Sign in to follow this  
Quantum_Ranger

Using rental AT10 to unlock NM142

So I'm browsing my inventory looking for a use for the 1-day rental tanks left over from the anniversary event. I have three 1-day AT10 rentals, among many others.

I was thinking about using them to finish unlocking the NM142 (farm 800k PVE damage with ATGM in T7+ TD). I'm already about 70% of the way there from previous rental TDs, so I'm looking at farming ~250k more ATGM damage somehow. I'm hoping that using a T10 will be a little less irksome if damage scales with tier.

Any advice as to how to play the AT-10?   It sounds like I need to stay back since it's a missile boat, but then I hear the ATGMs are slow with a long time-of-flight, which makes fighting from a distance more challenging. Also, what's the best way to beat APS at this level?

And of course the result of this grind is another grind - NM142 to Sprut etc.  Any suggestions as to what to buff on the NM142?

Is unlocking and upgrading Rashid worth it for all this ATGM spam, or will Sabrina do?

Thanks in advance for advice.

DVC, QR

I assume you mean the Chinese AFT-10?

If you have played the M113 Hellfire, it's pretty similar.  They both have devastatingly powerful offense, and weak to non-existent defense.

You'll be in it for the damage, so don't try to get kills.  Trying to get kills is how you get them sniped out from under you (because the missiles are slow).  Fire at targets you probably can't kill, but from which you'll get full damage from hitting.  Occasionally, someone will also fire at your target at roughly the same time and you'll get a kill by accident.

TDs, LTs, and AFVs are your targets.  MBTs have too many defenses to reliably pen, so unless you have a safe side or rear shot there's not much point in shooting them.

250k damage won't take you more than 20 missions, and will probably take less.  It could take you as few as 10 missions - that's only 25k damage per mission.  These missile boats do amazing damage if that's what you're concentrating on doing and aren't worrying about getting kills.

Hit 'c' to reload often.  Don't wait until your magazine is empty, because that'll just mean that you're sitting around doing nothing for a long time.  Emptying your magazine is a good way to miss an entire wave of enemies while you're reloading.

I don't use Rashid even though I have him.  I find that I prefer the same commanders for missile boats as I do for any other TD.  Usually Erin or Juan Carlos depending on whether or not the vehicle in question has enough base VR to make Juan Carlos useful.  If not, then use Erin and just stay hidden in back and bomb away.

Last tip: learn to lead moving targets.  Lead the target and guide the missile in from the target's front.  Don't rely on the missile's agility to track and keep up with the target's movement, as missiles often can't track well enough to hit a moving AFV or LT. 

I wouldn't waste rentals. If you play it, spare ammo. Avoid shooting even in direction of Russian MBT, their soft kill is off charts in 0.33. 

On 10/20/2020 at 5:10 PM, knutliott said:

You'll be in it for the damage, so don't try to get kills.  Trying to get kills is how you get them sniped out from under you (because the missiles are slow).  Fire at targets you probably can't kill, but from which you'll get full damage from hitting.  Occasionally, someone will also fire at your target at roughly the same time and you'll get a kill by accident.

TDs, LTs, and AFVs are your targets.  MBTs have too many defenses to reliably pen, so unless you have a safe side or rear shot there's not much point in shooting them.

250k damage won't take you more than 20 missions, and will probably take less.  It could take you as few as 10 missions - that's only 25k damage per mission.  These missile boats do amazing damage if that's what you're concentrating on doing and aren't worrying about getting kills.

Hit 'c' to reload often.  Don't wait until your magazine is empty, because that'll just mean that you're sitting around doing nothing for a long time.  Emptying your magazine is a good way to miss an entire wave of enemies while you're reloading.

Last tip: learn to lead moving targets.  Lead the target and guide the missile in from the target's front.  Don't rely on the missile's agility to track and keep up with the target's movement, as missiles often can't track well enough to hit a moving AFV or LT. 

