Baron_Georg

pros and cons of using rep to advance commanders

good idea to use rep to promote/advance commanders?  use all or some to advance?  which commanders to advance?   have 2 at lt level.  only have 3.5 mil rep total to work with

That's just me, but in my opinion most commander-skills do not have a significant impact on your performance so there is not really a need to progress them as fast as possible.

I'd rather use the rep to skip vehicles or unlock crucial vehicle modules which do have way more impact on your vehicle's performance compared to commander skills.

Spoiler

fdassdaas.jpg.c709df3e98adc5265f232fe9458a3043.jpg

It's easier to get xp on the tanks needing more xp (even on tanks you do not like) to grind it than it is to get the commander xp on commanders who need leveling up.

So ever since they allowed us to use the rep (free xp) to help level commanders, I dump rep into my lowest leveled commanders.

Edited by TekNicTerror (see edit history)

12 hours ago, TeyKey1 said:

That's just me, but in my opinion most commander-skills do not have a significant impact on your performance so there is not really a need to progress them as fast as possible.

I'd rather use the rep to skip vehicles or unlock crucial vehicle modules which do have way more impact on your vehicle's performance compared to commander skills.

8 hours ago, TekNicTerror said:

It's easier to get xp on the tanks needing more xp (even on tanks you do not like) to grind it than it is to get the commander xp on commanders who need leveling up.

So ever since they allowed us to use the rep (free xp) to help level commanders, I dump rep into my lowest leveled commanders.

Both valid points. I tend to agree with TeyKey, though, because as he said most Commanders aren't that big of an impact on your performance.  So while TekNicTerror is correct that it is easier to get XP on tanks, at least for me it is far less fun to grind a tank I don't like than to grind a Commander that's probably never going to be used again.  I can at least grind the Commander in a fun-to-drive vehicle in PvE where the Commander just doesn't make that much of a difference.

Also, you can stack better boosts to Commander XP than you can to Vehicle XP.  You can manage 1.6 x 1.5 x 1.5 easily for Commanders, but only 1.5 x 1.3 x 1.3 for Vehicles and that assumes you have both Platinum and Gold AW boosts.  More likely is just 1.5 x 1.3 x 1.25 since Gold AW Boosts are pretty rare, and only 1.3 x 1.25 x 1.25 if you don't have any AW Boosts at all.  That makes earning Commander XP significantly faster than earning Vehicle XP.

On 9/13/2020 at 6:21 AM, Baron_Georg said:

good idea to use rep to promote/advance commanders?  use all or some to advance?  which commanders to advance?   have 2 at lt level.  only have 3.5 mil rep total to work with

Initially it is better to focus on unlocking and placing into your garage as much high-tier vehicles as possible, to build garage XP bonus. Main goal to possess many tier 10 vehicles and then use each of them for harvesting daily x2 bonus to progress commanders - most importantly in combo with event boosts, prem, boosts, insignias. The more tier 10 vehicles, the faster the commander leveling will be - so the discussion if they should be fully leveled and if correct build has influence on performance becomes a bit  irrelevant, since it takes only 3-5 days x 2-3 h of playing to get a colonel level for one commander in pve (after ladder build-up).

it's ok to get some low level commander u to a specific skill in their tree, but as they get much higher, you'd use huge amounts to advance one, much better at this point to do vehicles:

5 hours ago, dfnce said:

then use each of them for harvesting daily x2 bonus to progress commanders

lieutenant to 1st lieutenant (rank 10-11?) is about 2 mil ... well i suppose if you wanted to free XP a T9 vehicle, that's 1.5 mil - and you do get to use your commanders all the time.

I'm thinking that if you get into a situation like I did, where i had one commander waiting to be 15th, one waiting to be 14th, all the way down to: "I need to get some random commander I don't like to 11th" so they can all go up. Maybe it's worth it then,

Edited by Lenticulas (see edit history)

"Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth."

Thanks for a great thread, @Baron_Georg ... I have been pondering this for some time.  More generally, trying to find the best use for XP and gold, which I am piling up because I can't really find something worthwhile that isn't achievable just by grinding incessantly.

Sounds like it's important to pick initial commander skills wisely, when it's easier to add squares...  agree that for PVE T1-8 can't tell that much difference so far.

I am accumulating a bunch of locked rep from playing favorite vehicles to get contracts done... not sure if it's ever worth unlocking unless there is a good use for the global rep.

Sorry to be tangential, but what vehicles do folks most want to skip?  I've driven some pretty sad ones so far from stock (Starshi*, LAV-600), but they've all taught me something as I did the grind to unlock modules... I shudder to think that there is something out there even more horrible that really should be skipped.

QR

If you look at how much work/XP it takes to get a commander up to Colonel and the little hoops that you have to jump through to make it happen, initially for the first couple of ranks maybe depending on how you judge the return on investment.  I will say that its not worth it.

Best bang for the buck is getting your daily multipliers knocked out and abuse the commander bonus for experience events like there is no tomorrow when they happen.

Some of my lower ranked commanders I just go and assign them to every tank and run them up to a point, then do the next one and the next one.  Save the XP and reputation for the grind.

"If you were not birthed with claws or fangs, store bought will do just fine."

17 hours ago, Lenticulas said:

it's ok to get some low level commander u to a specific skill in their tree, but as they get much higher, you'd use huge amounts to advance one, much better at this point to do vehicles:

lieutenant to 1st lieutenant (rank 10-11?) is about 2 mil ... well i suppose if you wanted to free XP a T9 vehicle, that's 1.5 mil - and you do get to use your commanders all the time.

I'm thinking that if you get into a situation like I did, where i had one commander waiting to be 15th, one waiting to be 14th, all the way down to: "I need to get some random commander I don't like to 11th" so they can all go up. Maybe it's worth it then,

It was long, annoying and painful adventure in my case, i still need level up few commanders, but these leftovers don't fit to any my purpose so far

Initial unlock of ladder which i would recommend to a new player

Sanna (quick unlock of good spotting) ->  Freya (many of MBT options, precise shooting, arty) -> Miramon (another good spotter) -> Sabrina (good for "fire" tasks) ->  Douglas (best MBT)

Spoiler

3G4IcLy.jpg

• Upvote 1

i ended up with these:
15  Sabrina (spotting and afvs)
14 Ioannis (damage, TDs)
13 Philip Hotzklau (mbts)
12 Rachael Kramer (lt/mbts)
11 Rashid (missile only stuff: VCAC etc.)
10 Juan "useless" Carlos (nothing if i can help it)

Edited by Lenticulas (see edit history)
  • Upvote 1

"Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth."