Haswell

Here we go again: EoW BP Megathread

On 1/17/2021 at 11:03 AM, MK_Regular said:

Just looking at the very limited data I have, it seems like effective combat time is a better metric for gauging BC earned than the actual match time.

100%.  Back when this mechanic first came out I did a lot of testing, and it's absolutely based on effective combat time, not time spent in match.  I've also tested it during this Battle Path to see if it's more efficient to play PvE Hardcore or Plague.  Spoiler: Plague wins easily provided you're constantly contributing.  This is due to the fact that you have far less loading/countdown/exiting/finding a new match time while running 4-5 Plague matches vs 6-7 PvE matches.

The question above is "what constitutes effective combat time?"  It seems to me that it pretty clearly does not count any of the time at the start of the match until you "contribute" something toward your team's victory, which can be as simple as hitting an enemy with a single AC round.  Simply firing blindly and missing does not count (and shouldn't count, as that would be far too easy to exploit).

There are 2 real questions that I can see - how long can you go "between shots" and have it count as a continuous contribution?  And does the lag time at the end of the match count, meaning if I last see and shoot a target with a minute left, does that last minute count for me or not?

I'm fairly certain that anything in-game that registers with the server counts as a contribution.  Capping, de-capping, spotting (meaning getting credit for a spot), spotting damage, damage, etc.  Probably literally anything that gives you a commendation (or contributes to one).  Obviously anything that counts toward XPs earned would count.

Keep in mind something:

That spreadsheet that I was referring to was an aid to help in calculation of how many battles you needed to get in to get to a certain level.  The time spent in the match was the only real time metric discussed.

So it took a run down average of the matches you were in, how many battle coins you made per match, and time per match and it was used to help do the calculations.

I have not seen a solid description of what the BC's are based off of and what percentage.  I want to say the effective combat time is a better gauge based on what I've seen.

"If you were not birthed with claws or fangs, store bought will do just fine."

From the FAQ:

The amount of Battle Coins for playing is calculated as such:

You’ll receive a fixed amount of Battle Coins (2 for PvE and GLOPS, 3 for PvP) for each minute of effective combat. Effective combat time is a new mechanic that counts only the time when you are active in battle (during or between the actions that contribute towards your team’s effort). The exact length will be rounded up for the purposes of rewards (eg. 41 seconds will be treated as 1 minute, 1:01 minute as 2 minutes etc.) and will be available on the results screen.

Like before, winning will multiply your reward (by 1.25 for PvE and GLOPS and by 1.5 for PvP) but you’ll also receive extra Battle Coins for being amongst the best players on the battlefield (4 for Top 2 in PvE, 5 for Top 5 in PvP and 10 for Top 5 in GLOPS).

23 hours ago, knutliott said:

There are 2 real questions that I can see - how long can you go "between shots" and have it count as a continuous contribution?  And does the lag time at the end of the match count, meaning if I last see and shoot a target with a minute left, does that last minute count for me or not?

Yes, I am curious about this. You can't be shooting (with the same weapon system) while reloading... and I don't like to break cover until I have a shot ready (or close to it.) So if the interval between shots is a fixed interval for everyone, it penalizes slower weapon systems, while if it is some percentage of reload time, it would penalize those with reload time buffs....   Put another way, ignoring XP and credits for a moment, is AFV better to farm BC or MBT?

DVC, QR

2 hours ago, Quantum_Ranger said:

Put another way, ignoring XP and credits for a moment, is AFV better to farm BC or MBT?

I have noticed no difference.  I suspect that the allowed delay "between shots" is quite long, so it really isn't accurate to think of it as "between shots".  It's between actions that contribute toward your team's progress.

I suspect that it's only the time before your first shot (contribution) that does not count, and possibly also the time after your last shot (contribution).  That could probably be tested, but given that actively engaged time rounds up it doesn't seem all that important.

19 hours ago, Quantum_Ranger said:

Put another way, ignoring XP and credits for a moment, is AFV better to farm BC

From my personal muliple BP experience the playing thingy such as XM247 and having boosts active is better idea than play some god forgotten, sorrow ass mbt just because statistically you end up at first place more often with York, even against tier 6, and this first place has noticeble impact on amount of earned coins.

