title says it all.  was wondering if upgrading  1) cpu only 2) gpu only 3) cpu  and using current gpu 4) both cpu and gpu  would change fps

What do you currently have?

There are a mix of different players that have different specs and the FPS is bad in certain maps / areas no matter what specs you run because the game is on the Cryengine and isn't optimised.  

If you have overall bad FPS on everything, there is another thread with some tips on improving it

My understanding is that AW is primarily CPU dependent provided you have a reasonable GPU.

For what it's worth, I'm running AW on a GTX 770 graphics card.  That's over 7 years and 5 generations old if you've lost count.  Until it started having heat problems (presumably due to the age of the card and the fact that I never turn off my computer), it was able to run AW on High settings at 60 fps.  I'm now running everything on Medium to give the card a break.  So AW doesn't really need much in the way of a GPU.  The CPU in this computer is an Intel Core-i5 4690K which is almost 7 years old itself.

I did just order a new system, though, which will get me caught back up with nearly-top-tier systems.  Core-i7 10700K CPU with an RTX 3080 graphics card and 32 GB RAM.

6 hours ago, Baron_Georg said:

I 5 3470 @ 3.2  Ghz   with a nvida 750TI card  12 Gb system memory

That's very similar to my current system (see above) so you shouldn't have any problems.  That said, if you're going to upgrade at this point I'd upgrade both - your CPU and GPU are both very old (as are mine) so it's probably best to upgrade both to keep their generations similar.

21 hours ago, Baron_Georg said:

I 5 3470 @ 3.2  Ghz   with a nvida 750TI card  12 Gb system memory

This is pretty decent setup for 1080p@60fps

I ran i5-760 with GTX 460 for almost ten years, had FX/water/particle options disabled I got stable 60 fps even in GLOPS where people claim they can't reach 25 fps even on 3-4 yo setups. 

Also these newer nvidia cards have fast sync option on board which in combo with 60 fps limiter makes wonder (even on CP2077 which made all RTX 20xx series obsolete).

I don't know about anybody else but the prices for Gpus especially are outrageous 1500+ US for a card that has a MSRP of 300.  and on top of that nobody but scalpers have any GPUs in stock.

16 hours ago, Baron_Georg said:

I don't know about anybody else but the prices for Gpus especially are outrageous 1500+ US for a card that has a MSRP of 300.  and on top of that nobody but scalpers have any GPUs in stock.

It's indeed a very bad time to buy new hardware

Spoiler

fdassdaas.jpg.c709df3e98adc5265f232fe9458a3043.jpg

17 hours ago, Baron_Georg said:

I ordered my new rig from Alienware (which is now owned by Dell) and paid MSRP for my RTX 3080.  Large companies that sell turn-key systems are getting what they need, it's just the DIY market that's having problems.

I.e. if you want to buy a whole new computer you can get basically any card you want.  But if you only want the card you're going to have a tough time finding one.

Computer prices are insane right now.

Through a few vendors I've used in the past, I can't get down below a certain price point so I'll wait for a bit.

"If you were not birthed with claws or fangs, store bought will do just fine."

Yeah Alienware has always been out of my  budget.  (was really hoping for an 800-900 USD build)   1 to 5K for a computer is nuts who has that kind of money.