Sign in to follow this  
Quantum_Ranger

Is there voice chat in AW?

Was watching some of Brit-Crusader 's SpecOps YouTube videos and noticed that his platoon had some sort of voice chat function going on.

Is this possible for AW players on PCs?   Or is this a gaming console-only functionality? 

I see some battalions requiring Discord, but have no idea why they would require that (anything worth saying is worth saying in ArmoredLabs, right?)

Thanks,

DVC, QR 

1 hour ago, Quantum_Ranger said:

Was watching some of Brit-Crusader 's SpecOps YouTube videos and noticed that his platoon had some sort of voice chat function going on.

They probably use an external VoIP program for voice chat, either Discord or TS most likely.

Is this possible for AW players on PCs?

AW does not support VoIP natively, so you'll have to hop on an external application (as mentioned above) with other players to communicate vocally. The ArmoredLabs Discord already has text channels you can use to help find a platoon and voice channels which you can use to platoon with.

I see some battalions requiring Discord, but have no idea why they would require that (anything worth saying is worth saying in ArmoredLabs, right?)

Battalions require a dedicated channel for their organization as well as communication between members. Discord fulfills that need with both text and VoIP functionality, so both text-based discussion/socialization and voice-based platoons are feasible through one convenient (and easily accessible) program.

Edited by di_duncan
Additional comments (see edit history)
  • Upvote 1

it takes some work to get people to use coms, but it is worth the effort.   the few people I managed  to toon up with from Labs didn't use voice.  guess they don't want to be bothered with it or are too focused on running their vehicle  YMMV

It's also possible that they don't have a mic.  I know it seems strange, but I was kind of shocked at the number of people in my company who needed to have Tech Services order them a microphone in order to participate in Zoom meetings once we switched to working-from-home.

I didn't have a mic when I had a speaker setup.  But when my speakers died I got a headset (lots cheaper), and the headset has a built-in mic, so now I have one.

@Quantum_Ranger we use discord. 

We have several channels for different game modes that we use. Playing heroic we go into the heroic channel, only those doing heroic can use it to talk, the rest usualle mute themself. A nice feature is that you can also stream in discord, so those not playing the heroic can watch someone streams of the heroic.

Edited by Norse_Viking (see edit history)