Not sure about all AFV - but if you drive things like BVP-M2, Marder or SPHINX, they usually do more damage, they can do better spotting - all without effort in pve, so it gives them easier and more predictable first place in final rank.

On 12/28/2020 at 11:18 AM, knutliott said:

I'm pretty sure they're both working.  At 1am CET (4 pm Pacific) anything you have purchased refreshes.  Then at 5am CET (8 pm Pacific) everything refreshes whether it has been purchased or not.  It also appears to refresh any time there's a server reboot or other server-side activity.

Key takeaway: you have a 4-hour window to get an extra 10:1 BC boost every day.

This morning's patch did not refresh the Store, so it appears that they've at least partially fixed the extra refreshes.

The Store did refresh yesterday at both 4:00 pm Pacific (1:00 am CET) and 8:00 pm Pacific (5:00 am CET).  So it was either today's patch that changed the refreshes, or they haven't fixed the extra 4:00 pm / 1:00 am refresh yet.

So of course now that I've finished the BP, I finally get one of the Unique 10:1 offers.  I've seen multiple uniques in every other category, but this is the first one I've seen in this column.

ScreenShot0727.jpg

A story in pictures:

AsKl7wg.jpg

ZwIBVCg.png

0Brzrps.png

TkPe8pN.png

9CMvy3c.png

Not shown: I started off the reroll spree with 54k coins. Got lucky with a few big coin drops, but I was still bleeding coins slowly until I found Shield Bitch.

• Upvote 3

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Haswell said:

A story in pictures:

Not shown: I started off the reroll spree with 54k coins. Got lucky with a few big coin drops, but I was still bleeding coins slowly until I found Shield Bitch.

Very impressive and inspiring. I was wondering myself as to how to manage the BP endgame. I managed to grind through to the MSTA-S (which was my original objective) but discovered that I have about 70k BC left after that... I don't really want the Krizantema because I already have a Stalker.  So, a few questions:

1.) Do the coin boosters carry over through to the next BP?   I might go up the ranks if the boosters carry over, but if they don't, that's clearly pointless.

2.) How many rerolls did it take to find something nice (commander or prem tank greater than T8?)  I have been watching the daily refreshes for 80 days, and have yet to see anything higher than T8.

3.) Is the Object 195 worth buying BC for? (I am thinking not, but those who have driven it might be able to offer informed opinions.)

Overall pretty satisfied with this BP (Kurganets, Shilka, MSTA-S, and yes, a York), so whatever else happens is icing on the cake.

DVC, 

QR

Just now, Quantum_Ranger said:

3.) Is the Object 195 worth buying BC for? (I am thinking not, but those who have driven it might be able to offer informed opinions.)

Something like this is also personal... That said, I feel like the 195 is currently OP for PvE and one of the strongest vehicles for PvE... Then again is it worth splashing the 50(?) euros for it? Idk hard call... 

4 hours ago, Quantum_Ranger said:

1.) Do the coin boosters carry over through to the next BP?   I might go up the ranks if the boosters carry over, but if they don't, that's clearly pointless.

2.) How many rerolls did it take to find something nice (commander or prem tank greater than T8?)  I have been watching the daily refreshes for 80 days, and have yet to see anything higher than T8.

Overall pretty satisfied with this BP (Kurganets, Shilka, MSTA-S, and yes, a York), so whatever else happens is icing on the cake.

1. BC do not carry over.  Use 'em or lose 'em.  The boosters do, though, so that adds to the value of getting to level 50 as you pick up several along the way.  Then again, I currently have 44 in stock because I don't often feel like playing for 2 straight hours just to get 2500 BC playing PvE, so YMMV.

2. It's very random.  Some people have seen multiples, others haven't.  I've paid some attention to the differences between the "columns" in the store, and I've seen multiple "unique" offers in every column except the BC 10:1 column where I've seen exactly 1.  IIRC I've only seen a couple in the tank column... like maybe 2-3?  All Tier 9.  I've yet to see a Tier 10.

3. I'd say that depends.  It's basically a T-14 with a slower reload (but more powerful single shot) and a single T-15 autocannon to use while it's reloading.  Note that the Object 195's version of the autocannon has a clip, so it also has a reload.  The rhythm is pretty steady though... fire the cannon, switch to AC, deplete the AC clip, switch back to cannon and you have maybe 1-2 sec to wait, then repeat.

