Sign in to follow this  
Haswell

PERIHELION CAMPAIGN/EVENT/STORYLINE - MEGATHREAD

Preivous thread:https://armoredlabs.net/index.php?/topic/14083-storyline-campaign-megathread/

Last thread is getting too bloated, figured it's a good time to start another one to compile info.

https://aw.my.games/en/news/general/armored-warfare-perihelion

Commanders!

Today, we’re embarking upon a new journey that will take Armored Warfare on a new path – a story-driven path where everything, from PvP battles to the PvE experience will be a part of a single unified world with an evolving story that you, the players, will participate in and influence.

But even a journey of a thousand miles must begin with the first step. During the following weeks, we’ll be introducing the world of Armored Warfare to you in a series of events, tasks and missions that we hope you’ll participate in it because every decision taken will count. We’ll start slow but the event will grow based on your activity – the more you play, the bigger the event becomes.

The basics of the event are simple. Complete missions within their allotted time and receive rewards. And with that in mind, let’s get right to it.

List of Contents

Spoiler

Story

Now, we can’t begin our story without an overview of what’s happening. The year is 2028 and the world order is slowly unraveling. The United States of America, once an undisputed leader of the free world, is wracked by internal strife after more than a century of prosperity. The Russian Federation, having fully recovered from the Soviet Union era that ended in 1997, is a rising power once again. Further to the east, the mysterious land of China is closed to all but selected few, its ambitions as strong as Russia’s. Europe’s fortune is closely tied to that of America with their issues similar – the influence of nation states clashing with that of power-hungry corporations.

It is an age of upheaval and you are smack in the middle of it – a young mercenary down on his luck, presented with an offer he can’t possibly refuse, to train a security branch of a Chicago-based company by the name of Perihelion, its purpose as enigmatic as its founder, an investor by the name of David Murdoch.

You are Samuel Thorpe and your choices will shape the future. In June 2028, you have joined Perihelion’s forces in their Arizona camp and were greeted by the de-facto leader until this point, Gail Espinoza. The meeting did not go without an incident but the two of you are now ready to begin your training.

State of the Perihelion Forces

The forces of Perihelion consist of light infantry, a number of older Russian IFVs and a company of relatively modern Russian tanks, mostly T-72B3s. Samuel Thorpe’s personal vehicle is a Russian service pattern Terminator “Black Mamba”.

The official paint of Perihelion forces is dark gray combined with a white rendition of the Perihelion crest.

The unit is currently located in Arizona and is ready to begin the training.

Available Missions

The conditions, deadlines and consequences are listed under each mission separately. The following mission is now available:

to be filled

Each mission can be completed as many times as you want (will count towards available Global Goals) but you can receive each mission’s reward only twice.

The first time, you will receive the prize itself. The second time, you will receive a compensation (if indicated so in the mission’s description). In other words, a prize marked “Perihelion Decal (or 250 Gold)” will award you a decal the first time you complete it and 250 Gold the second time you complete it.

Global Goals

This event features global community goals – requirements the whole community can meet for additional rewards. Meeting community goals influences the direction of the story, unlocks additional rewards and Shards of the Past.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to register for the event anywhere?

No, you can simply complete the objective of each mission.

How can I track my progress?

For now, you can’t. We are working on a proper tracking mechanism for the event. At the end of each mission, a list of players who completed it will be published in a portal update as well as on the page for each mission.

What prizes do I win?

The prize for each mission can be seen on each mission’s page.

I have completed a mission. When will I receive my reward?

We are sending rewards after each mission’s end, typically within 1 or 2 days. A list of winners is also available on each mission’s page. Please check if you are on it.

I am sure I have completed a mission but I am not on the list of winners. What can I do?

Do not contact support. Instead, please contact your region’s Armored Warfare representative (SilentstalkerFTR) via the official Discord channel.

What kind of goals and reward opportunities are there in Perihelion?

There are four types of activities in the Perihelion event.

• Missions are the basic goals anyone can complete. Please check the Missions section for the list of available missions
  • Global Goals depend on the performance of the entire Armored Warfare community. Please check the Global Goals for the list of available objectives
  • Secret Objectives depend on you finding secrets within the event itself. Secrets can be anywhere. Extremely high rewards await those who uncover them. Secret Objectives may or may not be active at any given time – you never know
  • Contests are separate events attached to Perihelion, which typically require other type of participation than basic gameplay (such as various pieces of art) and have their own rewards. A typical example would be designing the Perihelion camouflage

How is this event connected to the Storyline Campaign?

This event replaces the Storyline Campaign and will use some of the same prizes. Players who already have those from the Storyline Campaign will receive Gold compensation as per mission’s description.

Most current info will be listed in posts, just go through them in the thread.

Lore stuff:
https://aw.my.games/en/about/storyline-campaign/story
https://aw.my.games/en/perihelion
https://aw.my.games/en/david-murdoch
https://aw.my.games/en/samuel-thorpe
https://aw.my.games/en/gail-espinoza

Shards:
https://aw.my.games/en/c-ram-truck
https://aw.my.games/en/vickers-skin-concept
https://aw.my.games/en/nona-s

Edited by Haswell (see edit history)

Spoiler

2022/02/19 Updates:

Global Goals

This event features global community goals – requirements the whole community can meet for additional rewards. Meeting community goals influences the direction of the story, unlocks additional rewards and Shards of the Past.

glog1

This time, your decisions will influence future vehicle introduction. More mission completions of the MBT mission (Hammer) will mean a high-Tier MBT will be introduced in the future. More global mission completions of the AFV mission will make us switch to a scout AFV.

https://aw.my.games/en/mission-scouts-honor

Scouting is as much as art as it is science and takes a long time to master. Perihelion’s troops are gaining valuable skills in the art of reconnaissance while testing a wide array of vehicles provided by Murdoch’s generosity.

scoutshonor

Time Frame:

• Start: February 19, 10:00 CET
  • End: February 22, 21:59 CET

Objectives:

• Win 16 matches in a scout AFV (in any mode)

Please note that only scout AFVs count towards this objective. The list of scout AFVs is as follows:

List of Scout AFVs (Click to Open)

• LAV-150
  • OT-65A
  • BMP-1
  • BMD-1
  • BMP-1P
  • BMD-1P
  • BWP-1M Puma
  • BMD-2
  • BMP-2
  • VBL
  • BMD-4
  • FV 721
  • BMP-3
  • Sabre
  • VBL INGWE
  • BMP-3M
  • BMD-2M
  • VBR
  • BM 2T Stalker
  • Griffin 50mm
  • CRAB
  • K-153C Raybolt
  • RST-V Shadow
  • Sphinx

Rewards:

• 2 Platinum Loot Crates
  • Perihelion decal (or 220 Gold, includes +10% bonus)
  • MPF Light Tank for the player who completed the mission with the most battles

We’d like to remind you to keep in mind we’ll definitely be checking the winners for their battle activities (entering a battle, doing little damage and leaving will lead to a disqualification).

https://aw.my.games/en/mission-hammer

The training continues for Perihelion with more and more MBTs arriving for the troops to explore. David Murdoch has clearly not been sparing any expense and some of the prototypes delivered to Arizona look very exotic. But cutting edge is not always the best solution – modern tanks are very conspicuous and notoriously expensive to maintain. Perhaps it would be better to stick to the basics... ?

hammer

Time Frame:

• Start: February 19, 10:00 CET
  • End: February 22, 21:59 CET

Objectives:

• Win 16 Random Battle or Global Operation matches in an MBT

Please note that only MBTs count towards this objective. The MBT played the most will receive a special bonus for future missions as well as a prominent role in the Storyline Campaign.

https://aw.my.games/en/news/general/contest-design-perihelion-camouflage

Commanders!

The Perihelion event is in full swing with the eponymous company training its troops in the Arizona desert under the watchful eye of Samuel Thorpe. While the basic training proceeds without major interruptions, the troops have been constantly complaining about their tanks being painted black and grey under the blistering Arizonian sun.

scr1

Additionally, the color black and grey, while being an excellent friend-or-foe identifier (at least versus the U.S. Army) don’t exactly blend well in the desert environment (or anywhere, for that matter). The Perihelion troops have been calling for a proper camouflage pattern since day one and today, we’re going to grant their wish.

Your task in this contest will be to design universal Perihelion camouflage by submitting a suitable design to our dedicated form.

The design can be pretty much anything and submitted in any manner, but each submission must contain the following elements:

• Your player name
  • Description of the camouflage with any additional information (such as color RGB/HEX codes, ratio descriptions and such – anything you deem fit)
  • Link to at least one image of the camouflage

Regarding the final point – the image does not have to be an in-game vehicle render. It can be anything, from a single tile of the camouflage, a pen and pencil drawing of it, a photo of a real-life camouflage, a photoshopped image or even a screenshot of a mod. It’s the idea that counts, not the artistic rendition. The winning submission will become (for the purposes of the game’s story, art and its potential future introduction) the official Perihelion camouflage.

