I moved my main pc, hooked it all up and during the windows startup, the power supply cord fell out of the wall socket.  Sparks flying at the wall socket.

And ofcourse it will not turn on again.

However when I remove the powercables from the cpu to the psu, the mobo lights up, the led lights on the rams light up and cycle like normaly and the fans spin up. And gpu seems ok, works in my reserve pc now. 8 year old hardworker, runs fine with AW, but not so well on other things.

Makeing me belive the mobo survived the incident.

So its either the cpu or the cpu outtakes on the psu that is messed up.

Parts :

Intel Core i7-7700 Kaby Lake Prosessor

MSI Z270 Gaming M7, Socket-1151

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3, 750W PSU

Any tips ?

I have already ordered an AMD package including mobo, psu, ram, fan and psu. But would have been nice to salvage the original pc, although the few lgs1151 processors I seen so far cost almost the same as the AMD upgrade package.

Edited by Norse_Viking (see edit history)

Hard to tell unless you have another CPU or mobo you can use to test. Might even be the graphics card or memory, since a power issue anywhere can lead to no POSTs.

Try taking everything out and only booting with the bare essentials first: PSU, mobo, CPU. If that doesn't work, start testing with replacement parts.

Spoiler

Yes such problems are usually easier to sort out if you have a spare working mobo and cpu. I assume you aren't even getting to the POST?

If you have a multimeter you can check the voltages of the cpu pwr of your PSU and make sure those are OK. Otherwise use a different working PSU and see if anything changes. As long as you don't get to the POST it's very hard to tell what's wrong. Only reliable way is to test the cpu on a different board and vice versa. 

Spoiler

fdassdaas.jpg.c709df3e98adc5265f232fe9458a3043.jpg

There is a possibility that you might have a bad PSU.

You need to get a voltmeter and verify the voltages on the rails.  Most of the newerish motherboards do have some sort of voltage regulating on them with some sort of protection.

All things considered the price of a PSU is peanuts to the cost of trying to build up a new computer.

"If you were not birthed with claws or fangs, store bought will do just fine."

I got the parts I ordered. So first thing I tried was to install the new psu, but no response at all. It didnt even light up the motherboard, like the old one did.

But i decided not to mess arround anymore with the problem. And installed the new parts.

Going to send the old parts in for service and see if some of them are still working.

Im so far very satified with the new setup compared to the price i payed for it.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Socket-AM4, 6-Core, 12-Thread, 3.6/4.2GHz, 65W, 7nm, ex. kjøler

ASUS ROG Strix B450-F GAMING, Socket-AM4 Hovedkort, ATX, B450, DDR4, 2x PCIe-x16, 2x M.2, USB 3.1, SupremeFX, Aura Sync,

Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666MHz 16GB 2x8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz, CL16, XMP 2.0, Sort,