Haswell

December 23 Q&A (from Discord)

Wort wort wort. Am sick, head hurts.

• The "auction" was My.com's idea.
  • No current plans for any more progression vehicles. New players have enough choices as it is, and old players have so much credits/free XP stocked up they can afford to skip the grinds entirely.
  • There aren't a lot of possible new vehicles that aren't variants of existing ones or gimmicky.
  • BP access is "free" because you can get free gold every week (note: assuming 100 gold from the login every week, it will take 30 weeks of non-stop logins to get the 3000 gold required for basic entry. And the BPs pop up every 180 days or so, hardly enough time for players to get enough gold for "free" access)
  • Next Raid will come after the BP, or near the end.
  • Devs feel that spec ops are more desired than normal PvE, but not everybody thinks so.
  • 1 new normal PvE mission in 2021, hopefully.
  • Nuke HE shells might not be working as intended. (note: just shut up and enjoy them while it lasts)
  • 3 more spec ops missions this "season" (note: I really hate that word...)
  • No plans for entirely new vehicle classes.
  • No plans now for more infantry commands.
  • AI behavior and pool changes in February. Wheeled vehicles are coming.
  • Tier 1-6 rebalance maybe mid-2021. Will not be in 0.34.
  • Around 15-20 new vehicles planned for 2021.
  • Chip damage from missile spam is intended. May get reviewed later. (note: devs really don't play their own game, do they...)
  • Current state of arty is more or less final.
  • Sound updates will come in 0.34, in the form of engine updates.
  • Steam players account for roughly 5% of the total CCU (note: Steam has roughly 250 CCU, so that means total CCU is around 5000)
  • CCU is stable.
  • 3-4 months between new maps. Next spec ops map in March/April.
  • New Hades vehicles for buttalions (note: https://armoredlabs.net/index.php?/topic/6017-new-hades-vehicles-coming-soon/)
  • Vehicle skins not being changeable with terrain is an engine limitation. Skinned vehicles are essentially entirely new vehicles.
  • No plans to change the XP gain formula.
  • No plans for build saving for commander or vehicles. Too hard to code, too few users.
  • New PvP maps soon. No new Glops maps.
  • No plans for user-uploaded battalion logos, risk of people uploading dicks is too high.
  • 5 new maps in total for 2021.
  • From the PvE poll last month, ~70% respondants wanted new PvE missions over spec ops. ~55% are fine with reusing old maps for PvE. Devs are rustled.
  • PvE randomization is being looked into.
  • MBTs as the top rewards for BPs is intended, as they are the most popular class. (note: I wonder why they are so popular, maybe poor balancing?)
  • No plans for the base system.
  • No plans to expand the testing grounds.
  • No plans for more infantry skins/models. Too expensive.
  • New crew system is being worked on, no time frame.
  • No plans for "dealerless" vehicles to be reassigned to existing dealers. Any vehicles in a particular dealer will have to appear in the tech tree and available for purchase, so code limitation. (note: why not gate them behind some unobtainable requirement, like the Shadow in the Faraday tree? When players get/buy the vehicle just check off the requirement and let the game play itself.)
  • No plans for a gifting system, fear of scams.
  • Next BP will be more interesting than "German tanks"
  • The ZTQ anniversary event was a shitshow because of the lootboxes. Was intended to boost sales, but at what cost?
  • It is "sad" that my map rotation stream get more views than actual gameplay streams.