The best submissions from both regions will be put up for a vote after the contest submission period ends. Based on the amount of community votes, the winners will receive the following prizes:

• First place: Namer Tier 10 Premium AFV (or its equivalent in Gold, winner’s choice)
  • Second place: MPF Tier 10 Premium LT (or its equivalent in Gold if the winner has it already)
  • Third place: BM Oplot Tier 9 Premium MBT (or its equivalent in Gold if the winner has it already)

Additionally, each submission that makes it to the voting phase will be rewarded with 1.500 Gold.

Please note:

• The submission phase ends on March 6, 2022 at 21:59 CET
  • Each player may only submit one submissions, edits are not allowed (in case of more submissions from the same player, only the first one will count)
  • The entries must not contain any elements that are third party intellectual property (typical example here would be popular commercial camouflage patterns such as Cryptek Typhon)
  • The entries must not contain any elements that are against our Terms of Service (containing forbidden symbols or imagery)
  • The Armored Warfare members of staff reserve the right to disqualify any entry at their discretion
  • By submitting his or her work in this contest, each player agrees with the use of the submission in Armored Warfare promotion and/or the game itself
  • Armored Warfare reserves the right to decide whether to introduce any entry to the game or not. If the entry is ever introduced, its author will receive the camouflage for free without any further conditions

We hope that you will enjoy this event and, as always:

I'm partial towards squishies, so squishies all the way. Also means I won't have to suffer through PvP.

Spoiler

Mission: Land of the Blind

- Win 20 Realistic Battle matches

Time Frame:

Start: February 23, 15:00 CET
    End: February 26, 21:59 CET

Really hope the Que times get better, otherwise I don't see 20 wins happening in the given time.

Except that, as people are pointing out in in-game chat, the event doesn't actually start for another 15.5 hours because Realistic Battles is locked and doesn't open until then.

So if I'm doing the math right, that's 15:00 CET on February 24, not February 23.

15 hours ago, knutliott said:

Except that, as people are pointing out in in-game chat, the event doesn't actually start for another 15.5 hours because Realistic Battles is locked and doesn't open until then.

Now in-game global chat has been disabled ... hmmm. Thank goodness for the forum.

QR

I don't get it why somebody still bother with for this lousy shit.

It's worth the effort for 2 Platinum Loot Crates and only one shade of Grey?!?

:skepiseal2k:

The chat was disabled in order not to hurt Putler's feelings....

Edited by Serpent (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Quantum_Ranger said:

Now in-game global chat has been disabled ... hmmm. Thank goodness for the forum.

QR

I wonder why.

https://aw.my.games/en/mission-calm-storm

Listen, Gail, we’ve been through this. You know why I chose you and you know why I must do the same for him. No, don’t mention his name; you never know who is listening. This whole situation, it won’t last and you know what’s at stake. Now, be a good girl and begin the preparations. Do not mention your past, do not mention where you come from. He must not suspect a thing, not until he’s ready – and that is for me to decide.

• David Murdoch (phone call excerpt, March 2028)

Gail Espinoza and Samuel Thorpe are still wracking their brains about its composition since Murdoch’s connections gave them the access to pretty much all the tech in the world.

misison5

Now is the time to finally decide the future of the Perihelion outfit before its deployment. Based on your decisions in previous missions, we’ve determined that the interest in both MBTs and scout AFVs is roughly the same. That is why Perihelion’s outfit will definitely include:

• Reduced MBT company (two platoons of four tanks each)
  • Scout platoon (armed with recon vehicles)

The third unit is yours to decide and will determine not only the story, but also the nature of the outfit, future skins and various bonuses available for using these vehicles. Read the Objectives and Special Rules sections carefully.

Time Frame:

• Start: March 7, 12:00 CET
  • End: March 13, 21:59 CET

Objectives:

• Win 30 matches in any mode in one of the vehicles defined below. Read the Special Rules section for a full list of vehicles and consequences.

Rewards:

• 2 Platinum Loot Crates
  • Perihelion Black base paint (or 440 Gold)

Special Rules:

Please note:

• You must use the vehicles from the lists below. You will receive the mission prize by using any of the listed vehicles but the most played category will determine the category winner along with its drawbacks and bonuses
  • Combining categories for one completion is not possible – winning 10 matches in one category and 20 matches in another category will result in mission failure
  • It is possible to complete the mission twice, each time with a different category (or twice with the same one)
  • This choice will also affect future skins as well as Commander Samuel Thorpe’s skins in the future

The following categories are available:

Self-Propelled Anti-Aircraft Guns: You are fine with the composition as it is – a reduced tank company and a scout platoon. Some extra anti-air capability would do the outfit good but you believe the firepower is more than sufficient as is.

• Advantage: None (No change)
  • Disadvantage: None (No change)

List of Vehicles, SPAAG (Click to Open)
Spoiler
  • 2S38 Derivatsiya
  • Abrams AGDS
  • AMX-13 DCA
  • B1 Draco
  • M48 GAU-8
  • Stryker ADATS
  • T249 Vigilante
  • XM247 Sergeant York
  • ZSU-23-4 Shilka

Mechanized Infantry: Heavy and fast IFVs that carry Mechanized Infantry. They accompany tanks into battle but carry enough firepower and troops to hold their own.

• Advantage: Future mission difficulty reduced by 10%
  • Drawback: Future rewards decreased by 20%

List of Vehicles, Mechanized Infantry (Click to Open)
Spoiler
  • AS21 Redback
  • BMP-1
  • BMP-1P
  • BMP-2
  • BMP-3
  • BMP-3M
  • Bradley Fighting Vehicle
  • BVP M-80A
  • BVP Šakal
  • BWP-1M
  • BWP-2000
  • CV90 Mk.IV
  • Hunter AFV
  • K21
  • Rosomak
  • Rosomak M1
  • Kurganets 25
  • Marder 2
  • Type 89
  • Warrior
  • ZBD-86
  • ZBL-08

Airborne: This group consists of light airmobile vehicle that can, in some cases, be deployed by parachuting. This allows them to surprise the enemy and sometimes capture more objectives than other vehicles would. The vehicles are extremely mobile and sometimes carry significant firepower, but are also quite fragile and can’t hold their own against heavy opposition.

• Advantage: Future rewards increased by 25%
  • Drawback: Future mission difficulty increased by 25%

List of Vehicles, Airborne (Click to Open)
Spoiler
  • BMD-1
  • BMD-1P
  • BMD-2
  • BMD-2M
  • BMD-4
  • Expeditionary Tank
  • Griffin 50mm
  • Griffin 120mm
  • M551 Sheridan
  • M8-105 Buford
  • M8-120 Thunderbolt
  • MPF Light Tank
  • RDF/LT
  • Sabre
  • Scorpion 90
  • Scorpion Kastet
  • Sprut-SD
  • Stingray
  • Stingray 2

Tank Killers: A squad of dedicated Tank Destroyers to deal with any armored opponents. These can typically also be used as infantry fire support in any environment but the lack of IFVs for the infantry will limit the versatility of the formation.

• Advantage: Future rewards increased by 30%
  • Drawback: Missions become more PvP focused

List of Vehicles, Tank Killers (Click to Open)
Spoiler
  • AFT-10
  • B1 Centauro
  • B1 Centauro 120
  • Bradley AAWS-H
  • C-13 TUA
  • Dragun 125
  • EE-18 Sucuri II
  • ERC-90 F4 Sagaie
  • FV438 Swingfire
  • IT-1
  • K-153C Raybolt
  • Khrizantema-S
  • Kornet-D1
  • Kornet-EM
  • LAV-300
  • LAV-600
  • M1128 Stryker
  • M1134 ATGM
  • M8 MGM-166
  • NM142
  • Object 287
  • PTL-02 Assaulter
  • PTZ-89
  • ST1
  • SU-152 Taran
  • Taifun II
  • VCAC Mephisto
  • Wiesel TOW
  • Wiesel HOT
  • WWO Wilk
  • Wilk XC-8
  • Zhalo-S
  • Zubr PSP

Artillery: Several pieces of self-propelled artillery bolster your ranks. Operating such tech is incredibly expensive and requires far more than just the vehicles, which means your overheads will not be as good. On the upside, such fire support can crack even the toughest defenses with ease.

• Advantage: Missions become more PvE focused
  • Drawback: Future rewards decreased by 30%

List of Vehicles, Artillery (Click to Open)
Spoiler
  • 2S1 Gvozdika
  • 2S3 Akatsiya
  • Centauro 155
  • FV433 Abbot
  • FV433 Abbot VE
  • M108
  • M109A6
  • Msta-S
  • MT-LB S8
  • Palmaria
  • Panzerhaubitze 2000
  • Pindad SBS
  • PLZ-05
  • PLZ-89

We’d like to remind you to keep in mind we’ll definitely be checking the winners for their battle activities (entering a battle, doing little damage and leaving will lead to a disqualification).

