Sign in to follow this  
Quantum_Ranger

Tier 9 tank shopping - in the shadow of the rebalance

I've been grinding away at T7 M1A1, and am 85% of the way there. Started looking closely at the T8 M1A2, and noticed that the upgrades include a T9 unlock token  =:-O

So now I have several choices - grind out T8 M1A2, or unlock T8 M1A2 and move on to unlock T9 directly. After I research some retrofits, I could then install them on the T9 instead of the T8, and get more bang for the buck. Either way, I'm shopping around for a first T9. I liked the rental BMPT.Mod.2000 and the rental Hunter, so I'm tempted to look at a higher-DPM vehicle to give some variety to the MBTs I already have. Troop compartment is a plus. Hearing @Baron_Georg 's experience with the T9 Leo makes me think I want something else, after T5 Starshi*, T6 M1, T7 M1A1, and soon T8 M1A2.

A. So (ignoring the rebalance for a moment), if you were to recommend a first T9 for a new(er) player to chew on (or at least fantasize about), what would it be, given the scenario above?

B. Given the scope of the re-balance (extending to a re-definition of vehicle classes), I am tempted to grind the M1A2 (which theoretically will be buffed a little), and see how the T9 classes shake out, rather than have a shiny T9 for a month that turns into something very different than what I bought. 

C. What are the chances that the T9 unlock token upgrade will disappear from the T8 M1A2 during the update to 0.33?  If it's a real risk, I would want to exercise it before it's taken away.

Thanks for your thoughts! 

DVC, QR

1 hour ago, Quantum_Ranger said:

So now I have several choices - grind out T8 M1A2, or unlock T8 M1A2 and move on to unlock T9 directly.

Unfortunately, unlock tokens are only available for use after its respective vehicle is renowned (100%), so a full [painful] grind of the M1A2 is required before you can unlock a tier 9.

Hearing @Baron_Georg 's experience with the T9 Leo makes me think I want something else, after T5 Starshi*, T6 M1, T7 M1A1, and soon T8 M1A2.

Totally understandable, after all, the current Abrams line is dreadfully underwhelming.

Since the M1A2 falls under Wolfli's tree, you'll have several options:

• M1A2C
    • Quite terrible, akin to the rest of the Abrams (aside from the XM1A3). Poor DPM, tragic armor, but it's one of the very few tier 9s with a gas turbine (if that's worth anything to you).
  • Leopard 2A6
    • Despite the mediocre DPM, it's a rather interesting tier 9 MBT. Armor is quite decent actually, especially against HEAT (if you are able to hide/shield the weakspot under the gun). Mobility is above average as well. However, the 2A6's L/55 (and ammunition) is where this vehicle shines. The aforementioned reload is slow, but the penetration and gun handling is superb (among MBTs).
  • Centauro 120
    • A gun TD with traditional gun TD benefits (gun handling, DPM) and drawbacks (paper armor, wheels). The Cent 120 is a DPM monster, armed with a cannon with a 6 round ready rack, resulting in exceptional burst damage capabilities. Gun handling is sublime and camo is quite decent as well. Note however that the gun TD playstyle is a paramount shift from that of MBTs.
  • B1 Draco
    • Essentially an unmanned 76mm DRACO AA turret on a Centauro hull. Again, little in the way of armor, but it's actually possible to occasionally hull-down with the Draco, since its uncrewed turret takes reduced damage. Its unique armament features insane DPM values, but far less penetration compared to 120mm or even 105mm cannons; so accurate targeting of weakspots is necessary to deal consistent damage. Incredibly fun to play IMO.
  • CRAB
    • A lightly-armored "scout" AFV with a roof-mounted ATGM and autocannon module. Not particularly easy to play (like all other scout AFVs), especially in PvE (where MBTs reign supreme). Exceptional mobility and camo aren't major advantages in PvE. Considering you are rather new to AW, I would recommend steering clear of it.  

