SgtPimpek

Your military service

Since many of us play this tank game I wonder how many of you actually served in the military?

Would be nice if you choose to share some of your experiance...

For me I was drafted and served as a chassi/hull mechanic on the swedish STRV121 (Leopard2A4) during the mid 90's.

Was a great time and I was in the best shape during my time. Steady meals and working on these beasts was a very valueble time to see how one works without the comforts in daily life. Like showers or running water etc etc

carry on....

//SgtPimpek

Mandatory military service was abolished in my country for people that was born in the same year and me and forward, so i didn't go

Even if I wanted to or it wasn't abolished, congenital heart disease prevents me from doing anything "physical"

Enlisted in the US Army out of high school, 1968. 3 years active duty, Vietnam (1969-1970) and West Germany (1971). 3 years Army Reserve. Enlisted Illinois National Guard 1992-1994, Oregon National Guard 1994-1996

Served mandatory military duty on Airforce as airman from 2015 to 2017. Not really related to tank, but its something.

US Army Drafted Dec 70 inducted April 71 2 years active Classified training then 10 Months teaching generator Mechanics transferred to Army Reserves Federal force. Taught Vehicle Mechanics we reclassed the Whole 85th Div. to Armor and Cav my BN was Cav. Instructors for 11 years Div. reclassed to Infantry then merged with 84th div. so I was a 52B2H Mechanic Instructor a 19D4H senior NCO Cav Instructor then 11B4X Infantry Drill Sgt. 27 years 7 months 14 days federal service. I was a training NCO for many years along with a subskill of being TOW and Dragon Instructor including all Improved TOW Vehicle (M901) Tasks. Retired as a SFC E-7 Hated the politics of the E-8 and E-9 levels.

Drafted in, I think, 2003-4. Since I finished tehnical school, they made me a computer toucher. Spent six months helping old colonels with their word and excel.

Once I got horribly drunk and high and I puked in a engine grill of a derelict T-55, I think that counts as a tank kill. That was my contribution to world peace.

I did not serve, but would like to say thank you to everyone that did. Your commitment and courage is very much appreciated.

Mandatory service in the Norwegian Army as Infantry in 1990. Served as a UN soldier in South Lebanon for 2 years in the middle of the nineties.

Draft resister here, for a copule of months it was not completely clear if I had to go to prison or if I was allowed to serve as civil service, in the end it happened that the latter was the case. I had applied to chose civil service too late, but according to the (wrong) instructions written on a paper that they gave me, so even if at the beginning they told that i was not eligible for civil service :gruelsealk: at the end they admitted that the error was from their side and they allowed me to serve my draft time, with some more months as penalty, that way :snrk:, instead of completely refuse the draft and go in a military jail.. 

So I served in a little village in the mountains, without even seeing a weapon, helping the old people there, cutting the fire wood for them, mowing the hay for the ones that still had some cow, bringing them food when the snow was too high or if they was to old to move from their homes and similar things. 

Serving in the civil service changed completely my life as at the end I decided to not return to my home town,  where I was born and raised, but to remain in the mountains and live there, where i still live today.

It can be funny that being a draft resister, anti militarist and follower of Mahatma Gandhi teachings i play a tank game, but as I am shooting only to virtual tanks, pixels on a computer screen and i like this game I have no problems in be a virtual tank commander and owner of a mercenary business in my evening time, and some times even all night long.

:apseal:

1980-1986  H co 2/3 ACR  (tail end of M-1 test), E troop 256 inf.   TC  M 60 series  most time in the A1 rise package.  Dinosaur tanker.

Started early as an Army Cadet from 13 to 16 affiliated to the Royal Green Jackets. 

joined as a Junior Soldier aged 16 and ended up serving 24 years as a Sapper (1983 to 2007) visiting 26 countries and doing 7 operational tours. 

Still on the reserve list for a couple more years although I am not quite as "sprightly" as I was.