Sign in to follow this  
Tired_needs_Nrg_Drinks

the Shilka thread

So the title says it all. I will be talking about how I play this OP t4 afv. Feel free to add stuff, as this is my first time posting something like this. (and haswell TOTALLY didnt want me to write this to make myself more active than stagnant pond water here , still love you haz )

ARMOR: 

practically nonexistent (45~55mm),  so use smonkes and try to not get hit

HP: 

1400, you cant take that much dmg  so use smonkes and try to not get hit

ScreenShot0045.jpg.9b5ce4f6354a652627368afce865e67e.jpg

im ded...cause I got hit

MOBILITY:

not the best out there, but it can allow you move decently fast,  use it to get out of trouble or attack.

GUNS:

So here is where it gets interesting: the quad 23 mm auto cannons have just over 13 k dpm, but they have a overheat gauge, just like the the GAU, which leads me to think that clicking on the LMB instead of holding it down will deal better sustained fire over targets, (cant put my 10 second video of clicking retardly on the mouse repeatedly cause the file size too large reee), since the HP pools of your enemies aren't that large, 3- 4 short bursts (clicks) will be enough to deal with most squishies.

ScreenShot0044.jpg.7005d52ebe40075af5fd16f41270c744.jpg

peeking out to click dakka

the close comparison is the obvious t5 york . Though the york is still vastly better, since you can just hold down the LMB an just melt targets and dont have to worry about overheating, both have radar that spot things but reduce your camo factor, I just leave my radar on cause I'm already screwing my team by damage hogging, might as well take all the spotting dmg as well

EQUIPMENT (if you really want to spend  a crap ton of credits on this thing)

- anything to boost your accuracy,  (I went for MRS, AI targeting, and improved drive, I didn't use the barrel lining cause you DONT reload in this thing)

CONSUMEABLES

- whatever you want really (I went for standard fire extinguisher, medkit, and spare parts)

CREW SKILLS

- driver: choose between, off road driving, spin to win,  and smooth ride, whatever you like

- gunner: choose between, sharpshooter, quick draw,  and accuracy, whatever you like

COMMANDERS

- honestly any will do, but Freja if you have the accuracy build to help with accuracy, or OPhelia, cause why not make this thing even more BORKEN.

CONCLUSION

- this was my FIRST game in it, stock, and without equiments, so i'll not insult your intelligence and let you decide if you want this. IF you do play this rightly though... dem poor pubbies

ScreenShot0042.thumb.jpg.095302ab2633f9cf46fac374922c142d.jpg

kinda feel bad for ppl who just started out their AW career

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Tired_needs_Nrg_Drinks said:

kinda feel bad for ppl who just started out their AW career

What a warm welcome :kek:

Spoiler

fdassdaas.jpg.c709df3e98adc5265f232fe9458a3043.jpg

2 hours ago, Tired_needs_Nrg_Drinks said:

EQUIPMENT (if you really want to spend  a crap ton of credits on this thing)

- anything to boost your accuracy,  (I went for MRS, AI targeting, and improved drive, I didn't use the barrel lining cause you DONT reload in this thing)

Does barrel lining not also increase rate of fire?  Improve Gun Breech does, so I had always assumed that the barrel liner would too.

Because MOAR DAKKA!!!

The using a gun breech or barrel liner on the Shilka or GAU-8 doesn't give any significant (>0.1%) increase to sustained DPM.

With the way the overheat mechanic works, the primary limiting factor to sustained DPM with continuous fire (i.e. holding down LMB) is not the RoF, but the cooling rate of the barrels. Every shot that is fired increases the temperature of the barrels by a specific amount, and while the barrels have a non-zero amount of heat they will cool at a set rate. As such, the amount of heat the barrels can disperse in a given period of time determines the sustained rate of fire of the gun system, which in turn determines the sustained DPM.

Because the gun breech and barrel liner retros do not increase the cooling rate of the gun, they do not have any significant effect on the sustained DPM of the Shilka. You're better off using just about any other retro instead.

Edited by MK_Regular (see edit history)

That's a good point.  The Shilka uses the gatling heat mechanic, so its DPM is heat limited rather than rate of fire limited.  

That said, those retrofits can still be useful on some vehicles that use the gatling heat mechanic.  They still increase the speed at which that first burst of damage can happen by 10% before the cooling rate takes over as the DPM limiter.  The Shilka overheats so quickly that it doesn't really make any difference, as does the GAU-8 in high-speed mode, but with the GAU-8 in low-speed mode using those retrofits means that you shorten the duration of that first burst by a measurable (and significant) amount.

They also work normally on the T-249, because even though the T-249 uses the gatling heat mechanic it also has that weird 4 x 48-shot burst/clip mechanic and the retrofits speed up the delay between the 48-shot bursts.

The main appeal for using the barrel liner on gatlings for me isn't the RoF increase, but the +5% accuracy buff.

Assuming I'm being lazy and hold down my trigger instead of bursting, the bloom becomes uncomfortably large and my damage output becomes limited by how many shots I actually land on my target. Given that I'm already stacking MRS and AI targeting for better accuracy, I threw on the barrel liner for the extra buff as well.

Spoiler

39 minutes ago, Haswell said:

The main appeal for using the barrel liner on gatlings for me isn't the RoF increase, but the +5% accuracy buff.

Assuming I'm being lazy and hold down my trigger instead of bursting, the bloom becomes uncomfortably large and my damage output becomes limited by how many shots I actually land on my target. Given that I'm already stacking MRS and AI targeting for better accuracy, I threw on the barrel liner for the extra buff as well.

if you wanna hold your finger down in the fire button throughout the game via lead paperweight,  the York is better :P