Sign in to follow this  
Lt_Don_Shaljian

Fifth Anniversary Event

I think AW made a mistake.  I know they want to push the "crate" method of selling, but from what I can see this backfired with a lot of players.  They should have given the prize to everyone who participated for the full 35 days.

For me, all this did was reinforce my dislike for these "crates."  No doubt more "crates" will soon be available for purchase so the losers can finish the prize.  AW should sell, or not sell, in a more straight forward fashion.  

IT WILL BE A COLD DAY IN HELL BEFORE THEY GET ANOTHER CENT FROM ME!

yeah im pretty against the crate system, although it has been good to me in the past. Got the Type 99A2-140 for like $25 but then again the Altay took me almost 100 crates to get.

Well, another great move AW.  A free Roman-themed Aquila skin for the ZTQ-15, the tank us crate losers didn't get.  Nothing like re-opening wounds.

You all know the old saying:

Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.

Did people really expect to get a complete tier 9 vehicle, for just 5 pve kill or 1 pvp kill a day ? The only challenge was if you managed to log on every day.

The AGDS giveaway was much more work.

AW have given me more free stuff than any other online game. 

I agree this is a generous game. My comment is that it is obvious AW did this to familiarize more players with the "crate system" of marketing.  What they did had the opposite effect for many, myself included.

If a tier 9 tank was too much to expect for 35 days then they should have offered a lesser prize, commensurate with the effort.  However, that tank should have been provided to everyone who completed the event, even if they had to open all the crates to get it.  That would have familiarized everyone with the "crate system" and provided a far more positive experience to all players.

As it stands AW made it clear that every one had a "good chance" of winning the tier 9.  It is obvious, from the proliferation of complaints, that there was never a "good chance."  The "good chance" actually being offered will be a chance to spend good money on uncertain loot crates to finish the prize.  This carries a sting of disingenuousness.

I feel this does more harm than good to a game that I greatly appreciate.

50 minutes ago, Lt_Don_Shaljian said:

As it stands AW made it clear that every one had a "good chance" of winning the tier 9.  It is obvious, from the proliferation of complaints, that there was never a "good chance."  The "good chance" actually being offered will be a chance to spend good money on uncertain loot crates to finish the prize.  This carries a sting of disingenuousness.

The term "good chance" is relative. It could be a good chance compared to winning the jack pot on the lottery. They should, but never will unless forced, to release the actual percentages of wining each prize. So sadly the loot box system is just the new one armed bandit.

5 hours ago, Norse_Viking said:

Did people really expect to get a complete tier 9 vehicle, for just 5 pve kill or 1 pvp kill a day ? The only challenge was if you managed to log on every day.

The AGDS giveaway was much more work.

AW have given me more free stuff than any other online game. 

I have no problems with not getting a tier 9 tank for some games. However, this entire event was scummy even for lootboxes, because they literally said "ZTQ-15 crates contain ZTQ-15 blueprints". And, it turns out, they do not. Now, since crates were free, no biggie. It was just scummy even for gambling standards, but hey, it's free so whatever.

Now, they will certainly offer those same crates for sale so I wonder, will mycom amend the wording (From "crates contain ZTQ blueprints" to "crates may contain ZTQ blueprints") or crates will now actually give you what you paid for.

I mean, I won't buy them because fuck gambling in a video games, but people who do buy them and then don't get what they expected to get could become reasonably pissed off.

So many people butt hurt about not getting the ZTQ - there was a chance of getting it that was all, no promises but players conned themselves into thinking everyone would get one for next to no effort. 

People moan about the amount of effort they spent working for the final 35 crates - Log in and literally play 1 match a day maybe 2 (PvE even low tier would be easy for 5 kills in a match).

Oh the rewards were not good enough - hmmm lets see

You get a tier 6 the BVP 80 which is fun and can be customised to an extent

Get loads of rentals so you can try different vehicles or like me sell them for gold as I already owned the premiums - which oddly enough I got for free from events or using gold earned in events.

Chance of winning the ZTQ - any parts of crates you have left you can sell for gold (85 gold each when I looked) - which along with my premiums meant I got enough gold to pay for the next Battlepath. 

A few odds and sundrys for doing nothing more than I would any other day - log on for daily bonus, pick a vehicle, play a single match for 10 mins (I chose PvE) log out and all done (ok so somedays I played more than one match)

My point is AW did a poor job of this.  For me, it's not a question of what people should rationally have expected.  It's what they did expect.  This all could have been avoided.

Again, I feel this did more harm than good to a fine and generous game.

Yeah, the event (and the lootboxes) could have been handled better if the devs wanted to introduce people to the lootbox system with a positive experience.

The example I'll give would be to have the BVP-80 come in lootboxes instead of the ZTQ and make sure that players are all but guaranteed to get enough lootboxes (either through sheer volume of lootboxes, or through tweaking the odds to be more favourable) unless they only do no more than ~70% of the event. For the players that either have very bad luck or didn't complete the enough of the event, making the BVP parts tradeable would give those players an incentive to join an active clan (if they aren't in one already) and would provide a demonstration of the trading function.

I'm sure there are other ways that the devs could have done it, however we ended up with with an event that should have been seen as generous but instead left a bit of a bad taste in the players' mouths.

Edited by MK_Regular (see edit history)
  • Upvote 1

The term used was 'decent chance' if I'm not mistaken. 