• Upvote 2

Spoiler

some adding from me 

• No T-80 line planned
  • New challenger 2 coming to game probably "Street Fighter(imo this one)" or "Black Knight"
  • Swiss Leopard with 140mm planned
  • There will be buffs to the Khrizantema
  • There will be model updates to Russian T series tanks
  • Vickers will recieve new gun but not soon (you can choose between two)
  • There will be new Swedish vehicles
  • Some leopards will be buffed
  • There will be BC events if AW fucks up again so highly possible
  • There will be no MLRS
  • Joshua's swap skill will be fixed
  • Some Leopards will get baracuda skins
  • some skins that given out free throughout this year will be saled in february
Edited by Yxlouvia (see edit history)

ss said we get fps drops because our pc are too weak, but i got 3 pc with more than enough power to run this game on ultra, and my main pc can run every game at 4k ultra at 60fps except this game, no matter the resolution, but when multiple bots with 900rpm autocannons fire i drop to mid 40 fps and some times even mid 30. my main pc has a 6950x and a 2080ti and i get this problem, the one at work has a 7700k and a 1080ti and has the same problem, and my laptop with a 6700 and a 980m suffer the same. a lot of people i know got the same problem so its not our pc fault but the game. and the game suffer with sounds as well with autocannon, the audio engine almost dies and start crackling, in all of my pcs and again im not the only one suffering from this. i was disappointed by his answers about this matter. and obviously im sad we wont be getting any progression tanks, but i understand why, people got shit ton of free xp and can unlock everything immediately, one way to fix this is by removing free xp above a certain level, people wont be spending it on anything so there wont be any losses.

• Upvote 1

T-80 is like the T-72, once the first few were in even the Devs didn't want to have 101 versions of the tanks in the game. As that would be bad for everyone.

The T-72 is getting fixes (models) and the T-80 has long been on the list to fix with the data collected a long time ago... its been waiting its turn. Much like the M1.

Just now, Captiannemo said:

T-80 is like the T-72, once the first few were in even the Devs didn't want to have 101 versions of the tanks in the game. As that would be bad for everyone.

The T-72 is getting fixes (models) and the T-80 has long been on the list to fix with the data collected a long time ago... its been waiting its turn. Much like the M1.

i cant stand the era on t80b turret, its placed too high on the cheeks. its my favorite tank and i get sad every time i see it. cant wait for them to fix it

2 minutes ago, Pesa_ said:

i cant stand the era on t80b turret, its placed too high on the cheeks. its my favorite tank and i get sad every time i see it. cant wait for them to fix it

Thats because it was done wrong... How? nobody seems to be sure yet. The Devs have the corrections for it, plus the shape of the turret(rear and rear underside, and rear side), plus other things to do when it gets fixed.

Edited by Captiannemo (see edit history)

7 minutes ago, Captiannemo said:

Thats because it was done wrong... How? nobody seems to be sure yet. The Devs have the corrections for it, plus the shape of the turret(rear and rear underside, and rear side), plus other things to do when it gets fixed.

i think the era placement was never fixed because they forgot about it, i think it was in obsidian era as well so they had a lot of stuff going on at that time 

1 hour ago, Pesa_ said:

i think the era placement was never fixed because they forgot about it, i think it was in obsidian era as well so they had a lot of stuff going on at that time 

They did know. Obsidian. But it was long kicked down the list because other things that were broken needed fixing. Which, frankly, was the right thing to do. Unless it was a severe issue it was always kicked down the to do list. Only so many things could be done in a given amount of time.

Edited by Captiannemo (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Haswell said:

No plans for user-uploaded battalion logos, risk of people uploading dicks is too high.

Now, that is funny because they did in the beginning allow for user uploaded battalion logos.  They were screened for things that were "offensive" in nature.  They did say at one point that there would be more logos added.

4 hours ago, Pesa_ said:

ss said we get fps drops because our pc are too weak

This whole thing has been going on like the whole Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck "NO! It's rabbit season!" scene and has always been an argument since the first night of beta.

For the longest time if you were in the garage your GPU ran at 100% power and 100% load even in the simple garage.  You could even dial your settings down and the game would stumble along.  One of the guys I played with had a rig that could rock out Crysis/BF/CoD with every setting set to max with zero issues, but having settings in AW to the modest middle of the road settings he couldn't hit anything that was moving because it was so bad.  No, it was a PC issue.

