Sign in to follow this  
Arto

M1 Abrams series redux collection

List of changes:
Every Abrams model now has physics-enabled mudflaps from XM1
M1A1 uses Storm's camo net and turret props
M1A1 AIM uses Storm's turret props and is reskinned to a desert color instead of the Liberty skin
M1A2 uses Warhammer turret props
M1A2, M1A2C and XM1A3 use CROWS and an additional .50 cal on the cannon base (credit to @TobiichiOrigami)
XM1A3 now also uses M1A1 AIM's engine cage.

Image gallery:
https://imgur.com/a/JafVnwx

To install, simply drop contents into your localization\<your language>\ folder.

Edited by Arto
fixed missing texture (see edit history)
  • Upvote 8

Updated the download to fix a missing sideskirt texture for the AIM.

• Upvote 1

Not unambiguous impressions of the changes in this mod. In some ways, of course, it is better than it is in the game by default now.
 However, there are elements that were superfluous, as for me.
Well, for example: why was it necessary to "stretch" a camouflage net on the M1A1 when there is a "Storm" with the same net and this is one of its unique features?

On the M1A1, it was worth placing a large-caliber machine gun on the turret based on historical data. An additional machine gun near the equipment is not necessary, by the way, given that this is not some modification of the HA +
(similarly with the M1A2, an additional machine gun near the gun is useless, except that for the M1A2C it will also be relevant for the XM1A3, my opinion, of course, based on historical facts)

But the most cringe here is the rubber elements to protect against mud splashes.. this is really cringe and the number 1 reason for me not to install this mod, unfortunately.

And why did only XM1A3 give an anti-cumulative grille to the stern ??? After all, all tanks, starting with the M1A1, have mounts for it at the stern. After all, it was possible to make sure that all (except M1 at tier 6) tanks, complete with dynamic protection units, had an anti-cumulative grille.
(M1A1 and M1A2 would have received a grating on the stern when dynamic protection would be installed, M1A2C and XM1A3 would have it immediately, because they have dynamic protection units installed by default)

By the way, this was the case with the M1A1 before, in the best years of this game, when installing dynamic protection units, the tank also received an anti-cumulative grill on the stern.

On 8/1/2022 at 1:40 AM, Arto said:

cool bro

bruh

And is that all you can say? 
It would be really cool if with the help of the mod it was possible to return the M1A1 and M1A2 Abrams models to what they were in this game at the end of 2015. With the same dark green base paint. And so that when installing dynamic protection units, the M1A1 should install a cage on the engine (even if just as a "dummy", without affecting the mechanics of the game). Or maybe it's worth adding this cell for M1A2, similarly when installing dynamic protection units. And nothing else to change in appearance. They were great then.

Edited by OwO_Ishimura (see edit history)

Mod development is entirely based on the vision of their authors, it's literally a case of making what they want and not necessarily what others desire.

Arto's mod here isn't aimed at replicating real-life models, but more about what the vehicles could have plausibly looked like after field modifications and retrofits. XM1A3 being the only vehicle to receive the butt cage is likely an intentional decision to differentiate it better from the other Abrams variants.

If you don't agree with Arto's design decisions, you are always free to make further changes yourself too.

• Upvote 2

Spoiler

On 8/1/2022 at 8:00 AM, Haswell said:

Mod development is entirely based on the vision of their authors, it's literally a case of making what they want and not necessarily what others desire.

Arto's mod here isn't aimed at replicating real-life models, but more about what the vehicles could have plausibly looked like after field modifications and retrofits. XM1A3 being the only vehicle to receive the butt cage is likely an intentional decision to differentiate it better from the other Abrams variants.

If you don't agree with Arto's design decisions, you are always free to make further changes yourself too.

you are absolutely right, of course! Apparently I was misunderstood or it looked like I came here to demand something. No, it's not.

The fact is that Abrams tanks are one of my favorites in this game, ever since the closed beta test, at a time when this game was still about tank battles and tanks from different suppliers really had their differences, including booking, and not like now when everyone is shooting at each other from a roundhouse in the bottom sheets in front and everything is supposedly fine.

I just came here to voice my opinion about the modification I saw, as well as my ideas, suddenly someone will read and agree with them, take it and implement it competently. I definitely couldn’t, I don’t understand this at all, and it personally seems to me that it’s probably extremely difficult to take models of the same Abrams from the end of 2015 and introduce them into the current game. At the same time, I think that some craftsman could probably do something like that.

