Sign in to follow this  
Haswell

My.com on misleading advertising

This topic concerns the Thunderbird Bundles being sold on Black Friday. Specifically the three of them on the web shop marked with limited stock.

https://aw.my.games/en/news/general/offer-black-friday-0

kMBUpcs.png

If the stock counter looks phony to you, you're right. Examining the statements of limited stock reveals that they are literally just static text without any update functions.

5ebqXSx.png

I'm not well versed in the laws of Netherlands, but conventional wisdom suggests this is probably skirting a bit too far with the law. I submitted a report to the Authority for Consumers & Markets (ACM) anyways, this wouldn't hurt them if My.com is doing nothing wrong, but in case they are doing something wrong this can be considered a slap on the wrist.

Spoiler

YEXZZm3.png

The link to the ACM can be found here: https://www.consuwijzer.nl/doe-uw-melding-bij-acm-consuwijzer

Note that although the ACM is Dutch, they do accept English reports. They may reply in Dutch however, but I think a little trouble on my part is worth it.

In case other people want to follow suit and also submit reports, here's my message for reference: https://gist.githubusercontent.com/Kasuobes/6a6331be9b2ad25e2c8d8fade8779437/raw/eb1aaef17ac8cbdb6d11b1021a5746ded0a1ef00/gistfile1.txt

The Dutch Advertising Code can be found here: https://business.gov.nl/regulation/advertising/

:riotk:

BIG EDIT:

ACM replied to me that misleading advertising is outside their scope and advised me to contact the Advertising Code Foundation (SRC) instead. Link to their online complaint form: https://www.reclamecode.nl/klacht-indienen/

Yes, it's also in Dutch. Not a big deal, Google Translate works.

Edited by Haswell
Added SRC (see edit history)
  • Upvote 4

Spoiler

Maybe Jim Sterling would be interested in scummy mycom practices, especially when combined with ZTQ-15 crate scam.

Doublepost, because I am just so damn good and sexy.

You know what's worst about this thing? It's so low effort. I mean, when you are doing scummy business practices, at least put some effort in it for fucks sake. This is nigerian prince scam level of effort.

When I first saw this I was near 100% sure it's fake or at least not working. Was not disappointed by looking at the code.

Black Friday just gets more cancer every year in general. This is only one of many cancerous sales tactics I've seen during this weekend. It's outrageous. :triggered:

Spoiler

fdassdaas.jpg.c709df3e98adc5265f232fe9458a3043.jpg

Guys, but remember that SS stated it was just code not working:  

image.png.bfc3c0fa46bab67ce6f52f4219a93da8.png

:)

Much like the shady practice of only selling the hunter on limited time scales, it seems another forced FOMO purchase.  Quite frankly I am being more and more disgusted by the sales practices of the company.  It does feel more and more like cash grabs over game play experience and I wouldn't be surprised if in the future this game becomes a mobile phone clone, just run on PC.  I like AW, I want to enjoy playing it...but the more this goes on, the worse the game is feeling overall and I cry a little when I see more and more peeps say 'Ohh well this is only a few $$$ so I'll buy it'

I am jack's complete lack of surprise.

Nice work using, as a certain belgian would say, using the little gray cells.

:tophatseal:

Got a reply, was nice. The ACM basically said misleading advertising is outside their scope, and advised me to contact the Advertising Code Foundation (SRC) instead.

bEodqjy.png

Link to SRC complaint form: https://www.reclamecode.nl/klacht-indienen/

With the magic of Google Translate, I submitted my report again. With any luck, something will happen.

Spoiler

https://www.consuwijzer.nl/misleidende-verkoop/wat-kan-ik-doen

Here what i digged in Unfair Commercial Practices Act

• the seller says that he can deliver something temporarily or only now, when that is not the case
  • the seller offers discounts when they are not actual discounts. Does the seller advertise so-called from / for prices? Then the product must have recently been for sale at that of-price. Recently is not more than three months ago. Is the from price the supplier's suggested retail price? Then the seller must indicate this in such a way that it is clear to you at a glance

Well, for what it's worth, I doubt NL can help you, guys. This system is not operated by My.com, or any other dutch subject. My.com operates the MY.GAMES Market. As for myself, I responded to the best of my knowledge. Accusing me of intentionally lying is uncalled for. If you have any problems with our stuff, feel free to launch an official query:

https://metapublishing.io/

Edited by Silentstalker (see edit history)

The domain of aw.my.games and the brand My.games is owned by My.com. It's honestly a clusterfuck that require a visual aid for me to understand who owns what at this point, but I'm just going by the fine print at the bottom of the page and the registration info of the site.

cXSagwJ.png

SS likely has no idea this happened, don't blame him or burn him on a stake for this. This is a very classic example of lack of communication between two departments (marketing and community) within the same company.

While I have good faith this did not happen intentionally (I hope), I still feel this crosses the line and deserve a slap on the wrist to prevent future occurrence. As I said, if nothing wrong has been done, nothing will happen.

Spoiler

6 hours ago, Haswell said:

The domain of aw.my.games and the brand My.games is owned by My.com. It's honestly a clusterfuck that require a visual aid for me to understand who owns what at this point, but I'm just going by the fine print at the bottom of the page and the registration info of the site.

cXSagwJ.png

SS likely has no idea this happened, don't blame him or burn him on a stake for this. This is a very classic example of lack of communication between two departments (marketing and community) within the same company.

While I have good faith this did not happen intentionally (I hope), I still feel this crosses the line and deserve a slap on the wrist to prevent future occurrence. As I said, if nothing wrong has been done, nothing will happen.