I'm going to aim for SPAAG and/or infantry, simply because they offer the most return to the campaign with the least effort. Note that the reward modifiers are practically irrelevant given that it only affect scalable rewards, and all we've been getting so far are platinum lootboxes and/or paltry amounts of gold. It makes zero difference whether you get two lootboxes or three, and the difference between 400 gold and 500 isn't significant at all.

• SPAAG won't affect anything, full of easy to play vehicles
  • Infantry will decrease the campaign difficulty = less playing time required later on
  • Airborne is stupid because increasing the difficulty will just lead to lower participation rate for the campaign.
  • TDs are stupid because PvP focus.
  • Arty may technically be a good choice, but we don't know how much more PvE-focused the campaign can get. I'd rather take the quantifiable difficulty reduction over the unknown.

Spoiler

On 3/7/2022 at 7:40 AM, Haswell said:
  • SPAAG won't affect anything, full of easy to play vehicles
  • Infantry will decrease the campaign difficulty = less playing time required later on
  • Airborne is stupid because increasing the difficulty will just lead to lower participation rate for the campaign.
  • TDs are stupid because PvP focus.
  • Arty may technically be a good choice, but we don't know how much more PvE-focused the campaign can get. I'd rather take the quantifiable difficulty reduction over the unknown.

All of this.

I'm going SPAAG first.  If I get time to do a second set of 30, I will probably do SPAAG again because I think that's the best choice, but I wouldn't be upset of Infantry won.  Like you said, crates and gold are basically irrelevant, and they can't really give us 90% of an actual reward like a paint, camo, or portrait/decals.

TDs are worse than stupid, to be honest - that's a toxic choice.  You can win the TD mission by playing PvE, which then makes the campaign more PvP focused.  That's just a recipe for meta-griefing.  They really need to stop trying to trick/force people into playing PvP - doing so just self-sabotages the events.

I think Artillery is only technically a good choice on paper.  I worry that having an Artillery attachment might require use of Artillery later, and frankly I'm not interested in a bunch of people playing Arty in PvE who aren't competent in those vehicles.  When you occasionally see them now, the player is usually at least decent in the vehicle (which still means they're a drag overall, but that's because Arty sucks).  I'm all for making the campaign easier (read: less grindy) overall, but not if that means we're going to have to use SPGs.

https://aw.my.games/en/news/general/perihelion-camouflage-contest-voting

56K WARNING

Commanders!

As a part of the Perihelion event, we asked you to design Perihelion camouflage. We’re happy to submit the following entries for your consideration:

Camouflage Submissions (Click to Open)
Spoiler

In alphabetical order:

Серый_Волчище

ser

AimingatTank

scr1

ALPH4_PR3D4T0R

scr2

Andymc3

scr3

ArekP64

scr4

Brethil

scr5

COBRA-KING

scr6

Deadly_Bullet

scr7

dfnce

scr8

Donkey46

Donkey46

Eisenherz

scr9

FEater

scr10

Greymon35360

scr11

Haswell

scr12

Huskysoul

scr13

Keenwolfe

scr14

MilanoMiliz

scr15

Netherstorm

scr16

Overlord-II

scr17

SciroccoOne

scr18

SEPAR_2

scr19

sergeantjim

s

simolens

scr20

Tahax

scr21

Tomcat_SRB

scr22

XALER0Z

sc23

Yic0Ya

vic

You can vote until March 14, 2022, 8:00 CET (10 MSK) using this form.

After the vote, the winners will be published. Please note that in order to avoid any vote tampering, we’ll be carefully monitoring all entries and the results.

We hope you enjoyed the contest and are looking forward to its results.

See you on the battlefield!

Some really nice looking camos here, I feel especially happy seeing camos modded into the game.

:whatislove:

Vote Haswell!

Spoiler

https://aw.my.games/en/news/general/perihelion-camouflage-contest-results

As a part of the Perihelion Event, we asked you to design Perihelion camouflage and today, we’re ready to announce the top 3 winners:

First place – Серый_Волчище with a scaled-themed camouflage texture resembling the Black Mamba snake.

ser

Second place – ArekP64

scr4

Third place – SciroccoOne

scr18

The winners will receive their prizes soon, as will all the finalists (except for the Namer, which needs to be introduced to the game).

Thank you all for participating and your votes! We hope you enjoyed the contest and are looking forward to its results.

If you think SS sounds disappointed, you're not wrong. Some more tidbits from Discord:

7ArKqWJ.png

YriupMQ.png

iqegjJs.png

VrC9NWQ.png

jJUou3u.jpg

In other news, SPAAG won the previous mission (click the link to check the winners, too many names): https://aw.my.games/en/mission-calm-storm

List of Winners (SPAAG, 959 completions) (Click to Open)

List of Winners (Mechanized Infantry, 628 completions) (Click to Open)

List of Winners (Airborne, 859 completions) (Click to Open)

List of Winners (Tank Killers, 765 completions) (Click to Open)

List of Winners (Artillery, 184 completions) (Click to Open)

• Last list update in: 15.3.2022

A possible next mission is also leaked:

81ZjYHz.png

7fzby51.png

Q2TrNku.png

Spoiler

https://aw.my.games/en/mission-nightwatch

The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.

• H.P. Lovecraft

Samuel Thorpe is woken in the night by the sound of distant gunfire. Something’s happening at a nearby base and nobody’s sure what. The comms are jammed and nobody’s able to raise the local military units. Rousing a few troops from their sleep and taking whatever vehicles are fuelled up and armed, Thorpe and Gail Espinoza set off to investigate.

Time Frame:

• Start: March 15, 17:00 CET
  • End: March 21, 21:59 CET

Objectives:

• Win 18 matches in any mode (night maps only, any vehicle)

Please note that only the listed night maps count towards this objective (some are intentionally omitted). The list of night maps is as follows:

List of Night Maps (Click to Open)

• PvP: Moscow
  • PvP: Pleternica (Encounter)
  • PvE: Basilisk
  • PvE: Desert Saber
  • PvE: Desert Viper
  • PvE: Erebos
  • PvE: Meltdown
  • PvE: Perseus
  • PvE: Ricochet
  • PvE: Sapphire
  • PvE: Snakebite
  • PvE: Starry Night
  • PvE: Stormy Winter
  • PvE: Umbrella
  • PvE: Wildfire

Rewards:

• 2 Platinum Loot Crates
  • David Murdoch player avatar (or 220 Gold)

Special Rules

This mission’s community result will have an influence on the story resolution:

• 5.000 completions or lower, they do not arrive on time to make a difference
  • Above 5.000 completions across the community, they do arrive on time to make a difference
  • The mission’s basic difficulty is reduced by 10% below the usual 3 victories per day due to the fact that Perihelion’s vehicles are painted black, which puts them at an advantage in combat
  • Given the SPAAG category victory in the previous mission, the difficulty and rewards do not change

Additionally, there are Global Goals in place that you can see here.

Also some new lore articles:

https://aw.my.games/en/united-states-america

https://aw.my.games/en/norah-ferguson

Spoiler

A list of article pages relevant to Perihelion, for EN and RU: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_4bpKESHlqtyclHyMWzbrf6qy76EpwIFeQubjfc1SWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Useful for secret hunting, assuming we know what to look for. The only hint we have so far is that something is was active on March 4, and that it's present on both EN and RU sites.

k0iZSFv.png

ZVtyX1b.png

BT1llxv.png

Spoiler

https://aw.my.games/en/about/perihelion/perihelion-update-6

https://aw.my.games/en/about/perihelion/perihelion-update-7

https://aw.my.games/en/mission-wages-sin

Arriving just in the nick of time, Samuel Thorpe and the few units he could muster on short notice find the American base under siege by an unknown enemy. Crimson-painted vehicles belonging to an unknown faction are ransacking the place, firing at everything not bearing its sigil of a baleful eye crossed by a sword. A battle is joined.

Time Frame:

AFV:

• Start: March 24, 17:00 CET
  • End: March 31, 21:59 CET

MBT:

• Start: March 25, 17:00 CET
  • End: March 28, 21:59 CET

Objectives:

You can choose between these two objectives:

• Win 18 Random Battle or Global Operations matches within the allotted time frame using a scout AFV (list below)

Or:

• Win 22 matches in any mode within the allotted time frame using any MBT

Special Rules

This mission consists of two alternative goals. You can complete it either in a scout AFV (listed below) and you have the full duration at your disposal or in an MBT (but you have to do it during the weekend).