The last time I saw anything from support about it something in a patch had changed and I couldn't get my frame rate out of the teens and I was told to install the latest video drivers.  When pressed to tell me which one they recommended they said it was the latest ones but the version number they posted was one about 6 months old.  It is a lost battle.

4 hours ago, Yxlouvia said:

Swiss Leopard with 140mm planned

I hope that its not the original 2A7 that was in the game before the 2AX.  I loved the 2A7 and played the hell out of it.  If they add it back in I'll be very upset about it.

"If you were not birthed with claws or fangs, store bought will do just fine."

4 hours ago, Katsumoto said:

I hope that its not the original 2A7 that was in the game before the 2AX.  I loved the 2A7 and played the hell out of it.  If they add it back in I'll be very upset about it.

Uh, there was never a 2A7 in the game. It's always been the same tank model, but with different names. And at some point the gun was remodelled from 140mm to 130mm.

I still have impression that this supposedly Russian technology demonstrator game looks stalled without T72B3 2016, T90M and T80BVM

10 hours ago, Haswell said:

The ZTQ anniversary event was a shitshow because of the lootboxes.

It looks especially shiity when compared to WoT 10th year anniversary. WoT simply gave me many missing free and event premium tanks, plus other stuff for just a login.

I think anniversary event should just like this, actually attract people, let them forgive and reconsiliate. In AW approach the purpose and effect to piss this remaining 6-8K playerbase to max extent, rip off them for cash. Here is issue big  ass salesman should understand. If f2p players in noticeable numbers get the in-game item for free, while others don't, there is no reason to spend hefty pile of money for such "exclusivity". That what exactly we got. We were told to pay a price worth AAA game for 50 boxes which don't even gives us to chance to collect 50% of missing parts.

13 hours ago, Haswell said:
  • Tier 1-6 rebalance maybe mid-2021. Will not be in 0.34.

Yes the PVE experience at these tiers is annoying its a alpha strike situation where playing low tier vehicles get wiped in 2 hits from bots Atgms, that why it turns into a dps war where you wipe the bots before they dump alpha strikes into you. it's really the lack of effective armor and lower hitpoints make this an uncomfortable experience.

Can you take a look at targeting for bots because I've been spotted in a soft skinned vehicle pop smoke and get alpha strike by every bot out of render range shooting at my position.     

Edited by LeoAegisMaximus (see edit history)

9 hours ago, Silentstalker said:

Uh, there was never a 2A7 in the game. It's always been the same tank model, but with different names. And at some point the gun was remodelled from 140mm to 130mm.

https://aw.my.games/en/news/general/vehicles-focus-leopard-2a7-140

Then what is this then?  I know, because I played the crap out of it when I got it until it got the heck nerfed out of it because it was the only thing that could counter the T-14 when it came out.

2 hours ago, Katsumoto said:

Then what is this then?  I know, because I played the crap out of it when I got it until it got the heck nerfed out of it because it was the only thing that could counter the T-14 when it came out.

Like I said, it was the same model, just a different name.

8 hours ago, Katsumoto said:

Old Leo2A7+ and Leo2AX use the same model, i confirm this.

Swiss Leopard with 140mm planned

We're talking about this one I assume:

92nluef8pqt21.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

That would be a must have for me. Please be a non prem :angelseal:

• Next Raid will come after the BP, or near the end.

BP/Raid seems to be working fairly well so no reason to do anything different or even add progression stuff which doesn't earn money anyways.

image.png

This I found very interesting as well. I was expecting that it would work better than the previous one but that sounds a damn lot better. The skins were well made no matter if you liked them or not. 

Spoiler

fdassdaas.jpg.c709df3e98adc5265f232fe9458a3043.jpg

53 minutes ago, TeyKey1 said:

image.png

This I found very interesting as well. I was expecting that it would work better than the previous one but that sounds a damn lot better. The skins were well made no matter if you liked them or not. 

They did really good K2 and Leclerc skins in my opinion, very artistic and unique. These ones will be really hard to beat with something better.

