Sign in to follow this  
Zemosu

Request to optimize the game

Is there any way to have a petition or any sort of way of communicating to the dev team that we need major optimization work for the game since it runs and look very bad an out of date.

2 minutes ago, Silentstalker said:

That would be mostly pointless. We don't really read there. Damn, where is that link even from?

Quite interesting then. German mods point the players to this very feedback form all the time...

So it's not relevant anymore, only discord remains?

Spoiler

fdassdaas.jpg.c709df3e98adc5265f232fe9458a3043.jpg

4 minutes ago, TeyKey1 said:

Quite interesting then. German mods point the players to this very feedback form all the time...

So it's not relevant anymore, only discord remains?

In theory it's still accessible. In praxis, stuff that appears there almost always appears on Discord first unless it's some generic DIS GAEM SUX GAEM DEAD whine someone needs to gets off his chest. The German moderators are okay to use this link, nothing wrong with that, but, again, in praxis, I am the only guy in this entire company who speaks German so you can imagine the position this takes on my priority list. The most effective working solution is when the same moderators notify me via our internal channels about an issue. Which they do regularily.

4 hours ago, Zemosu said:

Is there any way to have a petition or any sort of way of communicating to the dev team that we need major optimization work for the game since it runs and look very bad an out of date.

While I agree that the game doesn't run as well as it should, I have no issues with the current graphics/visuals. 

IMHO it looks rather good TBH ;)

15 hours ago, di_duncan said:

While I agree that the game doesn't run as well as it should, I have no issues with the current graphics/visuals. 

IMHO it looks rather good TBH ;)

Could you provide more info regarding you rig and settings? maybe some in game screenshots.

Edited by Zemosu (see edit history)

7 hours ago, Zemosu said:

Could you provide more info regarding you rig and settings? maybe some in game screenshots.

Hardware:

• i7-6700K
  • GTX 1080ti
  • SATA SSD

Settings:

4nxwJMf.png

"2K" (2560x1440) G-sync Monitor

kO9T6F9.png

All minimum/low settings are for performance and/or personal preference
For example, Post-Process is minimum because motion blur sucks mega ass  

5UsEEdG.png

No DSR because I want consistently crisp visuals
FPS limit(s) because of G-Sync

That being said, I usually get >100 fps in-game, although that can drop as low as ~60 fps on in some hectic situations/larger GlOps maps.

Screenshots:

All taken on Grindelwald, apologies if they aren't particularly well framed... (I'm not a photographer)

Y7Sy8iJ.jpg

fhA6y10.jpg

00Jc7fa.jpg

muPeTkz.jpg

I hope all of this is satisfactory.

3 hours ago, di_duncan said:

Hardware:

• i7-6700K
  • GTX 1080ti
  • SATA SSD

Settings:

4nxwJMf.png

"2K" (2560x1440) G-sync Monitor

kO9T6F9.png

All minimum/low settings are for performance and/or personal preference
For example, Post-Process is minimum because motion blur sucks mega ass  

5UsEEdG.png

No DSR because I want consistently crisp visuals
FPS limit(s) because of G-Sync

That being said, I usually get >100 fps in-game, although that can drop as low as ~60 fps on in some hectic situations/larger GlOps maps.

Screenshots:

All taken on Grindelwald, apologies if they aren't particularly well framed... (I'm not a photographer)

Y7Sy8iJ.jpg

fhA6y10.jpg

00Jc7fa.jpg

muPeTkz.jpg

I hope all of this is satisfactory.

Thank you very much for your feedback. 

Your GPU is top of the line, even now I cheapest I can find it priced is over 1000 euros in my area. That is more than some peoples entire rig and mentioning that it still drops to 60fps as soon as there is some action is rather disappointing.

On the other note maybe it's subjective, but the textures still look bad IMHO,  the vegetation is ugly and the way it "blends" in the terrain looks like axe work, actually most of the stuff don't really blend in very well, different texture clip, and various elements seem very oddly placed(buildings look bad).

1 hour ago, Zemosu said:

That is more than some peoples entire rig and mentioning that it still drops to 60fps as soon as there is some action is rather disappointing.

Definitely not as well optimized as I'd like. 

However, some factors of note:

• I haven't updated my GPU drivers in over a year (laziness, I guess)... I'm sure I could squeeze some more FPS out of this if I did.
  • CryEngine is a rather taxing engine to begin with. Considering it's infamous use on the Crysis games, I'm not sure how much more optimized AW can become.
1 hour ago, Zemosu said:

On the other note maybe it's subjective

Oh it's subjective for sure. I think it looks fine because I'm not looking for graphics or realism, I just want decent performance and to have fun ;)

1 hour ago, Zemosu said:

the textures still look bad IMHO,  the vegetation is ugly and the way it "blends" in the terrain looks like axe work, actually most of the stuff don't really blend in very well, different texture clip, and various elements seem very oddly placed(buildings look bad).

Definitely not as visually appealing compared to more modern/updated titles. The terrain (rocks, ground, etc.) is particularly rough/jagged, but I believe this is due to my settings. As for the inconsistent asset design language, IIRC many resources are simply stock/modified CryEngine assets.

Since my settings are all over the place (although mostly low/minimum), I'm confident my game can look better, I just prefer performance over visuals.

Edited by di_duncan
Rewording (see edit history)

10 hours ago, di_duncan said:

Definitely not as well optimized as I'd like. 