Each category can only be completed once. Therefore, to get the Gold reward, you have to complete both categories once (completing one category twice won’t do).

List of Scout AFVs (Click to Open)

• LAV-150
  • OT-65A
  • BMP-1
  • BMD-1
  • BMP-1P
  • BMD-1P
  • BWP-1M Puma
  • BMD-2
  • BMP-2
  • VBL TOW
  • BMD-4
  • FV 721
  • BMP-3
  • Sabre
  • VBL
  • BMP-3M
  • BMD-2M
  • VBR
  • BM 2T Stalker
  • Griffin 50mm
  • CRAB
  • K-153C Raybolt
  • RST-V Shadow
  • Sphinx

Rewards:

• 3 Platinum Loot Crates
  • Gail Espinoza player avatar (or 330 Gold)

Also, the secret has been solved. More details will be published later.

Spoiler

Solution to the secret, and hopefully the first of many to come (click to open spoilers):

Spoiler

We start with a very big clue: SS hinting on March 4 that nobody read hints, which implies there is indeed an active secret as of March 4. SS also says the secret can't be found via web crawling, meaning there are no hidden pages on the AW website. The secret also has to work on both EU and RU sites, so any articles containing clues are required to have both EU and RU versions.

This tells us whatever the clues are, it will either lead to an old article or somewhere else entirely. Not much to go on.

k0iZSFv.png

ZVtyX1b.png

BT1llxv.png

The famous red herring on the portal found at the beginning of the campaign is just that, a red herring that leads to nowhere.

*note: I can't find the red herring on the portal now, but here is what it looks like:

Original:
5waVrPc.png

Adjusted:
yQaQECn.png

At this point there aren't a lot of leads as most people have already gone over all the existing content looking for irregularities. Dead ends included "back to basics" from the Hammer mission which had me running over old articles that are hilariously outdated (ie. https://aw.my.games/en/about/vehicles-classes/main-battle-tanks), this took up about a week of my time before I finally gave up and started compiling a list of campaign articles mirrored across both EU and RU instead (remember, clues to the secret have to exist on both sites).

You can find my semi-updated list of articles here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_4bpKESHlqtyclHyMWzbrf6qy76EpwIFeQubjfc1SWQ/edit?usp=sharing

So I went back to the story update article (also published on March 4), hoping it contained whatever hint SS was referring. Several thing stood out to me: Murdoch, Perihelion, clenched fists and open palms (possible references to the PLM which uses two fists as their insignia) Espinoza, Thorpe and his job in Dubai. This is quite a lot to go on, and I spent another week chasing after ghosts and dead ends again.

https://aw.my.games/en/news/general/perihelion-story-update

Side note: I really miss the old lore of AW and the various different factions:
https://aw.my.games/en/news/general/enemies-armored-warfare-plm
https://aw.my.games/en/news/general/enemies-armored-warfare-npaa
https://aw.my.games/en/news/general/enemies-armored-warfare-tihina-division
https://aw.my.games/en/news/general/enemies-armored-warfare-elite-llc

A Hail Mary shot is made when I looked over the story again (keeping in mind RU don't have any previous story before this update), this time focusing on Dubai as there have barely been any mention of this location so far in the game and the campaign.

byovk0E.png

TaYio9r.png

It's still not much, but I had made exactly zero progress anyway so why not? Maybe I am meant to look for something referencing Dubai again. Going over the articles AGAIN, I started combing over every image used in the campaign up to March 4 and decided the picture with the burning building on the portal had the least context given. Lo and behold, something came up.

https://aw.my.games/en/news/general/armored-warfare-perihelion

jVf5quw.png

gBCbVqu.png

X1lxG8M.

I originally dismissed this as artifacts resulting from the image compression, but after consulting SS he confirmed that what I found was NOT a fluke. After finding this clue it was fairly smooth sailing and progress was made very quickly. X1lxG8M is in fact an Imgur album code, a throwback to the secret from the campaign last year.

Tip: you should really read up on the solution from last time to get an idea of how much work is required to follow the clues: https://armoredlabs.net/index.php?/topic/14083-storyline-campaign-megathread/page/2/&tab=comments#comment-22888

The Imgur album in question:
https://imgur.com/a/X1IxG8M
Fz3pewP.png

With enhancements:
m13VAPx.png

To say this is getting creepy is an understatement. Given how poorly the image compressed, I assumed that I'm not supposed to actually read the mess of letters since the overlap made some of them unreadable anyway. I teamed up with @Azdule at this point as he and I arrived at the same clue by now. Based on the upload date of the image, it is also clear to me that the secret has likely been active since the beginning of the campaign on Feb 10/11.

Looking closer at the image I found more artifacts once again, but this time I'm not taking any chances: there are no random artifacts.

Lbj3bqO.png

The artifacts on the image are curiously placed over specific letters and numbers and don't show up anywhere else, clearly this must be some other clue. Here is the list of letters and numbers found:

vUU
vo
yH
Pr
XBK
THs7

Yeah, bleh. More code. Luckily this time it's fairly easy.

https://forms.gle/vUU4voyHPrXBKTHs7

vZFCZXs.png

RKp9Ne9.png

YXG03Pu.png

End of the road.

Some personal thoughts of mine before I wrap this up: this secret was NOT fun to solve. The first clue of Dubai and the Imgur code were nearly impossible to discover if I did not have hours of time sitting down going over every letter and pixel. It was fairly easy after that given I had experience with solving previous secrets, but the difficulty of the first clue here is disproportionately high compared to the rest of the steps. I saw plenty of people give up over the last two months after having made zero progress. I'm not too happy with this, I hope the first clues of future secrets will be more accessible so people can actually have something to work with.

On the plus side, I'm happy that SS took my advice of allowing multiple winners for this secret. This has been quite a journey, and not one that I could have made to the end alone.

I hope the next secret will be more fun to work with. Like I said, the first clue is flat out awful and easily missed.

• Upvote 6

Spoiler

https://aw.my.games/en/news/general/perihelion-story-update-0

And now, the continuation:

• A few hours ago

“So, let me see if I get you right. You’re proposing to keep the black paint and then add... what now? Snake scales as a camouflage?”

base1

“Yup, pretty much,” I grinned, before adding:

“Come on, it’s gonna look cool.”

Ferguson shook her head on the screen in front of me, equally amused and annoyed. She clearly wasn’t back in Chicago yet but the hotel room behind her looked fancy enough to be anywhere in the world where Murdoch mattered – maybe even Dubai? Why do I keep thinking of Dubai?

“No, Mister Thorpe. That’s not going to fly. I’ll... think of something.”

A short pause as she made a few quick notes.

“Right. To the other matter at hand. What do you and Miss Espinoza think of the vehicles provided to you? What do you believe would be the best course of action?”

I looked back at Espinoza standing behind me and she nodded quietly. We both weren’t exactly sure about our decisions but Jim seemed to agree and that was confirmation enough for us.

“We’ll take a couple of anti-aircraft systems. These things are really good against soft ground targets and who knows – some bad guy might have a gunship or two stashed for a rainy day. We’re going to need to figure things out though – this isn’t exactly low tech we’re talking about. It might take a while longer. But...”

I sighed. I was about to lie a bit... no, not lie. Exaggerate. Big difference there... or was it?

“...the rest of the troops are more or less ready and awaiting their orders. We’ve had some rough patches but we seem to have ironed the worst issues out. We’ll have a tank company and a few squads of mechanized infantry. I hope we’ll get something better than these rusty old BMPs, but unless you want us to take on the whole U.S. Army, it’s going to be enough.”

Ferguson stared at me in silence for a short while and then nodded.

“Very well. Keep me posted.”

With that, she broke connection.

“Told you that the snake pattern was a bad idea,” Espinoza patted me on the shoulder, visibly happier now that my amazing idea was so unceremoniously rejected. “Keep that shit on your private stuff, don’t force it on us. Anyway, dinner?”

I chuckled.

“Now, ma’am, are you taking me somewhere fancy?”

“Only the best MRE’s for you, sir!”

“Oh my,” I retorted. “What will people think?”

It was her turn to laugh.

“That everyone eats the same shit. Which is good. For morale, I mean,” she added.

• Now

For the first time since my fateful encounter with Murdoch, I dreamt that night. The past days had been too busy for me to do anything but sleep but somehow, a nightmare wormed its way into my exhausted mind.

It wasn’t the usual nightmare though. I was falling into a deep, dark void resonating with primal bass frequencies that created or shattered celestial bodies, the sound of dying stars permeating my very existence. Somehow, my mind, ablaze from the ordeal, mustered enough strength to make a single word out of the noise – a word I could neither recognize nor remember afterwards.

I was rescued from the experience by a firm tap on my shoulder but the first seconds of my awakening did let me know that the true nightmare might have only just begun.

