600 and ERC.

Spoiler

24 minutes ago, Schlock said:

Imagine SPHINX lieutenants' view range. It can even spot you from another PvE mission!

That actually made me snort my coffee!  :-)

I think the addition of wheeled vehicles will be good overall, if for no other reason than they're all soft and easy to kill.  By all means please replace a T-15 with an ADATS!

(No AGDS... could it be because they can't make the AI deal with its wonky missiles?  Maybe they should fix the missiles...)

All these "new level of challenge" AI vehicles are still easy food for player Termi and T-15. And Obj 195 with his unprecedented MBT / 30mm autocannon combo.

AMX 10 RCR is in the PvE AI ranks for awhile, maybe they reworked its movement. What i really want is to see AI vehicles without hull rotation and blocking glitches.

2 hours ago, knutliott said:

I think the addition of wheeled vehicles will be good overall, if for no other reason than they're all soft and easy to kill.  By all means please replace a T-15 with an ADATS!

Yeah, I agree in general, more variable targets are always a good thing. I'm getting really sick of murdering Bradleys/T-15s constantly. However, all of those are soft-skinned and they will be just easier to munch with your own T-15 or Ramka or whatever. Give us more MBTs as targets, come on mycom!

14 hours ago, knutliott said:

(No AGDS... could it be because they can't make the AI deal with its wonky missiles?  Maybe they should fix the missiles...)

I asked about the AGDS atmg's hitting like 20m in front of you (in the deadzone) or 250+ behind the target - this is intended behaviour.  Now I'm sure we can all agree that a tank with 12 ATGM's where 6 of them go no where near your aiming point and fly off at random distances / direction shouldn't be the way it is, but apparently it is.