However, some factors of note:

• I haven't updated my GPU drivers in over a year (laziness, I guess)... I'm sure I could squeeze some more FPS out of this if I did.
  • CryEngine is a rather taxing engine to begin with. Considering it's infamous use on the Crysis games, I'm not sure how much more optimized AW can become.

Oh it's subjective for sure. I think it looks fine because I'm not looking for graphics or realism, I just want decent performance and to have fun ;)

Definitely not as visually appealing compared to more modern/updated titles. The terrain (rocks, ground, etc.) is particularly rough/jagged, but I believe this is due to my settings. As for the inconsistent asset design language, IIRC many resources are simply stock/modified CryEngine assets.

Since my settings are all over the place (although mostly low/minimum), I'm confident my game can look better, I just prefer performance over visuals.

I agree many of the titles build on cryengine have some performance issues there is no doubt about that. But it is also true that many of the cry engine titles I played could really get a lot more compelling visual with similar performance (Hunt Showdown, Kingdom Come Deliverance - this one I find to be one of the most pleasing RPG to look at, I like it's cenary more then I like some of the scenery in The Witcher 3, Skyrim etc and it's not about the texture quality but rather proportions and placement of things in the environment).

Correct me if I'm wrong please, but hasn't the CryEngine been kept up to date over the years and still kept in play?

There really hasn't been a full engine update.  To me it looks the same as it did the first night during the open beta random battles.  My hardware has gotten better but I was running pretty far up there as far as the graphics settings.  It did take them years to get it fixed so the fan on my graphics card didn't sound like a jet engine during take off in the garage.

"If you were not birthed with claws or fangs, store bought will do just fine."

18 minutes ago, Katsumoto said:

hasn't the CryEngine been kept up to date over the years and still kept in play?

Crytek still maintains and updates their engine, with the latest release arriving in September of last year. Of course, newer versions of the engine will provide developers with additional features, tools, and options to enhance their titles (including more efficient/streamlined optimization).

However, IIRC, Armored Warfare's CryEngine has never been updated, which (based on development and release dates) suggests it's still using a version of CryEngine 3 or 4. This is probably a key factor as to why the game looks rather dated/appears similar to it's open beta state. 

EDIT: Under the Wikipedia list of CryEngine games, AW is noted to be using a version from 3.6 - 4. 

I've also played a couple of Sniper: Ghost Warrior titles, and while they looked somewhat better than AW, all of them were rather resource intensive.

Edited by di_duncan
Additional Information (see edit history)

15 hours ago, Zemosu said:

But it is also true that many of the cry engine titles I played could really get a lot more compelling visual with similar performance (Hunt Showdown, Kingdom Come Deliverance - this one I find to be one of the most pleasing RPG to look at, I like it's cenary more then I like some of the scenery in The Witcher 3, Skyrim etc and it's not about the texture quality but rather proportions and placement of things in the environment).

After visiting the list of games using CryEngine, I can now somewhat understand the causes behind the better visuals/performance of the games you've mentioned.

Kingdom Come Deliverance was developed by Warhorse Studios, a Czech game development company with >100 employees, which is over 3 times the number compared to Allods (the team currently working on AW). Furthermore, it was released in 2018, so it also likely took advantage of an improved, refined version of CryEngine.

Hunt Showdown is expected to look and perform better, since it's Crytek themselves who developed it. Plus, they are using CryEngine V (the most modern iteration of the engine), so the excellent visual fidelity is no big surprise really.

On 7/15/2020 at 3:57 AM, di_duncan said:

After visiting the list of games using CryEngine, I can now somewhat understand the causes behind the better visuals/performance of the games you've mentioned.

Kingdom Come Deliverance was developed by Warhorse Studios, a Czech game development company with >100 employees, which is over 3 times the number compared to Allods (the team currently working on AW). Furthermore, it was released in 2018, so it also likely took advantage of an improved, refined version of CryEngine.

Hunt Showdown is expected to look and perform better, since it's Crytek themselves who developed it. Plus, they are using CryEngine V (the most modern iteration of the engine), so the excellent visual fidelity is no big surprise really.

I check that list to and also several other discussions on cry engine games, and it seems that cryengine 3 fps drops is like run of the mill stuff, nothing new here. I manged to get the game to run at around 144(with drops to 100 also I will post pics of settings when I get on my home pc) on normal -small maps, but as soon as I get a big map(Frontlines, Roughneck, etc) the game drops to 20-30 fps and stays there unless I go to sniper view where I get around 50-70 fps.

The main changed I did that showed results was to changes some of the anti aliasing settings from the graphics card settings to override the application settings. I believe this can be done on Nvidia by manually setting the graphics card as the processor for anti aliasing and overriding application settings I remember this helped me get to 144 fps on my GTX 1060 but it didn't help with stability of frames, still that lead to a increase in the average fps.

One last topic I regarding cryengine 3 that I had found was that Cry engine 3 performs worst on Vega GPUS, and also that it performs worst on Win10 vs Win7 with Vega GPUS and seeing that I have a Vega 56 on Win 10 kinda blows.

Edited by Zemosu (see edit history)

What is the possibility of a game engine upgrade?

(I know it entails a huge amount of work, depending on upgrade game engine compatibility and available support for Crytek).

Not sure however what are the legal and financial agreements, I see MY.COM/Mail.RU and it's affiliate developers use CryEngine 3 on a lot of products(tried Warface and you can clearly see it's age, also I believe skyforge uses the same engine version, etc) Question is is there any plan or discussion to have such an upgrade? I belive My.COM would be in a good position to squeeze a good deal out of Crytek since they are know to have major financial issues.