Hi guys, I'm here to try AW for a bit, hopefully for a lot!

I've played 'the other tank game' for 5-6 years and I'm pretty much done with that stuff. 

Yesterday I played a few PvP matches in tier 1, today some PvE. First impressions are very good, I like the fast gameplay. Up till now it's still figuring out the game but I think I'm doing OK already, PvE matches I was 2nd of my team on xp three times in a row. 

If you guys have any tips for a new player I would love to hear it! 

Ha! New players here? :D
Well, spam Heat in pve until about tier 6/7, then you'll start to want to switch to AP sometimes. They have different penetration mechanics and you'll need some time to figure it out.
Unlike WoT, there is no garage slot limit, and there is also an exp ownership bonus for each tank that you own, so never ever sell tanks as it will make your overall progression slower!

• Upvote 1

Hello and welcome.

Beware of the swingfires and T15. They are ATGM beasts, they like to delete most of your armor. Also Softkill APS is not very effective against bot launched ATGM's. AW is still a fun game even with the rough edges.

• Upvote 1

PvE plays very differently than PvP, mostly because the bots don't have the same aiming and firing mechanics as players.  Bots have near perfect aiming, so if they can see you and aim they will almost always hit and do damage.  However, they're kinda dumb and can often be tricked into firing while you're still behind cover or hull down.

This is particularly annoying when it comes to ATGMs, because as JintoLin said soft kill APS is not very effective against bots.  That's because the bots can react at computer speed to correct the wandering of the ATGMs, effectively completely nullifying soft kill APS.

It's best to never sit completely still while engaged.  Move your vehicle forward and backward very slightly - this causes the suspension to rock making it much more difficult for bots (or players) to aim at your weak spots.  You can also wiggle back-and-forth left-and-right for a similar effect, but it's not as effective against bots because the weakspots on vehicles tend to be wide slots that are only a pixel or two high.  Wiggling doesn't really affect aim that much, whereas rocking has a dramatic effect.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, knutliott said:

PvE plays very differently than PvP, mostly because the bots don't have the same aiming and firing mechanics as players.  Bots have near perfect aiming, so if they can see you and aim they will almost always hit and do damage.  However, they're kinda dumb and can often be tricked into firing while you're still behind cover or hull down.

This is particularly annoying when it comes to ATGMs, because as JintoLin said soft kill APS is not very effective against bots.  That's because the bots can react at computer speed to correct the wandering of the ATGMs, effectively completely nullifying soft kill APS.

It's best to never sit completely still while engaged.  Move your vehicle forward and backward very slightly - this causes the suspension to rock making it much more difficult for bots (or players) to aim at your weak spots.  You can also wiggle back-and-forth left-and-right for a similar effect, but it's not as effective against bots because the weakspots on vehicles tend to be wide slots that are only a pixel or two high.  Wiggling doesn't really affect aim that much, whereas rocking has a dramatic effect.

Thanks for explaining, not sitting still is also usefull in WoT so that's quite natural to me already. 

At the moment I've only played tier 1 tanks, which mainly seems like point-and-click gameplay, but enjoyable already. The PvE easy mode the main thing seems to be to keep up with your team to get some dmg in. Also I'm reading some helpful and interesting guides on this forum. So far I really like it here!

Hawell's experiment on F2P starting from scratch has lots of good advice - wish I had that post in hand when I started.

Don't forget to collect the daily bonuses, even if all you do is surf in the garage for a moment. They really add up and really help the economics early on.

Do try all the different vehicle classes - it definitely adds some diversity to the game play. If you are grinding the Schreiber line of Israeli stuff (recommended for the extra XP bonus for faster progression), hang on to the rental ticket for the LAV-300 and other sample rental tanks. When you unlock the progression vehicle, you can then redeem the rental ticket for gold.

The community is great and very encouraging - welcome aboard. 

DVC, 

QR

• Upvote 1