Sign in to follow this  
Haswell

Moderator Recruitment - Voting

Please vote for ONE (1) moderator candidate. You can change your vote at any time.  

26 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. All your votes are anonymous, although it would be helpful if you explain why you support/oppose any particular candidate.

• TeyKey1
    • Jamzs3-AU
    • Sebastian_Grimm
    • Yxlouvia
    • itzjustrick
    • di_duncan
    • Tired_needs_Nrg_Drinks
    • MaffoXD
    • Bob_Magilica
    • Katsumoto

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/25/20 at 03:59 PM

On 6/29/2020 at 12:05 AM, Haswell said:

Even the most ideal self-moderating community will require the occasional policing from time to time, if nothing else but to keep the community running smoothly and enjoyable for everyone involved. Both the ArmoredLabs forum and the Discord server have been exemplary in having no more than two instances where I had to step in to give stern talks, and I literally have not had to punish anyone for anything so far.

That being said, the forum and Discord server have grown quite quickly over the past several months, with over 200 users on each end and dozens of them actively participating. There are virtually no gaps of inactivity as we have users spanning across every time zone (and some with screwy sleep schedules). I trust every user to behave themselves, but I am also limited in availability as I go to sleep in case something do happen and require my immediate attention.

ArmoredLabs is now recruiting TWO active moderators to keep our forum and Discord server orderly. The workload will be minimal as everyone are still behaving themselves exceptionally well, so this is more or a preemptive move to bring in extra pairs of eyes before we grow too big and our self-moderation start falling apart.

The recruitment process will be as follows:

June 28 - July 11
Nomination phase: each user can nominate other users (including themselves) to become candidates. There are no limits, but including reasons for the nominations would be nice. Note that nominees can either accept or refuse the nomination. Lack of response will be interpreted as implied refusal.

July 12 - July 25
Voting phase: nominees who voiced their acceptance will be placed on a poll for users to vote on. Again, it would be nice to include reasons for your votes, but you can also stay silent and vote anonymously if you prefer. Don't vote for yourself obviously, self votes will be voided.

July 26 - hopefully before August
Finalizing phase: I'll vet the winning candidates and contact them so they can get their mod tags. I know I have the final say, but I will respect the wishes of the community for as much as I can. That is, assuming your wishes aren't to turn ArmoredLabs into a circus.

As outlined in the previous nomination thread, this thread will include the poll for everyone to vote for your desired moderators. Please note that each user can only vote for ONE (1) option because the forum software is limited that way.

Take your time and decide who you'd want to vote for, you have until the poll closes on July 25 to cast your votes. All votes will be anonymous except to the forum staff (which is just me and Never right now). Please don't vote for yourself, because I'll just void self-votes and look at you funny. You can change your votes any time before the poll closes automatically.

Candidates can still turn down the moderator positions even if they win, in which case I'll proceed to the next candidate with the most votes.

Here are some questions/concerns raised in the nomination thread, with answers

• Do moderators have to be active on both the ArmoredLabs Discord and forums? Or are you planning to recruit one for each?
    Ideally both, but preference leans heavily on the Discord side right now due to the rapid-fire nature of instant messaging. Moderators will have authority on both the forum and Discord, because splitting them up right now is just unnecessarily complicated.
  • Can official game staff (ie. mods on the Official Discord) still be moderators on ArmoredLabs?
    Unfortunately not. As outlined in our policy towards the official staff, they will not hold any special permissions or authority on ArmoredLabs as long as they are staff on the official channels. This isn't due to any ill will towards them, it's simply a matter of potential conflicts of interest that I'd like to avoid as much as possible.

Any further discussions are welcomed here of course. Free face masks for anyone planning to host or join rallies. Press F to request the services of Russian hackers.

Previous nomination thread: https://armoredlabs.net/index.php?/topic/299-moderator-recruitment-nominations/

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Haswell said:

Can official game staff (ie. mods on the Official Discord) still be moderators on ArmoredLabs?
Unfortunately not. As outlined in our policy towards the official staff, they will not hold any special permissions or authority on ArmoredLabs as long as they are staff on the official channels. This isn't due to any ill will towards them, it's simply a matter of potential conflicts of interest that I'd like to avoid as much as possible.

big sad, no Soren discord mod. very big sad

and i vote Sebastian, because:

i'm sorry, i just can't be serious on this

12 minutes ago, Soren said:

big sad, no Soren discord mod. very big sad

Pets Soren.

