Sign in to follow this  
Lt_Don_Shaljian

Challenger 1 Falcon

I am looking at the Challenger 1 Falcon.  I appears that some time between one and two years ago the auto loader was added and alpha damage reduced.  Has anyone played it?  What do you think of it?

It's actually descent if you like the Challenger play style.

It's an 8-round auto-loader with a long reload for the entire loader (I would tell you specifics but the server is down at the moment).  The gun is okay.  Good mobility.  Good armor but not like the normal Challenger 1 sense if that is what you are looking for.

Bad side is you might want to learn to live without a gun sight and the resultant decrease spotting range.  The gun does get damaged with it getting taken out sometimes.

When I take mine out I can get top marks, but I usually take a beating in it.  I go hull down and use the nice amount of gun depression with just the gun sticking up.

A solid premium? You could say that but it is not one that I would put on the top of my list of tier 8's to get. 

"If you were not birthed with claws or fangs, store bought will do just fine."

The answer depends much if you plan to play in pvp. For pve it is certainly in good spot now.

I suggest to do a test run of the stock tank (picking it from the list of all tanks in game) on test area before purchase. This way you can compare it with other prem tanks. 

As was said, it is all about style and if you accept somewhat 20 sec. reload time between series of shots. Correct usage of burst damage potential due its 8 round clip plays major role. But sometimes there is a feeling of boredom with these clip mechanics and I simply want to play "classic" tank without clip (such as Revo or Degman).

In my opinion a quite fun tank in PVP. Much less armor compared to chally 1 but featuring roughly the same mobility. What makes it strong is the unmanned turret with the CTG gun. Unmanned turret allows for safe hulldown-tactics (which you will need to do because the LFP is garbage). And the gun has a fast salvo reload with decent pen and damage which allows for some nice damage bursts if used correctly. When it comes to T8 MBTs the Degman would be definitely the best choice for all modes. 

Spoiler

fdassdaas.jpg.c709df3e98adc5265f232fe9458a3043.jpg

@Lt_Don_Shaljian I personally love the Chally 1 Falcon. It probably isn't as effective in a PvE environment, but is certainly a force to be reckoned with in PvP modes. 

The armor is terrible for the tier, so bots will have no issues penning you in PvE. consequently, the Falcon is relegated to a hull-down sniper/fire-support role in PvE. 

PvP is another story, since the large magazine, unmanned turret, and excellent intra-clip reload will allow the Falcon to trade damage with any opponent. Finding a hull-down position in PvP can even allow a single Falcon to hold off a decently sized enemy push in a corridor (such as the castle on Salzburg).

All in all, a very fun vehicle in PvP. A player who primarily plays PvE might find the purchase harder to justify though.

Update 0.32.7122 made the following change:
"AI opponents now target unmanned turrets less often"
This, in effect, nerfed the Challenger 1 Falcon in PVE.
Whatever you do, don't buy one.  They are no longer fun to play.

I'm pretty sure it can still manage, even in PvE.

LT players can't brawl in PvE either, so they are forced to snipe. Thus, if a vehicle no longer becomes viable in a defined role; Improvise. Adapt. Overcome. Play safe, be cautious, try to remain hull down or even use your excellent burst damage to eliminate enemies before they can do significant damage to you.

The Challenger 1 Falcon is still a decent vehicle, albeit less durable in PvE. Note that the Falcon was never really a PvE-centric vehicle to begin with, instead favouring PvP environments. There will always be supporters and detractors of any vehicle really, depending on individual playstyle and class preferences. So I'm sure there will still be players who enjoy the Falcon, despite all of its flaws. YMMV OFC

I'll refer the curious back to my original assessment of the vehicle, as all of it still remains valid:

On 6/6/2020 at 2:36 PM, di_duncan said:

I personally love the Chally 1 Falcon. It probably isn't as effective in a PvE environment, but is certainly a force to be reckoned with in PvP modes. 

The armor is terrible for the tier, so bots will have no issues penning you in PvE. consequently, the Falcon is relegated to a hull-down sniper/fire-support role in PvE. 

PvP is another story, since the large magazine, unmanned turret, and excellent intra-clip reload will allow the Falcon to trade damage with any opponent. Finding a hull-down position in PvP can even allow a single Falcon to hold off a decently sized enemy push in a corridor (such as the castle on Salzburg).

All in all, a very fun vehicle in PvP. A player who primarily plays PvE might find the purchase harder to justify though.

di_duncan, thanks for the perspective and your previous thoughtful input.  I will try your suggestions.  I think I just had a bad match and vented in light of the change.

On 7/3/2020 at 4:11 AM, Lt_Don_Shaljian said:

Update 0.32.7122 made the following change:
"AI opponents now target unmanned turrets less often"
This, in effect, nerfed the Challenger 1 Falcon in PVE.
Whatever you do, don't buy one.  They are no longer fun to play.

Right now bots want to hit hull LFP more often, but as a result they more often hit the ground, leaving the gun and other turret stuff undamaged if you position the tank properly. Hull down position? Hide LFP ? Profit.

• Upvote 1