Sign in to follow this  
knutliott

How to use excess Battle Coins

I'm level 50 and already have the Hunter.  I've completed the 3 initial mission chains but haven't even started the final one (which gives the Type 10 skin).  There's very little chance that I can complete any of those final missions on my own, and my play time is erratic enough that I probably can't get a group together to do any of them either.  So far I have accumulated about 25k coins with really nothing to spend them on, and as we all know they don't carry over to the next Battle Path.  Use 'em or lose 'em.

So...

Is it more effective to pay-to-bypass the missions in the final mission chain (which cost 8000 BC each, but yield a coupon for 1000 BC in the next Battle Path), or should I buy Hunter crates?  20 Hunter crates would give me 2 BC Boosters and around 1200 BC worth of parts that I could sell during the next Battle Path.  Since each BC Booster is worth around 2500 BC in PvE (which is all that I play), it really seems like that should be the correct way to spend these excess coins.  If I thought there was any chance that I'd be able to accumulate 64k coins in order to pay-to-bypass the entire final mission chain to get the Type 10 camo, that's what I'd do, but I doubt that's going to happen.

The problem, such as it is, is that I already have 33 BC Boosters left over, so 2 more of them isn't really a significant gain.  But it's better than nothing, I guess.

I'm in a similar situation as you. I've just spending my excess coins on Hunter Crates mainly for the 2hour BC boosters. Just noticed this is first BP without a commander as one of the rewards too. Guess after Austin Harper the irrelevant commander of The Last Patriot, they decided to not bother with one for this BP.

1 hour ago, knutliott said:

So far I have accumulated about 25k coins with really nothing to spend them on, and as we all know they don't carry over to the next Battle Path.  Use 'em or lose 'em.

I was wondering what happens at this end of the BP... kind of painful to imagine the grind you put in for coins that you might lose.

In the end, was this BP worth the investment (especially with regard to time grinding)?

3 minutes ago, Quantum_Ranger said:

I was wondering what happens at this end of the BP... kind of painful to imagine the grind you put in for coins that you might lose.

In the end, was this BP worth the investment (especially with regard to time grinding)?

My guess is probably not. Type 10 while has it's ups and downs is somewhere in between a light tank and MBT could be nerfed as it is strong in general. Hunter AFV seems good though, Pindad is unique, no commander, the other two lower tier MBT rewards I guess have their own schtick but are only relevant for the early grind (neither are terrible, even the tier6 MBT is capable of high DPM). Also with the move to forcing doing the missions while Battle Path only vehicles it's a bit of a kick to the balls for casuals and makes the grind all that much more harder. 

This is the one BP I felt I had the most buyer's remorse over. I'd trade all the time and money I put into this BP over to the second one with the Object 490 and OPhelia as the rewards instead any day of the week.

3 hours ago, knutliott said:

20 Hunter crates would give me 2 BC Boosters and around 1200 BC worth of parts that I could sell during the next Battle Path.

Note that special Patriot loot crates also have a chance to drop 5000 BC coupons, so it may be worth it to redeem your BC for additional Hunter crates (even if you've already unlocked the Hunter).

About all you can do is buy additional Hunter crates, since the parts will carry over and be sellable next BP for coins, although the exchange rate is pretty miserable.  I did not even bother with the skins missions, just went with the main line since I didn't really care about the skins.  

I think the BPs in general are worth it, the number of tanks you get for your money is pretty excellent, even if you only play an hour or so a day.  However, this one has been decidedly the LEAST rewarding, I think.  

23 hours ago, Quantum_Ranger said:

I think so.

I paid for the $30 entry into the BP to get the 42,500 BC that comes with it.  That immediately got me a Tier 5 Premium, a Tier 6 Premium, and halfway to a Tier 8 Premium.  I had leftover BC Boosters from the last BP, so knew that I would have no trouble getting the rest of the way to the Pindad so I count that as a "entry fee prize".  3 Premiums for $30 is pretty good return, even if the Pindad is pretty strange.