The Kurganets is easily the best vehicle from this BP in my opinion, but the Object 195 is second and it's not far behind.  So it would depend on how much you feel it's worth spending to get a pretty good Tier 10 premium.  The "retail price" of a Tier 10 is basically $90 (in theory they cost 19,000 Gold, which is 76.8% of a 25k Gold package that costs 100 Euros / $120) so would you be willing to pay $50 to get one?  How about if that $50 you spent also got you the MSTA-S effectively for free?

31 minutes ago, knutliott said:

2. It's very random.  Some people have seen multiples, others haven't.  I've paid some attention to the differences between the "columns" in the store, and I've seen multiple "unique" offers in every column except the BC 10:1 column where I've seen exactly 1.  IIRC I've only seen a couple in the tank column... like maybe 2-3?  All Tier 9.  I've yet to see a Tier 10.

LOL... so after writing this I logged on and did a few re-rolls to see what I could get.  Got another tank column Unique!  Naturally it was the Tier 9 ZTQ-15 which I've seen before and of course already own.

I need to play another 25-30 games to finish off a few more challenges which will then give me sufficient surplus BC to go on a re-roll spree.  Maybe then I'll get lucky and find a QN.

On 3/1/2021 at 7:32 PM, knutliott said:

The Kurganets is easily the best vehicle from this BP in my opinion, but the Object 195 is second and it's not far behind.  So it would depend on how much you feel it's worth spending to get a pretty good Tier 10 premium.  The "retail price" of a Tier 10 is basically $90 (in theory they cost 19,000 Gold, which is 76.8% of a 25k Gold package that costs 100 Euros / $120) so would you be willing to pay $50 to get one?  How about if that $50 you spent also got you the MSTA-S effectively for free?

Thanks for the inspiring analysis. A couple weeks ago I hit a wall grinding AW and had to take a breather for a few days... so my rationalization is that I was just grinding at my RL job instead of grinding AW.... so some of the RL $ accrued during that period could be allocated to AW, as if I had used those same hours for AW had I not overdosed on Gori.

The coin sale helped... so now I have the Object 195, the Krizantema (meh), the boosts/gold/credits from the ranks, and enough surplus coin for some last-minute re-rolls.

And you are very right - took the 195 on a test-drive to break in the crew and the 152 mm is definitely fun. 

If I wanted to use the 195 for Heroics, what would be the best retrofits?  I am thinking breech and vision but appreciate advice from the wise ones who have been there, done that.

DVC, 

QR 

I run reload, accuracy, aim time, and the accuracy/aim time combo on mine.  It's a big, inaccurate, slow-ass gun, so cutting all three of the main combat attributes down as far as possible is a big help.

Heroics requires dedicated spotters... and the 195 aint that.  So don't worry about vision on it, as someone else will be spotting for you.

Also don't hold your nose at the Khrizantema... it's better than it looks.  People like to say it's a Stalker without the AC, but the Stalker's missiles and the Khrizantema's missiles are very different.  The Khriz's reload is roughly 2/3 of the Stalker's... something like 12 seconds vs 18 seconds IIRC.  I used mine for a bunch of missions when I had a combo of missions that was perfect for it - Tier 5-8 TD, HEAT dmg, 120+ mm dmg, and ATGM kills.  Sure I'd normally use the Hellfire to do the latter 3, but the Khriz works just fine in order to do that TD daily at the same time.

On 3/1/2021 at 5:06 PM, knutliott said:

LOL... so after writing this I logged on and did a few re-rolls to see what I could get.  Got another tank column Unique!  Naturally it was the Tier 9 ZTQ-15 which I've seen before and of course already own.

RNGesus is clearly taunting me now.  I rolled the ADGS this afternoon, which of course I've owned since the storyline campaign.

Also rolled a Degman, which is one of the few T8s available that I don't already have, but I don't already have it for a reason: it sucks.

Next Tuesday will be the last-gasp use of BC.  I'll have some number of BC over 56k to use to try to find a QN, but once I drop below 56k I'll just have to take whatever reasonable T8 pops up.  Then I'll just be buying plat insignias, etc., until I run out of coins.

Woot!

Now I really am done with the BP, as I have less than 1000 BC left.  Sure I'll spend those rather than waste them, but I can stop grinding to get refreshes.