:wubseal:

Spoiler

Yohoho, i'd like to thank everyone for their votes, im sure that big fat 0 is nothing but a forum glitch.

Im also something like a discord god if i say so myself as i defo know all the ins and outs

So yeah, vote for me and remember

#MakeArmoredLabsGreat2020 #VoteMaf #BullySoren #BaguettesAreBad

Well, since I’m in the running, I may as well introduce myself.

I’ve been playing Armored Warfare since day one of open beta. So I’ve been witness to the ups, the downs, and the stagnations throughout AWs existence. I’ve spent a significant amount of time, effort, and even money on AW (more than I’d like to admit) because this game was (and still is) the most enjoyable within the tank/armor combat genre (IMO). 

Although I primarily play GlOps nowadays, I have experience in [nearly] every gamemode (apart from Ranked Battles). Consequently, I’d like to believe I tend to stand at and hold a rather neutral and objective position in discussions. 

To preface my CV, I would first like to address my faults. Most forum users may recognize me as that annoying long-winded or excessive user who constantly posts his views and/or beliefs that no one cares about. Unfortunately, this seems to have become somewhat of a habit after numerous university papers, so apologies to all who must read/suffer through my ramblings (this included).

As for my involvement with ArmoredLabs, I’ll be the first to admit my presence and activity on the Discord has been limited, to say the least. Don’t get me wrong, I love Discord; only I primarily use it as a VoIP and message client. Most of the platoons I’ve played with have used Discord to communicate in-game. I just simply do not have the time or patience to read through and/or interact with numerous channels and servers throughout the day. 

Although I joined the ArmoredLabs server when it was still named “AW Mission Support Group”, I find the format and organization of Discord to be inconvenient and/or unproductive when trying to conduct proper discussion and debate. However, that’s not to say I am inexperienced with Discord. I registered during their [open] beta period in early 2016, so I’ve come to know the program inside and out. Since then, I’ve also set up several servers with channels, roles, and bots, including a prospective server for AW (although work on it ceased after the launch of these forums).

Elected or not, I believe there is room for improvement on the Discord side. That being said, I would like to present my list of potential improvements/optimizations (many being imported from my experience with my “experimental” AW server) for the current ArmoredLabs Discord server:

• More refined welcome and rules channel(s)
    • Possibly including user-verification
  • Reaction roles
  • More specific/granular roles for various classifications
  • News/update channel for articles posted on the main AW portal
  • A channel for suggestions (possibly with a voting system)
  • Member and moderation logs (public or private)

Unfortunately, many of these suggestions are not default options/additions, but may require other bots with more functionality and/or flexibility than Nadeko (which is currently used). Of course, the final decision over whether to incorporate these options or not is ultimately at @Haswell's discretion. 

In the meantime though, I’ve been very active here on our ArmoredLabs forum. I joined on March 4th (when email verification was still a thing), which IIRC was the 6th day after the site was launched. Currently, I’m ranked third and fourth respectively with regards to reputation and content, which is something I guess?

I haven’t started many threads, perhaps the most noteworthy of which being my recent crew overview. The majority of my content tends to be constructive replies to and discussions regarding topics which I am passionate about and/or invested in. I will often speak my mind within many of these topics which draw my attention, regardless if I agree with or object to them. 

I admit I am fairly opinionated, and I will sometimes express my thoughts/perspectives in a brutally straightforward and occasionally explicit manner. However, I don’t believe I am a stubborn or unreasonable person, as I am able and willing to recognize good points or a compelling argument.

Since I have far less technical know-how and/or experience establishing/managing a forum, I cannot claim to have many suggestions or recommendations on how to improve or refine the forums as they are right now. However, I do want to present a couple of QoL proposals:

• Consolidate and/or streamline subforums
    • Remove Tape Study (since older replays become defunct and obsolete after every new patch/update)
    • Moving Mentor Meet-up to go under People, Platoons and Pwning
  • Create a pinned or easily accessible Q&A section/topic (so that quick questions can be asked without needing to create a new topic)

Having said all of this, I realize it is very unlikely for me to be selected as a moderator, so I would like to take the time to endorse a fellow candidate, namely @TeyKey1. Those active and/or familiar with the forums most likely already recognize him, but for those of you who do not, let me justify my nomination and support for him.