It was still the middle of the night but the camp was abuzz with chaotic activity and an air of barely contained panic. Sharp cracks of small arms fire and the deeper thunder of ordnance explosions could be heard but I immediately realized they were at least a few miles away – few who have never fired a gun or heard artillery up close have any idea just how painfully loud it is. Regardless, this was bad news – about the worst kind of news actually because a full-fledged battle wasn’t something that typically took place in the USA, no matter how close to the border you got.

“What the fuck... what’s going on?”

It was Espinoza waking me up and it was the first time I’d see her truly worried. She waved someone off and shouted a few orders in Spanish before getting back to me.

“It started a few minutes ago. Landlines are cut, the comms are jammed, there’s no cell signal and even the satellite connection’s not working.”

I was about to ask how that was possible but she waved any questions off.

“We don’t know any more than that. Jim...”, she took a deep breath while pointing at the Native American man organizing a few troopers, “...thinks the U.S. base is under attack.”

I shook my head, still trying to clear my mind of the nightmare’s remnants and to wrap my head around the situation.

“Could it be an exercise?”

But I immediately understood just how vain that hope was.

“No. This is not a training area for ground troops. They wouldn’t cut off the comms for that either and they sure as hell wouldn’t start an artillery duel in the middle of the night without prior warning. We also heard a few louder explosions. We think that might have been some ammunition exploding. Not sure.”

The whole situation felt so surreal. I reached for a bottle of water and emptied it with a few quick gulps.

“We even talked about that, right? Attacking a military base, that’s suicide. For anyone, the Mexican army’s a mess, the cartels don’t have a lot of heavy duty firepower, hell, even the corporations...”

She nodded.

“Yeah. Like I said, we don’t know what’s going on. But...”

She suddenly looked up, her expression turning into a determined frown.

“We’re about to find out.”

I gasped at her.

“Are you crazy? We barely finished training, we have no vehicles refueled or armed and you want to drive into that shit?!”

“The Banger’s ready,” she cocked her had towards a rusty heap of metal nearby, “someone filled ‘er up in the evening, probably to take her for a spin.”

“What the hell’s a banger?” I responded, confused.

“That old rusty M113 we salvaged earlier. Cleaned her up, even got some ammo for that recoilless on top.”

Despite the circumstances, I couldn’t contain a chuckle at the absurdity of the name.

“Ah. That’s why she’s called “the Banger”, for the big boom.”

Suddenly, her face flushed a bit with what looked like embarrassment. I wouldn’t notice, were it not for all the generator-powered lamps lighting up all around the camps.

“Well, THAT...and there’s a stretcher inside. If you get my drift.”

“Oh.”

She stood up, pointing at two men standing nearby.

“Vasquez, Donner, take the Banger and drive ahead. Don’t go looking for trouble – turn back at the first sign of danger and report back to the camp.”

They both saluted and ran off. A while later, creaking, roaring and belching smoke, the ancient APC started to move and gradually picked up speed before disappearing behind the first bend of the dirt road leading from the camp, leaving only a cloud of dust behind.

Ten minutes have passed and the conflict seemed to be raging with unabated intensity. The entire camp was awake by that time, men and women scurrying collecting weapons, hastily strapping on bits of gear and getting ready in all sorts of ways.

Nearby, much to my disappointment, the fuelling of the fastest vehicles took precedence over the present MBTs as it took far shorter time to fill them up than our gas-guzzling monsters.

The scout crews set off first, the wheels of multiple army-loaned Jaguars carrying them to battle following the tracks of the still absent and now presumably ill-fated Banger.

The tanks came next, each taking good ten minutes to fully refuel. It wasn’t technically needed to top them off but you wouldn’t believe just how much juice fifty tons of steel consume in combat – better to be safe than sorry. Furthermore, who knows what could happen to our camp. It meant we’d be arriving piecemeal but under the circumstances, it was the best idea anyone had.

milbase34

The first vehicles to depart after the scouts were my Black Mamba, Espinoza’s Nightsinger and O’Sullivan’s Faugh a Ballagh. Each of us nodded at our crews as we embarked, giving last orders to the rest and casting each other one final, worried glance. O’Sullivan seemed the most worried, muttering curses and shouting at the men near his somewhat obsolete tank.

But, as Chuck Yeager once famously said: “It’s the man, not the machine”, and old O’Sullivan, a grizzled veteran of the New Troubles, mode than made up for any deficiencies of older tech with experience and courage. I haven’t had much time to get to know him but many in the camp regarded him as a sort of grandfather – the yelling old coot type.

I climbed the BMPT and wiggled my way into the commander’s hatch.

Inside, I closed my eyes and allowed the noise of the outside world drift away. How quickly the world can change in a few minutes, I thought. Could this be why Murdoch sent us here, in the middle of nowhere – to prepare for such an eventuality? But if it was so, why wouldn’t he tell us? Going into battle without reliable intel was, at best, foolhardy, but mostly it was just plain stupid. And yet, here we were, not waiting for the scouts. Such and many other thoughts raced in my mind as I forced myself to focus on the present.

The radio, still abuzz with a deep and peculiar (and yet, strangely familiar) droning sound so unlike any jamming I’ve ever heard before, was still useless. We’ll have to do this oldschool, I realized.

Leaning out of the hatch, I waved at Espinoza and saw her silhouette, bathed in the glow of camp lights, returning the gesture. Time to go.

The base wasn’t far – thirty minutes by a car, at most – so we began to see signs of conflict almost immediately. There were several abandoned cars, their lights still piercing the darkness that surrounded them as everyone inside left the scene in a hurry. There wasn’t a soul in sight, an uncanny feeling even in the dead of night.

Some minutes later, we ran into one of our scouts, also abandoned in the middle of the road, its engine still running. Not sparing any time to investigate and with the sounds of battle drawing ever closer, all of us grew more anxious by the minute. Ramirez, the driver, started humming a wistful tune while I fiddled with the radio buttons, trying to catch something – anything, really.

That was a mistake but, in retrospect and knowing what I know now, things probably wouldn’t have been different if I hadn’t. Just as we were descending towards the final stretch of the journey and were already seeing some blazes on our thermal imager screens, several things happened in rapid succession. The droning sound got extremely loud.

Then it stopped and my entire universe was suddenly enveloped in silence almost as eerie as the sound, the kind that bores into your skull and takes over, the kind that can drive men insane.

Confused, I looked around. Everything felt like in slow motion, as if the world almost stood still in that very moment. And then came the chorus of voices, deep, metallic and scraping at the inner edges of my skull in unison with such primordial force that it shook the very core of my being. It was impassionate and ageless, as if the universe itself woke up to speak. Words appeared in my mind, their power enough to tear reality asunder.

“PAWNS OF THE EXILE APPEAR.”

Gasping for air, I tried to cover my ears but to no avail.

“TURN BACK. THE DECEIVER SHALL PAY AND SO SHALL HIS PROGENY. IT IS ORDAINED. TURN BACK.”

The voice grew ever weaker with the last two works repeated over and over until it became a mere whisper and then finally faded into nothingness.

“TURN... BACK... Turn...... back.......”

My head was spinning as if concussed from the experience. The crew appeared equally struck and the vehicle ground slowly to a halt as Ramirez tried to get things under control. Despite the proximity of the fighting, we all felt like we had to get outside. The other crews fared no better and we just stood there in silence for what felt like an eternity, shaking our heads and trying to filter the experience out. We all heard the same thing, apparently. In the end, Espinoza was the first to speak.

“Jesus... I... what WAS that thing?”

“I don’t know. Some kind of psyop maybe? A comms hijack? Never heard of anything as powerful though...”

She shook her head and waved me over away from the others who paid us little heed, still reeling from the experience.

“No, it was more than that. The thing... the person, whoever was it, it knew me. It knew my name.”

I stared at her blankly with a million questions on my mind but our little tête-à-tête was interrupted by another explosion in the vicinity, which finally woke us all up. One last strange look she gave me before suddenly turning into her usual self.

“Right. Back to the machines, it isn’t safe here. Look though...”

Below us, the base was burning. Pillars of smoke obscured the area with the intensity of clearly uncontrolled fires blinding both our eyes and the vehicles’ sensors. We could see shadows of men running, screaming and dying and what looked like several companies of armored vehicles of types we couldn’t readily identify pounding the perimeter, their guns spitting death at anything that moved outside their zone of interest where a host of invaders could be seen carrying boxes from the base towards one of the larger vehicles, their shadows superhumanly large against the backdrop of a burning army tank.

Curiously, the source of the looters seemed to be the very same bunker we saw Ferguson enter during our last visit back when the base wasn’t filled with bodies and smoldering wreckage. That’s where we’d start, I thought, as our three machines started barreling towards the warzone.

