Sign in to follow this  
Katsumoto

ZTQ-15 (split from dev thread)

This is truly hilarious because my luck could never be THAT good.

First crate on my main.

I'm off to abuse it.

first crate.jpg

"If you were not birthed with claws or fangs, store bought will do just fine."

On 9/21/2020 at 6:43 PM, Katsumoto said:

I had a real crazy thought not all too long ago about the ZTQ:

Is it even ready yet?  What are the stats on it?

With the tragedy that is other wise known at 0.33, I would suspect that it isn't even close to being released.

11 hours ago, Katsumoto said:

This is truly hilarious because my luck could never be THAT good.

First crate on my main.

I'm off to abuse it.

This is really ironic, and a feast for conspiracy theorists!

Let us know how it performs please... you are probably among the first to drive it.

QR

2 hours ago, Quantum_Ranger said:

This is really ironic, and a feast for conspiracy theorists!

Let us know how it performs please... you are probably among the first to drive it.

QR

Its a VT-5 with a bit extra pen here and there.  Add in the suspension stuff and a hair bit of squechy and that is the ZTQ

5 hours ago, knutliott said:

I have no idea what this means but I'm going to steal it. :classic_biggrin:

You know there are websites that do the thing with the funny messages and oops! moments that shouldn't have gone out....yeah that word should of have been "squishy"......but I'm good with coining a new word.  My damn auto correct on the phone decided for the first time to not fix something.

Split the ZTQ discussion out from the other In Development thread, since people are now playing it.

How does it perform compared to the Thunderbolt? Assuming HEAT spam on both of course.

Spoiler

22 hours ago, Haswell said:

Split the ZTQ discussion out from the other In Development thread, since people are now playing it.

How does it perform compared to the Thunderbolt? Assuming HEAT spam on both of course.

I had to go break out the TurdDeuce since it has been so long since I played it.

Remember that the T2 has a 120mm gun and the QZT has a 105mm.

The T2 does one thing good and that is deliver damage but it will not take it even with those ERA blocks all over the front and turret.  it has been and always will be the original glass cannon in AW.

The VT-5 and the TZQ do something that the Deuce can't and that is give assurance that everything will be okay.  You can dive into something and come out the other side at least understanding what happened.

Facing a Bradley or T-15 blob the QTZ will come out of it better than the Turd.

The HEAT round is for both of them reliable.  They hit something other than ERA and you get good damage.  The HEAT round for the T2 was "THE" round that everyone wanted HEAT to be based off of when the T2 came out and it still has the ability to give that warm fuzzy feeling that you get when you use it.  Getting a high roll against something in the ZQT is nice when you break put it to use but its like most of the other HEAT rounds: nothing to write home about.  All it means is that you have to use 1 less round to get a target down.

So... ZTQ. I'm one of the lucky people to get one from the lootboxes. Sadly it feels a bit wasted on me since I barely even play anymore, so I'll try to get some value out of it with a review.

First thing that came to my mind was thank god, there's finally another tier 9-10 premium vehicle that isn't an MBT or meme machine. I enjoy playing sqishies more than non-squishies because of their overall higher power ceiling with superior vision control capabilities. That being said, the ZTQ is way more than just another squishy. A lot more in fact, to the point of being bonkers and outclassing all other squishies in terms of power ceiling. I'll try to break down all the things that make the ZTQ worthy of nerfs.

pEMO1DY.jpg

This is my setup. Camo paint is applied, I just turned off customization in the settings.

Firepower: best in class, if only barely.

The HEAT shell does 625 alpha with 900mm pen. The alpha is comparatively lower than say, the 120mm HEAT-MP on the Thunderbolt dealing 684 alpha, but penetration-wise it is best in class. Throw on a 3.22s reload (with retrofits, no crew buffs) and it can hit over 11k DPM. This is higher than the Thunderbolt and Anders which can only manage 10k. I don't have a VT5 so I can't use it for comparison, but seeing how the VT5 simply has lower alpha with the same reload speed I highly dout the ZTQ will get beaten here.

AP shell is... good enough? I never use it, but here are some stats anyway. 750mm pen, 500 alpha. Nothing special.

The gun-launched ATGM, while it has higher penetration than the HEAT shell it also has far lower alpha. Wholly unnecessary and unless you insist on shooting everything from the front, you probably won't ever find a use for it.

Gun handling is sufficiently comfy. Turret traverse is fast enough to not feel awkward; aim time is very quick; accuracy is far better than MBTs. Nothing to complain about, but nothing to write home either.

Durability: ERA is magical.

It's a squishy, it not supposed to have significant levels of usable armor. Yet despite all conventional wisdom the ZTQ actually has armor in the form of ERA on its frontal profile. It's still not something you should be relying on, but the ERA will more often than not block a badly placed shot or missile due to large area coverage. Did I mention the ERA blocks are also capable of blocking 1400mm pen HEAT? The primary armor is also thick enough to be autocannon-proof, frontally at least. Also hardkill APS.