Regarding the question from me to the author "is that all you can say?" it was without negativity and the desire to provoke some kind of conflict, I'm really interested to know his opinion about what I said earlier and what he saw in the video, I would like to read a detailed opinion, that's all.

I can only suggest making a second version of the mod (so that people have a choice), if the author is of course interested in this at all.
In the second version, you could do this:
M1A1 gets a cage on the engine when installing dynamic protection units (there is nothing else to change there, unless we are talking about replacing the entire model of course)
M1A2 gets a cage on the engine when installing dynamic protection units, as well as a remote-controlled turret on the turret (which only M1A1 Storm has in the game now)
M1A2C and XM1A3 get a cage for the engine, a turret for a remote-controlled turret, and an additional machine gun for the gun (which now only the M1A1 Storm has in the game)
Of course, it would be ideal to paint the M1A1 AIM in historical camouflage, but this is more difficult, I suppose, so the option with sand paint is not bad in principle. He could have been given a machine gun on the tower and, in general, everything, nothing else in particular and there was no need to fuss there.

I think that for all Abrams tanks you can use various elements from the appearance for the historical M1A2 ("war hammer", it seems to be called), starting with the M1 and ending with the XM1A3 in order to emphasize the differences in design with minor details.

This is only my suggestion / wish, not a requirement, and I do not indicate what the author of the mod should do or not do.

14 hours ago, Arto said:

cool bro

First of all, I want to apologize if my comments were meant to be purely taunts for the sake of ridicule, I'm sorry. I did not pursue such a goal and this is true.

I understand that what you did is not easy and you did it according to your preferences, deciding to give everyone the opportunity to try this out for themselves, just like that.

I voiced my opinion about what I saw (maybe I should have somehow chosen other words for this) and expressed my suggestion / wish / remark. Of course, you don't owe or owe anything to anyone.

At the moment, I have only one question: what file or files are responsible specifically for the tanks to have mud protection rubber on the stern of the tank? What needs to be removed so that it doesn't show up? I was interested in XM1A3 in this form and with the same cage on the engine, it would be interesting to play in this form.

I would also be interested to know your opinion on what I said and showed, did you even play at a time when the Abrams were good and looked more aesthetically pleasing than now?

• Upvote 1

I'm here and I'm in a positive mood, later it will become clear why.

To begin with, I want to express my gratitude to Arto for this mod (pack?), despite the fact that not all of his author's ideas in mod I personally liked, despite the misunderstanding that arose in the discussion of this mod - thank you Arto!

My knowledge of modding "Armored Warfare" is absolutely non-existent, so I certainly could not create the mod on my own in the way I wanted to make it. However, thanks to Arto's mod and his hint to a person in a discussion of another mod (how to remove a specific element that I didn't like in a mod for a tank's appearance), which I paid attention to today - I was able to eliminate the "extra" (in my opinion) and give the necessary to that particular tank, which I wanted the most.

And although it currently does not look so authentic (due to the fact that the tank models were spoiled by the developers), I am glad at least for this opportunity.

Thank you Arto and thank you to all those who make mods for this game. It's really cool and it's important!

And so, I want to share here small guides (perhaps it will be useful to someone), there will be only two of them.

A) How to remove  mudflaps from the stern near the rear rollers from the tank?

Answer: very simple.    

In the folder "M1A1" we find and open the file "m1a1--m1a1.cdf", then we need to delete the line completely: <Attachment Type="CA_BONE" AName="mudflaps" Rotation="1,0,0,0" Position="0,-0.05,-0.21" BoneName="hull" PA_ReceiveCustomization="1" Binding="objects/vehicles/mbt/xm1/phisical_detachparts_hull.cdf" Flags="0" />

After deleting the line, close the open file with the editor and agree to save the changes. That's all.

This can be done with any of the tanks in this mod if you want to remove the mudguards. The main thing is to open the desired file with the name of the tank you need and find the desired line there, and then delete it completely and save the changes.

I did this first on XM1A3 because in this version of the mod I didn’t like only mudguards in it, otherwise it was very coolly redone.

Let's make the Abrams great again!

92132269_p1.jpg

After successfully removing the mudguards, I decided to do a little brainstorming and it hit me! I thought, what if I can do what I want to see for several long years, just making small changes in mod, guided by logic. And I decided to try. What was my shock from the fact that, as a result, everything turned out the first time and worked just perfectly! I launched the game and was skeptical about this, but everything worked out. I am very happy!

Which is where the next guide comes from, hehe.

B) How to return the cage to the M1A1 Abrams engine?

Answer: it's not difficult to do this, using the files of this mod, of course.