Anyway, for my personal opinion I feel it's unfair that some players get a major gift while others don't, while doing exactly the same requirements (regardless of difficulty). I'd rather see a difficult mission/marathon in which you can play for a discount on a tank (yes wot style). I know I have 0 chance in those but I'm happy that I know the deal before participating. 

AW seems a very generous game overall, and I'm quite sure I will enjoy it F2P. 

Lootboxes are sh!t in my opinion and I will never buy one. 

Ps. Guess who logged in for at least one battle over the last 35 days but didn't play at all yesterday???

10 hours ago, GunslingerXXX said:

Anyway, for my personal opinion I feel it's unfair that some players get a major gift while others don't, while doing exactly the same requirements (regardless of difficulty). 

And this is really the crux of the issue.  This was supposed to be an Anniversary celebration, yet a fairly high number of players are coming away from it disappointed.  That doesn't make for a very good celebration.

10 hours ago, GunslingerXXX said:

Lootboxes are sh!t in my opinion and I will never buy one. 

Yup.  I understand that AW needs to make money, but loot boxes are a predatory scheme.  They prey on people who are susceptible to gambling and are a generally shitty way for a company to make money.

The problem is twofold: making money with lootboxes is trivially easy, and enough people will stupidly buy 100's of $$ or EUR or GPB of them to keep the company going. 

In most games it works out okay for everyone else, but AW seems to be so lazy that they're gearing everything toward the "whales" or "wallet warriors" or whatever you want to call them.  Which makes the game less appealing for everyone else, and the sad fact of the matter is that the whales need the FTP players just as much as the FTP players need the whales.  One group (the whales) provide income for the company, while the other group (the FTP players) provide the community that is absolutely necessary to keep a game going.

AW still tries to coerce people into playing game modes that they don't want to play, and still sets up very basic, very obvious money grabs.  Both of those practices suppress the FTP community.  I'm sure AW would try to say "but we have lots of players" but that's obviously not the case.  PvP and GLOPS are only available for maybe 6-8 hours a day due to the lack of population.  Even PvE queue times are starting to climb... they're still good because they're measured in seconds, but they've doubled over the last several months at least during my gaming hours.

• Upvote 1

This makes me think of something...

Why not release the lootboxes for sale from the start and offer the players the missions as currently implemented to get those crates and tell them that you're extra generous with the amount of boxes you can get for free because anniversary etc. Let the "normal" anniversary event have the BVP as main reward with some prem time and insignias or whatever (I mean that's a generous award for doing barely anything at all even I managed to fetch those ).

I think that would have pissed off less players while making them look better in the end. Quite sure loads of players would have still done all the missions to get the crates and maybe be less salty bec there's no need for an empty promise.

• Upvote 4

Spoiler

fdassdaas.jpg.c709df3e98adc5265f232fe9458a3043.jpg

I agree - just as you've written it out it sounds a lot better than what happened, even though it is in essence exactly the same in the end.  The key difference is that your proposal would have been up front about the fact that you're not getting a ZTQ-15 as part of the Anniversary celebration, just some loot boxes to reduce your cost by some variable amount if you want the vehicle.  It would have made it up front about the fact that the ZTQ-15 is just another loot box sale, albeit one with a turbo-boost as part of the Anniversary celebration.

It's a subtle difference, but it really is important and I don't think anyone at AW understands either the difference or the importance.

14 hours ago, TeyKey1 said:

This makes me think of something...

Why not release the lootboxes for sale from the start and offer the players the missions as currently implemented to get those crates and tell them that you're extra generous with the amount of boxes you can get for free because anniversary etc. Let the "normal" anniversary event have the BVP as main reward with some prem time and insignias or whatever (I mean that's a generous award for doing barely anything at all even I managed to fetch those ).

I think that would have pissed off less players while making them look better in the end. Quite sure loads of players would have still done all the missions to get the crates and maybe be less salty bec there's no need for an empty promise.

Simple. This was the original intention but it slipped through the cracks when the plans were drafted. Happens when a few people deal with a lot of things. Ironically, you should be happy - most funding goes to the actual development of the game, not a massively bloated operator infrastructure some other companies have, or lavish corporate parties.

1 hour ago, Silentstalker said:

Simple. This was the original intention but it slipped through the cracks when the plans were drafted. Happens when a few people deal with a lot of things. Ironically, you should be happy - most funding goes to the actual development of the game, not a massively bloated operator infrastructure some other companies have, or lavish corporate parties.

Yea...but it would be nice if there were more staff sin general o the game could be developed more and in interesting ways...like more PvE content..and new tank lines more frequently that aren't premiums :)

5 hours ago, Azdule said:

Yea...but it would be nice if there were more staff sin general o the game could be developed more and in interesting ways...like more PvE content..and new tank lines more frequently that aren't premiums :)

If you expect radical changes, I am afraid you'll be disappointed.

33 minutes ago, Silentstalker said:

If you expect radical changes, I am afraid you'll be disappointed.

You mean no 37 map campaigns with 99 new tanks and 47 new mechanics?  I am disappointed...

But seriously, I'd like some more tank lines as premiums are...a little stale for me.  A new line gives longer term players something to aim for and unlock / learn.  Having 5 new premium MBTs / AFVs that do the same role as the 20 others of the tier, is a little bit boring for me.  I appreciate that as a company you need to make money (through premiums for example) but eventually if all you do is release those, players will be turned away