Spoiler

https://aw.my.games/en/about/perihelion/perihelion-update-8

https://aw.my.games/en/mission-revelations

During the engagement, enemy troops are caught loading trucks with hardware previously identified as belonging to Perihelion and stored on the base. Luckily for the beleaguered Perihelion vanguard, they receive reinforcements in the form of additional vehicles arriving from the camp.

Time Frame:

Perihelion:

• Start: April 4, 16:00 CEST
  • End: April 11, 22:59 CEST

SPAAG:

• Start: April 8, 16:00 CEST
  • End: April 11, 22:59 CEST

Objectives:

You can choose between these two objectives:

• Win 22 Random Battle or Global Operations matches within the allotted time frame either using any of the following Perihelion vehicles: T-90MS, BMPT Mod.2017, T-90A, T-72B3, T-72B

Or:

• Win 30 matches in any mode within the allotted time frame either using any of the Self-Propelled Anti-Aircraft Gun vehicles listed below

Special Rules

Like the previous one, this mission consists of two alternative goals. You can complete it either in a heavy Perihelion vehicle (T-90MS, BMPT Mod.2017, T-90A, T-72B3 or T-72B) and you have the full duration at your disposal, or in a SPAAG vehicle of your choice (listed below), but you only have the weekend.

Each category can only be completed once. Therefore, to get the Gold reward, you have to complete both categories once (completing one category twice won’t do).

List of SPAAG Vehicles (Click to Open)

• 2S38 Derivatsiya
  • Abrams AGDS
  • AMX-13 DCA
  • B1 Draco
  • M48 GAU-8
  • Stryker ADATS
  • T249 Vigilante
  • XM247 Sergeant York
  • ZSU-23-4 Shilka

Rewards:

• 3 Platinum Loot Crates
  • Norah Ferguson player avatar (or 330 Gold)

Spoiler

Yeah, sure… pinky promise!

You can complete it either in a heavy Perihelion vehicle (T-90MS, BMPT Mod.2017, T-90A, T-72B3 or T-72B)

T-80U, T-90, BMPT-72 are no longer Perihelion vehicles? Have they lost some pounds since the last mission and are no longer “heavy”?:classic_ninja:

Edited by Zafir (see edit history)

New Mission ("Spoils of War") is up

Time Frame:

• Start: April 13, 16:00 CEST
  • End: April 19, 22:59 CEST

Objectives:

There are five alternative objectives to this mission.

• Objective 1: Win 30 matches in any mode using the T-72B MBT
  • Objective 2: Win 15 matches in the Random Battles (PvP) mode using the T-90MS MBT
  • Objective 3: Win 20 matches in the Global Operations (PvP) mode using a SPAAG vehicle (list below)
  • Objective 4: Win 20 matches in the Random Battle or Global Operations (PvP) modes using a scout AFV (list below)
  • Objective 5: Win 30 matches in any mode using the T-90A MBT, T-72B3 MBT or the BMPT Mod.2017 TD

Rewards:

Single objective rewards:

• Objective 1: 1 Platinum Loot Crate (first completion), 15 Vanguard Camo 1 blueprints (second completion), 15 Vanguard Camo 1 blueprints (third completion)
  • Objective 2: 1 Platinum Loot Crate (first completion), 15 Vanguard Camo 2 blueprints (second completion), 15 Vanguard Camo 2 blueprints (third completion)
  • Objective 3: 1 Platinum Loot Crate (first completion), 15 Vanguard Camo 3 blueprints (second completion), 15 Vanguard Camo 3 blueprints (third completion)
  • Objective 4: 1 Platinum Loot Crate (first completion), 15 Vanguard Camo 4 blueprints (second completion), 15 Vanguard Camo 4 blueprints (third completion)
  • Objective 5: 1 Platinum Loot Crate (first completion), 15 Vanguard Camo 5 blueprints (second completion), 15 Vanguard Camo 5 blueprints (third completion)

Mission rewards:

• Complete 3 different objectives at least once to receive the Black Mamba skin for the BMPT Mod.2017 Tank Destroyer (or 500 Gold if you have it already, only counts for previous owners as this objective cannot be completed twice)
  • Top 3 players by battles played (all objectives combined) will receive the BMPT Mod.2017 Tank Destroyer (or 9000 Gold if they have it already)

Since it is not provided in the post, does anybody have an idea what specific camo pattern (as in pictures) corresponds to Vanguard Camo 1 through 5?

Fount it !

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Zafir (see edit history)

Ugh, this mission is absolutely horrible. I'm not doing it, the rewards aren't even worth the effort.

In fact, I recommend everybody to simply boycott this mission to show this mission design went too far off the retarded end.

Also note that you do not get the complete camo, oh no. You get PARTS for the camo which you have to assemble before you can use the camo. So even less reason to bother with this mission.

OwD1Q3d.png

Edited by Haswell (see edit history)

Spoiler

Story updates and new secrets! https://aw.my.games/en/news/general/perihelion-story-update-1

Spoiler

And now, the continuation:

Halfway down the hill, the anxiety suddenly fell off me. I could not explain it but I suppose it had something to do with actually seeing the enemy take form. No longer was I experiencing any dread like when we had heard that terrible voice on the radio and judging from the determined postures and quiet nods from the crew of the Mamba, they felt the same way, as if an evil spell was suddenly lifted.

mis1

I shifted in my seat, eagerly scanning the optics screens for my first target. Several enemy vehicles broke off the main assault and started making their way towards us, but their behavior was somewhat strange. Not that I am much of an expert in armored tactics but I’ve never seen armor driven like that with the vehicles making frequent stops without firing and driving seemingly directionless, their weapon systems aiming towards us but rarely firing off a shot, like drones with their controlling signal disrupted.

It simply made no sense for the U.S. Army base to have been defeated by such opponents, but here we were. And what was worse, I couldn’t see the enemy infantry anywhere anymore, as if they had vanished into thin air. A half-loaded truck was all that was left from the scene I witnessed mere minutes ago. Not for the first time felt the entire operation dream-like, a feverish nightmare I had to wake from any minute. But the ringing sounds of bullet impacts on my metal steed’s armor were all too real, I reminded myself, as I shifted my focus once again to the targeting display.

Of the battle itself, not much can be said beyond the fact that we held our own. The fate of the enemy was sealed by the gradual arrival of other Perihelion forces from the camp and less than thirty minutes after the initial encounter, all that remained of the once numerous hostile force was a pile of smoldering wreckage.

That’s when things got really weird again.

I was just putting myself together after the fight, leaning against the Mamba and wishing I had picked up smoking because now it would be the perfect time to light a cig while looking badass. No such luck, I thought. I’d have to do with some answers, starting with the identity of our recently deceased friends. Espinoza was out now as well, arms folded tight and looking around as if unsure what to do.

“Yo!” I waved at her.

She suddenly grew stiff and looked really uncomfortable but our eyes met after a split second. Clearly she wasn’t looking forward to talking to me again and I realized that instant she knew more of the situation than she was letting on.

Espinoza seemed quite content just standing there looking awkward – fine, I have to make the first step because by now, I was just dying to find out what was the last hour all about.

Casually strolling towards her, I leaned once again against the cold steel of her Nightsinger, not looking at her but at the sky above, the desire to get to the bottom of the riddle fighting basic human decency of leaving the clearly distraught woman alone. Needless to say, the curiosity won.

Starting a discussion with a lady with a statement spiced by a hint of accusation was hardly gentlemanly, but I didn’t really think of myself that way anyway. I am more a lovable rogue type. Yeah, right, who am I kidding – I’m about as lovable as plague.

“So. You know what’s happening, don’t you.”

No reaction apart from a barely perceptible sideways glance. I sighed.

“Look, you need to tell me what’s going on. People got hurt here, our people,” I pointed towards a burning Jaguar knocked out seconds after its arrival, its shell-shocked, soot-covered crew sitting next to it while tending to some minor burns.

“I mean,” I continued, “you know this makes no sense, right? These... whoever it was,” I waved roughly in the direction of the nearest wreck, “they trashed the whole base looking for... whatever. But we take care of them in minutes?”

I shook my head, once again lifting my eyes up, towards the stars.

“Either we’re the best goddamn outfit on the planet, or the Army REALLY let itself go. And given how half of our own guys are ex-U.S. military, I don’t think that’s the case.”

She pursed her lips, opened her mouth as if she was going to say something... and then closed it again, shaking her head as well, leading to yet another pause before she finally decided what to say.

“Sam... you’re a nice guy. I like you. I really do. That’s why I am telling you...”

She finally looked me in the eyes with previously unseen intensity to underline the impact of her words. She was practically begging.

“...walk away from this. Get another job. Tell Murdoch to go fuck himself.”