Thanks for the tips - mission accomplished! Looks like a long grind through the Sprut, but leads to Tier 10 eventually.

QR

• Upvote 1

OK, after 6 months, finally finished the NM142, starting from stock and not using any free XP. Wow, it was painful, but hopefully this will help others who are facing the same grind:

I don't have Erin or Taco yet so I had to use Rashid... experimenting with Sabrina and Ioannis didn't seem to make much difference. Retrofits added early on included improved breech V2 and tele lenses. Leading targets and maximizing damage are key. Pick a target after you reload - your teammates will probably have destroyed several targets while you recycle.

At 10% through the grind, I kept hoping adding the upgrades would make it better. Playing it pretty casually, focusing on the X2 first-win bonus, but really creeping along slowly.

At 20% through the grind, I managed to add the top-down ATGMs. Really disappointing performance (only ~400 damage and takes forever to switch ammo types) so it's better to stick with the usual ATGMs at ~900 damage each.  On the other hand, what else are you going to spend the XP on, really??

At 30% through the grind, I unlocked the uprated engine as the last useful upgrade. There really aren't very many upgrades at all. Despair set in as I realized the performance wasn't going to get much better.

At 50% through the grind, I took the bull by the horns. Finished the Burlak, so decided to take a break from contract missions and just grind the NM142 full time. Not the best or most efficient strategy compared to a daily rotation, but I just wanted to finish it and move on. Added some XP insignia and crew insignia to accelerate the grind (when else would I use the silver ones, anyway??)  I decide that the rebuild kit is now standard equipment, credit yield is not important if I can just end the torture.

At 70% through the grind, I finally get the crew to level 5.  Actually, it's not a bad tank now... I can pretty much count on 10k-15k damage per match.  I think the mind-numbing thing about it is that you spend so much time waiting for the reload, then shoot the pair of slow ATGMs, then run and hide to load again. Occasionally scream as the target shifts a few degrees while the ATGM is in flight, causing only 79 splash damage instead of 900.  As a T7 I think it would be actually OK if it performed like this out of the box, instead of at the end. I finally open the 3 plat crates and one of them is 50k free XP. So tempting, but I am determined to save it for when Faraday really gets expensive. 

I start to think, well, I could burn my free XP and end this now, or keep going... Each match, I think to myself, well, I saved me another 2.5k free XP... that's half the weekly XP bonus, right?? Grrr. Can't quit now. I spend precious minutes just looking at the tech tree, convincing myself that I'm really saving myself a T9 grind after the Sprut.... 

At 80% through the grind, we have the X5 first-win bonus. OK, now finishing it looks much easier if can just I stick with it.  I notice that the Sprut will be my 5th T8, so there's 10M credits from the Dealer Access achievement to sweeten the prize for finishing. So it would be like getting the Sprut for free plus getting ~2M credits. I feel less bad about using rebuild kits.

At 90% through the grind, I have a few matches where MM has another NM142 on the team. I really sympathize with the other driver, knowing he's probably not as far into the grind and has more of this ahead of him. I think I will always have a soft spot for other players driving NM142s, enduring the agony.

Memorial day 2021 - X5 first win bonus, plus insignia, 15k XP, done at last!!  The Sprut is so refreshing, even though it's a glass cannon. Such a pleasure to destroy a secondary with MG, instead of having to ram it.  I feel human again!!  Maybe I can meet Hana Buric for a cup of coffee now.... Victory!

DVC,

QR

Nice

I only have experience in grinding that thing in PVP and I really hated it and in the end just used reputation to skip. I'd take the C13 TUA anytime over that thing. TUA is a lot better despite being a tier lower.

As for AFT-10 since .33 pretty much useless unfortunately. First shot ends up in APS, followed by shitty as hell salvo reload. This thing was shredding pre .33 but mainly because of the low salvo reload and good pen.

Spoiler

fdassdaas.jpg.c709df3e98adc5265f232fe9458a3043.jpg