Aside from these Wolfli vehicles, the M1A2 also leads to a vehicle in the Faraday tree (without requiring the token):

• TTB
    • As a vehicle, it's a decent MBT (albeit more suitable for PvP modes IMO); but as a grind, it's awful. Equipped with an unmanned turret, hydro suspension, and a 6 round ready rack cannon, the TTB is far more survivable than its "normal" Abrams counterparts. Unfortunately, many of its more important upgrades are locked behind overprogression. It too features a gas turbine engine option. 
2 hours ago, Quantum_Ranger said:

A. So (ignoring the rebalance for a moment), if you were to recommend a first T9 for a new(er) player to chew on (or at least fantasize about), what would it be, given the scenario above?

IMO, the Leo should be the best [Wolfli] option going forward (at least until the rebalance). Armor is quite good and the gun performance is remarkably consistent.

2 hours ago, Quantum_Ranger said:

B. Given the scope of the re-balance (extending to a re-definition of vehicle classes), I am tempted to grind the M1A2 (which theoretically will be buffed a little), and see how the T9 classes shake out, rather than have a shiny T9 for a month that turns into something very different than what I bought. 

I would recommend waiting (as you've described). No one knows how the rebalance will pan out, so it would be far safer to wait and see for yourself.

There will be a PTS available prior to the official release of 0.33. It will likely be buggy, but it will give you a good chance to experience the changes before the update is pushed to live.

C. What are the chances that the T9 unlock token upgrade will disappear from the T8 M1A2 during the update to 0.33?  If it's a real risk, I would want to exercise it before it's taken away.

Nigh impossible. It's been mentioned that the three "legacy" dealer trees (Wolfli, Shishkin, and Feng) will see minimal (if any) future change(s) in vehicles and/or organization. 

Since you are already in the Wolfli branch, my choices would be:

• The Leopard 2A6:
    • It is one of those tanks that is misunderstood.
    • If you look at the raw DPM value, yeah it sucks.  If you look at the gun handling and do an actual comparison across all the other tier 9's, it is the best in class.  For that "lack" of DPM, it makes up for in shot consistency which puts it better than what the stats say.
    • The armor is spooky good and is one of the most difficult tanks to kill if you have a good hull down position and relies on position more than any of the other tank series  Right now the only things that can kill it through the turret when hull down are the MGM's and anything with PELE depending on the angle you hit it at.
    • It can move and move well.
    • Highly recommended.  However, I would recommend going back through that part of the branch.  The Leopard 2 and 2A5 is amazingly fun at tier 7 and 8 respectively.  Leave the 2A4 Evo alone unless you want to pull your hair out.
  • The Centauro 120:
    • Amazing TD and is one of the old timers in the game.
    • It use to be at tier 8 and was OP as f*** back then.  it got tweaked a very long time ago and moved up to 9 and there is a ton of information out there on it.
    • Highly recommended
  • The Draco:
    • The Draco is one of the old timers as well and has been pretty much the same as it always has been, minus a tweak here and there.
    • Recommended but its a steep learning curve how to get the gun to work in your favor.
  • The M1A2C:
    • Never have been a fan of the M1 series.  All I know of it is frustration.
    • Recommended for a new person?   Only if you have the patience to work with and through it.

"If you were not birthed with claws or fangs, store bought will do just fine."

I'd say just continue the line you're already on, as in you're getting the unlock off of the t8 Abrams, get the t9 Abrams and then t10 Abrams. You're already used to the playing style of them, why change it up?

Also pointing out that there's no reason not to get every progression tank in the game unless you stop playing before that happens.

I would start a new line if I were you and play multiple tanks every day, instead of just progressing with only one line, as it gets on nerves rather quickly and you'll find yourself pushing it, instead of enjoying it.

The real beast is XM1A3 and it takes time to get there from M1A1, so enjoy grinding instead of going for one thing only as it keeps you interested with different tiers 

• Upvote 1

Smud's on point with that one, grinding just one line over and over gets really darn boring pretty quick.  I personally liked having three or four lines I was progressing at a time, especially since that meant I could catch more 2x games a day for progression.  

The rebalance is really kind of up in the air, we've got no idea what's going to end up happening, so as far as tech tree stuff, I'd be tempted to just carry on as though nothing was gonna happen at all.  They might end up better, or worse, but we just don't know enough to really make a good call yet.  