Bullshit. I wasn’t going to let this go and the red, ugly, bitter furnace of anger swelled in my chest. I suddenly wanted to rage, to shout at her for even suggesting anything like that but the impulse thankfully passed as quickly as it came with logic taking over again. I wasn’t about to ruin my chances of having a guide through this rabbit hole slash acid trip by acting as a petulant child. Besides, whoever was to blame for this mess, it clearly wasn’t her.

“No. No way am I walking out without any answers. We haven’t known each other for long but... I think you know me well enough for that already.”

Now the look in her eyes was pure sadness. Not the teary kind, the deep, black kind that no amount of drink would cure.

“I know... I know.”

She shook her head and took a deep breath before looking back at me.

“That wreck nearby,” she pointed towards a large boxy vehicle with half of its suspension torn off by an explosion. I’ve never seen such a design in my life, not even at the earlier demonstration.

“It doesn’t look burned and one of the hatches is open. Check inside. And... don’t worry. I’ll wait here.”

I hesitated for a moment. I wasn’t exactly keen on going through some dead guys’s belongings, but she waved me off.

“Go... go!”

Listening to her seemed liked the best course of action and I slowly made my way towards the hulk. One of the hatches on top was indeed open so I carefully climbed one side scored by impact holes from some autocannon rounds and, after checking for unpleasant surprises, carefully wormed my way inside.

When I – dumbfounded as I was – returned, she was still there as she had promised, waiting for me with a canteen of water in her hand, which she offered without saying a single word. I took a big gulp.

“So...”

“So?”

“There’s nobody inside. The controls are... strange. Some weird language I can’t decipher. Doesn’t look Asian though... I don’t know,” I threw my hands up in despair.

She nodded before looking around.

“A few of the troops just reported in. All of them are empty. No bodies. No dead infantry either. Everything’s just... empty.”

I frowned.

“You knew I’d find nothing? Why?”

mis2sto4

Her expression didn’t change, not one bit.

“I didn’t know you’d find nothing at all. Just...” she bit her lower lip, “something weird. I don’t know either.”

She looked so lost, massaging the temples with the thumb and middle finger of her right hand.

But the mystery of missing bodies had to wait. By now, the Army survivors began to emerge from their hideouts and they looked none too happy to see us. I saw James Twocrows arguing with some officer before joining us with a worried look on his face. The reason was pretty obvious.

“They think we were involved in this, right?”

Twocrows sighed.

“Yes, of course they blame us. They suffered a lot of casualties, nearly all of them fatal. The enemy...” he paused, “left no survivors. Highly unusual.”

He was right, of course. In all wars, the wounded far outweigh the dead, but this wasn’t the case. The enemy clearly wasn’t interested in witnesses. Many would still hide in the buildings and bunkers around the base though, there would be at least some local surveillance footage... I shuddered to think what the enemy would have done had we not interfered with their plans.

“And seeing we’re the only ones walking and talking...”

Espinoza gave me another long, appraising look as if deciding how much on board I was and, more importantly, how much she could trust me. I wasn’t sure about my odds but Lady Luck definitely was on my side tonight.

“Jim. Sam. That truck – get a few men and,” she pointed towards the transport the enemy was trying to capture before our ever so rude interruption, “move the boxes they were after to our camp. Whatever was causing the jamming is gone now. The landlines are probably still fucked but I’ll try to raise Ferguson or even Murdoch directly through the satellite link. Post some sentries around the stash, nobody, and I mean NOBODY is to touch it without my presence. Not even you, Sam, got it?”

I kept nodding without even realizing it at first. This was a situation where I felt comfortable with her in charge as I still had no idea what was going on, but if getting my hands dirty brought me closer to finding out, so be it. Besides, good old manual labor is the best cure for aching mind, as Ms. Pembroke, the shrew that ran the last foster home I’d been in, used to say. Only now, years later, could I appreciate how right she was.

The sunrise caught us all packing. It’s not easy to break a camp but try tearing it down without leaving half of the shit behind.

Nobody slept anymore that night. We had several wounded – mercifully, none of them grievously – and were preparing to move out. The critical stuff first, then everything else. Everyone moved with the sense of urgency normally reserved for the direst of catastrophes or the darkest of fears.

The area was now positively swarming with U.S. armed forces units with seemingly endless columns of armor and infantry passing south of our camp. All of them gave us dirty looks but thankfully no more than that. From what Espinoza said, she managed to raise Murdoch pretty fast following the incident and he immediately got to work, using his military contacts to solve the situation.

The arrival of the first U.S. response units almost ended in another battle but, at the last possible moment, the standoff was concluded with the G.I.’s standing down following a call from a superior officer, which, as far as those of us who heard it could tell, involved a lot of shouting and expletives I’d rather not repeat. Uncle Sam was hurting and was looking for someone to punish. Anyone, really – preferably the guilty, but they would surely settle for us instead.

In the end, somehow (I don’t know how), cooler heads and Murdoch’s influence prevailed and we were let go, including the loot which – as it turned out – truly was the property of Perihelion.

My breakfast was interrupted by Espinoza waving at me from the still-standing comms tent (we planned on tearing it down last in case we still needed it). I sighed, bit one last time into the Chef-MRE-provided sandwich and threw the rest away, realizing I probably wouldn’t have enough time to finish it anyway.

Espinoza was with comms officer Abernathy, both tinkering with what looked like a black box made of metal and plastic with some wires attached to it. I was hardly an IT expert, which is why I decided to waited for an explanation while attempting to not look stupid. It was a challenge, especially the last part. After a few seconds, the box whirred and whizzed and a list of symbols appeared on the screen of a nearby laptop. Abernathy frowned.

“It’s a drive of some sort, for those of you who didn’t know, and it’s coded. Obviously.”

Espinoza, looking over his shoulder, sighed in response.

“Can we crack it?”

Abernathy sat up, alarmed.

“Should we though? This is Perihelion property. I doubt Miss Ferguson would approve...”

“...of us checking for potential booby traps?” Espinoza smiled innocently.

Abernathy’s expression turned sour, just like every time he felt someone took him for a fool.

“That’s bullshit and you know it.”

“Mark,” I interceded. “I appreciate your loyalty, I really do, but we almost got killed. We’d really...”

And I emphasized the word ‘really’, as in ‘there will be consequences if you don’t.’

“....really like to get some answers.”

He got the message and sighed, shaking his head and pushing the glasses to his forehead.

“I’ll see what I can do.”

A couple of minutes and several curses later, Abernathy found something.

“I’ve never seen a code like that...” Abernathy mumbled to himself. “Let me just...”

The screen of the connected laptop suddenly lit up, then turned black with strange symbols appearing all over. I should have felt worried but, for some reason, another – completely unrelated – though crossed my mind instead; if I was to make a movie about machines taking other machines over, this is how I’d have imagined the process looking like.

Blurred images and short video reels rapidly filled the screen. I managed to glimpse a few details but the sequence was too fast for a human to follow.

A young man dressed in an ancient pilot’s attire and a wizened one-eyed warrior dueling with katanas in front of a Tiger tank on a plain that had no end. An inhumanely tall Viking and a silver-skinned boy crossing a sea on a Drakkar. New York City, entombed in ice. A two-headed dragon dogfighting a Great War biplane, the rattling of Spandau machineguns almost pathetic against the beast’s mighty roar and flame – and yet, the dragon was losing. An army of the dead invading the world of the living under a skull-shaped, alien moon.

The imagery ended as abruptly as it had begun with a single image featuring a text field clearly intended for a password.

monitor

“What the hell...” whispered Abernathy. I and Espinoza looked equally dumbfounded. Were the scenes just some random computer-generated imagery hiding some true meaning? And what of the symbol?

As if in response, Abernathy shrugged.

“This is way beyond my pay grade, folks. I have never even seen such code, no way in hell we’re cracking it in the few hours we have left.”

“Hmm,” Espinoza bit her lower lip again, “it would be nice to know more before getting in touch with Murdoch.”

She turned to me.

“He promised he’d contact us as soon as he had a moment. And...” she paused, “I believe him.”

“Well,” I responded, ever more curious, “might as well try to guess the password. If we succeed, we might even get an upper hand over Murdoch. And if not, who’s to say this particular drive wasn’t destroyed in the fighting?”

Abernathy scowled and glared at me but Espinoza just nodded. Eventually, he gave up and agreed to help us. Espinoza brought us all some coffee (much to Abernathy’s displeasure –someone was AGAIN desecrating his place of worship with vile liquids!) and we finally started focusing on the task at hand.

“You have to be able to enter the password anywhere since these disks are portable, so... it’s probably a set of standard Latin alphabet letters, related to the image,” explained Abernathy.

“Furthermore, I doubt there are any numbers in there. It’s probably a single word, easy to remember and not capital-letter-sensitive. The length, however... could be anything,” he concluded.

In short, he didn’t have a clue. But, who knows, we might get lucky.

