Sign in to follow this  
Haswell

In Development: T-15 Kinzhal

https://aw.my.games/en/news/general/development-t-15-kinzhal

scr4

Click the image to open a larger version

In Armored Warfare, the T-15 Kinzhal will be a Tier 10 Premium Tank Destroyer as well as the top prize of the Wars of the Past Battle Path campaign.

But before we tell you more about it, here’s the usual disclaimer:

The numbers below are very preliminary as the vehicle has not been properly tested. They are sure to change and should only be discussed as an indicator of how we’d like to set the vehicle up.

With that being said:

For the most part, the T-15 Kinzhal will resemble the standard T-15. The protection systems, the camouflage and the mobility will be roughly the same, although the Kinzhal will feature an additional module improving acceleration by 15 percent.

scr5

The main difference will, of course, be the different turret featuring a 57mm gun similar to the one of the Derivatsiya. However, this gun will use a different mechanic – a rapid three round burst with increasing penetration for each shell within the burst (this mechanism is similar to the Griffin 50mm one). The gun will use an AP shell only (520mm of penetration, 92 points damage per shot) with the final shell of the burst being capable of penetrating even an MBT frontally.

On the downside, there will only be a single ATGM launcher with two Kornet missiles (tandem HEAT warhead, 1300mm of penetration and 1100 points damage per shot).

scr6

The gun will also have only mediocre gun depression (-6 degrees). In other words, this T-15 will shift its firepower focus from ATGMs to its gun. With these three round bursts, we’re looking at roughly 24.000 points of damage per minute. For the ATGMs, you’ll be able to choose between two modes (mutually exclusive additional progression modules):

• Improved launcher (2.7s between launches, 17 second magazine reload time)
  • Double launch (two missiles launch at once, 22 second magazine reload time)

And that’s pretty much it. The other features that you know and love on the T-15 are there as well – Mechanized Infantry deployment or the Supercharged Hard-Kill APS ability.

scr7

I'm... not too excited about this one. The burst mechanic is nice on paper, but my experiences with the Griffin shows that even with high DPM on paper, the time to kill (TTK) becomes rather long due to the pauses.

Time for some math:

Assuming an average of 276 damage per burst (92*3), it will take 6-7 bursts to kill a superior Sphinx bot. Assuming 0.5s for the whole burst + reload cycle, that's roughly 3-3.5s to kill the bot. This is comparable to the normal T-15.

I'm not sure the 57mm burst is worth giving up two missiles. Never mind the fact that the Strv2k can pretty much do the same thing with its coax 40mm, and it carries a more useful gun to boot.

Spoiler

I am jack's complete lack of excitement. 

This T15 of meh will not sell as well as the previous BP reward tanks.

Never been a fan of the T-15, but considering the thing has 24K base DPM and 520 pen, it will be pretty nuts, especially if its module damage isn't bad. the 30mm T-15 is around 28K? DPM with it's AC but won't easily pen the sides of MBTs while damaging their ammorack in the process. 

And with the 520mm pen on the first shot, you can do a LOT more than with the 205mm of the 30mm AC.

Also, fun fact, I had to go as low a freaking T3 to find an AP round with only 500mm of pen while checking how easy it would be to pen T10 MBTs. Ridiculous...

Honestly, if the 57mm deals lots of module damage, it could be broken IMO, But we kinda expect that right? Gotta powercreep the old stuff...

Edit : The burst thingy will be ping related like on the Griff I guess... How does that even work... I have no idea...

Edited by Grenier (see edit history)

this will be the first bp worth to skip for me 

-6 gun depression is a no go in my book and atgm's are not consistent, not to mention that module damage repairing will be a constant bothersome with this huge bus.

There should be simple option to use kinzhal turret as upgrade...nothing to see here imo

520 pen with a 1.5x multiplier per shot (Griffin 50mm mechanic) means that the 3rd shot has 1170 pen.  I.e. it will pen literally anything it can see with that 3rd shot.

With that kind of pen it doesn't need to brawl.  It can pen MBTs from out of sight range.  Sure, only 92 damage from a 3-shot burst isn't a ton, but it does mean that nothing is safe.

We'll see.  I like the idea, but of course the proof remains to be seen.