Soren

NERA and how to fight it

Did you even wondered, how does NERA work?

Or even better, how do i beat the NERA?

Then don't worry, i'm here to help!

What is NERA in AW?

NERA is the latest addition of AW in term of armor, currently, only two tanks use it. The Hunter AFV and the Type 10 Hitomaru. Those two have NERA and share the same mechanic, not exactly the same stat though.

How does it work? Almost like a normal ERA panel, NERA serve as bonus armor against AP / HEAT that are more durable than ERA and give less bonus armor the more it get shot at. it's that simple and it's a pretty neat thingy to have.

Now, what are the stats of NERA?

Let's talk about the armor value of our dear NERA (kinda, we don't actually know how much armor you lost per damage on the NERA, it's a big problematic but if some people have the will to do the math with the Type 10 pen chance thingy, i'll take it)

For the Hunter AFV, the NERA add 500mm of armor against AP and 1000mm against HEAT

For the Type 10, it add 600mm against AP and 900mm against HEAT (sound stupid to just yoink off 100mm between Hunter and Type 10, but Type 10 is almost unkillable frontally with HEAT, so that don't change a lot)

Then, we can ask ourselve, "how can we destroy NERA? How long does it take to destroy it?"

1) you shoot at it, duh.

2) It change a lot between caliber and ammo type

Let's sort this with first, Ammunition type:

for Gun tank:

- AP (and all the derivation of it) : this is the munition of god to destroy NERA, it work like a charm to destroy it

- HEAT / HEAT MP/ HEAT FS: you won't go through, don't waste your ammo destroying the NERA because it would take too much shot (more than 10)

- HEAT T: the Anti ERA, need more shot to destroy NERA, but it actually work (generally one more shot to destroy the NERA)

- HE: why do you want to suffer? do you like wasting ammo?

- PELE: work like AP, bonus point for non pen damage

For ATGM:

- Classic ATGM/ ATGM MP: same as HEAT and HE, forget it

- ATGM Tandem: like HEAT T, generally need 3 ATGM for one block

-Thermobaric: Doesn't work greatly, still does damage tho

For AC:

- AP: it's like hitting a wall with your bare hands. it does ABSOLUTELY nothing

- HE: surprisingly, it work!

- PELE: work less than HE, but it work

Special Mentions:

- Gatling boys: annihilate NERA, totally, "fear them"

- MGM: because fuck armor.

Now, let's sort this with Caliber:

- For the 130mm and plus, it generally stand around 2 shot to get rid of NERA with AP, and 3 with HEAT T and more than 10 for HE / HEAT

- For the 120mm stuff: Around 4 shots, 5/6 for HEAT FS. more than 15 for HE / HEAT (and around 4 for PELE)

- For low caliber: already said earlier, you can just ignore shooting NERA because it's useless

- For ATGM: High tier ATGM almost all have the Tandem trait, so it's safe to assume you can do it without truly worrying (except if you're not a T15 lol)

Finally, advice about NERA in PVP:

as we saw, NERA is an interesting mechanic, and make Type 10 / Hunter interesting opponent

but, what can you do to fight Type 10 more easily?

Leo 2AX? hit the turret NERA. High caliber? just shoot the LFP NERA

T15 or High pen ATGM? go for it! waste some ATGM on destroying the Turret NERA block and make him regret fighting you!

As for the Hunter? NERA shouldn't be a problem for almost everything, maybe with auto cannon stuff, you might have trouble having a pen on the flank, otherwise Hunter is still a squishy guy

Those advice are also valable for YOU, when playing those tanks. The NERA is still an obscure mechanism for people, so you can take advantage of it. but stay on the look out for people that know how it works in other words, people that read this and try to learn out of those info

And for PVE:

For PVE, you shouldn't actually worry about your NERA, the case of "AI destroy the NERA" is pretty rare. As our two BP tanks with it are actually big paper guys. Their NERA is here, but not that useful. Just be careful and keep an eye on the NERA (especially Hull one for the Type 10) is still in a good shape, 1000/900mm against HEAT and 500/600mm against AP is something you don't want to lose. (and don't be afraid to pop those juicy kits to repair the NERA, it's bonus armor, and it's always useful and don't fear those damn AC, they won't do anything against your top tier NERA )

(feel free to add stuff or other important thing i might have forgot in the process)

Edited by Soren
little addition about actual number + more clarity + advice for PVE + fixing stupid typo + FS =/= T (see edit history)
  • Upvote 3

On 6/19/2020 at 3:31 PM, Soren said:

For AC:

- AP: it's like hitting a wall with your bare hands. it does ABSOLUTELY nothing

- HE: surprisingly, it work!

- PELE: just like AP (need to check)

Any word on PELE? I saw, and shot at, my first Hunter yesterday with a Rosomak + Pele.

I think I was damaging it, or my shots were sometimes doing normal damage, sometimes nothing but with the new vehicle damage icons it's difficult to tell, and I'm not sure the damage indicator is displaying all the damage I do, or I just didn't see the indication...

"Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth."

4 hours ago, Lenticulas said:

Any word on PELE? I saw, and shot at, my first Hunter yesterday with a Rosomak + Pele.

Just runned some test and edited the original post

AC pele do work, less than HE , but still work. Tho, it isn't really reliable, if the guy in front of you move you will basically waste your shot against it

and confirmed, AP do ABSOLUTELY nothing, like, nada, nothing, took more than 170k dmg from various AC AP and nothing

Edited by Soren
AP do nothing (see edit history)

Since NERA are so incredibly resistant to fire, are there any situations where you'd want to try to break down the NERA blocks rather than to aim at existing weak spots? From the earlier test it felt like too much time would be wasted trying to break NERA.

Spoiler

12 hours ago, Haswell said:

Since NERA are so incredibly resistant to fire, are there any situations where you'd want to try to break down the NERA blocks rather than to aim at existing weak spots? From the earlier test it felt like too much time would be wasted trying to break NERA.

Basically when the Type 10 is in hulldown position, you want to try this with High Pen ATGM (like T15 / Kornet / AFT 10) or just give you more chance to pen the LFP with high pen tank (T4, Leo 2AX etc etc)

but not gonna lie, it's better to do that with one or two guys in your platoon