The new secret begins with the creepy computer image, which very obviously leads to a Google Form.

slR4sMB.png

https://forms.gle/ErEbEGW2A949rUkQ8

pdt72WY.png

The next steps are obviously to find the password, based on the provided clues. SS has also generously provided us with some guidelines for the answer:

• Latin alphabet letters (A-Z)
    • related to the image somehow
  • No numbers
  • One single word
  • Not case-sensitive
  • Easy to remember

This is where we are now, so far we have only been coming up with possible leads and nothing is certain yet. Unfortunately we also have no way of knowing whether we have the right answer until SS tells us, since the Google Form does not discriminate what you type in there.

To make things harder, each player will only have five attempts at the answer. Don't jump to conclusions and waste your chances. (the image below is from a dummy response)

bNztTsg.png

Spoiler

New update, new mission, more clues to the secret.

https://aw.my.games/en/about/perihelion/perihelion-update-12

https://aw.my.games/en/mission-recollections

Following the hasty evacuation from Arizona, Thorpe and Espinoza board a plane to Chicago. During the trip, Thorpe recollects all the strange and unusual vehicles he’s encountered during his career as a mercenary and their effectiveness in combat. Espinoza is unusually quiet during the flight but that’s alright – Thorpe has plenty to share.

Time Frame:

• Start: May 6, 15:00 CEST
  • End: May 11, 22:59 CEST

Objective:

• Win 30 matches in any mode using one of the “unusual” vehicles Thorpe has encountered in his travels

List of “Unusual” Vehicles (Click to Open)

• AFT-10
  • RST-V Shadow
  • Wilk XC-8
  • K-153C
  • CRAB
  • Type 99A
  • ST-1
  • VBR
  • C1 Ariete
  • Assaulter
  • Rosomak M1M
  • Warrior
  • KTO Rosomak
  • MT-LB S8
  • Taifun II
  • ZBL-08
  • Swingfire

Rewards:

• 3 Platinum Loot Crates

Additionally, 25 players (per region) with the most battles played (that count towards this mission) during this mission will receive Commander Samuel Thorpe. Samuel Thorpe was hired to train Perihelion’s troops in combat – his main skill therefore increases your Experience income.

Please note that the skills and perks of Commander Samuel Thorpe may change in the future depending on community choices in the Perihelion event.

81X7jtL.png

t0YzQqq.png

9hhcJos.png

Spoiler

This secret was....a hard one to crack and we needed all the help we could get!  

So we started with the single image:

slR4sMB.png

And the 5 lines of descriptions:  

"A young man dressed in an ancient pilot’s attire and a wizened one-eyed warrior dueling with katanas in front of a Tiger tank on a plain that had no end. An inhumanely tall Viking and a silver-skinned boy crossing a sea on a Drakkar. New York City, entombed in ice. A two-headed dragon dogfighting a Great War biplane, the rattling of Spandau machineguns almost pathetic against the beast’s mighty roar and flame – and yet, the dragon was losing. An army of the dead invading the world of the living under a skull-shaped, alien moon."

Based on this, frankly it was a dead end as it could have been anything and how the hell would you guess a single word from the above?  Well, simply you couldn't, so Haswell had to ask for more help, which SilentStalker provided:

unknown.png

So, from this we started to look into more mythical type aspects and naturally fell more into Norse mythology and and least we had a start....but as before, from the above, we couldn't really get anything concrete that would stick.  There were other hints and tips dropped in conversations, - it shouldn't be that hard with somebody who is familiar with SS' lore writing.  

It was at this stage we heard that somebody from the RU server cracked the code, so we resigned out fates to not being the first to crack it, rather we wanted to know how it was cracked and what the final result was....so we carried on, and we gave more info into the official discord to see if somebody over there could think outside the box and different to our train of thoughts as, we were told a few times that our guesses were well off and we needed to think simpler / differently.

And then finally, less than 5 hours before the deadline, a tiny sliver of hope was found....

dac6d397a2c6f60918949810b8e9a6d2.jpg

A two headed dragon, fighting a biplane...And confirmation that it was indeed the source of the image description.  1 of 5 images found.

This then lead to more Norse mythology lead us to this image which was confirmed as the Endless Plain:

1200px-Odin_und_Fenriswolf_Freyr_und_Surt.jpg

We were close, but something still wasn't there...the penny hadn't dropped, it wasn't clear what we were looking at.  Sure, we had these images, but these didn't give us the information we needed to crack that password.  With 5 minutes left, defeat was looming closer, and SS, decided that as we'd found some more of the clues, he'd give us 24 hours to submit the final answers, if we didn't crack it, then we never would.  'But that RU player already beat you too it you silly sausage' I hear you cry...turns out, yes they did put the right answer, and then submitted over 100 other incorrect answer...meaning that they didn't understand the code and were just trying to brute force the answer.  They didn't win...we still had a shot..

So, the next morning, I set to it, with the first image we found in mind, I started to look for the book it came from...It turns out, it's by a Sci-Fi writer who has made a series called 'Valhala' - a set of stories based in an alternative universe where portals and inter dimensional travel are a thing, along with the Norse worlds (Author is František Novotný) and the cover art, you guessed it, related to those 5 descriptions.  

For the next 3, maybe 4 hours I spent my time trawling reviews and write ups for the stories to see if I could find something to help us crack this code....I posted in official that I'd found the books, but was having difficulty in finding English versions of them, or anything about them that didn't need to be translated.  So SS gave me a link to a copy of the books, which I downloaded, and started to review.....I was struggling...but I kept scrolling...and then suddenly at the end of one of the books...I saw a page that was different to all the others.  It wasn't like any chapter I had seen, it looked like German documents from WW2...I skipped past it, then had to go back..why did it look so different...why would that be there...I scroll down...

unknown.png

There it is....a copy of the image I have spent the best part of a week trying to crack...It's there...right in front of me...With a key - telling me the letters stood for Norse worlds / lands.  From the top - G = Midgard, M = Muspel, H = Hel, N = Niflheim.  

We had the answer..so we submitted it, SS closed off the form...it was done...

unknown.png

But, like all things, it comes at a cost...we don't know what this will be, but it could be bad.

The prize for cracking the code - 5000 gold and Samuel Thorpe as a commander

• Upvote 4

Update 14: Mission: Consequences

Mission: Consequences

“I mean, Russian vehicles? In Arizona? Now that was just asking for trouble, wasn’t it? Maybe it wasn’t the right choice after all. Sure, it’ll require some extra training, but half of our tech’s damaged anyway from the battle. What do you think? …. Gail? You’ve barely said a word since Murdoch caught us with our pants down. C’mon, how bad can it be? It’s not like it’s the end of the world… what? What’s the matter, Gail? Why are you looking at me like that?”

• Samuel Thorpe on a plane following the Arizona mission

This is the final leg of the journey. The plane is about to land in Chicago, with Thorpe and Espinoza getting ready to once again meet David Murdoch, the owner and CEO of Perihelion. Espinoza keeps to herself, while Thorpe ponders the choices they made during his time in Arizona. Little does he know of what awaits both of them.

scr1

Time Frame:

• Start: May 17, 16:00 CEST
  • End: May 25, 22:59 CEST

Objective:

• Win at least 30 matches in any mode and any Tier 7-9 vehicle

Special Rules:

In this mission, you have the opportunity to switch Perihelion’s vehicle pool and Samuel Thorpe’s skill pool.

Simply put, we’ll compare the usage of specific Tier 7 to Tier 9 vehicles between this mission and the comparable period of the last week. Which vehicle will see the biggest increase will be declared the winner and the new Perihelion vehicle pool will be built around it. Additionally, that vehicle will become Samuel Thorpe’s personal vehicle.

For example, if the Leopard 2A6 MBT sees the biggest increase:

• Perihelion’s forces will be rebuilt around German vehicles
  • Leopard 2A6 will become Samuel Thorpe’s personal vehicle
  • The scout section and the AA section (decided during the Arizona campaign) will remain

In gameplay terms, this will affect the following items:

• Future skins for the vehicles of your choice
  • Samuel Thorpe’s skills

For example, if Samuel’s new vehicle ends up being an auto cannon IFV, his skills will change in the future to match that choice. However, this will also mean that Perihelion will end up with auto cannon (and therefore, lighter) vehicles, which might be required in future missions. Is that a good idea? The choice, as they say, is yours.

Rewards:

This mission cannot be completed twice using the basic Perihelion set of rules (for the same reward). Instead, you can receive the following rewards:

• 30 wins: 3 Platinum Loot Crates and U.S. Talon camouflage
  • 80 wins: 550 Gold, Party Hard decal, Perihelion Grey and Perihelion Black base paints (if you have those already, you will not receive any compensation – this reward is intended for players who missed out on those before)
  • 120 wins: Commander Samuel Thorpe (or 550 Gold if you have him already)

• Upvote 1