Sign in to follow this  
Haswell

July 9 Update Notes

https://aw.my.games/en/news/general/maintenance-july-9-0

On the 9th of July 2020, starting from 8:00 CEST (8th of July, 11 PM PDT), the server will not be available for 5 hours due to the application of Update 0.32.7131

List of Update 0.32.7131 Changes

• Optimized in-game map terrain performance for lowest to medium graphics settings
  • Fixed an additional issue that caused performance loss whenever a vehicle was destroyed (also known as the “exploding vehicles make my FPS go down” problem)
  • Fixed an issue with generator smoke deployment, which was responsible for some weird cases of getting spotted and instantly unspotted when using this feature
  • Fixed an issue with the appearance of the “ghost shell” effect caused by different client and server hit results (such shells will now appear as hitting ground instead of outright disappearing)
  • Fixed an issue where hitting destroyed ERA modules produced no visual effect
  • Added an additional asset connected to the Bastille Day celebrations

:zzzeal:

Spoiler

Fixed an issue with the appearance of the “ghost shell” effect caused by different client and server hit results (such shells will now appear as hitting ground instead of outright disappearing)

Don't really understand what this means. What I'm thinking of is the following:

1. different client and server hit result event
  2. the shell hits the ground according to the client result to make an "illusion" that everything is allright
  3. actual shell hit on server is the valid one and is not at the same spot as the client shows it is

Don't understand what the benefit of this is.

At least they add this sexy skin :happyseal:

screenshot0002_16.jpg

Edited by TeyKey1 (see edit history)

Spoiler

fdassdaas.jpg.c709df3e98adc5265f232fe9458a3043.jpg

Assuming AW has a server reticle, ping spikes, packet loss, and even poor/inconsistent upload speeds can result in these ghost shells. In most cases, hitreg issues are client-side, but considering the relatively recent server issues, AW might also face desync. 

4 hours ago, TeyKey1 said:

Don't really understand what this means. What I'm thinking of is the following:

1. different client and server hit result event
  2. the shell hits the ground according to the client result to make an "illusion" that everything is allright
  3. actual shell hit on server is the valid one and is not at the same spot as the client shows it is

Don't understand what the benefit of this is.

My understanding of it is in line with yours. With this fix, a ghost shell should pass through the target vehicle and may hit the ground (or whatever is) behind.

I don't see any benefits either, but perhaps it can at least indicate some form of network error/malfunction to the player? I think they are trying to erase the "ghost" from "ghost shell" (allowing the shell to impact something at minimum), but I doubt these changes will make these occurrences any less frustrating. 

On another note, I'm rather impressed with their most recent PvP video guide. Animation, production and voice-over quality appears to have be significantly improved. Kudos to the team.

Yep that's pretty much how it works. The problem is the real disappearance - we can't "fix" ghost shells caused by poor latency because there is nothing to fix. The server always decides whether a hit takes place or not (if it didn't, we'd have all sorts of hacks) and if a hit takes place on a 500ms client but not on the server (as you can imagine, this isn't all that rare), the shell would previously just disappear ("ghost shell"), while, right now it will appear as a ground hit. In reality the net code is nowhere near this simple, there are some cryengine latency compensations and so on, but that's the basics of the issue.

The "destroyed ERA doesn't take hits" is another "source" of ghost shells - upon contact with destroyed ERA, the shell would visuall just disappear (the hit would process normally though, but there would be no explosion for example. This did lead some players to believe their hits wouldn't register even if they did.

So yes, both fixes are basically visual, but perception is very important in gaming and this should help reduce the amount of reports considerably.

2 hours ago, Silentstalker said:

So yes, both fixes are basically visual, but perception is very important in gaming and this should help reduce the amount of reports considerably.

Allright then that's what I was thinking of. Makes sense to me then.

Spoiler

fdassdaas.jpg.c709df3e98adc5265f232fe9458a3043.jpg