Sign in to follow this  
TobiichiOrigami

Guide: How to make your own skin?

Have you ever wondered to paint your vehicle with whatever you like? This guide will help you make your own unique vehicle skin.

To do this we also need a file 

PhotoShop(of course we need this)

The DDS plug-in:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_1JK1l5vQfz5Blfcuy8fyNUL0X1xnYjW/view?usp=sharing

DDSunsplit: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MJSr6KtNsdwoOH5QfQAIu3f7S2mAppnX/view?usp=sharing

Unzip your game files.

You need to unzip the .pak file. So you can find the vehicle file you want in the mess of game files.

spacer.png

Find the vehicle you want. They are in unzipfile\objects\vehicles.  You can see the various vehicle type folders.spacer.png

Take the Type 10 tank for example. You'll find lots of files, models, texture configurations and textures.

So first of all we're going to pull out these we need files in.MTL format.

spacer.png

we can on objects\vehicles\mbt\type10\textures\new to find Texture files for each part.spacer.png

Take the turret for example.All we need is the AO files to do the work.

spacer.png

When we Unsplit the files we have a complete DDS. Then we first put these files (DDS,MTL) here. (just like the MOD setup method before)

spacer.png

Now it's time to edit the.MTL. Again, take the turret for example. We add another %CAMO_AS_COLOR to the position of the part we want to edit.(It allows the game to read the tile  directly,or other,It will work anyway.)

spacer.png

Then drop down to find this 

spacer.png

Change its path to that of your DDS file.(no need to change.tif) 

spacer.png

When you're done, open the game and make sure it works.

Now, look, the file has been read

spacer.png

Let's edit the DDS file, the texture of the AO file allows you to determine the location of the model, but this time we just simple coloring.

spacer.pngspacer.png

That's it!

spacer.png

Then let's coloring the other parts and putting them together.

Done!

spacer.png

If you don't want to add a bunch of camo_AS_colors to the MTL files for various parts, you can go to the Materials folder and find the MTL files for unique skins. They are usually edited(also DDS) and you just need to change the texture loading path.

Edited by TobiichiOrigami (see edit history)
  • Upvote 4

How are your skins exactly the same colour in the game as on the textures?
Whenever I make a new texture it comes out much brighter and with less contrast in the game itself and i don't know what I'm doing wrong.

28 minutes ago, Arto said:

Whenever I make a new texture it comes out much brighter and with less contrast in the game itself and i don't know what I'm doing wrong.

this happens because of srgb, try in substance painter or smth like that

15 hours ago, Arto said:

Because the game will do some of its own color adjustments. 

spacer.png

But it's too much trouble to delete code like this, So you can do this by adjusting the exposure and the grayscale factor.

I prefer -1 exposure and 0.6 grayscale.

spacer.png

Of course, there is also the possibility, as Tahax said, the color format's , so a lot of things still need to be studied.

• Upvote 1