Yuyuko

In game sound effects

I know im not the first one to think or talk about it. But this always makes me wonder what is necessary or if we need to wait a few more months or years to get new sounds to the game.

a lot of people talk that "we need better graphics" but they forget that a good sound effect is basically 50% of a game. i`ve been playing this game have 5 years, and i never really saw a major change in that part, i wonder if its the graphics engine that have its limits making impossible to create realistic effects of Engine sound,Gun sound, shell bounce, i know it takes time and a lot of effort to do that but in 5 years, there is really no "Team" to work only for that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huEQIlxlIo4 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqZunPq-i2s

Yes the game really needs better sound above all other visual improvements in my opinion. For me this is clearly showing what is possible in this regard:

The Leos Turbodiesel in 7:29 sounds quite realistic. Tanks sound like tanks in general and not like lawnmowers. The sounds of the shell cartridge base hitting the cartridge basket and the closing sound of the breech just add to the immersion in my opinion. Additionally the MG sounds actually sound close to an MG unlike in AW.

• Upvote 1

Spoiler

fdassdaas.jpg.c709df3e98adc5265f232fe9458a3043.jpg

Yes i really love War Thunder and World of Tanks for have listen to the players and improve their sounds, it becomes another game. Wish the same could happen in AW.

As much as I appreciate immersive audio design, I don't think Armored Warfare (as an arcade-style game) needs to offer a captivating aural experience. I don't even think it has to be visually stunning. Games such as Tarkov require excellent sound design as their gameplay is extensively intertwined with and even dependent on hearing and listening. There is no gameplay advantage to be gained in AW through audio.

IMO, stability and optimization take precedence, especially in a game which has a smaller population. In both of these regards, I cannot say that I am entirely impressed. So there is still a ways to go. The AW team does appear to have their priorities set straight though. 0.33 should overhaul vehicle, commander, and map balance, although there will also be aesthetic (vehicle model) changes as well. Who knows if sounds will also be addressed in the future?

If sounds are to be redesigned, I would love to hear some improved engine notes, as the current sounds are rather dull. Since the majority of driving in AW is done with the third-person camera, the engine is almost always audible to players. While it is easy to distinguish between diesel, hybrid, and gas turbine engines, it would be nice to hear some character and diversity between engines of the same type (such as a turbo whistle). Cannon and other firing sounds are of secondary importance in my eyes (or is it ears?), since they are usually muffled when aiming (in first-person/"sniper mode"). 

There is also a potential informal avenue of respite: modding. Although I am not particularly saavy regarding the technical aspect(s) of AW, perhaps it's possible to replace/substitute sound files? 

Edited by di_duncan
Wording (see edit history)

"(as an arcade-style game)" such as World of Tanks and War Thunder.  

I don't think Armored Warfare  needs to offer a captivating aural experience. you dont know the potencial this game have, to provide a way much better and realistic sound effects.

Old players need to learn to deal with new horizons, new sound effects can caught attention of more players and more players means more money to them. Also any arcade-style game that have "20 to 21 century war theme" NEED to have a realistic or close to realistic sound effects.

On 7/9/2020 at 11:32 PM, Yuyuko said:

"(as an arcade-style game)" such as World of Tanks and War Thunder.

While I agree that WoT is definitely arcade, I cannot say the same for War Thunder. 

There is a reason why WT's player retention is so poor. Of course, the overwhelming grind is a major factor, but the realistic damage model and relatively complex game mechanics do not lend themselves to a game which is easy to learn or enjoy. Even in "arcade" players will be hull broken and/or one shot in GBs while aircraft are shot down just as easily in ABs (now especially, due to the proliferation of missiles).

you dont know the potencial this game have, to provide a way much better and realistic sound effects.

I know exactly how much potential AW has. But with a dev team of only ~30 people, they can only do so much.

Believe me, I'd rather postpone the addition of any new vehicles or even delay the launch of a BP if it meant we could get a sound redesign/update. Unfortunately, the majority of the developers working on this game are likely modelers and/or visual designers. Creating new content such as vehicles/lines or a raid/BP ensures a stable playerbase while also potentially attracting/drawing back new/old players alike. This maintains their bottom line and keeps the game afloat.

A sound update would either require a significant period of development or additional training/contract work, while the final result would have little to no additional content or effect on gameplay. I would much rather the team focus their efforts on update 0.33, as it is crucial for balance and consequently the health of the game as a whole. Of course, if Allods has some additional cash/resources to spare, I would love to see them update the sound design of AW.

Old players need to learn to deal with new horizons, new sound effects can caught attention of more players and more players means more money to them.

As much as I'd like to be as optimistic as you are, I'm a realist. Armored Warfare's chance at widespread acclaim and popularity has come and gone. Better sounds effects will likely be welcomed by the existing community, but such an update would fly under the radar of everyone else, much like any other AW update, big or small. It's rather unfortunate, but it's unfortunately true.

Also any arcade-style game that have "20 to 21 century war theme" NEED to have a realistic or close to realistic sound effects.

While your claim should be valid, at least in principle, then AW should already fall under your umbrella of "realistic or close to realistic sound effects" (even in its current state). 

