Sign in to follow this  
Haswell

In Development: BVP M-80A

https://aw.my.games/en/news/general/development-bvp-m-80a

Today, we’d like to return to the topic of BVP M-80A Premium AFV, which was announced more than a year ago. Back then, we mentioned that it would become a prize for the Age of Rage Battle Path but its model was not ready on time, there were some balance issues and, as a result, the vehicle was shelved for quite a while.

However, we’re now happy to report that this AFV will be appearing in Update 0.33. One major change that we did is that, as we announced previously, the BVP M-80A is now a Tier 5 Premium AFV instead of Tier 4 – some of its modules and abilities were very difficult to balance for Tier 4 and Tier 5 does seem like a suitable place for it.

In Armored Warfare, the BVP M-80A will be a Tier 5 Premium Armored Fighting Vehicle. Like its Tier suggests, the M-80A will be a tracked vehicle roughly on par with the BMP-2 in performance. The basic hull will be sloped but also quite fragile just like the BMP series has with the mobility being slightly worse than that of the BMP-1P. Its biggest advantage will, however, be the option to configure it depending on what play style you prefer.

You see, the M-80A will be available with three different weapon systems (turrets) that you will be able to choose from.

The first option is the M-80/98A turret with a combination of a 30mm Zastava M86 L/70 autocannon (similar in performance to the Russian 2A72) and a Malyutka missile launcher. With this weapon system, the vehicle is sometimes referred to as M-80A1 Vidra. This is a 2004 upgrade, which means the turret will feature modern electronics, optics and an accurate FCS, making it the best choice for pure scouting. The Malyutka launcher will be a twin one too and will be able to launch both missiles in quick succession (albeit not at once).

img1

The second option is the Foka turret, which is an anti-aircraft turret with two 30mm Zastava autocannons. This M-80A variant is also sometimes called SPAT 30/2. In this configuration, the vehicle will not have the spotting capabilities of the 80/98A turret, but this downside will be compensated by a very high damage per minute and rate of fire value of both autocannons. Its play style will resemble that of the AMX-13 DCA, but without the special radar ability, resulting in a short-to-mid range fire support platform capable of laying down withering torrents of fire.

img2

And, finally, there’s the M83 turret, which is the polar opposite of the Foka. This is a dedicated tank hunter variant, replacing the autocannon with a launcher for six Malyutka missiles that can be fired with only a short delay between shots. This option will turn the vehicle into a mid-to-long range tank killer, devastating its targets with well-placed missiles.

imgr3

We hope that you will enjoy this vehicle.

My immediate reaction is one of dread, because the game needs yet another DCA/York counterpart at tier 5 right? Low tier DPM creep is real, and the BVP isn't exactly helping to curb the issue.

Note that the BVP is confirmed NOT to be a BP reward, it will be a "normal" premium vehicle. It might also be the anniversary gift for all we know, since those are considered normal as well.

Spoiler

28 minutes ago, Haswell said:

My immediate reaction is one of dread

I have a very bad feeling about this myself - AA gun ruling PVE and ATGM wagon ruling PVP. :derpiseal:

Spoiler

fdassdaas.jpg.c709df3e98adc5265f232fe9458a3043.jpg

5 hours ago, TeyKey1 said:

AA gun ruling PVE and ATGM wagon ruling PVP.

I'm not sure about the capabilities of the autocannon AA turret configuration, but at least the tank hunter turret will be armed with shitty tier 3 (equivalent) Malyutka ATGMs:

lGWBIs9.png

Look at that velocity. 

Italian Chef Kiss* | Know Your Meme

1 hour ago, di_duncan said:

I'm not sure about the capabilities of the autocannon AA turret configuration, but at least the tank hunter turret will be armed with shitty tier 3 (equivalent) Malyutka ATGMs:

Oh boi. 400mm :sadseal:

Velocity wouldn't be a problem if the agility was good but 10°/s... hmmm. At least looks to be an interesting vehicle.

Spoiler

fdassdaas.jpg.c709df3e98adc5265f232fe9458a3043.jpg

2 hours ago, di_duncan said:

I'm not sure about the capabilities of the autocannon AA turret configuration, but at least the tank hunter turret will be armed with shitty tier 3 (equivalent) Malyutka ATGMs

Yeah the Malyutka makes me think that the twin AC turret is the only one that will get used.  So... yay!  MOAR DAKKA AT TIER 5!!!

