Sign in to follow this  
Quantum_Ranger

Ethics and etiquette of seal clubbing?

When I was just starting out in PvE, I learned a lot from the senior players who already knew the map and took the pressure off while my little T1 tank went pew pew to make nicks and scratches.

Nowadays I spend most of my time grinding MBTs in hardcore, but when the Headhunter or SemperFi contracts come up, I am tempted to tier down, grab the M113 ACAV (knowing that it's OPAF for T3), and knock it out. It's actually something of a relief from Abrams-grinding.

So how much damage am I supposed to leave behind for the T1 and T2 guys to mop up?  Should I just do spotting after 10 kills/assists or help them some more and give them a Teamwork medal?

If my infantry are having a good day early in the game with 2k damage, should I leave them behind or pack them up to move them to the next hot spot?

I hear whining in chat about folks relying on infantry and not using the main gun, then more whining about OPAF guys killing too much and starving other players for action... Just want to do the right thing. Obviously we all want the player base to grow, so trying to figure out what creates the best experience for the newer players.

I've seen this phenomenon from both sides (underpowered T1 driver, OPAF driver) and had the perseverance to stick it out (not caring about personal stats helps.) Opinions welcome.

DVC, QR

In any other game, I highly frown upon seal clubbing because unless you know who is who, you might actually make a new person quit.  There are some I used to play with that their skill level was at low tier, and that was all they could play.

In AW when people have issues even doing the basics I say its a free for all only if you can pull it off, but you are not allowed to get mad, upset, or anything else when you get your butt handed to you.

"If you were not birthed with claws or fangs, store bought will do just fine."

I try not to "play hard" when I play lower tiers, though that changes when AW gives me a mission to complete and I have no choice.  Seems like one of the favorites during Enigma's Legacy was to tell me to get 400,000 damage using a Tier 3-6 AFV.  Well... that's gonna be my Sgt York and people are going to hate me.  Thanks AW!

But generally if I'm playing lower tiers, I play casually and actively try to support the other players.  I want them to enjoy the game, learn, and get better.

6 hours ago, Katsumoto said:

There are some I used to play with that their skill level was at low tier, and that was all they could play.

Yep, that was me before I started reading ArmoredLabs!  I'm still mostly in the middle of the pack. And yes, there were days early on when I was tempted to quit, when the grind and the economics were looking rather unfavorable.

6 hours ago, Katsumoto said:

In AW when people have issues even doing the basics I say its a free for all only if you can pull it off, but you are not allowed to get mad, upset, or anything else when you get your butt handed to you.

Probably applies more to PvP than PvE... yes, a healthy sense of humilty is useful in this game.  The best I can do is silently shake my head when noob arty repeatedly dumps smoke on the team, preventing anyone from spotting squat 10 meters in front of us.

4 hours ago, knutliott said:

I try not to "play hard" when I play lower tiers, though that changes when AW gives me a mission to complete and I have no choice.  ....  Thanks AW!

But generally if I'm playing lower tiers, I play casually and actively try to support the other players.  I want them to enjoy the game, learn, and get better.

Yes, that's the challenge when the mission leaves few alternatives... no reason to go clubbing without a contract impasse.

Definitely want players to enjoy the game and get better -- just trying to figure out the best techniques to help them.

DVC, QR

On 8/17/2020 at 5:58 PM, Quantum_Ranger said:

So how much damage am I supposed to leave behind for the T1 and T2 guys to mop up?  Should I just do spotting after 10 kills/assists or help them some more and give them a Teamwork medal?

Unless someone explicitly asks for a favour like "give me first 3 kills", the default setting is everyone takes as much as he/she can to get a victory and his own best scope. This is how the game works in random for years.

Queue times on lowest PvE tiers are awful and no one seems to queue to hardest difficulty. Which begs the question - how they even think to get more new players into the game?  Maybe add bots to pve teams of really new players which play in easy mode?

11 hours ago, dfnce said:

Unless someone explicitly asks for a favour like "give me first 3 kills", the default setting is everyone takes as much as he/she can to get a victory and his own best scope. This is how the game works in random for years.

Queue times on lowest PvE tiers are awful and no one seems to queue to hardest difficulty. Which begs the question - how they even think to get more new players into the game?  Maybe add bots to pve teams of really new players which play in easy mode?

This ^^
And if he asks NICELY, no guarantees either. If I'm on a mission myself, everyone else can burn in hell most of the times.
Sad but true since most people would do the same to you anyways. There are exceptions, sure, but you get the point of what I'm trying to say :(

Ugh... just had a repeatable to farm 25,000 experience in a Tier 3-6 AFV, so out came the York.  I could only club so many seals before stopping each day, though... I just found it so distasteful to have to ruin other people's games to complete my own mission.  Luckily I completed a couple of Challenges and that put me over the top for the 200 missions completed that I needed to get the Enigma Unit skin for the Hunter.  Now that I have that I really have no further reason to complete missions or challenges, so I can let that nasty repeatable just sit there and rot.

All coins get me at this point are more Hunter crates, and those are really only a way to transfer coins (at a very poor transfer rate) to the next Battle Path, so not a real high priority.