Sign in to follow this  
TeyKey1

Griffin 50mm the Doom wagon

Hello guys. I'd like to know your opinion about this vehicle. I really didn't bother having a look at it when it was introduced and only lately bought it. I was expecting a trash tank but oh boi was I wrong. That thing is literally trashing every enemy it faces with ease. The marder kind of feels like a joke compared to this thing let alone the VBR. 

I have played it in PVE and in PVP. It performed exceptionally well in both modes. My PVP stats are as follows currently:

1157210826_ArmoredWarfareScreenshot2020_04.25-19_29_54_80.thumb.png.d7ea0ab7eba5de85dde14e0aa6f678d3.png

Keep in mind it is nearly stock at the moment. 5k average damage blows everything else I own on T8 out of the water except some strong TDs. Again that thing is nearly stock and already dominating.

My setup is as follows currently:

Commander: Sabrina (Gimme all the module dmg)
Driver: Offroad and overall accuracy

Retros:
Reinforced Ammorack (I've never had a vehicle blow up more often than the doom wagon)
Telescope
Breech (All the DPM :kek:)

Infantry:
PVP: Mortar (easy to use nearly always grants over 1k dmg for doing nothing if positioned correctly)
PVE: AT Guys (Higher dmg output than mortar easier to use in PVE than PVP (Bots are dumb usually) )

Pros:

• 50mm gun You can pen the MBTs frontally if you know where to aim. Works at bad angles against most side armour. High module damage (enemies are easy to track)
  • Infantry (You get damage for doing nothing at all)
  • Unmanned turret combined with very good elevation angles (gives you much opportunities to just show your turret while receiving just little damage)
  • Hard-Kill APS (If it's already strong why not make it even stronger?)
  • Good mobility (It gets fast to where it needs to be)
  • Tacticam camouflage (Its good at spotting and concealment

Cons:

• NONE I literally found none
  • OK maybe that it blows up very fast when being hit in the turret. Hence the ammorack retrofit.

In my opinion this thing is ridiculously OP and I have no clue why I've not observed this right after 0.30. It can do anything equal or better than other AFVs at T8. It can deal damage against all sorts of targets by using the 3shot mechanics to its advantage. I have no clue why nobody screamed that this thing is OP after update 0.30 that's why I want to know your opinion about the tank and if you think it is too strong or just right. In my opinion the APS and even maybe the infantry is a bit over the top.

Spoiler

fdassdaas.jpg.c709df3e98adc5265f232fe9458a3043.jpg

The Griffin really is OP, but most people overlook it because it only leads to the Hellfire which isn't something everyone enjoy playing. Also because the Marder and Ramka/Termi are both easier to play.

The 50mm is ridiculously good not only because of its DPM, but also because the 2nd and 3rd shots get penetration buffs to 360mm and 480/540mm (not sure how the stacking works, but still close enough). This is on top of the already very respectable 240mm base penetration, so there are no targets that are truly immune to being plinked to death. Its vision control capabilities are excellent as well, my camo rating when stationary never drops below 30% even when firing non-stop before factoring in the bush camo. I'm using O'Connell with camo/optics/binocs to capitalize on this.

The mobility isn't that good though, acceleration to top speed is fairly sluggish for a squishy just like the Bradley. It's definitely on the slower side compared to the M8-105 or Dragun, but I suppose that's one of its balancing factors.

Ammo rack in the turret isn't too much of an issue most of the time for me, since I still try not to get spotted and shot at in the first place. When I do get hit though, I almost always lose both my ammo rack and gun breech. At least repair kits are free to use now.

It was good before infantry got added, it only got better with no downsides other than being squish.

Spoiler

Yes is a very strong tank, one of the few AC ones where you really don't suffer the lack of missiles. It is a big tank so as it gets a very good camo and is not wheeled i am fine with not having it also super fast, but all you tell about it is true.

For the ammo rack i think that is more a PvP problem, in PvE as you have to live on the camo to survive to the many bots shooting at you and also probably because the bots are scripted to aim at the hull for maximum damage, i have almost no ammo rack fire or explosion.

In PvP a good player knows that weakness and can exploit it, and there are also more situations where you use the terrain to cover the hull using your high dpm and reduced turret damage as there you are not supposed to do 30k dmg fighting in 5 against 40 dumb enemies, and 30k is an easy goal with it in PvE, but in PvP if you do 5k and  face only some of the 15 enemies you do a pretty good game, so to trade reduced damage taken with huge damage done pays much more. So the weakness is somehow useful to balance it, as a player can use it like so, but an other player can counter it causing ammo rack damage.