9 hours ago, smudlicko said:

I would start a new line if I were you and play multiple tanks every day,

Yep, am working on Sheridan and LAV-600 as part of the grind to get reload and vision retros... definitely a relief after grinding Abrams.

The next line I'd develop is probably the Schreiber MBTs, as I have both the T4 Megach and the T4 D'alet. 

Which is the better path to the Merkava 3.Baz?    Merk1-Merk2C-Merk3   or   Magach 6B-Maga7C-Merk3?

Thanks for the opinions, DVC, QR

6 minutes ago, Komitadjie said:

I liked the magachs, myself, they're quite powerful for tier.

Seconded.  Merkavas don't really get good until the Merk 3.Baz, so take the Magach line to get there.

The Merkavas that rear mounted turret is great for reverse slope hull down tactics, but trying any frontal hull down shots with force you to crest ridges more exposing the lower plate. 

On 8/2/2020 at 10:48 PM, Quantum_Ranger said:

Which is the better path to the Merkava 3.Baz?    Merk1-Merk2C-Merk3   or   Magach 6B-Maga7C-Merk3?

I haven't played the Magach's myself, so I can't really provide a educated opinion regarding this split; however, sticking with the Merk line would likely resulted in a smoother/effortless transition to the Baz (and succeeding Merk variants).

Some common traits between them:

• Front-mounted engine
  • Relatively large HP pool(s)
  • Relatively poor gun depression
  • Decent gun handling/performance
    • Ready rack
  • Good protection levels against HEAT

OK, revival of a zombie thread, but now that we are post-rebalance.... the MBTs look less capable and I'm being seduced by the Centauro 120.  I am actually enjoying the LAV-600 (which was at the bottom of my list in 0.32) now that it's driveable. I might try the T7 Centauro next...

Any feedback on the Centauro 120 in 0.33?  Is it still a DPM monster after the ammo changes?

Thanks,

QR

3 hours ago, Quantum_Ranger said:

OK, revival of a zombie thread, but now that we are post-rebalance.... the MBTs look less capable and I'm being seduced by the Centauro 120.  I am actually enjoying the LAV-600 (which was at the bottom of my list in 0.32) now that it's driveable. I might try the T7 Centauro next...

Any feedback on the Centauro 120 in 0.33?  Is it still a DPM monster after the ammo changes?

Thanks,

QR

"the MBTs look less capable", no, not really.

Cent 120. Speaking of PvE, actually it wasn't that DPM monster like T40 or Termi 2. I played one and first time in new 0.33 with it and it feels fine. I used Erin commander and old habit AP, probably one could do better with some DPM commander and HEAT. Still it is map and team dependant vehicle, and once it spotted by bots, they obsessively want nothing else but destroy him. 

image.png.6d80b3254dae31e92e112b842f57811f.png

Centauro 120 hasn't been a DPM monster since moving to Tier 9, but it's decent.  I'd probably like it a lot more if the OPAF vehicles weren't around because in an actually balanced environment it's probably pretty good, but we don't have that even with 0.33 so it can feel pretty meh.

Like dfnce said, don't get spotted.  Definitely a sniping/support vehicle in my opinion.

Haven't tried it with 0.33 HEAT - like dfnce, I have mine habitually loaded with AP and didn't think to swap it out.  I'll have to give it a try, but I assume it will be as good as everything else with HEAT these days.

Thanks to everyone here - finally finished T8 M1A2 Abrams grind after 322 missions.

I must say, after the 0.33 rebalance and retrofits for V2 breech and vision the M1A2 is a pretty reliable machine. It's finally capable of doing things that I want it to do (contract kills/damage/fires), and it even earns a blue star every now and then.

With 0.34 on the horizon, I might hold off on the T9 purchase while I round out the Israeli line. Looking at the stock stats for the T9 MBTs is depressing because it looks like a big step backwards before I go forwards.

Right now Abrams is looking better than Leo, but I suppose that could change again depending on the whims of the devs.

DVC, 

QR