And so in order:
1) In the "M1A2" folder, copy the "m1a1_cage.mtl" file and paste it into the "M1A1" folder.
2) In the folder "M1A2" we find the file "m1a2--xm1a3.cdf" and open it with an editor.
3) Find the line: <Attachment Type="CA_BONE" AName="cage_hull" Rotation="1,0,0,0" Position="0,0,0" BoneName="hull" Binding="Objects/vehicles/mbt /m1a1/m1a1aim_era_cage01_hull.cgf" Material="Objects/vehicles/MBT/M1A2/m1a1_cage" PA_ReceiveCustomization="1" Flags="0" />

We copy this line completely from beginning to end, after which we close the file.
4) In the folder "M1A1" open the file "m1a1--m1a1.cdf" and then paste the copied line so that the line "<!--MOD END-->" is one line lower.
5) After inserting the copied earlier line, we need to find "/M1A2/" in it and just change the number "2" to the number "1". After such editing, close the file and save the changes. Easy, right?

The result should be a line: <Attachment Type="CA_BONE" AName="cage_hull" Rotation="1,0,0,0" Position="0,0,0" BoneName="hull" Binding="Objects/vehicles/ mbt/m1a1/m1a1aim_era_cage01_hull.cgf" Material="Objects/vehicles/MBT/M1A1/m1a1_cage" PA_ReceiveCustomization="1" Flags="0" />

After such a procedure, you should have an M1A1 Abrams in the game with a cage on the engine, which will be synchronized with the selected paint  and camouflages.
 It will be on the tank regardless of whether dynamic protection units are installed or not. Not critical. The main thing is that she is. I've missed it ever since after "Obsidian", some unknown developers who didn't even have a name began to remake the vechicle  in the game.
(and sad and significant decisive changes in the game took place in the spring of 2017)

Just in case, I’ll throw it off completely as it’s written in my “m1a1--m1a1.cdf” file, but you should consider that I removed everything else, since at the moment for the M1A1 Abrams I only needed a cage for the engine and nothing more ( ideally, of course, to return the authentic model of the tank at the time of the end of 2015 - the beginning of 2016, but this is probably completely fantastic)

I have it written like this: <CharacterDefinition>
 <Model File="objects/vehicles/mbt/m1a1/m1a1--m1a1.cga" Material="Objects/vehicles/MBT/M1A1/M1A1_Hull" />
 <AttachmentList>
  <Attachment Type="CA_BONE" AName="antenna02" Rotation="1,0,0,0" Position="1.2823913,-2.0999532,2.5238092" BoneName="antenna02" Binding="objects/vehicles/vehicles_common/antenna_short.cdf " Flags="0" />
  <Attachment Type="CA_BONE" AName="antenna01" Rotation="1,0,0,0" Position="-1.1534978,-2.1744652,2.6110883" BoneName="antenna01" Binding="objects/vehicles/vehicles_common/antenna_short. cdf" Flags="0" />

<!--MOD START-->

<Attachment Type="CA_BONE" AName="cage_hull" Rotation="1,0,0,0" Position="0,0,0" BoneName="hull" Binding="Objects/vehicles/mbt/m1a1/m1a1aim_era_cage01_hull. cgf" Material="Objects/vehicles/MBT/M1A1/m1a1_cage" PA_ReceiveCustomization="1" Flags="0" />
<!--MOD END-->
 </AttachmentList>
</CharacterDefinition>

So far, I haven’t really thought about whether it’s really possible to “move” cage engine on the M1A2, M1A2C or M1A1 Storm using the method described above. Don't know. I do not know yet, I have not tried, I have not checked. It seems to me that something else will need to be changed there in the "m1a1_cage.mtl" file itself, to prescribe something so that this engine cage is relevant not only for M1A1 and XM1A3.

You don't need to copy the .mtl file anywhere, because the attachment line already calls for the same file in the same location, that you copied without understanding.

Well, it's time to finish my mini guide  for those who might need it.
  - Come on, let's go! (sounds of hitting the locker in the gym locker)

Some time after the solution described above, I finally decided to figure out whether it is possible to install an engine cage on other Abrams tanks and yes, it is possible and everything turned out to be much easier than I thought.

a) To install the engine cage on the M1A1 and / or M1A1 Storm, we need a line of code:

<Attachment Type="CA_BONE" AName="cage_hull" Rotation="1,0,0,0" Position="0,0,0" BoneName="hull" Binding="Objects/vehicles/mbt/m1a1/m1a1aim_era_cage01_hull.cgf" Material="Objects/vehicles/MBT/M1A1/m1a1_cage" PA_ReceiveCustomization="1" Flags="0" />

You only need to find the CDF file with the name of the tank you need, open it and correctly paste the corresponding copied line. Then close the file and save your changes. It's all.
Easily? Definitely.

b) To install the engine cage on M1A2 and/or M1A2C you need a line of code:

<Attachment Type="CA_BONE" AName="cage_hull" Rotation="1,0,0,0" Position="0,0,0" BoneName="hull" Binding="Objects/vehicles/mbt/m1a1/m1a1aim_era_cage01_hull.cgf" Material="Objects/vehicles/MBT/M1A2/m1a1_cage" PA_ReceiveCustomization="1" Flags="0" />

The procedure is similar, not complicated and not long. Easy, right?

And finally, if after manipulating the files and lines of code to get the engine cage, there were problems with the M1A1 AIM (for example, permanent camouflage began to be displayed again), then after you have changed everything and are no longer going to do anything with the lines of code in the files, install this mod and agree to a replacement if needed.
  This is the solution to a possible problem. True, most likely his engine cage  will still be the base color of the color of the M1A1 Abrams. For me, it’s not critical, and the tank itself is the ugliest of all Abrams now, and it’s extremely unfavorably located on tier 8 of equipment.

I am not an expert, so I can not offer another solution yet.

Dy2R5QvVAAAsijS.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 8/14/2022 at 4:24 PM, OwO_Ishimura said:

I'm here and I'm in a positive mood, later it will become clear why.

To begin with, I want to express my gratitude to Arto for this mod (pack?), despite the fact that not all of his author's ideas in mod I personally liked, despite the misunderstanding that arose in the discussion of this mod - thank you Arto!

My knowledge of modding "Armored Warfare" is absolutely non-existent, so I certainly could not create the mod on my own in the way I wanted to make it. However, thanks to Arto's mod and his hint to a person in a discussion of another mod (how to remove a specific element that I didn't like in a mod for a tank's appearance), which I paid attention to today - I was able to eliminate the "extra" (in my opinion) and give the necessary to that particular tank, which I wanted the most.

And although it currently does not look so authentic (due to the fact that the tank models were spoiled by the developers), I am glad at least for this opportunity.

Thank you Arto and thank you to all those who make mods for this game. It's really cool and it's important!

And so, I want to share here small guides (perhaps it will be useful to someone), there will be only two of them.

A) How to remove  mudflaps from the stern near the rear rollers from the tank?

Answer: very simple.    

In the folder "M1A1" we find and open the file "m1a1--m1a1.cdf", then we need to delete the line completely: <Attachment Type="CA_BONE" AName="mudflaps" Rotation="1,0,0,0" Position="0,-0.05,-0.21" BoneName="hull" PA_ReceiveCustomization="1" Binding="objects/vehicles/mbt/xm1/phisical_detachparts_hull.cdf" Flags="0" />

After deleting the line, close the open file with the editor and agree to save the changes. That's all.

This can be done with any of the tanks in this mod if you want to remove the mudguards. The main thing is to open the desired file with the name of the tank you need and find the desired line there, and then delete it completely and save the changes.

I did this first on XM1A3 because in this version of the mod I didn’t like only mudguards in it, otherwise it was very coolly redone.

Let's make the Abrams great again!

92132269_p1.jpg

Bro this shit is fire thanks alot! Mod is amazing but those mudflaps were annoying me aswell and not having them now is relief from gods. Now did you figure out how to remove m2 browning from the main gun? I'd keep it on most variants but i dont really like it on m1a1 and m1a2...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Roach said:

Bro this shit is fire thanks alot! Mod is amazing but those mudflaps were annoying me aswell and not having them now is relief from gods. Now did you figure out how to remove m2 browning from the main gun? I'd keep it on most variants but i dont really like it on m1a1 and m1a2...

If at least one person was useful to my mini guide, then I definitely did not waste my time in vain to share it here.

Buddy, if I understand you correctly, then you asked about the removal of the machine gun near the main gun of the tank, right?

For M1A2 tanks (relevant for all three)  you need to open CDF file with the name of the tank you need and completely delete the line:

<Attachment Type="CA_BONE" AName="detachpart_turret1" Rotation="1,0,0,0" Position="0.01,2.5,2.3" BoneName="cannonbase" Binding="Objects/vehicles/mbt/cattb/cattb_guns02_turret_cattb.cgf" PA_ReceiveCustomization="1" Flags="0" />

After deleting the line, close the file and agree to the changes.