So even if my retros are the breach one and the 2 view ones probably in PvP the Reinforced Ammo Rack is the right way to go.

As commander in PvE both Erin and Sabrina work well, possibly Erin is the better choice as you live more on the camo and to do damage to the bots components is somehow less important, you will do a lot of damage even without starting less fires, but you can risk more (if the dumb MBT sniper does not drive right next to you killing your camo) and get more spots and fire not spotted in more situations. In PvP damaging components, so tracking tanks, disabling their ability to shot or move the turret and setting fires and ammo rack damage is way more important so Sabrina shines more.

About the Hellfire, as is the Tank unlocked playing the Griffin, I would say that is a very fun and interesting tank, very capable in all the modes. My main problem with it is only about the AGTM Targeting System: it gives a very fast burst as you can spam up to 8 missiles in a very short time, and in PvP it is awesome as you can punish hard every enemy error, but also makes the reload 17% slower, that in PvE maybe is less then optimal.

I would have really liked the chance to equip the component but also to un equip it when you prefer slower burst but a faster reload. Still i think that it is a very good tank and if it does not unlock a T10 one i forgive it, I have anyway a lot of fun and good results playing it.

Ah the Griifin 50mm, a tank I really disliked when i first got it. It felt weak and slow.

Its a beast, and the shooting feels very satisfying.

In PvE the Griffin is utterly ridiculous. In a tier 8 (or even tier 9) game, the Griffin 50 will mostly likely do the most amount of damage if driven by any somewhat competent player. If there is no other autocannon vehicles in the match, it's almost guaranteed to achieve the greatest amount of damage. 

On 4/26/2020 at 4:39 AM, BumbaX said:

About the Hellfire, as is the Tank unlocked playing the Griffin, I would say that is a very fun and interesting tank, very capable in all the modes. My main problem with it is only about the AGTM Targeting System: it gives a very fast burst as you can spam up to 8 missiles in a very short time, and in PvP it is awesome as you can punish hard every enemy error, but also makes the reload 17% slower, that in PvE maybe is less then optimal.

I wouldn't know how it performs in PvE, but the Hellfire is such a cancerous foe to face in PvP. The aforementioned missile burst is disgusting. I genuinely think the Hellfire should be moved up to tier 10. Ripple fired 1300mm pen missiles travelling at 550m/s is considerably more effective than the T10 AFT-10's 1400mm pen HJ-10s. 

I don't own the AFT-10 so I can not tell anything about it, but i love to play GLOPS with my Hellfire for that very reason, i loved it before unlocking the upgrade that let's you fire the missiles so fast, and probably without it was somehow better balanced, I love it even more now that it can erase tanks in no time.

In PvE the hellfire on some maps is almost as good as the Griffin, sometimes i watch in game the team result tab, pissed that I lost some missile on low health targets or for bouncing them or having them reach already killed ones, maybe after i had fired 2 salvos. Then I see that i have let's say 10k dmg instead of the 14-16k i could had if all the shot were perfect, but the rest of the party sits on 5-6k, assuming that there is no Griffin, T15 or Sphinx driven by a competent tanker.

Imo the Griffin -> Hellfire line is one of the best ones as gives you 2 very capable and fun to play tanks, if it does not unlocks a T10 i can forgive it as they are both so good, being good in all the modes, while some other tank is only good in some of them. ie the KEM based T10 can be very strong in GlOPS, but in PvE lacking of mobility and camo can do well only on few maps, and even in them will never shine as can pack up good damage, but is completely missing on the spotting side, while the Hellfire is a good spotter, and does not require to play at long distance to have the best damage and penetration values.

The AFT10 is great and actually useful in all modes. That's actually the reason why I grind this line to get to the Hellfire.

Regarding the Griffin 50mm it seems to be a vehicle that benefits drastically from people who know what to do (at least in PVP). I've seen lots of players perform bad in it, hence why it never really catched my eye until now. So it really seems to be more dependent on the player than an average vehicle.

I already gave feedback on this so let's see what happens. Either way I'll just keep enjoying this vehicle in order to get the mighty Hellfire and punish some players. :snrk:

Spoiler

fdassdaas.jpg.c709df3e98adc5265f232fe9458a3043.jpg