Sign in to follow this  
Austin5125

White spot remains frequently after recent patch

After the recent patch, I felt like I get white spot mark(which gets removed in few seconds) more than before when using smoke. So I've done some testing with my friends, and this is my conclusion.

1.jpg.8dea174aed5a9086370c7a868ffa6761.jpg

Case 1.

Spot gets instantly removed, including white spot mark.

This is expected because smoke screen breaks LOS for both enemy.

4.jpg.f090ed64d13ad66701251b87a589ed2e.jpg

Case 2.

Yellow spot gets removed, but white spot remains.

This should not happen before the patch, because I broke sight with the spotter, so spot should be removed instantly.

But recent patch changed the spotting mechanism, so white spot remains for few seconds.

2.jpg.750ee5e983b91bf61c7cca15fe48ffdd.jpg

Case 3.

Yellow spot gets removed, but white spot remains for few seconds, even if second enemy doesn't have LOS for me.

I suspect this happens because second enemy is not included in the smoke screen range.

I'm not sure this is intended or not, but this definitely limits aggressive gameplay with light armored vehicles.

This means most of the time when using smoke, white spot will always remains for few seconds because you can't cover all enemies 'in the whole map' unless you are way in the corner or use 360 smoke.

Not spotted at all has become more important than before.

I can understand the Case 2, but Case 3 is definitely not a good idea in my opinion. Its not intuitive at all, and traditional forward-facing smoke will not work for the most of the time.

By the way, thanks for AW tactics for an amazing drawing tool. It helped a lot writing this topic. 

Case 1 makes sense.

In case 2 I suppose the enemy on the bottom is not able to spot you due to lack of VR, while his LOS is still able to get to your tank, hence why you're still kept rendered for a vew secs. Makes sense to me as well.

Case 3 seems more like a bug to me because this does not make sense at all. I mean this implies that the enemy spotting ray is able to penetrate the oil tank, which should not be possible.

As expected with the recent spotting changes you get spotted faster than before, if you keep playing as usual. In my opinion in case 2 you should disappear right away when popping smoke, as long as no enemy is able to spot you. This would make more sense to me. If the bottom enemy is able to spot you, you should remain spotted.

For me personally the spot indicator after popping smoke feels very counterintuitive. 

Edited by TeyKey1 (see edit history)

Spoiler

fdassdaas.jpg.c709df3e98adc5265f232fe9458a3043.jpg

Even 360 smoke won't reliably break spotting any more in PVE modes.  There's something wrong with smoke's effects at the moment, I think.