Having SOME form of ERA for frontal protection is more than what could be said for the Thunderbolt or Anders. VT5 has ERA slabs on its sides, but that's far less useful for being shot from the front. Anders can go hulldown to take advantage of its unmanned turret, but is otherwise fairly vulnerable. ZTQ wins here for practical protection.

There is one minor downside: the smoke grenades are still the pre-0.33 variety with a full 60s recharge after popping all the charges, as opposed to the now more common 25s recharge. Slightly annoying, but hardly the end of the world since it still has 3 charges for chain popping smoke.

F55bvwi.jpg

Against 1400mm pen tandem HEAT. Note half the lower front plate being covered as well.

K3yIycD.jpg

Against 900mm pen AP.

Mobility: good enough

Because the ZTQ lacks the Top Speed ability that the Thunderbolt and VT5 have, the ZTQ is at a comparative disadvantage when it comes to long dashes. But that's not really an issue since its base mobility is good enough to get to where it needs to go. It's not as slow and unwieldy as the Harimau and Griffin 120 either, so there's no real need to come up with different maneuver timings compared to your garden variety squishy.

Remember, you don't need the best when good enough will do the job.

Vision control: absurd.

This is where things get silly. The ZTQ has one of the highest camo ratings in the game thanks to its adjustable suspension (lowered suspension grants you a flat +10% camo bonus), and the second highest camo rating at tiers 9-10 after the Shadow (which has 2% higher camo overall). Better still, it only loses 10-25% camo when firing continuously, so you can easily take forward positions and bully targets with impunity.

In terms of base view range, ZTQ also trumps the Thunderbolt and Anders. However because lowering the suspension also penalizes your view range by an unlisted amount (it's hard to gauge based on the view range circles on the minimap), it becomes similar to the Thunderbolt and Anders. ZTQ doesn't have the highest view range, but again it's good enough for the job.

Putting the absurd camo and good enough view range together, this makes the ZTQ better at vision control than the Sphinx and Crab, which are the de facto standards for vision control at tiers 9-10. Before the 0.33 vision changes the ZTQ would probably be considered only above average, but since 0.33 made most things either blind or not stealthy at all (or both) the ZTQ is now heads and shoulders above its peers for vision control.

9lYufwp.jpg

Highest possible camo with my setup, 54.3% is nothing to scoff at.

RAKRZDc.jpg

Actively firing within what should be danger range. Still not spotted.

jsebYZN.jpg

2AX rolling into "oh shit I need to get out of here" range, still not spotted despite losing my commander camo bonus due to people being close to me.

Conclusion: need some nerfs.

Vehicles in AW can be evaluated based on their capabilities on the holy quaternity. It's fine to be good at one or two aspects as long as there are drawbacks; being good at three is pushing towards the OP zone. Being good at all four is grounds for serious nerfs.

ZTQ has excellent firepower and vision control capabilities, better frontal protection than most of its peers, and good enough mobility to get to where you want on time. The combination of good firepower and absurd vision control far outweighs its supposed mediocrity in mobility and durability.

If I were in charge, I'd remove the adjustable suspension to bring the camo values back to sane levels. That +10% camo from lowering the suspension simply isn't needed to make the ZTQ good, it's already very capable with its best in class firepower.

Edited by Haswell
Fixes (see edit history)

Spoiler

8 hours ago, Haswell said:

So... ZTQ. I'm one of the lucky people to get one from the lootboxes. Sadly it feels a bit wasted on me since I barely even play anymore...

First thing that came to my mind was thank god, there's finally another tier 9-10 premium vehicle that isn't an MBT or meme machine. 

Conclusion: need some nerfs.

Vehicles in AW can be evaluated based on their capabilities on the holy quaternity. It's fine to be good at one or two aspects as long as there are drawbacks; being good at three is pushing towards the OP zone. Being good at all four is grounds for serious nerfs.

ZTQ has excellent firepower and vision control capabilities, better frontal protection than most of its peers, and good enough mobility to get to where you want on time. The combination of good firepower and absurd vision control far outweighs its supposed mediocrity in mobility and durability.

If I were in charge, I'd remove the adjustable suspension to bring the camo values back to sane levels. That +10% camo from lowering the suspension simply isn't needed to make the ZTQ good, it's already very capable with its best in class firepower.

1. Sorry you aren't getting much opportunity to play. It's fun (and inspiring) to see you in game.

2. Yes, I think most of the frustration around lootboxes is because AW finally created a lootbox prize vehicle actually worth having. Far too many recent vehicles are like the T8 Stalker, which maybe would have been a good T9 if they added armor | beefed up AC | added 2nd launcher, but unfortunately got pre-released nerfed into meh status.

3. For me, the APS is a huge benefit in addition to the ERA, especially with all the ATGM spam that we have in 0.33. I am definitely living longer with it.

4. There is still a power gap from T9 to T10, so some of these properties do help when engaging higher tier opponents.

DVC, QR