I didn't spend any time deliberately grinding, but did concentrate my play time on completing repeatable missions and challenges.  By the time we were a month into the event, I was pretty sure I was going to be able to get to level 50 and acquire the Type 10, so then started doing the math to see if I could also get the 3 mission chains completed (to get the skins for the first 3 Premiums).  It looked like it, provided I spent some time actually trying to complete them instead of just paying to skip them, so I started doing that as much as I could.

After another month my progress had slowed considerably from trying to complete the mission chains.  Those early Premiums were pretty terrible at actually doing the missions for which you were required to use them (at least for me), so I decided to buy one of the 50k BC packs when they were put on sale.  Combined with the BC that I'd accumulated to that point (I'd stopped spending them on purpose... there's very little reason to spend them as you earn them) that got me 50 crates for the Hunter.  It only took 42 of them to complete the blueprints, so that was a pretty good deal.  The Hunter then turned out to be really good at doing the mission chain missions, so I completed several of those pretty quickly.

Note that I was also using Gold to skip any repeatable missions that required me to use either a) vehicles that I don't enjoy, or b) low-tier vehicles that were going to take too long to complete the repeatable.  AW really really liked giving me the mission to do 400-450k damage in a Tier 3-6 LT. WTF.  It also liked giving me the mission to get like 20k XP in a Tier 3-6 LT.  Those basically got insta-skipped because I'm not playing 30-40 missions in a Tier 3-6 LT just to earn 600 BC.

I was starting to worry that I wouldn't be able to get to Level 50 to get the Type 10, but as the weeks went by and more Challenges unlocked I started accumulating BC at a faster rate and rather easily got the Type 10 unlocked with about a month to go.

By the time I'd unlocked everything except the Type 10 skin (which is where I'm now sitting), I'd spent a total of $80 and about 12k Gold.  12k Gold is worth another $50, so a total of roughly $130 in total.  That has gotten me: Tier 5, Tier 6, Tier 8, Tier 9, and Tier 10 premiums, skins for the first 4 of those, another pile of BC Boosters to use in the next BP, and 60M credits (unlocked at various levels on your way to level 50).  The vehicles alone are worth well over $200, and I still use the Tier 6, 9, and 10, so it seems like it was a pretty good deal overall.

I did it without significant grinding, too, which is important to me.  I might try to lower my $$ cost by doing more grinding next time because I now have 33 BC Boosters saved up, but we'll see.  I only have so much time available to play AW.

I think the optimal game design should not have BC boosters, they are failed idea of just additional cash grab. The coins should come from normal missions and just playing a game (at reasonable rate).

Evolution of AW BP - instead of normal rewards we get more and more boosters, where each booster gives less and less coins per level, instead the cost of single level grows over last BP. I still have more than 20 boosters. 

Once I passed final missions with 8K for type 10 skin, I lost any further interest to play BP. Not having any commander with some new interesting mechanics is failure. Type 10 is shiny power-creeped piece, but in 6-8 it will be there where Altay.

Probably biggest mistake now is to open weekly SO containers. They theoretically should be open in the time of new BP,  with a new "valid" coins.

Edited by dfnce (see edit history)
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, dfnce said:

Probably biggest mistake now is to open weekly SO containers. They theoretically should be open in the time of new BP,  with a new "valid" coins.

I was wondering about this. Didn't register for current BP, but have a stash of unopened SO containers... so any BC in them are validated for whatever BP is active at the time they are opened?  Likewise, I have some BC in inventory as part of a compensation for server issues awhile back... are they tied to current BP (and therefore close to worthless) or would they carry over to next BP because I didn't register for this one?

53 minutes ago, dfnce said:

Not having any commander with some new interesting mechanics is failure.

Yes. The Pindad looks cool, but you probably won't play it all the time. As much as folks hate OPhelia, the potential exists to play her often, and even put her in a progression vehicle if you want. It's probably harder to design an appealing commander rather than assemble a cool new vehicle. Maybe we ought to have a commander design contest to come up with some neat ideas for the devs.