CS:GO's default weapon sounds are far from realistic, yet they are adequate. In fact, CS sounds are so recognizable not because they are faithful to their original(s), but because they are distinct and different.

Other games such as CoD, Battlefield, R6S and even Arma (which is meant to be an "authentic military sandbox" mind you) follow this same trend. If AW's current sounds are unrealistic, then your criticism should extend to these [very respectable] games/franchises as well. 

Hell, even WoT's stock sounds are quite lackluster, with many tanks and cannons sharing the same sounds. There's a reason why there are so many soundmods (RIP Gnomefather's)...
Note that the WT sound showcase video was also demonstrating revised sounds from the Epic Thunder modpack. 

That being said, I'm pretty sure there is nothing stopping the AW community from adding their own preferred sounds into the game, especially with the unofficial modding capabilities we now possess. However, with the AW community being this small, who knows if someone has the time and/or technical prowess to create a soundpack for AW...

Edited by di_duncan
Rewording (see edit history)

A low expense, high yield sound improvement would be to make the different commander voices more distinctive. To me, Sabrina, Rachel, and Freya all sound alike. 

Sometimes I switch commanders just to change the channel on the nagging.

DFK

On 7/10/2020 at 1:32 PM, Yuyuko said:

Old players need to learn to deal with new horizons, new sound effects can caught attention of more players and more players means more money to them. Also any arcade-style game that have "20 to 21 century war theme" NEED to have a realistic or close to realistic sound effects.

While a i think better sound affects would be great,  i disagree that better sound affects would attract a shit load of new players, 

• Upvote 1

If they want new players, make the game better to play in, not a game that looks or sounds better.

After all... good looking shit, or nice sounding shit, is still shit....

• Upvote 1

can SS maybe send some info here, if indeed sound issue will also be ever regarded - as most players request this improvement?

I have also started this topic, on this forum and also on the old one AW..seems every time this gets no response whatsoever..

If you search AW on youtube, you can see videos from 2015, with Abrams M1A2 sounding very natural..what as been changed that all sound the same now?

I would be glad if any of the voted Moderators on this channel will reply .

vielen dank SS fuer deine Rueckmeldung.

Regards all!

On 7/10/2020 at 8:27 AM, di_duncan said:

While I agree that WoT is definitely arcade, I cannot say the same for War Thunder. 

There is a reason why WT's player retention is so poor. Of course, the overwhelming grind is a major factor, but the realistic damage model and relatively complex game mechanics do not lend themselves to a game which is easy to learn or enjoy. Even in "arcade" players will be hull broken and/or one shot in GBs while aircraft are shot down just as easily in ABs (now especially, due to the proliferation of missiles).

I know exactly how much potential AW has. But with a dev team of only ~30 people, they can only do so much.

Believe me, I'd rather postpone the addition of any new vehicles or even delay the launch of a BP if it meant we could get a sound redesign/update. Unfortunately, the majority of the developers working on this game are likely modelers and/or visual designers. Creating new content such as vehicles/lines or a raid/BP ensures a stable playerbase while also potentially attracting/drawing back new/old players alike. This maintains their bottom line and keeps the game afloat.

A sound update would either require a significant period of development or additional training/contract work, while the final result would have little to no additional content or effect on gameplay. I would much rather the team focus their efforts on update 0.33, as it is crucial for balance and consequently the health of the game as a whole. Of course, if Allods has some additional cash/resources to spare, I would love to see them update the sound design of AW.

As much as I'd like to be as optimistic as you are, I'm a realist. Armored Warfare's chance at widespread acclaim and popularity has come and gone. Better sounds effects will likely be welcomed by the existing community, but such an update would fly under the radar of everyone else, much like any other AW update, big or small. It's rather unfortunate, but it's unfortunately true.

While your claim should be valid, at least in principle, then AW should already fall under your umbrella of "realistic or close to realistic sound effects" (even in its current state). 

CS:GO's default weapon sounds are far from realistic, yet they are adequate. In fact, CS sounds are so recognizable not because they are faithful to their original(s), but because they are distinct and different.

Other games such as CoD, Battlefield, R6S and even Arma (which is meant to be an "authentic military sandbox" mind you) follow this same trend. If AW's current sounds are unrealistic, then your criticism should extend to these [very respectable] games/franchises as well. 

Hell, even WoT's stock sounds are quite lackluster, with many tanks and cannons sharing the same sounds. There's a reason why there are so many soundmods (RIP Gnomefather's)...
Note that the WT sound showcase video was also demonstrating revised sounds from the Epic Thunder modpack. 

That being said, I'm pretty sure there is nothing stopping the AW community from adding their own preferred sounds into the game, especially with the unofficial modding capabilities we now possess. However, with the AW community being this small, who knows if someone has the time and/or technical prowess to create a soundpack for AW...

War Thunder has the best sound of all online tank games !!

9 hours ago, Terminator83 said:

War Thunder has the best sound of all online tank games !!

I mean sure, but it also probably has the worst grind of any game that has ever existed, so... :P