Sign in to follow this  
Haswell

Nork Tonk: Basically an Orc Tonk

My pre-release impression is that this is yet another T-series clone, I'm glad to be proven wrong since it is far better in practice than it appears on paper. Don't let the fluff description or stat panel fool you, the Nork Tonk performs far better than it seems on paper.

XWONyQu.png

Durability comes first in my analysis. The frontal armor profile reminds me of the T-72B, it's fairly hardy against most bots that fire AP but Swingfires will occasionally nail the numerous weakspots. The lower plate is vulnerable as expected, but that's not really an issue in practice as long as I pay attention to what may be shooting at me and finding cover before they do. The hull sides are thin, but thick enough to allow some wiggle room in case my positioning isn't perfect much like the Type 96. The turret on the other hand is extremely vulnerable in the cheeks, pointing it straight at whatever is shooting at me is crucial to not have a bad day. Overall, the armor is very much workable as long as I have good situational awareness, but otherwise nothing special to write home about.

aFrSb2K.jpg

Always point your gun at the other guns shooting at you, this is important.

Next up is its excellent mobility. I don't have the Improved Final Drive unlocked yet because of the stupid overprogression system, but even then it is already very quick and responsive for an MBT. This is also helped by the fact that it has downright amazing terrain resistance, making its overall mobility comparable to light tanks. Good mobility by itself tends to be fine, but when coupled with workable armor and great damage output (see below) it becomes a force multiplier to the overall OPness since it allows for very aggressive plays. If anything should be nerfed this is a good place to start.

d6z7xKg.png

One word: retarded.

Lastly, firepower. This is where the Nork Tonk stands out from everything else as the combination of missiles, gun and MG can and will let me carve a path of corpses in front of me. The missiles hit fairly hard at 600-750 alpha (can go higher), throw in tandem HEAT and 700mm pen it can very much handle anything I may come across even frontally. The gun is nothing special with only 550 alpha AP; the MG is useful for plinking at Swingfires and Wiesels and it somehow has comparable damage per shot to autocannons. The true magic however starts to appear when I combine all 3 weapon systems together into a rotation to maximize damage output.

My rotation here is far from perfect and I haven't nailed down the weapon switch times yet, but my general idea is to capitalize on the alpha strike of the missiles first, then use the gun and MG as a damage filler while the missiles reload to minimize the durations of nothing happening. My general rotation here is missile x2 > gun > MG > gun > MG, if there are no squishy targets around I just skip the MG. Note that having weapons on hotswap is crucial in cutting down the weapon swap times, since I don't have to double tap the keys for each slot to switch to them. Using this technique the initial missile + gun opening can easily dump out over 2000 damage in under 6 seconds, which is no small feat at any tier.

I don't get impressed easily. This orcish thing has impressed me, not only because it's frankly OP but because it requires some modicum of skill to make it perform well. It's not particularly forgiving because the combination of great mobility and mediocre armor mean when things go wrong, it tends to go horribly wrong to punish me for my mistakes. When things go right however, the Nork Tonk can bully its way through practically anything it may encounter. Needs nerfs.

GzdwhCN.jpg

Nork Tonk Orc Tonk

Spoiler

Well it's ridiculously OP. We'll see how long it's able to dodge the nerf bat.

As for the gun, especially in PVP it is crucial to use the ATGM as primary armament, as you do not need to aim. So in case you're driving and encountering an enemy vehicle you get some extra seconds of time. Of course depends on what distance you're expecting your enemies. If they are expected to pop up far away the gun is the better option.

ATGM are very agile, which allow for hitting targets over hills and obstacles easily. If done correctly the enemy is not able to deal damage to your vehicle at all.

Spoiler

fdassdaas.jpg.c709df3e98adc5265f232fe9458a3043.jpg

In terms of damage the tank is some competitor to broken pos M247 Sergeant York which destroyed tier 5 pve, but gladly matchmaker doesn't mix them too often

6 hours ago, dfnce said:

In terms of damage the tank is some competitor to broken pos M247 Sergeant York which destroyed tier 5 pve, but gladly matchmaker doesn't mix them too often

Not that beating pubbies is a particularly high accomplishment, but I did win a damage race with a York on SH Ch2 while trying to do some BP missions.  This tank's ability to be nearly constantly firing is a huge boon.  Its definitely up there with the York and M95 in terms of tier-for-tier power.

Spoiler

ScreenShot0045.thumb.jpg.0faca849805d88960fa717097996dab2.jpg

On 6/6/2020 at 9:43 AM, Haswell said:

My rotation here is far from perfect and I haven't nailed down the weapon switch times yet, but my general idea is to capitalize on the alpha strike of the missiles first, then use the gun and MG as a damage filler while the missiles reload to minimize the durations of nothing happening. My general rotation here is missile x2 > gun > MG > gun > MG, if there are no squishy targets around I just skip the MG. Note that having weapons on hotswap is crucial in cutting down the weapon swap times, since I don't have to double tap the keys for each slot to switch to them. Using this technique the initial missile + gun opening can easily dump out over 2000 damage in under 6 seconds, which is no small feat at any tier.

Start with the gun because doing so is effectively free.  Fire gun -> missile -> missile -> gun -> wait for reload (or fire the MG while waiting for reload).  This should increase your burst noticeably because the gun will reload "for free" while you're firing the 2 missiles.  You can actually fire gun -> missile -> gun -> missile -> gun -> wait for reload without any down time, but that spreads your damage out over more time and so both lowers your burst DPM and your overall DPM slightly.