Apart from being an active participant on both the ArmoredLabs forum and Discord, TeyKey also runs AWTactics, a German community site which hosts news, guides, and reviews for Armored Warfare. Despite a language barrier (as English is a second language to him), his forum interactions are consistently insightful and articulate. His content count and reputation are largely indicative of his participation and contribution(s).

Translating and transferring his experience from German to English, he’s created numerous helpful topics and guides. He’s offered sound advice, contributed to discussions, and reasoned through debates; while also submitting remarks, correction(s), and critiques with respect to the game’s mechanics, direction, and overall playability. He’s demonstrated that he is extremely knowledgeable and a fitting, respectful personality who deserves to be moderator.

On 7/14/2020 at 11:01 PM, di_duncan said:

Apart from being an active participant on both the ArmoredLabs forum and Discord, TeyKey also runs AWTactics, a German community site which hosts news, guides, and reviews for Armored Warfare. Despite a language barrier (as English is a second language to him), his forum interactions are consistently insightful and articulate. His content count and reputation are largely indicative of his participation and contribution(s).

Translating and transferring his experience from German to English, he’s created numerous helpful topics and guides. He’s offered sound advice, contributed to discussions, and reasoned through debates; while also submitting remarks, correction(s), and critiques with respect to the game’s mechanics, direction, and overall playability. He’s demonstrated that he is extremely knowledgeable and a fitting, respectful personality who deserves to be moderator.

As @di_duncan already started to introduce me (Thanks btw :happyseal:) I think it's time to add some more insights for you:

Regarding myself: I'm 22 years old and live in Switzerland. Currently I'm not working but a student at an university of applied sciences to get my degree in electrical engineering. Apart from playing AW and lots of other PC games I'm doing bodyweight training to stay in shape. An important hobby of mine is much related to all sorts of EDM music, especially House. Apart from just listening and growing my collection I enjoy to create some DJ sets at home and just recently started to get into music production in general. And of course there is AWtactics and all the works involved around it.

Ever since I've started playing WOT back in 2012 I started to become a tank nerd in general. Everything tank related (especially WW2 tanks) was a good way to spend my time :derpiseal: In 2015 I joined the closed beta of Armored Warfare (as a Lord of War founder). As the game offered way more action and more interesting mechanics compared to WOT I quickly abandoned WOT in general. Since then I'm an active AW player in all modes (however, I mainly play PVP). I launched AWtactics in the end of 2019 and am an AW CC since early 2020. Apart from playing tank games I was a driver on the Leopard 2A4 MBT in the army, which gave me some more insights of how those steel beasts work in real life.

I was nominated as a potential mod candidade for ArmoredLabs. In case I end up being selected this is what you can expect from me:

• In general I'm CET/CEST based, and active in those timeframes accordingly. Additionally real life still has top priority for me (I think this is obvious and not a problem) 
  • People already noticed that I'm more active on the forums than on the discord server. If "active" is defined as interacting/chatting regularly this is definitely the case. However, I read most of the stuff posted in the discord. If I don't have anything to say I prefer to keep quiet :winkseal:
  •  I think it's aswell important to metion that the community in general is behaving very well. I haven't encountered any bad behaviour since I'm here. In my opinion this should stay this way, leaving the moderators only to remove/sanction the bad stuff which might potentially appear. Therefore the process of adding mods to ArmoredLabs should have a minimal impact on the "daily business" of the ArmoredLabs community.

Edited by TeyKey1 (see edit history)

Spoiler

fdassdaas.jpg.c709df3e98adc5265f232fe9458a3043.jpg

Voting has closed, congrats to TeyKey and Seb! Both prospect moderators have been contacted on Discord.

Spoiler

On 7/26/2020 at 10:52 AM, Haswell said:

Voting has closed, congrats to TeyKey and Seb! Both prospect moderators have been contacted on Discord.

Yes indeed!  A very deserving pair!  And warm condolences to the rest of the distinguished field.

3 hours ago, Quantum_Ranger said:

A very deserving pair!

Considering Sebastian being extremely cursed, and getting so much vote because the memes, the DNA of the souls

but he's a cool guy anyway, and now he face the consequences of his cursed side

but he's a cool guy anyway, and now he face the consequences of his cursed side

Burned that mod. More to go, but the rest of the mods seem far nicer and do not deserve any silly stuff. :D

achievement.png