Haswell

In Development: 2T Stalker

1 hour ago, Silentstalker said:

Let's assume you have a perfectly balanced premium that's not stronger than other vehicles. For everyone, it will be more like "meh why bother, we already better vehicles in the game."How will you make it attractive to players so they buy it?

A perfectly balanced vehicle, premium or not, would also not be weaker than other vehicles at least in the sense of gameplay viability. Sure it can be weaker in one aspect (ie. durability) than others, but other aspects can then be made comparatively stronger. That would be the perfect world where nobody could say "X is better than Y" in generalization without examining the specific circumstances, but sadly nothing can ever be perfect.

In the case of current balancing, a good premium vehicle could be one that is on par with the best performing (statistically) progression vehicle of the same playstyle, with some differences in characteristics (ie. slightly better mobility for slightly worse firepower) to give players a sense of variety. It certainly wouldn't be as appealing or sell as well as something that is blatantly broken (note: not overpowered, big difference), but that's the price to pay for having well-balanced vehicles to promote healthier gameplay. There has to be some way that balance can be marketed as a selling point, even if the benefits aren't immediately obvious.

Vehicles can also be made attractive by having perks that don't directly affect gameplay balance (ie. 640 with its 1.25x multipliers). Assume that the game economy isn't in complete shambles like it is now, extra XP and credit multipliers would easily add appeal to otherwise boring vehicles. Theses perks wouldn't necessarily have to be constant, they could come and go on rotating schedules to periodically refresh the appeal of older vehicles to older players, and entice newer players to purchase them. For example, say there are monthly events that focus on specific categories of vehicles (ie. heavy AFV, light AFV, wheeled TDs, etc), and premium vehicles of said category in focus would receive income bonuses for the duration of the event. This would also have the positive side effect regularly of shaking up the gameplay meta since certain vehicles would become more popular, preventing stagnation without having to keep releasing new vehicles to keep gameplay fresh.

If anything, the game desperately need regular and continuous credit sinks NOT in the form of overprogression to bring the economy back down to sane levels. Perhaps the base system would offer a solution, but that's going off on a wild tangent.

2 hours ago, Silentstalker said:

And to make things clear - assume being a "fair developer" (playing the "good guy" card, CDPR style) is not going to work (certainly for AW, even if we are saints, even if you sell the project off to a guy who works charity by day and saves puppies from shelters by night, we'll always get caught by the past actions so there's no point in trying).

I realize the goal of any game development is to earn profit, unless it's a pet project of some sort. But even then there are ways to monetize game content without compromising gameplay balance or overall game health (ie. playerbase sustainability). It's like the fishing industry, overfishing will definitely generate great profit at the cost of being unsustainable in the long run, while sustainable fishing will ensure profits to continue a great deal longer, and most likely far more profitable than trying to make all the money as fast as possible.

Spoiler

17 hours ago, Silentstalker said:

Well, no. This problem actually concerns all newly introduced vehicles, be it premium, progression or obtainable otherwise.... (eg. being powercreeped)..... . Another problem that compounds the issue is that the "credit printer" argument.... No longer applies

To start, thank you for replying, despite my usual torrent of unnecessary cynicism and sarcasm. :-) 

Anyway, re: all new vehicles being a bit OP, fair enough. If that's what it takes, and *IF* there's seriously no effective way round it, then... I'm OK with that. As long as the intention is that the OPness is kept at reasonable minimum, ie Chally falcon, rather than Strela.

Remember you'd just have to make new Prems better than normal tanks, not all the other existing premiums

And I was thinking about the credit-printer thing the other day, they eventually became their own downfall. People bought them for the credits, ended up with a ton of credits, and then didn't need to buy more credit-printer Premiums.

If you need to spam loot crates, go for it as far as I'm concerned. I can buy them if I want, and they don't screw over my win rate. Fine.

Make more camos, I bought a load of historical camos, keep it up.

Basically, all I want, is that when I play a Glops match, I get a fair shake of the dice, as to whether I win or not. That's all. And everything else, is a logical extension of that desire.

Edited by Lenticulas (see edit history)

"Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth."

On 8/3/2020 at 3:59 PM, Silentstalker said:

That is a way many games do it. They gradually powercreep (the trick is to make this manageable by powercreeping only slightly, it's called the salami method).

I KNEW I'd seen that particular expression before....

Salami tactics, also known as the salami-slice strategy or salami attacks,[1] is a divide and conquer process of threats and alliances used to overcome opposition. With it, an aggressor can influence and eventually dominate a landscape, typically political, piece by piece. In this fashion, the opposition is eliminated "slice by slice" until it realizes, usually too late, that it is virtually gone in its entirety....

Compare and contrast with "boiling the frog"

And "just the tip"

Look  baby .... we can compromise, I think we're ready, but how 'bout you know ... "Just the tip". I promise if it hurts at all I'll pull out.

I guess the OP Premiums are "just the tip" . Having now read the "Battle Hardened = preferential matchmaking" 

... I guess that's the next inch or so.

"Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth."