Sign in to follow this  
knutliott

Assists are extra wonky

Supposedly, whoever does the most damage to a target vehicle either gets an elimination or an assist depending on whether or not they also got the kill shot.  Kill shot + most damage = elimination.  No kill + most damage = assist.

Except... if you look at any after action report and compare the number of kills to the number of assists, and then reference the number of eliminations that you got, the total of your eliminations plus the reported assists awarded is probably greater than the number of kills awarded.  Like this:

ScreenShot0900.jpg.ae1ab654230bfef9fd199eeffce4a151.jpgScreenShot0901.jpg.06269d51ba3e53c06696b60742562463.jpg

As you can see, there were 32 kills during that match and 29 assists.  But I got 9 eliminations and according to what we've been told it isn't possible for me to get an elimination and someone else get an assist for the same vehicle.  So they're reporting 38 eliminations + assists in a game where there were only 32 enemy vehicles.

So... what's actually going on?

I'm trying to do the Battle Path Elite mission "Destruction" (which requires you to get 20 total kills + assists 10 times) and I'd like to avoid having to play Spec Ops to do it, which makes it a bit challenging due to the number of enemies available.  The Spec Ops queue at the times I can play is awful, as are the players, so it's not really worth suffering through 10+ Spec Ops matches trying to do this 10 times.  And regular PvE is swarming with GAUs, Terminators, Marders, et al these days too.

4 hours ago, knutliott said:

it isn't possible for me to get an elimination and someone else get an assist for the same vehicle

Unless the game has made another unannounced change recently, kill assist should not take account of whatever damage that the player with the killing blow deals to a target vehicle. It should only care about whoever deals the most damage to the same vehicle excluding the player with the killing blow.

For example, if I do 1 damage to a vehicle, and you do the rest of the damage as well as the killing blow, then you get the kill (+elimination, because you deal the most damage), while I will still get the assist.

aMcZOFg.png

Now that you've said that, that does sound familiar.  But I thought that was the formula before the introduced eliminations, and that it changed when eliminations were added.  In fact I think there's a thread on here somewhere in which SS chimed in and explained it.  Now I just have to find it...

That was easy... apparently my search-fu works better here than it does in general.

According to SS in that thread, it's one or the other.  The person who does the most damage either gets an elimination or an assist, which means that if someone gets an elimination no one gets an assist.  So we're back to my question above... how is it possible for there to be 32 vehicles in the match, with 29 assists awarded, yet I got 9 eliminations?

SS didn't explicitly say that assists and eliminations are mutually exclusive (edit: until his second post in the thread, but you asked an unanswered question later on that gave evidence to suggest his second post wasn't entirely correct), so I'm inclined to go with Qbicle's answer that one player can score an elimination and the player who did the second most amount of damage can still score an assist.

The way I see it, "the person who does the most damage either gets an elimination or an assist" does not mean that "if someone gets an elimination no one gets an assist" but rather "if someone gets an elimination the player who did the second most damage gets an assist."

Edited by MK_Regular (see edit history)

He did give what seemed to be a definitive answer earlier in the thread, but then he contradicted himself later, and my example proved that his definitive answer can't be right anyway.

The only way to really double check would be to get a 5-man platoon together and very carefully kill all of the bots, keeping exact track of which ones were solo killed, etc., and then seeing what the after action report had to say about it.