Edit History

di_duncan

di_duncan

Rewording

On 7/9/2020 at 11:32 PM, Yuyuko said:

"(as an arcade-style game)" such as World of Tanks and War Thunder.

While I agree that WoT is definitely arcade, I cannot say the same for War Thunder. 

There is a reason why WT's player retention is so poor. Of course, the overwhelming grind is a major factor, but the realistic damage model and relatively complex game mechanics do not lend themselves to a game which is easy to learn or enjoy. Even in "arcade" players will be hull broken and/or one shot in GBs while aircraft are shot down just as easily in ABs (now especially, due to the proliferation of missiles).

you dont know the potencial this game have, to provide a way much better and realistic sound effects.

I know exactly how much potential AW has. But with a dev team of only ~30 people, they can only do so much.

Believe me, I'd rather postpone the addition of any new vehicles or even delay the launch of a BP if it meant we could get a sound redesign/update. Unfortunately, the majority of the developers working on this game are likely modelers and/or visual designers. Creating new content such as vehicles/lines or a raid/BP ensures a stable playerbase while also potentially attracting/drawing back new/old players alike. This maintains their bottom line and keeps the game afloat.

A sound update would either require a significant period of development or additional training/contract work, while the final result would have little to no additional content or effect on gameplay. I would much rather the team focus their efforts on update 0.33, as it is crucial for balance and consequently the health of the game as a whole. Of course, if Allods has some additional cash/resources to spare, I would love to see them update the sound design of AW.

Old players need to learn to deal with new horizons, new sound effects can caught attention of more players and more players means more money to them.

As much as I'd like to be as optimistic as you are, I'm a realist. Armored Warfare's chance at widespread acclaim and popularity has come and gone. Better sounds effects will likely be welcomed by the existing community, but such an update would fly under the radar of everyone else, much like any other AW update, big or small. It's rather unfortunate, but it's unfortunately true.

Also any arcade-style game that have "20 to 21 century war theme" NEED to have a realistic or close to realistic sound effects.

While your claim should be valid, at least in principle, then AW should already fall under your umbrella of "realistic or close to realistic sound effects" (even in its current state). 

CS:GO's default weapon sounds are far from realistic, yet they are adequate. In fact, CS sounds are so recognizable not because they are faithful to their original(s), but because they are distinct and different.

Other games such as CoD, Battlefield, R6S and even Arma (which is meant to be an "authentic military sandbox" mind you) follow this same trend. If AW's current sounds are unrealistic, then your criticism should extend to these [very respectable] games/franchises as well. 

Hell, even WoT's stock sounds are quite lackluster, with many tanks and cannons sharing the same sounds. There's a reason why there are so many soundmods (RIP Gnomefather's)...
Note that the WT sound showcase video was also demonstrating revised sounds from the Epic Thunder modpack. 

That being said, I'm pretty sure there is nothing stopping the AW community from adding their own preferred sounds into the game, especially with the unofficial modding capabilities we now possess. However, with the AW community being this small, who knows if someone has the time and/or technical prowess to create a soundpack for AW...

di_duncan

di_duncan

24 minutes ago, Yuyuko said:

"(as an arcade-style game)" such as World of Tanks and War Thunder.

While I agree that WoT is definitely arcade, I cannot say the same for War Thunder. 

There is a reason why WT's player retention is so poor. Of course, the overwhelming grind is a major factor, but the realistic damage model and relatively complex game mechanics do not lend themselves to a game which is easy to learn or enjoy. Even in "arcade" players will be hull broken and/or one shot in GBs while aircraft are shot down just as easily in ABs (now especially, due to the proliferation of missiles).

33 minutes ago, Yuyuko said:

you dont know the potencial this game have, to provide a way much better and realistic sound effects.

I know exactly how much potential AW has. But with a dev team of only ~30 people, they can only do so much.

Believe me, I'd rather postpone the addition of any new vehicles or even delay the launch of a BP if it meant we could get a sound redesign/update. Unfortunately, the majority of the developers working on this game are likely modelers and/or visual designers. Creating new content such as vehicles/lines or a raid/BP ensures a stable playerbase while also potentially attracting/drawing back new/old players alike. This maintains their bottom line and keeps the game afloat.

A sound update would either require a significant period of development or additional training/contract work, while the final result would have little to no additional content or effect on gameplay. I would much rather the team focus their efforts on update 0.33, as it is crucial for balance and consequently the health of the game as a whole. Of course, if Allods has some additional cash/resources to spare, I would love to see them update the sound design of AW.

1 hour ago, Yuyuko said:

Old players need to learn to deal with new horizons, new sound effects can caught attention of more players and more players means more money to them.

As much as I'd like to be as optimistic as you are, I'm a realist. Armored Warfare's chance at widespread acclaim and popularity has come and passed. Better sounds effects will likely be welcomed by the existing community, but such an update would fly under the radar of everyone else, much like any other AW update, big or small. It's rather unfortunate, but it's unfortunately true.

1 hour ago, Yuyuko said:

Also any arcade-style game that have "20 to 21 century war theme" NEED to have a realistic or close to realistic sound effects.

While your claim should be valid, at least in principle, then AW should already fall under your umbrella of "realistic or close to realistic sound effects" (even in its current state). 

CS:GO's default weapon sounds are far from realistic, yet they are adequate. In fact, CS sounds are so recognizable not because they are faithful to their original(s), but because they are distinct and different.

Other games such as CoD, Battlefield, R6S and even Arma (which is meant to be an "authentic military sandbox" mind you) follow this same trend. If AW's current sounds are unrealistic, then your criticism should extend to these [very respectable] games/franchises as well. 

Hell, even WoT's stock sounds are quite lackluster, with many tanks and cannons sharing the same sounds. There's a reason why there are so many soundmods (RIP Gnomefather's)...
Note that the WT sound showcase video was also demonstrating revised sounds from the Epic Thunder modpack. 

That being said, I'm pretty sure there is nothing stopping the AW community from adding their own preferred sounds into the game, especially with the unofficial modding capabilities we now possess. However, with the AW community being this small, who knows if someone has the time and/or technical prowess to create a soundpack for AW...