:-|

It might not be the tier 3 version of the Malyutka. iirc, the ZBL-08 gets a Chinese derivative of the Malyutka and is fairly effective at tier 6.

looking at the wikipedia entry for the Malyutka, we could end up with a number of variants:

• AT-3A Sagger A 9M14 Malyutka wire-guided MCLOS Entered service in 1963.
  • AT-3B Sagger B 9M14M Malyutka-M wire-guided MCLOS Entered service in 1973 improved motor, reducing flight time to maximum range. Mass 11 kg. Range 3 km.
  • AT-3C Sagger C 9M14P Malyutka-P wire-guided SACLOS
    • 9M14P Improved warhead 460 mm versus RHA, Entered service in 1969
    • 9M14P1 Improved warhead 520 mm versus RHA with a stand off probe for improved capability against ERA.
    • 9M14MP1
    • 9M14MP2
  • AT-3D Sagger D wire-guided SACLOS entered service in the 1990s. Mass 13 kg. Range 3 km. Speed improved to 130 m/s.
    • 9M14-2 Malyutka-2 3.5 kg HEAT warhead 800 mm penetration versus RHA. Entered service in 1992. Weight 12.5 kg.
    • 9M14-2M Malyutka-2M 4.2 kg tandem HEAT warhead for improved capability against ERA. Weight 13.5 kg. Speed 120 m/s.
    • 9M14-2P Malyutka-2P
    • 9M14-2F Malyutka-2F 3.0 kg thermobaric warhead. Intended for use against troops and soft vehicles.
    • 9M14P-2F
    • 9M14-2T Serbian VTI Malyutka-2T SACLOS 4.4 kg tandem HEAT warhead 1,000 mm penetration versus RHA, improved capability against ERA. Weight 13.7 kg. Speed 120 m/s.
    • 2T5 Serbian VTI Malyutka-2T5 range 5 kilometers, guided missile via radio control. Speed 200 m/s.

The Malyutka we currently have in-game at tier 3 appears to be either the AT-3A or AT-3B, meaning we could see any of the AT-3C variants (460 or 520 pen, possibly with a better modifier against ERA) or the devs could completely go off the deep end and give us AT-3D with 800mm (or more, and possibly with a tandem warhead) of HEAT pen at tier 5.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, MK_Regular said:

The Malyutka we currently have in-game at tier 3 appears to be either the AT-3A or AT-3B, meaning we could see any of the AT-3C variants (460 or 520 pen, possibly with a better modifier against ERA) or the devs could completely go off the deep end and give us AT-3D with 800mm (or more, and possibly with a tandem warhead) of HEAT pen at tier 5.

OOF

I hope they're sensible enough to do the right thing.

Edited by di_duncan
Additional comments (see edit history)

I have a problem with this.  With the York being what it is right nowturdthatneedstobeflushed, do we really need anymore low tier "AAA" style guns/tanks at the lower tiers?

"If you were not birthed with claws or fangs, store bought will do just fine."

Honestly, the York isn't the proper comparison.  That would be the DCA.  (Which they do note in the announcement when discussing the Foka turret version.)

Compared to the DCA, the York trades maneuverability for armor.  For many people (me included) that makes it preferable because it makes it easier to play.  But I'm just as devastating in the DCA because it spits out similar insane levels of damage.  You just have to be more active about changing positions and pay closer attention to your situational awareness.

Which is how you're going to play the Foka turret version, too.  I don't buy the "short to mid range" fire support... no one self-spots while playing the DCA because it's too risky.  When you get spotted (and you WILL get spotted) you're dead.  So it's played as long range fire support or as a selective brawler... basically exactly how I see the Foka turret BVP M-80A being played, too.

I never use the radar on the York, either.  There are plenty of targets to be found... no sense making yourself even easier to see than you already are.  I use the York as short to mid range fire support because it has enough armor to make that feasible.

On 7/14/2020 at 5:51 PM, Silentstalker said:

We are aware of the potential "another York" or "lol ATGM spam" problems and will balance the vehicle accordingly.

Given that the York and DCA are currently the gold standards for DPM overload at tier 5, how would the BVP be balanced in order to make it appealing (if not competitive) compared to the other two?

Having lower DPM than the York and DCA is practically a hard requirement for the BVP to be balanced, but what would it get to compensate for this relative disadvantage? Infantry? Designates? Lulzy mobility?

Spoiler

On 7/17/2020 at 7:04 AM, Silentstalker said:

Or we can just nerf the York and DCA.

SS,

In my opinion, something needs to be done.  I hate to say it, they need to be nerfed because there isn't any other way around it.

The problem comes from this premise: imagine you being a new player to this game, and in a match you have a York or DCA in the match and they clean up.  How would that make you feel?  I will tell you that beside certain aspect that are obvious, it makes the whole new player experience very very painful.  The DCA isn't anywhere near as bad as the York, but it is up there.

While you say that the team is aware of the issue and will balance accordingly, in the environment we are in its kind of hard to see how this could be balanced as a premium where autocannons rule PvE at the lower tiers.  Even with the missiles, someone will figure out how to abuse it.

I'll just leave this right here.

This is with the BVP M-80A and the twin 30mm cannon.  The view gun sight is way above the normal view perspective of what we would consider normal.

However, even at longer ranges as you see here, aim for the point and all the rounds go low.

This will go into the bug column.

bvpm80a_aimpoint_issues.jpg