The issue is that somehow, those small mistakes keep happening and only at the expense of the player base.

When a company fucks up, assume malice, you will be right 99% of the time.

I like SS and believe he doesn't know what's going on and is going off the information he is being given.

I also believe that the devs / marketing (who ever controls this aspect) for the company is becoming more money hungry and the game is going down for more paid stuff every year with less and less put into the game - just premium tanks or ways to get more money out of the players rather than new maps or things that we can do with the game.

I appreciate that we are getting some more pve stuff in the future, but at present, it feels like the game is trying to milk me...and not in the fun happy way :/

18 minutes ago, Schlock said:

The issue is that somehow, those small mistakes keep happening and only at the expense of the player base.

When a company fucks up, assume malice, you will be right 99% of the time.

Eh. You'd be surprised how many times a fuckup is just a fuckup. Like... most of the time. In fact, despite our "reputation", I don't remember EVER seeing (or participating in) something really insidious. These weird cases were always a result of a whoopsie or generally a dumb idea that backfired (granted, sometimes it was REALLY obviously a bad idea). We're not a tech giant... and neither is My.com, for that matter.

1 hour ago, Schlock said:

Not only at the expense of players. There's also such stuff: 

And well fuckups happen everywhere. 

Spoiler

fdassdaas.jpg.c709df3e98adc5265f232fe9458a3043.jpg

4 hours ago, Silentstalker said:

Eh. You'd be surprised how many times a fuckup is just a fuckup. Like... most of the time. In fact, despite our "reputation", I don't remember EVER seeing (or participating in) something really insidious. These weird cases were always a result of a whoopsie or generally a dumb idea that backfired (granted, sometimes it was REALLY obviously a bad idea). We're not a tech giant... and neither is My.com, for that matter.

I think the companies reputation atm is a bit low - and prone to making mistakes.  I know this is outdated, but I remember this from the forum days and I think it still applies

Hg0pFSg.jpg

Hell, even more recently the credit bonus event thing, was late by a day or so!  Incorrect loot boxes being given out after purchase, wrong rewards being issued, announcing changes will be X then release them as Y.  Not a great reputation to have - to keep making mistakes, again and again and again.  

10 minutes ago, Azdule said:

I think the companies reputation atm is a bit low - and prone to making mistakes.  I know this is outdated, but I remember this from the forum days and I think it still applies

Hg0pFSg.jpg

Hell, even more recently the credit bonus event thing, was late by a day or so!  Incorrect loot boxes being given out after purchase, wrong rewards being issued, announcing changes will be X then release them as Y.  Not a great reputation to have - to keep making mistakes, again and again and again.  

Might be worth repeating that AW is really not My.com. I know it doesn't make a difference to you, but it does for us. Different people for the operator. I am literally the only person left from the original team the game launched with.

My point is... different people make different mistakes. For example, we no longer have huge problems with sale composition fuckups or sale launches. That was caused by a process that was specific by My.com. Personally, I think things are smoother now on the operator side.

Edited by Silentstalker (see edit history)

9 minutes ago, Silentstalker said:

Might be worth repeating that AW is really not My.com. I know it doesn't make a difference to you, but it does for us. Different people for the operator. I am literally the only person left from the original team the game launched with.

Oh I know it's not my.com doing work on it, but there are ties.  It's an old meme from back when my.com were the main ones on the game.  Currently though, the reputation of AW is quite low for me.  

I used to love the game and found it fun, but not so much any more and I find myself just 'going through the motions' and wondering what the next shit show will be. Stupid sale?  Broken ammo type (HE with 65mm of pen full penning 1500mm+ of armor is great fun btw)?  Blatantly OP tank that will soon be nerfed into the ground with 0 reason to play?  Events not launching when they should?  Wrong rewards being given?  Strange random boosts to xp?  Tanks having missing sections of armor?

I want to be clear, I am not having a go at you SS, I think you are the face of the company, and I think you get shafted a lot because if there are any problems, you get the shouting.  It's not you, it's those behind the scenes just don't seem to know their arse from their elbows.  Most of the changes recently have been seen as a 'great success' because - the company still makes money..but without a dedicated playerbase, the money will dry up and then the game goes unliving.

Since I pay bills to my.com BV (LLC) even after AW EULA was delegated to Post Meta LLC on Cyprus, I 'd rather see my.com rep only to tell that we going to check things with whoever manages it. Period. No further statements. Telling that AW issue on my games store is none of business of my com bv, doesn't makes things resolved. 

I still consider possible that Dutch court could order my com bv to suspend or remove AW items in store -- just because various mail ru agents, subsidiaries and offshores fail to communicate to each other and make certain things right.

Finally got a response after 3 weeks. It's not particularly hopeful as the sale has came and gone so it's impossible to verify the complaint without an audit, and that the Amsterdam registration and address are merely for tax and legal purposes.

But hey, it's something.

n1iJ2hF.png

Spoiler

Very very late update.

mT3Auq1.png

Hopefully My.com got the memo to not pull something like this again, now that they know someone is watching them closer than they wanted.

The explanation sounds pretty bull to me, but I don't have the means to obtain actual proof of wrongdoings here. Since the sale has came and gone there isn't a lot of relevancy left to this case right now. Moreover since I'm not even demanding compensation otherwise, I think my purpose of giving them a wake up call has been fulfilled. The important thing to note is that I lose nothing by lodging this complaint.

:tophatseal:

Spoiler