Sign in to follow this  
Quantum_Ranger

So what's in *your* reward crate?

I have a growing collection of unopened reward crates. Legend has it that the crates used to be awesome and dropped really frequently, then the devs came and made the crate drops less frequent but with "better" crates... but then the crates got nerfed again. So I'm treating them like unused lottery tickets - half the fun of owning them is the suspense of what might be inside... but realizing that actually opening them might be the road to disappointment.

So the first few crates I opened had some rep and a 1-day rental tank in them... meh. And in global chat someone paid RL $$ for the 25-plat crate special, and after opening them all had maybe 100 gold total. I gather that the content of the crates isn't always the same, and that maybe some prizes are more scarce than others.

Has anyone compiled a histogram / list of what's actually in the silver/gold/plat/specops crates?  Or at least describe the best and worst case crate contents?

1 hour ago, Quantum_Ranger said:

Legend has it that the crates used to be awesome and dropped really frequently, then the devs came and made the crate drops less frequent but with "better" crates... but then the crates got nerfed again.

Platinum crates used to be amazing. But that was years ago, Obsidian-era IIRC.

I believe they used to drop permanent versions of premium vehicles tier 6 and under. Obviously, this wasn't particularly wise from a business perspective, so the rewards were toned down significantly.

1 hour ago, Quantum_Ranger said:

So I'm treating them like unused lottery tickets - half the fun of owning them is the suspense of what might be inside... but realizing that actually opening them might be the road to disappointment.

Same here ;)

I've always kept at least 10 gold crates and 20 platinum crates, all of them earned since I've started playing. I think of them as a memento of the many years I've spent playing AW. Considering I've amassed countless insignias, boosts, premium time, premium vehicles, etc. already, crates aren't particularly useful to me, even if they still offered permanent premiums.

2 hours ago, Quantum_Ranger said:

So the first few crates I opened had some rep and a 1-day rental tank in them... meh.

A common drop. Quite welcome in my eyes, since they provide 125 gold [upon activation] if you already own the vehicle in question. I happen to be a collector anyways, so you should get the gist ;)

I would suggest saving them. If you happen to acquire the vehicle in the future, you can activate all of its rentals for EZ gold. With how contract crates function nowadays, players can basically get free premiums anyways.

However, rentals also provide players with an opportunity to try out premiums they're interested in before purchase, so I'd say it's worth activating a single rental if you are interested in a vehicle and/or enjoy it on the testing range. 

2 hours ago, Quantum_Ranger said:

And in global chat someone paid RL $$ for the 25-plat crate special, and after opening them all had maybe 100 gold total.

Yeah they generally suck. Definitely not worth the money.

Probably the best reward(s) you can get out of them are the aforementioned rental vehicles (125 gold), large amounts of credits/reputation, and premium time.

3 hours ago, Quantum_Ranger said:

I gather that the content of the crates isn't always the same, and that maybe some prizes are more scarce than others.

Never. 

I often get insignias or boosts, which are utterly useless considering I already have thousands and hundreds of them respectively. However, I'm pretty happy with receiving reputation or premium time. The best reward I've ever opened from "regular" crates has to be 30 days of premium time, which I received from a gold crate no less ;)

3 hours ago, Quantum_Ranger said:

Has anyone compiled a histogram / list of what's actually in the silver/gold/plat/specops crates?  Or at least describe the best and worst case crate contents?

I don't think anyone has listed the best possible rewards from the current iteration of crates, but the AW wiki has an article regarding the previous crate system and rewards (which shouldn't be too dissimilar).

What made crates so plentiful in the Obsidian era was that they gave them out for every single match as a performance reward, and the bar was set pretty low, or more precisely, depended more on which map you were playing. I didn't play any PvP back then, but missions like Perseus, Albatross, Stormy Winter all but guaranteed a platinum crate if you played at least decently:

Spoiler

Screenshot0034.thumb.jpg.c6273e16a812c6ee2163989cd2f73ec3.jpg

I've only ever gotten a single permanent vehicle from the hundreds of platinums I've opened back then, the VFM Mk. 5. Only rentals ever since.

In special crates, I got the best rewards from the 25 Armata 152 crates received from Operation Gathering Storm, a T-80U Shark and a WWO Wilk.

Honestly, it was a lot more fun when you could get them as rewards from missions, and they actually dropped well. It just felt more rewarding for doing well.

OK, just finished getting the T8 Stalker from the second Eastern Contract.... so now there's the mystery crate that follows. Realistically, what do these contain?  

I'm hoping it's not just another rental tank...

QR

No, they contain random Tier 6+ premiums.  You can get really lucky and score a Tier 10 out of them, but usually it will be a Tier 6 or 7 or maybe an 8.

Eatern crates might  drop: skin  and/or t6-t8 premium  and/or t9-t10 premium rental or in case if all vehicles from  tier 6-8 are owned they give gold if it rolls for that tier  t6 tier 500g t7 (650 not confirmed),but t8 no idea how much gold it gives if all t8 premium are owned.