But it seems they already want to retreat from this approach and going to produce mediocre skins again.

4 hours ago, TeyKey1 said:

BP/Raid seems to be working fairly well so no reason to do anything different or even add progression stuff which doesn't earn money anyways.

image.png

When it comes to programming, I have always associated time as a significantly more costly resource that money.  It hard for me to understand they why that resource would be spent in some ways towards something  like a skin which must have taken a ton of time and from what I've read about the Hades skins it really isn't a texture as much as a whole new vehicle and used for other things that could be more of an improvement in the game.  The last ones looked far better than the previous ones but I guess SS's response summed it up about just how hard it was to accomplish.

Fun fact, the Kraken skin concept was one of the few actual community skins. It came from one of the mods, Eisenherz. The result is very much based on his work, although the final design was of course done by our developers.

• Upvote 1

hey ss tell us something about thermal sights and gun stabilization in this game as both are not existing in this game.

You can barely hit a target less than 100m away while moving and You cant spot multiple tanks less than 100m away if they are behind half a meter tall bush 

also tell as something about permanently banning players from in game chat and discord for no apparent reasons and lying about that in forums where you cant ban people

obsidian = fun, fast, laser accurate, sniping, aiming for weakspots unique game while listening their players

mail run= way way slower, blind, inaccurate, constant module repairing, fraction of dmg, copy paste brainwashed weakspots across the board, frustrating and nerfed cash grab while banning their few remaining players

1 hour ago, smudlicko said:

hey ss tell us something about thermal sights and gun stabilization in this game as both are not existing in this game.

You can barely hit a target less than 100m away while moving and You cant spot multiple tanks less than 100m away if they are behind half a meter tall bush 

also tell as something about permanently banning players from in game chat and discord for no apparent reasons and lying about that in forums where you cant ban people

obsidian = fun, fast, laser accurate, sniping, aiming for weakspots unique game while listening their players

mail run= way way slower, blind, inaccurate, constant module repairing, fraction of dmg, copy paste brainwashed weakspots across the board, frustrating and nerfed cash grab while banning their few remaining players

We do not generally comment on player infractions.

Thermal sights are in the game as various vehicle modules increasing efficiency to spot targets through foliage. Having "actual" thermal views would not benefit the game in general, as Spotting is not done by the player (like in WT RB) but the system and respective stats. 

Regarding stabilization: Yes it's not. At least not how it is in a real world case. You can lock on targets which more or less does what stabilization does plus it tracks the target. Otherwise you need to do it manually. However, I think adding such a feature would rather reduce the skill requirements of a player and also not promote fun arcade gameplay. It's somewhat resembled in how big the aiming circle gets during driving. Some LTs are quite accurate during movement for example.

You cant spot multiple tanks less than 100m away if they are behind half a meter tall bush 

Well that's how the spotting system works in some cases.

Spoiler

fdassdaas.jpg.c709df3e98adc5265f232fe9458a3043.jpg

2 hours ago, TeyKey1 said:

Thermal sights are in the game as various vehicle modules increasing efficiency to spot targets through foliage. Having "actual" thermal views would not benefit the game in general, as Spotting is not done by the player (like in WT RB) but the system and respective stats. 

Regarding stabilization: Yes it's not. At least not how it is in a real world case. You can lock on targets which more or less does what stabilization does plus it tracks the target. Otherwise you need to do it manually. However, I think adding such a feature would rather reduce the skill requirements of a player and also not promote fun arcade gameplay. It's somewhat resembled in how big the aiming circle gets during driving. Some LTs are quite accurate during movement for example.

Well that's how the spotting system works in some cases.

skill requrements ? 

there is no such a thing in this game anymore, its just point and click as every tank is paper like. If you want skill then 5 years ago obsidian introduced actual weakspots which required actual skill.

Now, you are fighting with inaccuracy, heavily nerfed mobility, critical hits for zero dmg, fraction dmg hits, and that's all skill that this game requires.