ScreenShot0729.jpg

A story of some sickening luck. Spoiler alert: I got the 640 and 490 from the coin shop.

Started off the day with 9k coins, not expecting anything. Burning my coins early because I won't be around by the time the BP ends.

jY5mIpn.jpg

Almost went broke after rerolling for 30 minutes, then I got a pity package to bail myself out.

YIfzLCX.jpg

A few more rolls later, I hit my first 25k pack. This would let me reroll for another 2 hours, or so I thought.

FoWyGwc.jpg

2 hours later I was almost done and ready to log out. Then the game mocks me with this:

nvIspt1.jpg

dU5qVmg.jpg

Luckily I still have some spec ops boxes saved up, so I broke open 7 of them to buy the 50k coins. Then this bullshit happens an hour later:

YnVwZYI.jpg

What am I going to do with 90k coins? Roll some more of course! My patience and stubbornness of ignoring the ranks completely finally paid off:

5VB7qab.jpg

WkodDWn.jpg

Not even 30 minutes later I get this:

CHkAOZR.jpg

Well shit, I'm broke. Wait no, I finally have a reason to start spending my mountain of gold. Time to open more boxes too.

aHQivhk.jpg

Ch0VVRR.jpg

Hmm... need a bit more. More spec ops boxes.

IAn2WUL.jpg

A3t1Fwl.jpg

timtEPN.jpg

I'm finally done, I am broke. No more clicking. My finger is tired.

5HrkruI.jpg

So in total, my spoils from this BP includes:

• Shilka
  • Kurganets
  • QN-506
  • Ophelia

Well worth ignoring the ranks and 195 completely.

• Upvote 1

Spoiler

Are we sharing our BP hauls now? OK, I guess I'll share.

I started last night with 15k BC @ rank 17 (in hindsight, spending an extra 31.5k BC to get 10M credits was a bad idea) after picking up the following:

• Shilka
  • (~13k BC) Strella
  • (~13k BC) Taifun
  • (~22k BC) Sabra
  • (~22k BC) Type 90
  • Kurganets

the main thing here was that I did not have enough BC to get up to rank 25 (the next reward vehicle) without spending any gold, nor would I be able to grind out enough BC before the BP ended.

I decided that the best thing for me to do would be to start rolling and pick up any plat insignias that I saw. I did this for about 20 minutes before I got a 50k BC offer with 10.5k BC remaining. naturally, I picked it up (because of course), and stopped rolling for a bit. I played a few matches with BC boosters, and as of midnight EST I was at 59k BC.

I don't know what I'm going to spend all these BC on, but I'll edit this post with pictures once I've spent them tonight.

Edit: OK, shop offers just auto-refreshed for the last time, I'm at 67k BC, time to start rerolling...

lose 1k BC rerolling, pick up a Pindad for 36k BC (30k BC remaining)

Pindad.thumb.jpg.4dfe2c62ddf6ed82d8c7204e5420f24f.jpg

I was going to put more here in case I got something else particularly of note, but that's it. I burned through 30k BC without getting any large BC offers that would have let me pick up another tier 8+ premium, even thought I got plenty of offers for various tier 8, 9 (AGDS, Hunter, Oplot, VT-5 and ZTQ-15 came up several times each) and even 10 (Type 10 came up once) premium tanks.

My final haul for the BP is:

• Shilka
  • (~13k BC) Strella
  • (~13k BC) Taifun
  • (~22k BC) Sabra
  • (~22k BC) Type 90
  • (~36k BC) Pindad

overall, I'd say it isn't a bad haul for 3k gold entry price, but there are definitely things I could have done better (i.e. stay at rank 10, use those 31.5k BC I spent getting to rank 17 for something useful like another tier 8 or 9 premium tank).

Edited by MK_Regular (see edit history)

Well, outside of actual BP rewards (195 is fun as fuck), I got.... Scorpion Kastet. And fuck all of anything else. 

I never ever saw coin box larger than 2.5k and I'm not sure if I'm being gaslighted and they don't actually exist.

I still have 5k coins to spend/squander today, but so far I've received:

• Shilka
  • Kurganets-25
  • MSTA-S
  • Khrizantema-S
  • Object 195
  • T-55 Enigma (purchased, because why not?)
  • QN-506

I also bought a few other packages like Premium time, insignias, and boosts, but not many of them.  That's likely what I'll spend my remaining coins on later today.  I get a free 10:1 refill at 4:00 pm and then a free full refresh at 8:00 pm before the BP ends at 1:00 am tomorrow morning.  (I'm on Pacific time.)