For me best drop gold crate is 30 days premium.. got it 2x already.

For me it was a VFM (non-skinned version) Bradley Sentinel Skin (seem to have been a lot of those recently) and a 99a2 140 rental

Got my first Eastern Crate after 2T Stalker's introduction. Sold my XM1 for the second time, and I got a Leopard 2 Revolution together with a Bradley Sentinel skin.

My previous Eastern Crate got me an XM1 (after selling it away for the first time) together with a Sprut-SD Titan skin.

aMcZOFg.png

you do realize you could be getting gold if you kept the prem tanks?

as the same for normal tanks... the more tanks you have, the more xp you get when playing.

I need some explanation - one is selling premium tank for credits to avoid getting xxx gold compensation?

Or, is there some glitch which allows them to sell prem tank for gold, then a next contract box has favorable drop rules which toss this sold tank again to a player ?

9 hours ago, TekNicTerror said:

as the same for normal tanks... the more tanks you have, the more xp you get when playing.

Yes but I will explain below.

7 hours ago, dfnce said:

I need some explanation - one is selling premium tank for credits to avoid getting xxx gold compensation?

Or, is there some glitch which allows them to sell prem tank for gold, then a next contract box has favorable drop rules which toss this sold tank again to a player ?

The Eastern Crate (much like the American Dream and Moscow Calling seasonal crates) can drop premium vehicles, as well as tier 9-10 rentals, skins, gold, and even camouflage.

However, a number of players started reporting a lack of vehicle drops from seasonal crates this year, and after some hypothesis and cross checking, they find out the chance of a premium vehicle drop decreases significantly if you own all available tier 6 premium vehicles.

So the workaround solution is to sell a tier 6 premium vehicle that you already own to increase the drop chance again. Ultimately, I prefer doing it this way because you can get more premium vehicles, and in turn you can reclaim more gold via rental drop (e.g. from Spec Ops crates) compensations.

• Upvote 2

aMcZOFg.png

2 hours ago, Qbicle said:

chance of a premium vehicle drop decreases significantly if you own all available tier 6 premium vehicles.

The current working theory is that this applies to every tier, 6 to 8. That is, your chances of getting the paltry gold drop (not full compensation) drastically increases if you own every possible drop within tier 6, 7 or 8.

From what we think we know, the contract boxes will always drop a tier 6-8 premium vehicle that you don't already own (excluding the K21 I think), but only if you don't already own every possible drop at tiers 6 or 7 or 8. The hypothesized logic is that the boxes first check if you already own everything at any tier, and if you do it defaults to dropping gold instead of rolling to another tier that you may have missing vehicles. A reported experience is that someone who owned every tier 6 drop had received a 500 gold drop consecutively for 7 boxes, then immediately dropped a tier 7 premium on his next box after he sold off his Magach 7A.

The practice of selling the crappiest tier 6 premium you have (people recommend Magach) comes from the fact that tier 6 appears to have a heavier drop rate than the other tiers. If you own everything at tier 7 or 8, you should also sell one of them in order to make room for another vehicle drop. My personal picks right now are the PTZ and the Stryker missile truck.

Of course, this is all just theories with anecdotal evidence. But there are definitely some premium vehicles that you rarely or never play at tiers 6-8, so there's really no harm done if you sell one of them at each tier to potentially increase your chances of getting something good from the boxes.

12 hours ago, TekNicTerror said:

As I explained above, the gold you get from the boxes are far below the full compensation you normally get for receiving duplicate vehicles. Tier 6 is apparently only 500 gold, unsure about the other tiers but I suspect it wouldn't be any higher than 1500. MAYBE there's a case to be made for owning all possible tier 8 drops so you get a higher amount of gold from boxes, but I doubt a lot of people are at that point yet.

The vehicle ownership XP multiplier suffer from diminishing returns after reaching +20% bonus (my dossier says I have 230 vehicles unlocked, and only a +34% bonus) and becomes wholly irrelevant once people no longer have the need to grind XP, such as from already finished grinding all the progression vehicles they want. For players who aren't at this point yet, chances are they also wouldn't already have enough premium vehicles for all this to be a problem.

Spoiler

even if it's only 5 gold.... still better to get that 5 gold then get however much credits the prem tanks sell for...

And yes, I know's it 500+ gold, depending on what was to be dropped, I am just saying the gold amount is worth more than the credits.

Edited by TekNicTerror (see edit history)

Assuming you desperately need the gold, sure. Otherwise the chance of getting whole premium vehicles including rarities like the K1A1 and Type 90 (I got both of them from the boxes) far outweighs the paltry gold drops.

Selling vehicles here isn't about getting credits, it's about maximizing your chances of getting something better than 500 gold.

Spoiler