For M1A1 I found only one way: go to the M1A1 folder and then seek and  destroy the file "m1a1_cannonbase_m1a1_m256.cgf"

• Upvote 1

On 9/6/2022 at 3:34 PM, OwO_Ishimura said:

If at least one person was useful to my mini guide, then I definitely did not waste my time in vain to share it here.

Buddy, if I understand you correctly, then you asked about the removal of the machine gun near the main gun of the tank, right?

For M1A2 tanks (relevant for all three)  you need to open CDF file with the name of the tank you need and completely delete the line:

<Attachment Type="CA_BONE" AName="detachpart_turret1" Rotation="1,0,0,0" Position="0.01,2.5,2.3" BoneName="cannonbase" Binding="Objects/vehicles/mbt/cattb/cattb_guns02_turret_cattb.cgf" PA_ReceiveCustomization="1" Flags="0" />

After deleting the line, close the file and agree to the changes.

For M1A1 I found only one way: go to the M1A1 folder and then seek and  destroy the file "m1a1_cannonbase_m1a1_m256.cgf"

my hero i cant belive it man, thanks so much! now my abroooms are almost perfect only thing that is messing with me and you cant unsee it once you do is that turret is a bit offset, its nothing with the mod its the damn game... just look at the tank front and look at it from the side in your garage the turret is a bit offset to the back xD

• Upvote 1

On 9/7/2022 at 10:21 PM, Roach said:

my hero i cant belive it man, thanks so much! now my abroooms are almost perfect only thing that is messing with me and you cant unsee it once you do is that turret is a bit offset, its nothing with the mod its the damn game... just look at the tank front and look at it from the side in your garage the turret is a bit offset to the back xD

To provide all possible assistance to a cultured person (judging by your profile picture) is the least I can do. I'm glad someone is getting a little better and someone like me can enjoy the game of running Abrams, bringing democracy to the masses.

In fact, the Abrams tanks (in general, everything, perhaps) are the most problematic in this game, almost always something was wrong with them, but there were moments when they were more or less in order.

And they were in order at some point after the changes in the geometry of the tanks by the Obsidian team, and so far no one has globally altered / changed anything after them.
  I’ll just show the pictures later and compare for yourself where there really is no doubt about how Abrams should look.

In fact, the latest global "improvements" of Abrams tank models are a failure, with the exception of XM1 Tier 6. Real mediocrity is what we see in the game now. I'm talking about all Abrams tanks (except for the previously mentioned prototype).
 I look at them and wonder: what the hell? What is it anyway? Is it the Abrams? It's kind of a parody of them.

Below are the pictures I talked about, just look and compare for yourself. This is where Abrams is really good and sexy!

https://imgur.com/a/0cwiMbW

(after clicking on the link, you can see all the pictures, enlarge when viewing if necessary, open and see in maximum resolution)

On 7/31/2022 at 3:25 AM, OwO_Ishimura said:

Not unambiguous impressions of the changes in this mod. In some ways, of course, it is better than it is in the game by default now.
 However, there are elements that were superfluous, as for me.
Well, for example: why was it necessary to "stretch" a camouflage net on the M1A1 when there is a "Storm" with the same net and this is one of its unique features?

On the M1A1, it was worth placing a large-caliber machine gun on the turret based on historical data. An additional machine gun near the equipment is not necessary, by the way, given that this is not some modification of the HA +
(similarly with the M1A2, an additional machine gun near the gun is useless, except that for the M1A2C it will also be relevant for the XM1A3, my opinion, of course, based on historical facts)

But the most cringe here is the rubber elements to protect against mud splashes.. this is really cringe and the number 1 reason for me not to install this mod, unfortunately.

And why did only XM1A3 give an anti-cumulative grille to the stern ??? After all, all tanks, starting with the M1A1, have mounts for it at the stern. After all, it was possible to make sure that all (except M1 at tier 6) tanks, complete with dynamic protection units, had an anti-cumulative grille.
(M1A1 and M1A2 would have received a grating on the stern when dynamic protection would be installed, M1A2C and XM1A3 would have it immediately, because they have dynamic protection units installed by default)

By the way, this was the case with the M1A1 before, in the best years of this game, when installing dynamic protection units, the tank also received an anti-cumulative grill on the stern.

What do you have against the mud flaps?

On 7/31/2022 at 12:25 PM, OwO_Ishimura said:

text

image.png.b3ea1db33efe55ae77b0aa8f8d18aaa7.png

oh yeah, mudflaps are cringe and unhistorical btw