Shilka is good, but too low tier to be useful in any way.  Enigma is weird and also too low tier to be useful, but I bought it for the silliness of it.

MSTA is arty.  You either like arty or you don't.  MSTA is one of the better single-shot arties, but single-shot arties are generally inferior to the multi-shot arties.  So... meh.

Khrizantema is actually pretty decent.  People write it off as a higher-tier Stalker that's missing its gun, but that's not true.  The Khrizantema's missiles reload much faster, so it actually works as a missile-only vehicle.  It's not memes great or anything, but it's perfectly serviceable.  I actually like it better than the Stalker because a missiles-only vehicle is easier to keep hidden than one that has to use an AC to be useful.

Kurganets, 195, and QN are all great fun and high enough tier that I'll probably use all of them.

1 hour ago, MK_Regular said:

(in hindsight, spending an extra 31.5k BC to get 10M credits was a bad idea)

Huh?  The 10M credit pack is something like 2650 BC, isn't it?  And isn't the 1M credit pack 500 BC?

Or did you spend 31.5k BC to get 100M credits?  That's still a bad idea, but would make more sense.

11 hours ago, knutliott said:

Huh?  The 10M credit pack is something like 2650 BC, isn't it?  And isn't the 1M credit pack 500 BC?

Or did you spend 31.5k BC to get 100M credits?  That's still a bad idea, but would make more sense.

the 31.5k BC was to go from rank 10 to rank 17 (7 ranks at 4.5k BC each), with the original idea being that I would try to work my way up to rank 50

as it turns out, real life intervened and I didn't get as much play time as I would have wanted, which means that I'm effectively stuck with 31.5k BC tied up in ranks and nothing but 10M credits (the rank 17 rank 16 reward) to show for it. I could spend another 36k BC and get myself the Msta-S, but that's falling into the sunk cost fallacy and is not really worth it for an arty imo.

Edited by MK_Regular (see edit history)

2 hours ago, MK_Regular said:

the 31.5k BC was to go from rank 10 to rank 17

Ahhh... gotcha.

My rule of thumb for ranks is to never spend BC on them until I have all of the BC I need to get the rank I want.  There may be multiple stops along the way - typically at each vehicle reward rank - but I don't just level up randomly because I have BC lying around.  You never know when you might want those BC for something else (a random drop from the store, for example), or when life might get in the way.

I just had a funny thought...

if the rank reward tanks that people missed are available in future battle paths (and they almost certainly will be given that most of the reward tanks from the previous BPs were available in the store), they will actually be slightly cheaper to get in the BP store than they were to get from ranking up. Let's say (for the sake of argument) that everyone in the BP got to rank 10:

• tier 8, 9, and 10 vehicles sell for 36k, 56k, and 76k BC respectively. with one reward vehicle of each tier above rank 10, this gives a total "store cost" of 168k BC.
  • there are 40 additional ranks that a player needs to go through to get all 3 reward tanks, with each rank costing 4.5k BC. this gives a total "rank price" of 180k BC

admittedly, there is RNG involved with the store so a player might never see one or more of the reward tanks that they don't have, and any store rerolls would only serve to increase the "store cost". there is also the fact any player that picks up the tanks for the "rank price" ends up getting a few extra bits that have direct BC values:

• 60M CR ("store price" of 2560 BC for 10M credits, 15360 BC total)
  • 600 gold (no "store price", but not insignificant)
  • 11 BC boosters ("store price" of 500[?] BC each, 5500[?] BC total)

once the odds and ends are included, the rank rewards end up being the better deal overall (if you care about the odds and ends). If you don't care about the odds and ends, the "store price" in future BPs ends up being the better deal but only if you get lucky and have the vehicles show up on an auto-reroll.

Nice shopping gents, how is the M1A1 Storm? managed to pick it up for 21,999 coins. 

I managed to finish off the 100 pieces for the Kurganets-25,  I don't know with it which weapon system to lean on the autocannon reminds me of 57mm from the BWP-2000 the thermobaric missiles are great at bating aps to follow up with the big tandem charge missiles.