Quantum_Ranger

Assorted uses for 7.62 mm machine guns

OK, so the 7.62 mm  machine guns are useful for killing infantry and destroying soft targets (secondaries, Watchdog helis, etc.).

I see players using their 7.62 to do recon-by-fire... is this a way to overcome limited view range, or just a tactic to get the static bots to move/return fire and lose their camo?  If so, do you actually need to hit the bot with a blindshot or just get close? What's the optimum effective range for recon-by-fire?

I also sometimes see folks pin a bot by 7.62 while reloading the main gun. Under what general conditions does this work? 

If this post is OT, just move it to the right place.

Cheers, DVC, QR

Hi.

Seems like you got the wrong turn :happyseal: This is only a test-group. For questions related to the game itsself you're better off using the main forum: https://armoredlabs.net/index.php?/forum/11-general-metagame-discussion/ just repost it there so everyone can see this.

As for the question: The described tactics do not really make sense to me honestly. Never really saw such behavior and neither think it benefits you as a player in any way.

Spoiler

fdassdaas.jpg.c709df3e98adc5265f232fe9458a3043.jpg

I suppose in glops you could use this if someone has blown smoke and is probably still sitting there. You could try slowly spraying the area, from right to left with machine gun fire, and when your own 'I'm spotted' indicator appears, you could try a shot at that area, with the main gun. Assuming you were waiting for a long reload or something

"Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth."

In PvE, I mostly use it to clear walls and other obstacles that block line of sight. Otherwise your slow main gun may get lolblocked by some random piece of debris with a misaligned hitbox.

In PvP, it can hit some very light vehicles for additional damage while your cannon is reloading (mostly the 4-wheelers like the Kornet), destroy UAVs, pillboxes and helicopters, and of course infantry.

It can also interrupt base capture in a pinch. Not very reliable because of the very low penetration values, but you may get lucky. A trick is to slowly sweep the base with the MG, then fire your main gun in the same direction right when you see a successful interrupt. Of course this is a very last ditch attempt, normally you should know and expect when and where new objectives pop, so you can be ready for them.

Edited by Zardas (see edit history)

14 hours ago, Lenticulas said:

I suppose in glops you could use this if someone has blown smoke and is probably still sitting there. You could try slowly spraying the area, from right to left with machine gun fire, and when your own 'I'm spotted' indicator appears, you could try a shot at that area, with the main gun. Assuming you were waiting for a long reload or something

I much as I don't want AW to become a copy/ripoff of WoT, I think some of the blindfiring mechanics from WoT should be implemented in AW.

Currently, when you hit a target when they are not spotted, your round [tracer] continues to travel through the target and hit the ground behind (if applicable) as if nothing was there. Personally, I would find it far more satisfying to be able to see the round "disappear" (or bounce off for a non-penetration) when successfully hitting an enemy blind.

This could also give the coaxial MG another use/purpose, where players can "strafe" common sniping positions and check if their bullets are hitting/bouncing on anything. This could make sniping far more dynamic and interesting, as blindfires (with main weapons) could involve less guesswork and more intelligence/prediction. Blindly firing your MG would also expose your position, so such exchanges may largely be risk vs reward.

I dunno, could be a long shot falling on deaf ears, but I definitely think it would be an improvement.

17 hours ago, di_duncan said:

Currently, when you hit a target when they are not spotted, your round [tracer] continues to travel through the target and hit the ground behind (if applicable) as if nothing was there.

Aha. Thanks for confirming this bit of AW physics... for a moment I thought the bots had access to something even better than Romulan cloaking technology.

DVC, QR

In PvE I will use the MG to fire at soft targets while the main gun is reloading, killed quite a few BMD/BMP,  Weisels,  CVR(T), FV 438 with them, done lots of damage with them as well.  Vehicles like the ERC90 and a few others can be damaged at certain points of the sides or rear so while my main gun is reloading I will blat away at them as well.

I use them for shooting at secondays rather than waste main rounds (which I invariably need just after firing), clearing obstacles in view or around caps so making a better field of view. 

• Upvote 1