Nevertheless its rather frustration and mostly only dmg per minute is determining outcome of all PVE games.

There is nothing more to it anymore 

6 hours ago, smudlicko said:

there is no such a thing in this game anymore, its just point and click as every tank is paper like. If you want skill then 5 years ago obsidian introduced actual weakspots which required actual skill.

I agree that changing the armour profiles massively reduced the amount of player skill needed to perform well, however I am of the opinion that it skewed the lower skill requirements in favour of the MBTs rather than all of the things trying to kill the MBTs.

For example, the infamous armour weakspot below the gun mantlet on the Abrams used to be a juicy target for anyone who knew what they were doing, but the Abrams player could cover up the weakspot by pointing their gun at the ground between shots (I used to do this a lot on the XM1A3). with the revised armour profiles, that armour weakspot was removed and now players don't need to think about covering up that part of their turret front to avoid taking damage, reducing the amour of skill needed to play the Abrams. 

Now, you are fighting with inaccuracy, heavily nerfed mobility, critical hits for zero dmg, fraction dmg hits, and that's all skill that this game requires.

I the order that you mentioned them:

• Yes, vehicles in AW are significantly more inaccurate than they are irl, if they had irl levels of accuracy you would be able to snipe weakspots on tanks on the far corner of the map. At these ranges, the game does not render vehicles and some smaller objects because it would be too taxing on many player's computers. Instead, the game compresses the engagement ranges to a few hundred meters (and then compresses them again by a factor of 2 of PvE) to give maps a sense of variety and scale that they would not otherwise have without making the map feel empty (reducing the level of detail) or increasing the system requirements
  • As far as I can tell, this isn't really the case. Most vehicles seem to accelerate at a rate that one would expect a multi-ton chunk of steel to accelerate at (sometimes even a bit faster than one would expect in some cases) and have similar (if not identical) top speeds to what the actual vehicles have
  • Scoring a zero-damage hit and getting a "critical hit" feedback indicates that your shot hit an external module (gun barrel, gunner's sight, tracks, etc...), even if it didn't do any damage to the tank itself. This situation is a good candidate for getting the voice line used as feedback changed, but I cannot think of anything good to change it to
  • One of several things could be happening here:
    • You hit a tank with a HE, HEAT-MP, or PELE round but didn't penetrate (this was originally introduced by Obsidian, then expanded upon later)
    • You hit an uncrewed turret for reduced damage (this has been around for as long as I can remember, possibly since Obsidian was still around)
    • You hit the tank with an ATGM (this is a recent change, one that I think is dumb and unnecessary)

Nevertheless its rather frustration and mostly only dmg per minute is determining outcome of all PVE games.

There is nothing more to it anymore 

Damage per minute is far from the only deciding factor in PvE, although it is definitely 2nd most dominant factor after player skill. If damage per minute was the dominant factor, games would be entirely dominated by T-15s and Terminators and you'd never see low DPM vehicles taking the top spot for XP earned, and yet in the last 20 games I've played...

Leopard 2AX beating an ADATS and a GAU:
image.png.3eee76ab8119f5b4c5d59950c2b9ce6f.png

A pair of T-90s beating a Terminator 2017 
image.png.2a44ee9d8531ad121d6cb196edae6f64.png

An ATDU (2nd worst DPM at tier 10 after the Shadow) beating a beating various tanks in XP earned and damage dealt
image.png.44b83a81f663e24bc607df6bb10575b7.png

image.png.3a85249c6bd32aad36ea5fd910275736.png

A pair of T-14s beating a Terminator 2, a Kornet-EM and a GAU
image.png.cc7165db0e355aacb94861ca0fc1ef00.png

If DPM was the primary deciding factor for a PvE match, none of these results would have been possible. While the role skill plays in determining the outcome of a PvE match has been reduced in the last few patches, skill is still the primary determining factor.