Quantum_Ranger

Rooikat - Any point of owning this?

Was shopping around in the vehicle tree recently and discovered I had unlocked the Rooikat.

Is there any point in owning this vehicle aside from tank collecting?  Paper armor, low alpha, best mobility advantage is in reverse??

It looks like a dead end ... the progression reward is 3 plat crates??? Meh.

Has anyone used one of these and actually had fun with it??

QR

Garbage vehicle, I can't even remember progression stuff anymore but no unless it goes to something else worth having, it doesn't worth it other than for the exp ownership bonus.

• Upvote 1

I remember it being quite fun in PvE back when I first unlocked it a few months after it was added, but I haven't gone back to it since then.

The main thing that the Rookiat had going for it (imo) was actually armour. The turret armour was strong enough to tank any autocannon AP it would see as well as some of the less powerful full-size AP rounds, while the upper hull was sloped enough to auto-bounce any AP round that you would reasonably expect hit by. Essentially, you could take a hull-down position and be practically immune to just about everything you would come up against in a PvE match with the exception of some of the more powerful ATGMs (I seem to recall that the armour was unexpectedly strong against HEAT despite being plain old steel). Combine this with decent view range (not outstanding, but good enough to counter-spot any of the bots that tried and failed to kill you), a half-decent gun for finishing off low-health enemies, and good mobility and you ended up with a very odd (and mildly cursed) scout/TD/MBT hybrid with a fairly unique scout-by-counterfire role in PvE.

That said, I haven't played the Rookiat in forever an day so that assessment probably isn't accurate any more. There have been a whole bunch of new vehicles added or changed (re: got penetration buffs) since then that I would be very surprised if the Rookiat was still viable as a scout-by-counterfire vehicle in PvE. Odds are that it has been power creeped to hell and back, but it might be worth trying to see if it can still do the whole scout-by-counterfire thing.

Its fun, but it lack a good 2k DPM to be useful, having such low Alpha with less then 5k DPM is just bad.

It also looks cool and handle very well for an armored car.

Edited by Crossfader (see edit history)

On 8/24/2020 at 3:27 AM, Crossfader said:

and handle very well for an armored car.

Yes it handles like a dream for a wheeled .. thing, decent front armour as well.

Good? It depends what you want it for. PvE?

I have one, played it a bit of PvE fun. A has been said, it has dismal alpha, but if you can find a good spot, you can fire the whole match without stopping, you can come top damage.

It's kind of fun.

Edited by Lenticulas (see edit history)

"Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth."

it handles well, accelerates ok, high top speed and quick reload, good armour for AFV and a good view range, but dpm is crap, takes forever to kill anything,  it's not a bad tank but it isn't anything special either, can be fun and can also be frustrating,